Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun  (Read 87317 times)

Offline nematode

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2010, 05:36:34 PM »
Awesome - thanks very much. Wow... I did it... and 52 pages later... I'm up to date - yeoouch! And now an hour later after reading 52 pages to come full circle on the entire discussion I have reached one profound and crystal clear conclusion - you are all freakin out of your minds! Jimminy Cricket! I'd like to say that I'm more informed and educated about this particular cannon but you know what - I'm dumber now than I was before reading 52 pages! For cryin out loud. Compared to you guys I'm nothing but an end user. Can someone tell me if the bore of the cannon is going to be a set diameter or will there be two options as mentioned earlier. I saw so many numbers about cap bores and breech pins etc that I lost the barrel bore in the mix. 0.50 inches?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2010, 06:51:02 PM »
why buying a new broom ??
I dont think he worn out the old one yet

not after reading all the comments that mike and tracy got to clean up after him  ;D

broom ? ..... is this not what a witch flys on  ?
i have not really ever used a broom ? do they wear out ?

broom .... hum  how quaint , dont you have 'ones'  to use those for you ?  ;D

The wax mess i last left on MT's machine was , ...... waxy . it burned off pretty quick when Mike started turning Krupp tubes .  :o

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2010, 07:54:27 PM »
     I guess it's pretty clear the way you fellows feel about the long or short versions of the cheeks!  Looks like we have some work to do.  Actually, I bet on the good taste of this GBO group and began a new drawing this afternoon.  It's finished now and matches our pole results.  Thanks for all who participated.  So, it's a bit more work for us.  So what.  It will be done right or we won't do it at all.  Period.  As for the folks who want us to maybe include little doo-dads here and there.  Sorry, they just aren't in the budget.  There is no law against personalizing your Krupp after you receive it, however, in fact that sort of thing is fun to do.

These are the only markings we will put on your Krupp.  Location, then type of marking follows:  Under the tube at bottom-dead-center, with steel letter stamps,  USE BLACK POWDER ONLY.   Left trunnion,  KRUPP.    Right Trunnion,  1866.    Under the Breech, on the Base Plate,  SEACOAST ARTILLERY COMPANY  Second line,   S/N 1, 2, 3.............      That's it and that's all.  Clear, concise and informative.  The Safety and Operation's Manual included with each howitzer will detail all that we know about these seacoast guns.  

We just received our .3125" gundrill today from Sterling.  It's a beauty as all of their's are.  Thank goodness it's only $75 and not the $250- $300 that we usually have to pay for the drills around 1".  Mike made a bushing for the big mono-block, air and coolant delivery block that sits on the lathe's saddle.  Neoprene O-Rings seal the drill shank bushing so it will not leak the water-sol coolant all over when the compressed air delivery system is turned on.  Gary Lorenz, who has done more research on the optimum bore size than six other people we know, says that, in his expert opinion, a bore size of 5/16" is best for correct lighting of the fuse and longest flight.  All we can tell you is that when we visited his cracker cannon test ground after work last night, they flew straight and far and popped between 40 and 60 feet away, except for a few that had really FAST fuses.  Unfortunately, that optimum cracker bore size will not allow Crayola crayons to fit.  We WILL accommodate anyone who wants us to open up the bore on their Krupp a little so it can shoot these wax seacoast artillery shells.

We made a few movies and hope to show a couple tomorrow evening.  A still frame capture shot is shown below to give you the idea of what very serious ordnance testing looks like.  Pay no attention to those beer cans.  They are just targets of opportunity that we picked out of the trash.   Yep, just targets, that's all, ahem.....

Tracy and Mike

It was so warm that we shed our ordnance lab coats, other than that, we were one serious research group.  Busy, busy, work, work, bang, bang, biff, POW.................................BLAM!!!  Gary has really nice neighbors, I mean Reeeeeeally nice folks!

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2010, 12:31:14 AM »
yes its for witches , if they wear out or not is mostly depending on how much maintenance they get
flying below the speed of light doesnt tear that much on them , but if you use it a lot at warp 2 they need a total rebuilding every 200 th year

wax can be a good lubricant also , but so does snails
maybe not so suitable for machines as lathes  ;D
do you know that old wagon wheels and of course even cannon wheels with tree axels was actually lubricated with snails
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #184 on: August 24, 2010, 12:35:44 AM »
For four guys sitting around with so called "targets of opportunity" in hand, you all do look quite serious.  But then again, it's a still frame, and photos can lie. ;D

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2010, 01:26:00 AM »
M&T I would like to request the more open bore as I will be using the Seacoast Wax Artillery Shells.   

