Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun  (Read 87359 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun
« Reply #240 on: September 06, 2010, 06:07:44 PM »
M&T,

May I suggest that you add an archives page to your website.

List all the cannons models your company has made and the total numbers issued.  List any variations and the numbers of each.

If you do this, the information will get absorbed by the great internet archives in Cyberspace.  Then way in the future, my Granddaughter will be able to document the gun when she sells it to get college tuition for her Granddaughter.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #241 on: September 06, 2010, 06:39:39 PM »
... when she sells it to get college tuition for her Granddaughter.

By then the tuition will be $10,000 per unit.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #242 on: September 06, 2010, 06:47:37 PM »
... when she sells it to get college tuition for her Granddaughter.

By then the tuition will be $10,000 per unit.

That's why she will need to sell the gun!

Offline nematode

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #243 on: September 07, 2010, 01:57:36 PM »
Seacoastartillery - thank you for acknowledging my order in the post. Please pardon my ignorance but I am a little confused about what bores are available in the final scheme. When it is time to bore my howitzer can you contact me or let me know what that option might be so I can choose then? I had thought to ask for the largest bore size available for the loudest bang in lieu of shooting firecrackers but the video of you guys shooting a firecracker was darn cool and now I'm not certain which way to go. Either way thank you for making this amazing little cannon available at the absurd low price. Thank you also for being so cool and patient to work out every tiny detail to satisfy the most people possible and to solicit, entertain and implement ideas from the knowledgable people here. I am not thanking you as though I am a person of authority who can reward you for all these things. Rather I am thanking you as a newcomer that appreciates the amazing scenario I have witnessed in this thread. Salute.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #244 on: September 07, 2010, 06:41:17 PM »
There are 2 choices for bore:

5/16" (.312 cal.) OR 9mm (.354 cal.)

5/16 is the bore size that Gary has determined is optimum for firecracker shooting.  If you're sole objective is shooting firecrackers, it's probably best to go with this bore.

9mm is a more versatile bore.  It will allow crayons, those freaky "glitter poms" (which I suspect may make a bit of a mess in the bore), pencil stubs, dried peas, and should allow for decent shooting of fire crackers (though I haven't seen any specific data on the cracker performance out of this bore).

Tracy indicated they would have the Krupp finished this weekend and plan on shooting it in it's finished form:

You will soon see the Krupp Howitzer in all of it's finally completed glory including the deep gun blue from the professional plating shop which does all of our high dollar seacoast cannons.  This very next weekend Mike and I and probably the bronze cannon maker who likes sailboats will go out for a day of Krupp and other cannon shooting and also Canon shooting so we can bring back some pictures for the Calendar Contest.  I believe the submission deadline is September 23, 2010.  

This was said before they offered me Prototype#4, which I'm assuming is the one they were finishing for this weekend's festivities.  If indeed it is, I'm expecting it will have the 9mm bore, so it will give them a chance to see first hand how the different ammunition options work in the 9mm bore vs. the firecracker bore that was already tested in prototype#1 or 2 (not sure which one they were on at the time of the earlier tests).

I doubt there will be a significant difference in sound based soley on the bore, but possibly based on the ammunition being shot.  Crayons will have a waxy sound while firecrackers will seem to have a bit of a hang fire! ;D

I'm looking forward to seeing how my pea-shooter, crayon-cracker Krupp performs!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #245 on: September 08, 2010, 01:32:42 AM »
 this was a first, first proto you know.  Thanks Tim!  What a wonderful opportunity........for us.
Tracy and Mike

So does that make in SN # 0 or SN # -2 ?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #246 on: September 08, 2010, 05:32:08 AM »
Here is some cracker info , the old school 'Black Cats' measure about .285 to . 290 Dia. with the thin grey paper fuse is included .

The much newer and improved 'Black Cats" brand cracker is what I like . 8)

They have a much better green waterproof fuse with a good 4 secs burn time .... letsem get where they are going ! :o
The long burning fuse marks them real good in the grass . Just when you think .....dud .....BOOM! A dandy little mushroom cloud  :D

They are actualy abit smaller ID than the old schoolers but the extra fuse thickness makes up the differance ,so they both come out approx the same by the time they go into the tube .

