Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun  (Read 87293 times)

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun
« Reply #270 on: September 09, 2010, 08:10:49 PM »
Maybe Red, White and Blue on the barrel for a patriotic touch? Or Starz and Stripes?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #271 on: September 09, 2010, 08:30:23 PM »
Maybe Red, White and Blue on the barrel for a patriotic touch? Or Starz and Stripes?

That's been done.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #272 on: September 09, 2010, 08:59:55 PM »

That's been done.

Yes, it was done on that mortar and quite nicely, too.  Now to get M&T to do it on a Krupp.    ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #273 on: September 10, 2010, 12:41:54 AM »
Shouldn't it be black, white, and red?  It's German... (click the link if you think black, red, and gold are the German colors)

Of course, it would also be appropriate to have the Krupp insignia on it:

Image sourced from Wikipedia directly

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #274 on: September 10, 2010, 04:13:44 AM »
[As for my thread devolving into a sticky quagmire of impossible expectations, what can you possibly do when one moderator starts collecting nematodes and then lets them go in fertile subject matter.  However, an old Infantryman like me tries really hard to always be prepared.  What service do hard pressed Infantrymen call on when the weather is foul and they need an all-weather force multiplier?  Tube Artillery, of course!!  It's reliable, accurate and quick to respond.  Watch out Montana troublemaker, a quick call to my retired Artillery buddy in Pulaski, Virginia and you are toast!  He has some BIG Stuff available I'm told.  He, he, he, wink, wink.]

You know.. I've been called a lot of things but never in my 54 "fertile" rooting years have I been called a nematode. Nematode the man says. Hmmm.. I'm impressed! 2 thumbs up Mike or Tracy!! My check is in this mornings mail and I can't wait to see this really cool cannon. If a bunch of us nematodes put videos in youtube firing these Krupp replicas it might help Mike and Tracy get some orders for round 2 of production in the new year - who's with me! I just have to get some powder and fuse - guess it's time to bite the bullet and pay hazard shipping since I have found no one locally to buy from direct. With 2 black powder cannons at my beck and call it's time to get serious! Heads up men, there's going to be some noise and flash in Delaware!

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #275 on: September 10, 2010, 07:32:15 AM »
I have exhausted efforts to find a supplier that I can easily drive to for black powder. I will be ordering Goex FFG and 1/8" safety fuse for my SuperX brass cannon by Brooks-USA and would like to add what will be needed to fire the Krupp Howitzer to same order and save shipping costs. Can someone advise what I will need to fire this cannon? Thank you very much.

Offline Double D

« Reply #276 on: September 10, 2010, 07:55:05 AM »
I have exhausted efforts to find a supplier that I can easily drive to for black powder. I will be ordering Goex FFG and 1/8" safety fuse for my SuperX brass cannon by Brooks-USA and would like to add what will be needed to fire the Krupp Howitzer to same order and save shipping costs. Can someone advise what I will need to fire this cannon? Thank you very much.

Be sure to read the response to your other post before you order.

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #277 on: September 10, 2010, 12:37:24 PM »

According to the post on p3, #11 percussion caps (standard single shot pistol/rifle caps) and FFg powder + your choice of ammunition:

Here we tap the hole 1/4-28 in the newly-turned breech block for the #11 percussion-cap nipple threads.  

The block has been rotated 180 degs. and is now in the 'Loading' position, ready for a 5 to 10 grain charge of FFg powder.  The next movement of the block is transverse, to the right along the groove for that purpose until the charge is in the center above the chamber.  A forward 90 deg. rotation aligns the captive powder charge with the back end of the 'shell', in this case, a firecracker.
(Click on the quote citation for the full post and pictures.)

Seacoast, can you let us know if there's anything else.  Also, is there any benefit to magnum caps (they're supposed to burn a bit hotter at the sacrifice of being dirtier)?  I haven't seen any in small arms, but I've used them when that's what I had.

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #278 on: September 10, 2010, 12:45:36 PM »
BTW, if you're in Delaware, you may try calling the Bass Pro in the Baltimore area to see if they have some (all the Bass Pro shops around here stock it, though they keep it hidden, so you have to ask for it):

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPageC?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&appID=94&storeID=2
7000 Arundel Mills Circle
Hanover, MD 21076
Phone: 410-689-2500

It's not the cheapest supplier, but for a couple of pounds it'll save you from buying more than you want and having to pay the shipping/HAZMAT.

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #279 on: September 10, 2010, 01:04:26 PM »
Gcoast - thank you very much. I'm in one of those states (unless there aren't any others) where even firecrackers are illegal. If I want to launch black cats I'll have to torture myself to get them too. If I end up mail ordering I'll try to get everything I need for both my cannons ordered at once. Looks like I only need one powder - FFG so that will simplify the order a little bit. I have contacted BassPro in MD and since no one in hunting section wanted to answer the phone through two passes, I hung up and emailed their sales manager with my questions. Actually, I had acted on a tip from Double D who had suggested the same supplier in another thread so thank you both. Before this is over I'll have some videos for you guys - of that you can be certain! I think you'll enjoy them and feel some small reward for putting up with me and my ignorance in the forum. Thanks again.

