Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun  (Read 87203 times)

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Re: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun
« Reply #360 on: October 28, 2010, 08:01:52 AM »
And like a teenager he is over paid !! ;D

Seriously his life has become so Kruppt'd that a new work ethic has evolved .

Not a passing day goes by with out Kruppt'd thoughts .

It's a Kruppt'd disease caused buy a rampant kruppted virus released in the Kolorado area . The only Know Kure is to work submarginal , low paying ,dirty , exhausting jobs to obtain a Seacoast Krupp !

As a friend I encourage him to continue his quest till his kure is komplete.

Krupption is a difficult but kurable kondition.
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #361 on: October 28, 2010, 08:11:24 AM »
Kurable?

WHY?

;D ;D

ENJOY the quest!   

Is there a Krupp beer?
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Is there a Krupp beer?
« Reply #362 on: October 28, 2010, 08:30:24 AM »
Drink enough of any brand and it will Krupp you  ;D

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #363 on: October 28, 2010, 09:09:24 AM »
I kontest that!  Kan you konclusively say it's kompletely kurable?
Kulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #364 on: October 28, 2010, 09:38:54 AM »
I haven't a Klue what's going on here but they say absolute power Kruupps absolutly
so if that's the case then it's possible DD has been kruppted though there are many
here who have been krupped krupption is rampant throughout the forum who kan say
they have not felt the urge to be Kruppted since this thread started I should know
since I was Kruppted early on.... should we resist krupption? NO! we must embrace
it and be one with it!
  ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #365 on: October 28, 2010, 09:44:22 AM »
Okay Kabar, I konkur.
Kulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Randell

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #366 on: October 28, 2010, 09:52:41 AM »
Kant we all just ket a long!!

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #367 on: October 28, 2010, 12:05:48 PM »
The kontrived kwest for kuring Kruption, being fully kalculated and konceived komplete, has kommenced karefully and shall kontinue 'til full Kruppage be known by DD! ;)

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #368 on: October 28, 2010, 01:14:01 PM »
Wher is Elmer Fudd when you  need him ?  ???  ::)  :P

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #369 on: October 28, 2010, 02:42:50 PM »
Wher is Elmer Fudd when you  need him ?  ???  ::)  :P

Hunting waskely wabbits.

;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #370 on: October 28, 2010, 04:43:58 PM »
     I feel like an elementary school teacher charged with enforcing the school's PC Rules at an all grades Halloween Costume Parade in the school's gymnasium.  Looking out over the costumed mob of 250 kids, I realize that one coach's whistle and two student teacher assistants is not going to cut it!  Very quickly and with emphasis, I issue orders to the milling mass and the two assistants.  Ms. Peters, grab the Camel Cigarette Pack girl and show her and her parents the door!  It was O.K. in '62, but in 2010, NO!  Ms. Moss, look.  That big spider hovering over little miss Muffet!  If the spider is a girl, it's O.K.  If it's a boy, get them to switch costumes.  Peters!  Look at that Crusader, YES, the one with the Big Cross on his shield!  Get that kid out of here; he could offend half the kids and parents here!!  Wow Ms. Moss, look at the craftspersonship of the bomb belt worn by this little boy.  How original!  Move him up to the front.  And so it goes.

Don't know what all the K stuff is all about, but an update is due so here it is.

Tracy & Mike

Mike removes steel from the cracker-loading groove with a 3/16", solid carbide, end mill.

Relief and tap drill holes with critical locations are drilled here.  The left one for the guide pin-screw which positions the rotating and sliding breech block.

This 'exploded view' lets you see where the two screws go and what they do.  The 8-32 screw on the right tightens up and clamps the striker-assy can against the breech block just before firing.  The handle rotates just 100 degrees to do this.

I may have posted this one before, but I wanted to get all of the Hot-Rolled Steel Scale Removable pics together in one series, so if someone has some of this steel they can now remove this nasty "Furnace Finish" scale easily and completely.  There are 4 gallons of white vinegar and 2 gallons of water in the tub.  Thanks for that tip Double D. !!  Can you see all the bubbles?  24 hours gets most of it; 48 hours gets all of it.

Those are cottonwood leaves; they all came down during the second day of vinegar soaking.  Two parts at a time are withdrawn to keep them in matched pairs.

From the acid bath, the pair of cheeks go to the Stop Etch bucket which has a saturated solution of Baking Soda, (a base), 2 Lbs. in 4 gallons of water to neutralize the acid's action.  They remain here while the previous pair is hand sanded on all 4 sides and green-pad scrubbed on all edges, about 20 minutes.

A simple jig made with scrap plywood and short drywall screws is used here with an 80 or 120 grit, foam-backed, sanding pad and plenty of WD-40 or Kerosine for lube and metal dust removal.

