Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun  (Read 87189 times)

Offline battleshipduke

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun
« Reply #450 on: January 09, 2011, 07:38:18 AM »
Wow, That Seacoast Gun is amazing. The machined barrel is awesome and the detail on the whole gun is the nicest I have ever seen including museum pieces. After seeing that I will defiantly have to step up my game and start working on a bigger gun with a nicer mount. Very nice work and thank you for the inspiration.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #451 on: January 09, 2011, 08:35:34 AM »
YUP!

You did GOOD!  Especially for a balsum!

;D

It deserves it's own award though.  I've got a great pix for the "KaBoom" award, but that wouldn't fit.

Hmmmm.   Something between Scrooge and ....
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #452 on: January 09, 2011, 12:02:09 PM »
    This is a very small update of Krupp Howitzer production, but it may have some interest to those who are thinking of some day putting some stamped letters or numbers on their cannon.  A bunch of pictures detail a type of easily built fixture to keep everything square and spaced correctly.

But first, a completely off topic suggestion of a new award that could be given out to deserving members who like to pinch their pennies until Lincoln squeals.  Cat Whisperer, this is your chance to shine, just as Double D. has with his Kewpie Award.  Some people, including me, have long resisted the pushes, shoves, and pleadings to get an artificial Christmas tree.  I finally gave up the long fought battle to keep the sweet smell of a Balsam Fir in the house for 3 weeks a year.  But, the way I did it deserves an award, let's call it the Ebineezer Scrooge Award!  See pic below.

Stamping pics will come a little later, after I round them all up.

Tracy

The last tree Lowes had at 75% OFF, floor display model without a box purchased 3 days ago.  A smaller than usual, for us, five footer.  You can see all the roominess of the smart car!  There's plenty of room for the tree and the driver too, who is holding his sales receipt with the $16 plus tax price on it.
Timothy, what do you think?

Thanks for the nice compliments, Battleshipduke.  We try really hard to do a good job on the details.  Most of the time we succeed.

Eventually you will think of something more appropriate than 'Ebineezer', Tim.  What does the KaBoom Award entail?  What criteria must a photo satisfy?  Just curious.

The details of this mini-update are in the cations to the pics.  We are about 3 to 4 weeks from delivery right now, barring some last minute hold up.

Tracy and Mike

The Krupp tubes all lined up for marking of the trunnion faces, 1866 on the right trunnion and KRUPP on the left one.  The eight tubes in the right row are .312 cal. and the rest are .354 cal. (9mm).  

With the tube held firmly in Baltic Birch, soft jaws, trunnion axis straight up and down, tube level, you can see the bottom of the little fixture we made to align the stamps.  The bandsaw cut lets you clamp down on the trunnion via a cross-bolt, while the rimbase has a c'bore with clearance.  

The fixture's top with the back fence and left hand end stop where two feeler gages of .021" and .022" are located.  This amount of initial offset lets the first stamp, that for the number 1 in 1866, be held firmly in the correct place when you put the first spacer block ( see 4 of them on the vice's anvil) between the feeler gage stack and the No. 1 stamp.  

All we had left was a short 1/4-28 socket head cap-screw, so Mike put it way down in a deep c'bore.  You can see what a former gunsmith will do to overcome the fact that L-shaped Allen wrenches are not long enough and the seacoast guys don't have a complete set of T-handle Allen wrenches!
Oh, just a little Snug here, don't tighten completely!

Aerospace industry accuracy can be had, if you know how to make a "Sight Gage".  This one is simply a 12" steel scale taped to the stamp fixture, it's edge pressed tightly along the back fence. If you align the fixture by eye this way, you can expect each number can be plus or minus .0025" from a datum line which is parallel to the gun's bore axis.     When I used to inspect Titan Rockets back in the 80s, we had some sight gages that would position holes within a few thousanths of an inch and they were 'Yards' apart!  Believe it or not, that's the truth.  And in 'clocking' a feature to say just seconds, you can do it over and over with a sight gage which has and indicator arm that may go out to 10 feet and point at a huge 20 foot graduated circle scale with degree grads, minutes and seconds on it.  Extreme accuracy, and no computer in sight!!

A little light tapping with a plastic mallet and you have the back fence accurately aligned and are ready for complete screw tightening now to lock the fixture onto the .750" dia. trunnion.