Offline robbob

« Reply #280 on: September 10, 2010, 01:06:33 PM »
The amount of work that is going into these little guys is amazing :o.

Sent my depost in this moring's mail ;D

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #281 on: September 10, 2010, 01:34:21 PM »
agreed robbob. it's one thing to make something intricate that is art with function when finished. it's another thing to make more than one of the same intricate thing and get the same consistent result from each copy. it's another thing to make something intricate that is art with function in replicate and have vision and know what the heck you are actually making. anyone can follow a recipe and get a good batch of cookies but not everyone knows why the cookies turn out so good. it is obvious that seacoastartillery is a unique place where people know what they are doing, why they are doing it and love what they do. this is the kind of work that dare i say it, America was built on.

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #282 on: September 10, 2010, 02:40:59 PM »
...Before this is over I'll have some videos for you guys - of that you can be certain! I think you'll enjoy them and feel some small reward for putting up with me and my ignorance in the forum. Thanks again.
No worries -you've got too low a post count for us to have had to "put up with you" too much.  This is a friendly bunch that's always happy to help out each other and the new guys.  That's why we stick around here. 

Of course we'll enjoy seeing your pictures and videos, but stop sounding like a guest - you're one of us now!  You don't have to knock on the door or feel you're intruding, just come in.  We all learn from each other and help each other out as much as we can.

You are right that seacoast (M&T) know their work intimately and are passionate about producing the best possible products.  They got to that point by sharing with and learning from others over many years, partially here.  I often think the best way to learn anything is to teach it, and Mike and Tracy have done their share of teaching.  Stick around and share about your experiences, and one day you may be hailed as you hail them! ;)

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #283 on: September 10, 2010, 04:28:05 PM »
GCoast - thanks for taking time to reply to me so often. Your points are well taken and I appreciate the welcome. I'll be around and look forward to more exchanges.

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #284 on: September 11, 2010, 04:12:03 AM »
I just realized the name change!  Classic! ;D

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #285 on: September 11, 2010, 07:01:16 AM »
I just realized the name change!  Classic! ;D

<bowing low>

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #286 on: September 14, 2010, 03:57:44 PM »
     First we want to thank Skip77 (nematode) for his order.  We certainly appreciate it, Skip.  Thank you!

We would also like to thank our newest Krupp owner, Robbob.  Thank you!

Well. tonight we will keep this post brief and to the point.  Work continues on those Krupp guns.  I am very close to bringing all those cheeks out of the basement shop, the grinding and sawing and bending shop, up into the machine shop for hole drilling.  I will probably drill those 28 holes needed in each set of cheeks since Mike has drilled so many large ones these past 2 days in the tube.  See the photos below.

Tracy and Mike 

Evidence of hole drilling on the mill, on the floor, twirling around the drill bit and filling the waste barrel.

Just one to go and all eighteen of the 9mm cannon tubes will have their breech block hole and their trunnion holes drilled.  The seven .312" dia. tubes are next.  No. 17 is on the mill.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #287 on: September 14, 2010, 04:28:43 PM »
Those barrels look awesome. You guys are the best!

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #288 on: September 14, 2010, 05:26:32 PM »
    First we want to thank Skip77 (nematode) for his order.  We certainly appreciate it, Skip.  Thank you!

We would also like to thank our newest Krupp owner, Robbob.  Thank you!

Well. tonight we will keep this post brief and to the point.  Work continues on those Krupp guns.  I am very close to bringing all those cheeks out of the basement shop, the grinding and sawing and bending shop, up into the machine shop for hole drilling.  I will probably drill those 28 holes needed in each set of cheeks since Mike has drilled so many large ones these past 2 days in the tube.  See the photos below.

Tracy and Mike  

Evidence of hole drilling on the mill, on the floor, twirling around the drill bit and filling the waste barrel.

Just one to go and all eighteen of the 9mm cannon tubes will have their breech block hole and their trunnion holes drilled.  The seven .312" dia. tubes are next.  No. 17 is on the mill.

T & M,
There is a difference in the muzzle of the bottom right barrel.  Why?
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #289 on: September 14, 2010, 05:43:31 PM »
 ;) good eye zulu ! it's a ......i can't say .....
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #290 on: September 14, 2010, 05:49:36 PM »
One of the prototypes?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #291 on: September 14, 2010, 05:52:25 PM »
Beer gun....