About 30 forceful strokes per side is required.  When all black smudge marks (former scale) are removed, the parts are stacked in matched pairs is a special 'Polish Done Area'.  After that they go to the mill for hole drilling.  Any process questions?  Just ask.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #371 on: October 28, 2010, 06:45:29 PM »
The K thing started a number of pages back during another time when there hadn't been an update for a while.  That's the sort of craziness that ensues when the wacky people on this board get restless!

Thanks for showing some progress pictures and details.  Dissolving iron in vinegar creates iron acetate, which can react with tannin in wood to age it, in a similar manner as aquafortis.  The end result will depend on the concentration, the wood, and reaction time.  I've experimented with this, and ended up using it for my naval carriage.  Before you discard the acid, you may want to test out some different woods you have sitting around so you can see the effects.  I recommend filtering it to remove any particulate matter before using it on wood - I used auto paint filters, though regular coffee filters would probably work just as well.

Watch out - red oak may turn purple (oaks, being high in tannin react more aggressively than most other woods), but applying some linseed oil (or possibly tung oil) on it will give you the final color, which I think is a nicely aged look.  The purpling is actually how my carronade got it's name - I told the story of my purple cannon to some friends of mine, and in seperate tellings, they all said it should be called "Barney."  The name stuck! ;D

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #372 on: October 29, 2010, 08:18:21 AM »
A guy goes away for a couple of days and all kinds of silliness breaks out here...

Mike and Tracy,

The Weekend crew should finish up and harvest will be finished for the year. Maybe have one last day Monday. But for the most part it's done.

I was listening  to the radio on the way in to town this morning and they said spring wheat was going for $7.66 a bushel.   So that means I need 35 bushels to pay for my Krupp Gun.  

It's going to take 94 large Post Office Flat rate boxes to send you guys that much wheat.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #373 on: October 29, 2010, 08:22:39 AM »
A guy goes away for a couple of days and all kinds of silliness breaks out here...

How many beers / bushels in that pile?
 ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #374 on: October 29, 2010, 08:51:58 AM »
It's wheat so it probably going for Krispy Kreme donuts instead of beer....I don't know how many bushel, but there is four semi's and seven 10 ton truck loads in that pile and it took us all day to make it.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #375 on: October 29, 2010, 01:45:22 PM »
Guesstimate , 8000 bu.  but that may not be korrect .  ::)

From that pile will come DD's Kuest for a Krupp ! ;D

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #376 on: October 29, 2010, 02:29:54 PM »
It could be turned into Weißbier.  I just spent a while looking at various sources online (like this site: (http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter19-3.html)), and couldn't determine an easy way to calculate the total amount of beer that could be produced with 35 bushels of wheat, though I don't feel that the time was wasted.

What I have found indicates that most weizens are made from a mix of barley and wheat.  This is because wheat "must be mashed with barley as it does not contain the enzyme to convert its starches to soluble sugar and needs to “borrow” these enzymes from the barley" (http://homebrewandbeer.com/ingredients.html).  There may be different ratios depending on the recipe (German tradition requires a minimum of 50% wheat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hefeweizen#Weissbier)), but a 60/40 split will be used for my purposes here, based on the recipe on the link above for "Three Weisse Guys - American Wheat Beer".  This recipe is for a 4.5 gal batch (the site claims the batch will bottle into 48 12 oz. bottles, which is also 36 pints).

Based on the information I found, there is approximately 80-90% yield from malt to brew (I won't need to use this efficiency, as it's already assumed in the total 4.5 gal yield).  In addition, as far as I can tell, there is about 79% yield from raw wheat to malt, and barley is similar.  I will be assuming this yield to be 80%.

This recipe calls for 6 lbs. Wheat Malt extract (60% wheat 40% barley).

So, for 6 lbs. of Wheat Malt extract, we have a 4.5 gal yield.  But 6 lbs. is the combined amount of 60% wheat and 40% barley, malted with an efficiency of 80%.  Using the 80% efficiency, we'd need to start out with 7.5 lbs. of the 60/40 mix of raw barley and wheat (6 lbs. / .80).  Because we only need to consider the wheat here, we need 60% of the 7.5 lbs. of raw grain, or 4.5 lbs. of raw wheat to yield 5 gal of this recipe (7.5 lbs. *.6).

Okay, so for every 4.5 lbs. of raw wheat, when added to various other ingredients and processed accordingly, will give us 4.5 gal of beer.  So we have a surprisingly easy number to work with - a 1:1 ratio of raw wheat to gallons of beer!