Keep in mind these projos go in fuse end up or toward the muzzle with the fuse running back arong the length of the cracker .

Gary has not actually 'determined this' what Gary did was take a Brooks Mortar and bore it to .312 to accomadate the new school black cat abit better . It never occurred to me to shoot a black crayon instead of a black cat .

These small guns foul up quick and the increase in drag from shot to shot changes the ammo preformancedue ??? to pressure variations .

So regular cleaning is nessesary if you are actually trying to learn anything about them . At some point the shell goes off in the tube with the charge instantly .
Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #247 on: September 08, 2010, 05:58:28 AM »
These small guns foul up quick and the increase in drag from shot to shot changes the ammo preformancedue ??? to pressure variations .

So regular cleaning is nessesary if you are actually trying to learn anything about them . At some point the shell goes off in the tube with the charge instantly .
Gary

Ah, the little bang theory. Thanks, Gary for that info.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #248 on: September 08, 2010, 07:57:46 AM »
what would happened if you cut the fuse to 1/4" length and put the fuse end in first ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

« Reply #249 on: September 08, 2010, 08:46:53 AM »
what would happened if you cut the fuse to 1/4" length and put the fuse end in first ??

Actually that is what  MikeR C came up with to get air burst with standard F/C's.

We here in Northern Montana have also tried bottle rocket with out the sticks.  Testing continues.

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #250 on: September 08, 2010, 01:35:33 PM »
At some point the shell goes off in the tube
The little bang theory is better than the big one.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #251 on: September 08, 2010, 01:41:40 PM »

I have one firecracker cannon that uses a pinch of powder, cut the fuse off to 1/4" and put in base first then use the rest of the fuse to light the cannon.  Air burst out 20-40 feet.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #252 on: September 09, 2010, 01:30:05 AM »
There are 2 choices for bore:

5/16" (.312 cal.) OR 9mm (.354 cal.)

"5/16 is the bore size that Gary has determined is optimum for firecracker shooting.  If you're sole objective is shooting firecrackers, it's probably best to go with this bore.

9mm is a more versatile bore.  It will allow crayons, those freaky "glitter poms" (which I suspect may make a bit of a mess in the bore), pencil stubs, dried peas, and should allow for decent shooting of fire crackers (though I haven't seen any specific data on the cracker performance out of this bore).

Tracy indicated they would have the Krupp finished this weekend and plan on shooting it in it's finished form"   Thanks for the info GulfCoast - helpful. To be honest I'll be delighted with either bore it seems. If the steel was left w/o the blueing will it corrode or become ugly? I tend to like the raw steel look.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #253 on: September 09, 2010, 07:04:41 AM »
   Due to family activities we will have to postpone our Cape Hale shooting session until the weekend after next, but that's O.K. because the Plater said that we had to have all parts ready for black oxide at 8:00 AM tomorrow.  When you are right in the middle of a gundrilling session that saw ALL of the .354" (9mm) bores drilled on 18 tubes, you don't ever jump up and start doing some completely different thing if you are serious about keeping costs and thus prices, low.  The only exception to that would be to respond to a customer emergency, I guess.  We never had one of those!  

Skipp, you can still pick either the .312" Dia. 'firecracker' bore or the multi-purpose, 9mm bore size.  All guns will be blued; there is no option there. Just send us an email by close of business on Friday and we will give you your choice.    Use this email:   seacoastartillery@gmail.com       Thank you.

Double D,  Sorry, but we won’t be doing that archive thing you mentioned.  Maybe after retirement we will have time.  The info will have to be strictly generic, numbers of what type sold, etc.

Mike proved his worth today as he does almost every day.  While I did the "grinding to the line" job on the cheek pieces, he halted the gundrilling of the 9mm bore tubes and re-sharpened the carbide cutting tip on that gundrill with only 3 pieces to go out of 18 total of that size.  He told me that the cutting edge was eroded just under the very edge and that tool failure was possible.  We bought a new diamond cup wheel last week from MSC and it worked very well indeed after very careful set-up on the mill.  Angles were checked on the Optical Comparator first, so they could be accurately duplicated.  After 2 hours of grinding and inspecting Mike said it was as good as new.  It drilled the 7" deep hole in the last three tubes just as nicely as the first three.