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #186 on: August 24, 2010, 05:26:19 AM »
M&T I would like to request the more open bore as I will be using the Seacoast Wax Artillery Shells.   

Spuddy,  You took the words out of my fingers. M&T, please open the bore on my Krupp as well. Thankyou.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #187 on: August 24, 2010, 05:50:40 AM »

I too would like the open bore... Thanks!

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #188 on: August 24, 2010, 06:16:51 AM »
In case my previous post made the wrong impression I was trying to convey to all of you that I am not at all at the level the rest of you are. I read all 52 pages of this topic but it was like reading French - I could not really follow what the heck you guys were actually talking about. Way over my head. I'm just a simple end user and nothing more. You guys are all cannon designers or engineers or something. Very impressive. It's cool that SCA is able to jive with everyone and accept good input and even incorporate the best suggestions into the cannon and allow the forum to help shape the final product. Unprecidented spirit of cooperation it seems. My comment that all of you are out of your freakin minds was meant as a compliment about the complexity of this great little cannon and the fact that many of you actually know what the heck it all means. It is kind of like an expanded company where 10 or 15 knowledgable experts beat a good idea around until it is perfected. 2 thumbs up!!

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2010, 06:31:49 AM »
Got to have the Krupped Krayloa size also .  8)
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2010, 10:46:53 AM »
Im just an average swedish fool without any knowledge at all , but after hanging around here at the forum for a coupple of years Ive learned the difference between the muzzle and the breech  ;D
so it aint that difficult
soon I will probably know what the onion is also , or was it tronion ??
or something similar  ::)

keep on reading skip , its fun to learn something new every day
one word here and one there , soon you know the whole "french" language
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #191 on: August 24, 2010, 12:50:27 PM »
What's the diameter of a typical fire cracker?  According to Wiki, the diameter of a crayon is approximately 5/16" (exactly the same bore size you have the drill for).  I don't know if their measurement included the paper wrapper.  How much larger would it need to be to accomodate a crayon?  Applying the 40/39 rule gives 0.3205", or 0.008" larger.  I don't know how much that would apply or be needed, or if more is needed to ease loading.  I don't know how much impact this increase would have on the flight of a fire cracker, but it seems like it may have been better to order the slightly larger drill, since there are so many requests for a Krayola Krupp.  I also don't know how much is involved in increasing the bore to accomodate, assuming my calculations are correct (which is not necessarily a safe assumption).  If there would be a negligible difference in cracker performance at crayon bore, it may be worthwhile to just bore them all to Krayola Krupp.

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #192 on: August 24, 2010, 01:35:30 PM »
Checking the Hornady loading manual shows that the .303 British and a few others use a .312 bullet.
So with a sweging die for resizing cast bullets, you could resize chunks of crayon to fit the .3125 bore, I guess, maybe.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #193 on: August 24, 2010, 06:21:47 PM »
Options ? Tracy you will be building custom cannons with all this nonsense  :o. crayons ARE .335" Dia.
with paper . not sure how this open bore will affect cracker shooting ,but cracker shooting is what i do .

i have no real interest in shooting crayons .

Here is your cannon , now shut up ,or send it back .

but then agian i'm not too bidness savy .  ;D

ymmv gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #194 on: August 25, 2010, 06:53:05 AM »
Reconsidering .... Perhaps the original dia. would be the best . I can make a die to size the Crayloa's.  Thus have Kustom Kruppted Krayloa's as ammo . ;D 
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #195 on: August 25, 2010, 09:24:10 AM »
Hmmm.  Wonder if I could get German firecrackers - to keep histerically correct?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #196 on: August 25, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »
KKK   ;D   hhmmmm
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #197 on: August 25, 2010, 12:45:15 PM »
Though with the crayon bore, you'd have a Krayola Krupp Kannon.  Either way, you can find a new purpose for your bed sheet - a target for splatting crayons on!

Do different brands of fire cracker vary in diameter?  I know there are extremely larger ones, but I'm curious how standardized they are.  Running the crayons through a die should be relatively easy.  I'm with you, Gary, that sticking with a single bore size would be ideal, but Tracy already offered it in either bore, so I'm assuming it's easy enough to increase the size of the bore to crayon size.  I'd probably stick with the fire cracker bore myself, since I didn't realize crayons were that much bigger.