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #292 on: September 14, 2010, 08:33:30 PM »
     Thanks Skip, we try.  Good eye, Zulu!  Can't remember if we told Gary about this Krupp tube.  Double D., Come on, is that what you really think?  You know the calculating duo better than that!  Gaskill is on top of it once again.  Gun tube #25 was a little short with the apologies of the steel yard bandsaw operator.  Actually he did an exceptional job and got us 24 to spec. out of a 20 foot long, 2.5" dia. round of cold rolled, 1018 steel.  I figured that we would get 23 good pcs. with the saw kerf, bandsaw inaccuracies, etc.  This long, thick muzzle gun was an experimental tube we used to overcome the balance problems of proto #2.  Proto #2 was muzzle light and begged for the hold down effect of capsquares, but capsquares were not in the budget, so another solution had to be found for the floating tube effect at near maximum elevation.

We thought that we needed more weight up front, so we conducted several experiments with proto #2 and the 25th tube, the .25" short one.  First we clamped one little 2" Kant-Twist Klamp on proto#2 near the muzzle face, then ran the tube through all angles of elevation.  She still floated up out of the trunnion cradles just a little.  Another Kant-Twist Klamp was added just behind the first.  Now we had enough weight; the tube had no tendency to float now, even at max elevation.  So, after first weighing the two Klamps, an extensive weighing exercise began. Every cylinder on the whole tube was weighed, or rather, calculated, a full two pages of notes worth.  All voids were calculated for their weight too, and placed in the minus column.

A determination was made that extra thickness up front could be had by re-dimensioning the whole built-up hoop configuration which was done.  All bands were a little thicker up front, but even that wasn't enough when the breech lengthening to make more room for projectile loading was considered.  It added almost as much as we had just made up for.  The trunnion shifting and balance experiments followed and went on into the next day.  Finally we had a number.  Move trunnions to the rear .170" and proper balance will be achieved, we calculated.  It worked and the First Edition Proto #3 was created with about 40 different dimensional changes and many different improvements including the anti-float, tube balance improvement.

That's about it.

Mike and Tracy

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #293 on: September 15, 2010, 01:23:40 AM »
M&T,
Your updates go very well with my cup of coffee each morning.  It is enjoyable to anticipate and read your posts.  I am going to miss them when this project is finished.  I guess I will have to wait until the 150 lb Armstrong Rifle starts design and production.  Great job guys.
Tim

Offline Double D

« Reply #294 on: September 15, 2010, 04:43:30 AM »
I don't know what you were thinking, but I was thinking when you guys laid those pieces out for the picture one of ya stuck the prototype on end and said. "betcha a beer the guys notice that right away"

Zulu's one of the guys....   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And if it's number 25 that would make it the last in the series, wouldn't? Ho'boy oh boy!!!!!!!!!

It raining up here and the grain is still green!!!  I'm working on some other scheme....how much cerrobend do you need for fixturing?

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #295 on: September 15, 2010, 10:36:50 AM »
as the official and only true nematode in the group i'd like to add that i spotted the oddball barrel right away too but presumed it a prototype and no need to crack open a discussion around it. see, even a nematode can be observant - WATCH OUT!

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #296 on: September 15, 2010, 11:31:17 AM »
The TDC finder trick is about the handiest thing I've learned in a long time.
I've been using it quite a bit in my new mill.

Offline Josco

« Reply #297 on: September 15, 2010, 12:11:22 PM »
Soot,

How close to center TIR can you find using that method? After using an edgefinder all these years I'll have to try that method. I can usually get .001 using an edgefinder.

Thanks
   Joe

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #298 on: September 15, 2010, 02:31:31 PM »
Josco, I just got the mill and I'm real short on tooling so I don't have any way to measure it. M&T say is within .004 and everything looks dead on.
The things I've been doing aren't super critical so I'm just going with it.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #299 on: September 15, 2010, 04:28:20 PM »
     Spuddy,  We are glad to provide a bit of entertainment with your morning coffee a few days a week.  We will add that to our long list of reasons to do what we do.  We are very fond of telling the truth when we say that, "We are having more fun than working people are supposed to have!"

Skip, sharp eye.  Keep it up!  Double D., we would not know what to do with more cerrobend.  And, NO, you can't pay us in gum, but we might let you pay us in 12" sanding disks, because I am using up so many, grinding all this steel to clean up the bandsawed edges on the cheeks.  Also carbide turning tool inserts and boring bar inserts and face mill inserts.  Soot and Josco, although we had been using that gunsmith's trick for years and years, we only checked it's accuracy in the early 90s when we started our own inspection and calibration service.  You can say with certainty that standard computer hardware tolerance of + /- .005" can be met by this method, but closer tolerance work like you find in the aerospace industry cannot.  When we, former journeyman inspectors, say this method is accurate to within .004", we mean within +/- .004" or a total zone, .008" wide.  You can cause far more error by NOT using a centerdrill than you can by using this quick, drill, location method.

We use edgefinders too, and consider them, with careful use, good to +/- .0005" day in, day out.

Mike and Tracy