Today we will deep hole drill the seven .312 dia bores in the remaining tubes and sand the cheek bottoms on another 30 parts and maybe start drilling the 1/4" dia. bottom edge bolt holes in the cheeks.  

Thanks for a firecracker primer, Gary and thanks Andy for a clarification of the options available.

Cat Whisperer,  As to your acceptance of a 'second' (wink, wink), I guess that would make it a first, first Proto and a serial Number of FF Proto #1 would be appropriate.  We would never propose to giving an exhaulted east coast moderator or anyone a -2 or minus anything!  We have our standards to maintain, you know.  Tim, it's good to maintain your sense of humor as you go through life.  Fortunately for us, you do.

That's it; enjoy the pics.

Mike and Tracy

P.S.  Now I know what you mean, DD.  And thanks for the "Made in China" comment too.  Sure do appreciate that!!  DD, do you remember what the 'Soup Nazi' said to George Costanza in that most famous of "Seinfeld" episodes.  When George fumbled around and wasted his time, the soup vendor said to him:  "NO SOUP FOR YOU!!  ONE YEAR!!!"  We, unlike the soup vendor, would really hate to say:  "No Krupp for You!" but, if pushed, you never know what could happen.  Wink, wink, wink.

This is what my daughter had to face as she was going to work in Boulder, Colorado this past Monday.  This is Colo. Route 36 just before it makes a bend to the north to become 28th street.  The most destructive fire in Colorado history raged just 4.5  miles from where she works.  

We thought it would be interesting to show you guys what equipment you need to use to drill a gundrilled hole deep into a steel 'round'.
Although there are other ways to do it, we find the Water Soluable Coolant/Lubricant, Compressed Air Driven, Pump by Sterling Gundrills, Inc. works extremely well for us.  You can lubricate the tool, cool it and flush the chips with 900 PSI cutting oil too.  But if a hose bursts or a clamp lets go, LOOK OUT!!  Your entire shop would be completely bathed in cutting oil in just seconds.  Ahhhhh, NO Thanks!!

In this photo you see the pump on the right and cutting fluid and compressed air lines within a spiral, plastic shroud leading to the air/fluid mixer, a venturi device attached to the large, mono-block which holds the drills and reamers rigidly.

This is a close look at the drill-holding fixture we made to provide exact alignment of deep hole drills and reamers, boring bars and finish reamers.  We call it the Mono-Block and it weighs almost 20 Lbs.  It has a series of bushings, having various I.D.s to hold gundrills large and small.  We can hold drills up to 1.500" with this tool.  It has a neoprene 'O'-Ring near the bottom to seal the pressurized cutting fluid and direct it down the long feed hole that is within each gundrill which emerges at the cutting tip of the drill.

First a medium sized, precision, Albrecht drill chuck is installed.  A stout, stub, twist drill is used to pilot drill an undersize hole in the howitzer muzzle, guided by the center-drilled hole already there.

Next the work piece is placed in the 3-jaw chuck and moderately tightened.  The chuck is slowly turned by hand and a test indicator checks the T.I.R. (total indicator runnout) of the workpiece.  F.I.M. (full indicator movement) is checked at the same time.  We need a reading of less that .0005" (5 tenthousanths of an inch) before drilling.  We DO NOT bang on the workpiece with a large mallet to shift the work piece into alignment!  We loosen the chuck slightly, rotate the tube 5 deg. then re-tighten the chuck until we get an indicator reading of less than .0005".  Nothing is damaged that way!!

Here the twist drill drills a short pilot hole about .500" into the muzzle.  This new drill bit was carefully inspected before being used. Remember, 'New' does not always mean Good!

We like reamers which cut .005" at this .3125" size.  You can see the full chip load from reaming that much from the undersize hole.  It cuts .0003" over to .3128" dia. to properly accept the gundrill at .3125" dia.  The precision of these pilot holes is very important for the gundrill.  It drills straight ahead no matter what the attitude, so you better have a good accurate guide hole BEFORE using a gundrill.

Bushings are switched and one made specifically for the .3125" gundrill shank is placed into the Mono-Block.  The air compressor is started and cutting fluid level checked.  Speeds and feeds are 1330 RPM and .0005" per revolution.  This makes drilling this hole a bit more than 8.5 minutes duration.  All of the preparation, tool changes and clean out steps makes it about 1/2 hour per hole, with distractions and lunches it takes two days to do 25 pcs.