Now to determine how much wheat you have in lbs.  1 bushel of wheat os about 60 lbs. (http://www.wheatfoods.org/AboutWheat-wheat-facts/Index.htm).  If you send M&T 35 bushels of wheat, that would be 2100lbs. of wheat, which could yield 2100 gal. of beer, or 22,400 bottles or 16,800 pints.

Of course, with 4 semi's and seven 10 ton truck loads, that would make a whole lot of hefeweizen, but since I don't know how much the semi's were filled to, it's hard to quantify.  I'll try to quantify it anyway!  I found one source that said their "semi trailer can hold about 1200 bushels" (http://home.earthlink.net/~rghayes/perlingerphotos.html), and another that runs "two semi's one has takes about 1000 bushels on a tandem and the other is tridem which takes about 1500" (http://combineforums.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=grainhandling&action=print&thread=16568).  Assuming the 1200 bu is average for a semi, the Net bushels for 4 semi's is 4800 bu.  Using the conversion of 36.74371 bu. of Wheat per metric ton (http://www.smallgrains.org/WHFACTS/convert.htm), since there were 7 10 ton trucks, this adds another 2572 bu (36.74 bu/ton * 70 ton).  In all, a full haul of the complement of 4 semi's and 7 10 ton trucks is about 7372 bu (nice guesstimate Southpaw!).

The total amount of beer you can produce with that mount, if my numbers are accurate (which they probably aren't) is 442,320 gal or 3,538,560 pints or 4,718,163 bottles! :o ...  ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #377 on: October 29, 2010, 02:45:21 PM »
Kutnzppe , Krupp , Katouir , do you get it ....? It's a joke ......
These Krupp Kreations has made Kray Konfigyourasions of kiddos of Konsiderable Kage  ;D

shizzle?

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #378 on: October 29, 2010, 03:13:17 PM »
      Double D. wrote:       I was listening  to the radio on the way in to town this morning and they said spring wheat was going for $7.66 a bushel.   So that means I need 35 bushels to pay for my Krupp Gun.  It's going to take 94 large Post Office Flat rate boxes to send you guys that much wheat.

That doesn't sound like a very good deal for you DD, because along with the cost of the wheat, you have substantial shipping charges which will, at a minimum, exceed $1,000.00  Plus the dynamic duo would consider such an unexpected barter arrangement almost a hostile act.  We could over react and fill a bunch of mealie bags we have in storage with all that wheat and build a mealie bag redoubt with biscuit box traverses and lay a few Martinis up on the parapet just prior to your expected visit. :o :o  After all, we always promised you a warm welcome!!
Seriously though, you know we are flexible, DD; you could always pay us in Gum!

Gulfcoastblackpowder,   We never tried that oak staining method, but I used aquafortis to rid myself of planter's warts when I was 10.  Even though the Docs solution was very diluted, it really stung when a drop would get on healthy tissue.  Aquaregia is the cat's meow for dissolving gold.  Tried it on a few specks I dredged from South Boulder Creek years ago.  Poof!  They were gone!!

Southpaw,  we now know that you were the instigator of all the 'K' stuff.  We will have to keep an eye on you.   ;D ;D

Gulfcoast,   Only 442,320 gallons?  Heck, Gary has a least that much in 6 packs stacked in his basement. ::) ::)

Mike and Tracy

Offline Double D

« Reply #379 on: October 29, 2010, 04:07:28 PM »
     Double D. wrote:       I was listening  to the radio on the way in to town this morning and they said spring wheat was going for $7.66 a bushel.   So that means I need 35 bushels to pay for my Krupp Gun.  It's going to take 94 large Post Office Flat rate boxes to send you guys that much wheat.

That doesn't sound like a very good deal for you DD, because along with the cost of the wheat, you have substantial shipping charges which will, at a minimum, exceed $1,000.00  Plus the dynamic duo would consider such an unexpected barter arrangement almost a hostile act.  We could over react and fill a bunch of mealie bags we have in storage with all that wheat and build a mealie bag redoubt with biscuit box traverses and lay a few Martinis up on the parapet just prior to your expected visit. :o :o  After all, we always promised you a warm welcome!!
Seriously though, you know we are flexible, DD; you could always pay us in Gum!

Gulfcoastblackpowder,   We never tried that oak staining method, but I used aquafortis to rid myself of planter's warts when I was 10.  Even though the Docs solution was very diluted, it really stung when a drop would get on healthy tissue.  Aquaregia is the cat's meow for dissolving gold.  Tried it on a few specks I dredged from South Boulder Creek years ago.  Poof!  They were gone!!

Southpaw,  we now know that you were the instigator of all the 'K' stuff.  We will have to keep an eye on you.   ;D ;D

Gulfcoast,   Only 442,320 gallons?  Heck, Gary has a least that much in 6 packs stacked in his basement. ::) ::)

Mike and Tracy

Boy there is a lot of Krupp on this board...cannons that is.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #380 on: October 29, 2010, 04:50:58 PM »
Yes but if he sends them the wheat we may never see our Krupp's!