How difficult would it be to make a die for the crayons?  Someone (not even necessary it be M&T) could offer that as a seperate item for those that want to shoot crayons instead of expanding the bore (at an additional cost, assuming it's not too high).

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #198 on: August 25, 2010, 01:00:04 PM »
now thats just ridiculious , sizing a crayon  ;D

what you do is get the first cracker size bore and use bithday candles in it , lord some guys will shoot anything out of a cannon !  ;D  ;)

"yes son ,I leave my cannon to you , it is bored for ...... crayons .......

OR

"yes son ,I leave my cannon to you , it is bored for ........comercialy avalaible hi explosive shells .

I rest my case .  

Gary  

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #199 on: August 25, 2010, 01:06:34 PM »
Maybe it could shoot those little "poppers" that blow up when you throw them on the concrete. :o
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #200 on: August 25, 2010, 02:29:30 PM »
How difficult would it be to make a die for the crayons?
You can buy the dies, Click here

I'll just stick with the 5/16 bore.

Offline Div Arty

• Avid Poster
« Reply #201 on: August 25, 2010, 02:42:23 PM »
I'm sticking with the 5/16" bore.  To make a die, just drill a 1/4" hole through a piece of 1/4" flat stock.  Then ream it out with a 5/16" bitt.  On the bottom side use a countersink and countersink it to about 1/8" from the top side.  Run your crayons through a couple times and your set.   Works on 5/16" dowels also.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #202 on: August 25, 2010, 02:49:03 PM »
crayons is just colored wax , so with a very simple ball mold you can make them in any diameter you want in the kitchen at home
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #203 on: August 25, 2010, 02:53:16 PM »
Wait a minute are you guys talking about shooting these things...a limited edition classic collectible!? I'm getting a hermetically sealed with laser and motion detector alarmed armored glass display case for my mint unfired gun....if there are any left by harvest.

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #204 on: August 25, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »
Wait a minute are you guys talking about shooting these things

I think when the are all delivered we should have a North vs South skirmish.
This could be a way to acquire new artillery utilizing the capture method.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #205 on: August 25, 2010, 03:54:33 PM »
What could be better than shooting at Yankees? ;D  Wait, I didn't order a gun. ???
My machine that prints $100 bills is temporarily out of order. :P
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #206 on: August 25, 2010, 06:05:13 PM »
I'm sticking with the 5/16" bore.  To make a die, just drill a 1/4" hole through a piece of 1/4" flat stock.  Then ream it out with a 5/16" bitt.  On the bottom side use a countersink and countersink it to about 1/8" from the top side.  Run your crayons through a couple times and your set.   Works on 5/16" dowels also.
That's what I was thinking for a die.  Simple, and easy to clean.  Those Lyman ones are far too complex (and expensive) for such a simple purpose.  Of course, that would be only if I buy one of these, and then only if I decide to shoot anything other than fire crackers out of it.  I'd imagine there'd be more of a mess to clean shooting crayon than crackers.  Perhaps we could encase some cheese in a wax and shoot it, so we'd have cheese and crackers! :D

I got out of the phase of buying wall hanger weapons years ago.  If I buy or build something it's got to be functional before anything else - and it must therefore be used.  I've also been waiting for the harvest, though I'm curious how many are spoken for at this time.  Last update was 14 as of 8/23 on post#165.  I think it would be nice to have #20, though I may kick myself if I'm the 21st. :'(  I really want to see the final version, though.  I'm kind of funny about not wanting to commit to buy something until I know exactly what I'm getting. :-\

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #207 on: August 25, 2010, 06:19:27 PM »
The fire crackers I have here mic .250

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #208 on: August 25, 2010, 06:55:23 PM »
Thanks!  I'm going to guess that it would be best to reduce crayons to 1/4" if they are to be used, to more easily fit them in the breech and to more closely match the same flight characteristics of the crackers.  Of course, anyone that wants to can experiment with this.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #209 on: August 25, 2010, 07:06:47 PM »
yes a cracker is less than .312 but when you use the upgraded bulk pack of crackers with the green cannon fuse . They fit nicley in a .312 bore after folding the fuse backward over the cracker .

the dust is in the wind as to how a crayon bore will handle cracker ..... ?