The gundrill bit is brought up to the reamed guide hole.  It is gently guided into the hole by hand as the lathe carriage is advanced, and halted just short of the bottom of the guide hole.  The lathe is run up to 1330 RPM AFTER the Misting pump is started.  The carriage advance is then started to begin feeding the bit into the whirling Krupp tube.  As 7.000" is reached an automatic shut-off halts the feed.  The lathe spindle is turned off next and the coolant/cutting fluid pump LAST.

What the drill shank and bushing look like as they are rigidly held in the deep-hole drilling fixture, the Mono-Block.  Gundrilled, thin, crinkle-folded, ribbon-type chips are lying on the block's right edge.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #254 on: September 09, 2010, 07:41:50 AM »
I'm glad to hear that the wildfires are not affecting your family where they live,
I feel bad for all those who have lost everything to the fires, to those that pray
I say don't forget them and everyone fighting the fires in your prayers,
by the looks of things they need them.

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #255 on: September 09, 2010, 08:13:10 AM »

Double D,  Sorry, but we won’t be doing that archive thing you mentioned.  Maybe after retirement we will have time.  The info will have to be strictly generic, numbers of what type sold, etc.

Mike and Tracy

Basic info, something like this, is what I had in mind:

Krupp fire cracker cannon. Limited edition released 10-01-2010 to 10-15-2010. 10 inch barrel. Blue steel  Serial numbers 1-25.  Bores .312 serial numbers 1-3 and 9-12 and 9mm serial numbers 4-8 and 13-25.  Prototype #01 .312 12 inch barrel..    Prototype #02 9 mm short cheeks chrome plated. Retail $249.  Mass production guns released 01-01-2011, Serial numbers starting at 1001, Midnight blue powder coated. Retail $99, marked made in China.  

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #256 on: September 09, 2010, 09:17:09 AM »
OOPS.

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #257 on: September 09, 2010, 09:46:45 AM »
SeaCostArtillery - very cool to see the steps and machines working on the cannons. Thanks very much. DD I have to admit your last comment cracked me up "made in China"  hilarious! 2 thumbs up!!

Offline Double D

« Reply #258 on: September 09, 2010, 10:33:49 AM »
SeaCostArtillery - very cool to see the steps and machines working on the cannons. Thanks very much. DD I have to admit your last comment cracked me up "made in China"  hilarious! 2 thumbs up!!

M&T are ON-tray-prun-newers.  Probably get them $12 per 1000 FOB China

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #259 on: September 09, 2010, 12:00:12 PM »
Midnight Blue Powder coat ! Thats a great idea !!

Tracy then you could make them custom colored too .

You'll need a color code though "Midnight blue" s/b something like code A1

Will you be able to offer crinkle coats too , huuummmm ,  :D I think the color code should be stamped on the bottom , along with model # ,year of actual production , range achieved during live firing ect..... test target would be kind cool too , don't you think so Tracy ?

Will the powder coat be avaiable with the optional engraving ? gotta grave thick I guess ?

I know how about a two tone !  :o
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #260 on: September 09, 2010, 12:26:23 PM »
Midnight Blue Powder coat ! Thats a great idea !!
Tracy then you could make them custom colored too .
You'll need a color code though "Midnight blue" s/b something like code A1
Will you be able to offer crinkle coats too , huuummmm ,  :D I think the color code should be stamped on the bottom , along with model # ,year of actual production , range achieved during live firing ect..... test target would be kind cool too , don't you think so Tracy ?
Will the powder coat be avaiable with the optional engraving ? gotta grave thick I guess ?
I know how about a two tone !  :o

Maybe a girly-boy pink?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #261 on: September 09, 2010, 12:48:41 PM »
The pink color can have a $30 donation to the Susan G Komen foundation. ;)

Personally, I want mine with a gold vermeil finish! (it is a special edition, after all) ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #262 on: September 09, 2010, 01:31:31 PM »
I was going to wait untill after MT cough up some cash for a surge brake job ,but heck , would a sand basted finish be out of the question ?