As T&M start a new endeavor.....................Micro-brewery......... don't encourage this!
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #381 on: October 29, 2010, 05:27:49 PM »
Brewing one's own beer is OK.
Mine is put up under the label:  Chateau Barracks.

;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #382 on: October 29, 2010, 05:35:53 PM »
Indeed, it would be quite a shipping charge to ship 35 bushels, though if DD started brewing it, he would only have to ship the final product, and it would cost a lot less to ship $250 worth of beer.  He could probably have the first batch done before M&T get the Krupp finished!

I've posted this picture before, but to illustrate the point, this is my carriage made of red oak, treated with my homemade acid stain made by dissolving steel wool in vinegar, and then rubbing in some linseed oil.  I have the test blocks I did when I was working out the technique, and was able to produce varying colors based on the time I left the acid to work, whether or not it was pretreated with ammonia or tea, and even some other woods I used which responded vary differently due to their different tannin content (you can see an example of this in the wood on the wedge and the shaft for the rammer, both of which had a much lower tannin content than the oak).  Getting the stuff on the skin was mildly irritating, and stained the skin.  Would definitely advise wearing gloves.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #383 on: October 30, 2010, 04:50:32 AM »
Indeed, it would be quite a shipping charge to ship 35 bushels, though if DD started brewing it, he would only have to ship the final product, and it would cost a lot less to ship $250 worth of beer.  He could probably have the first batch done before M&T get the Krupp finished!

I've posted this picture before, but to illustrate the point, this is my carriage made of red oak, treated with my homemade acid stain made by dissolving steel wool in vinegar, and then rubbing in some linseed oil.  I have the test blocks I did when I was working out the technique, and was able to produce varying colors based on the time I left the acid to work, whether or not it was pretreated with ammonia or tea, and even some other woods I used which responded vary differently due to their different tannin content (you can see an example of this in the wood on the wedge and the shaft for the rammer, both of which had a much lower tannin content than the oak).  Getting the stuff on the skin was mildly irritating, and stained the skin.  Would definitely advise wearing gloves.

This gun barrel looks to be the same barrel that is posted on the "OLD Cannon" thread.  Is it a Dixie Gun Works carronade?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #384 on: October 30, 2010, 05:58:40 AM »
It's a Hern 5/8 Carronade (I bought it direct from Hern a few years ago).  I think Dixie sells some Hern barrels.  I noticed the similarity too, but mine is lined, the contours are slightly different, and Hern has only been in business since the 70's according to their site, so it couldn't have been theirs if it was made in the 50's.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #385 on: October 30, 2010, 06:34:15 AM »
The one on the old cannon thread id different,  less muzzle swell

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #386 on: October 30, 2010, 08:12:38 AM »
When I brewed beer ,many moons ago I had "Down Stream Beer" (ale) .

"Beer so light it had the head on the bottom "

I think "Deaths Doorknob" was another .

.....I must go to my basement and see if Tracy knows something I don't know !

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #387 on: October 30, 2010, 02:04:55 PM »
dont be shy now  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

« Reply #388 on: November 02, 2010, 07:56:55 AM »
       We have just finished calculating the cost of making these Krupp Howitzers.  This allows us to now announce the price to all you who have expressed interest out there.  This price is $249.00 plus $14.00 S&H to U.S. customers.  We regret that these cannon cannot be exported at this time.

Okay, I'll get a check in the mail today...how many are left?  Will you ship before you are sold out!!!   Are firecrackers included?

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #389 on: November 02, 2010, 10:47:26 AM »
     Eureeka!!   The day Mike and I have been waiting for has arrived!  Congratulations DD, you are almost an owner.  We were beginning to think that all the tractor driving money was going into one of those Al Gore 'Lock Boxes' and we would never see any of it!  I just told Mike it looks like it's going to be surf and turf soon and to hold off on opening that 100 Lb. sack of Dove Creek Beans.

Seriously though, we think you will be pleased with your #24.  Remember we are making 24 new ones and finishing that First Edition, Prototype #4 that we promised to gulfcoastblackpowder.  There are still 5 unspoken for; I think I miscounted before and said 4.  Actually it's 5 as yet for sale.  Still available are S/Ns 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23.

We will ship before we are sold out only after every detail is completed on every howitzer.  Sorry, we don't have the necessary licenses to ship firecrackers, so we won't be doing any of that.  It's a pretty tame country we have these days when you can't even ship 'Recreational Explosives'!  Oh well, just a sign of the times.  Both Mike and I and just about everyone we know voted early.

Tracy and Mike