Glass beaded finished ?

I'm just thinking out loud now so don't take any action on these ideas ,really, I know they are winners all , But you can't be all things to all people so I'd draw the line after custom engraving ,powder coat finshes ,crinkle or smooth , two tone , metal flake , HOW about some pinstripping !  ;D Now there is a great idea ! but again lets wait for feedback on all this B4 you change your production plans agian .

I have some more good ideas , but I feel like I should wait to mention them untill after tommorow ..... for a reason or two ......  :o :P

Flat 4 pin conector Tracy on my end . 2" ball .

Gary

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #263 on: September 09, 2010, 01:43:46 PM »
Pinstriping is right out!  A flame job, however... 8)

Can mine come equipped with a RS-232 connection so I can capture performance data directly to my PC? :D

"Any customer can have a [Krupp] painted any colour he wants so long as it is black."

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #264 on: September 09, 2010, 01:55:28 PM »
How about telling us about that fine looking lathe when you have a bit of time.

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #265 on: September 09, 2010, 02:43:54 PM »
M&T are ON-tray-prun-newers.  Probably get them $12 per 1000 FOB China

took 2 minutes for me to figure out the first part of that - cracked me up again. and the last part - yeah that is funny. i've seen it happen but lets all keep a keep eye out for that other little stamp!

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #266 on: September 09, 2010, 02:47:35 PM »
All this talk about sand blast and other finishes is making me wonder if we could get some custom etching around the barrel and trunions. You know some flurdeslis would look nice. Maybe option B for anyone that doesn't like flurdeslis could be some machine crosshatching - imagine the entire barrel textured that way, could be nice. I've heard of a mallot and pin method for texturing Stainless too - looks awesome, like the barrel was submerged in saltwater a hundred years - could be option C on patina. Option D could be your family coat of arms on the barrel... man now there's an idea! So many choices and so little time!

Offline Double D

« Reply #267 on: September 09, 2010, 02:51:51 PM »
Oh darn, I left the door open and everybody jumped in my sandbox...

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #268 on: September 09, 2010, 05:14:13 PM »
     Soot,   We would be glad to tell you about the new lathe, well 5 years ago it was new.  When Mike and I saw the writing on the wall and realized that our Industrial calibration and inspection service was not going to meet revenue expectations in 2002, after 8 successful years,we decided to change the name and the type of business from a service one to a nitch manufacturing one.  We began looking for equipment of the correct size and capabilities for manufacturing cannons.  We figured correctly that a 16 X 60 engine lathe would do what we wanted.  We found that nothing serious of that size was being built in the US and very few in Europe.  The Japanese lathes were far more sophisticated and expensive.  Only the Chinese lathes can be purchased new for what most of us would consider a reasonable price, between 8 and 18 thousand dollars.  

The Birmingham brand had all the features we needed and was priced at $8,500 with a few basic pieces of tooling.  We spent about $5,000 more on tooling and fixed or improved the large chucks supplied with the lathe.  We have an $800 precision 3 jaw chuck that we just love made by BUCK.  Most of the heavy duty steady rests were made by us and have special specs designed to handle a few unique shapes and sizes of work we see on the regular basis.   Replacement change gears are quite commonly available.  We have one that takes the fairly fine feed of .001" per revolution down by 50% to .0005" per rev. a very nice capability to have if you like fine finishes OR want to do GUNDRILLING or Boring occasionally!

This size is so popular that we really don't worry too much about replacement parts.  So far they have been available with overnight delivery.

As for my thread devolving into a sticky quagmire of impossible expectations, what can you possibly do when one moderator starts collecting nematodes and then lets them go in fertile subject matter.  However, an old Infantryman like me tries really hard to always be prepared.  What service do hard pressed Infantrymen call on when the weather is foul and they need an all-weather force multiplier?  Tube Artillery, of course!!  It's reliable, accurate and quick to respond.  Watch out Montana troublemaker, a quick call to my retired Artillery buddy in Pulaski, Virginia and you are toast!  He has some BIG Stuff available I'm told.  He, he, he, wink, wink.

Tracy and Mike

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #269 on: September 09, 2010, 05:49:55 PM »
Should have said so before, but those were nice update pictures.  Thanks for showing us more in progress work.