With the tube tight in the vice and the fixture tightly on the right trunnion and the first number stamp in place held tightly against the back fence and the first spacer against the shims and left hand end-stop, I am ready to make the first impression.      STOP!!     Do you have a Heavy, ball peen, hammer??  If not, go out and buy one right now.  Another old gunsmith trick is to always use a heavy hammer lightly or with moderate blows.  There is MUCH more control this way.  Much more than you will have by whaling away with a light or medium hammer to get similar results.  Fewer, hard to remove errors means the job is done more quickly and looks better too!  Try to keep the hammer face square to the stamp at the moment of impact for clean looking impressions.  

Done correctly the 1866 should look like this.  Hope it's big enough to see.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #453 on: January 09, 2011, 01:21:11 PM »
"Why do you call it a lathe?"

An interesting question, certainly one with some teaching opportunities.  Here is someone's idea of why, although my answer for today is, "that is what we were taught; that is what we have always called it.  It probably should be called a turning machine or a threading machine or a drilling machine or a boring machine or a TTDB machine because that is what it is used for, but it isn't.  And since it can do so many things, maybe it is better to call it a lathe which has no other definition."
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #454 on: January 09, 2011, 03:26:23 PM »
Good Link George, good to have several perspectives.

Lathe -  check out each of the references http://www.onelook.com/

the first one from:  http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/lathe?view=uk

Entry from World dictionary

Pronunciation:/leɪð/noun
a machine for shaping wood, metal, or other material by means of a rotating drive which turns the piece being worked on against changeable cutting tools. verb
[with object]
shape with a lathe.
Origin:
Middle Englsh, probably from old Danish 'lad' structure or frame, perhaps from old Norse 'hlath' pile, heap, related to hlatha, (see LADE)
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline lance

« Reply #455 on: January 10, 2011, 08:40:59 AM »
Mike and Tracy, i wonder if we can work something out?, i'm not doing very much at the moment, and would be very glad to set up some targets, and test fire one of your excellent Krupp Seacoast guns. That's if you are kind enough to send me one :)
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #456 on: January 11, 2011, 01:46:10 AM »
The Krupps are looking good!  Is that mini lathe in the back ground missing the lead screw?

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #457 on: January 11, 2011, 03:16:32 AM »
The Krupps are looking good!  Is that mini lathe in the back ground missing the lead screw?

It sure looks like the lead screw is elsewhere...Probably being replaced with one that has a finer tolerance.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #458 on: January 11, 2011, 08:54:44 AM »
Mike and Tracy, i wonder if we can work something out?, i'm not doing very much at the moment, and would be very glad to set up some targets, and test fire one of your excellent Krupp Seacoast guns. That's if you are kind enough to send me one :)

Lance, good to hear from you.  Unfortunately, we can't help you out.  We do not own any of the production Krupps and our only, built to completion, prototype is being used as an 'Arsenal Model'.  Occasionally it's nice to have the real thing nearby, so you can throw a caliper on some feature before machining 25 pieces to the wrong dimension, because your in-process operation print has a big oil smudge on it!  Mike and I are hoping that you will post a few pics of your balloon-cannon shooting.

The Krupps are looking good!  Is that mini lathe in the back ground missing the lead screw?

We will call you Hawkeye from now on, Dom.  Right you are.  It was removed by Mike just before he went to California for another 10 days.  He was in the process of taking it all apart for the first thorough cleaning in 7 years.  The machine has been a real boon to our shop during that time, but lately it has been sizzling gears and the carriage has been sticking instead of sliding.  He will be rebuilding the entire machine, replacing all the old gears, replacing all wipers, etc.  After I turned the threads off the 5/16" elevation screws, there wasn't any job planned to go on it for several weeks.  He figures one day should get it done after all the replacement parts come in.  Since we won a Geometric Die-Head auction on Fleabay, that machine has not laid idle for more than a couple days at a time!

It sure looks like the lead screw is elsewhere...Probably being replaced with one that has a finer tolerance.

Sorry ti disappoint you, Allen, but you just read the whole saga of our mini-lathe.  There is no more to it!  We are always after precision tools though and a while ago bid on a Mahr Bore Gage with extensions that let us get bore sizes from 5/8" to 2" from 1" deep to 36" deep.  The resolution is in tenths.  That's machinist lingo for ten-thousanths of an inch!  That's the good part AND the govt. auction price of $86.61.  This Bore Gage went for about 10 to 15 times that new.

Regards,

Tracy

Offline lance

« Reply #459 on: January 11, 2011, 01:59:03 PM »
O.K. Mike and Tracy............I'll be glad to e-mail you a few short video clips of balloon shooting, or even burn you a DVD and put it in the mail box.
I'd pick the DVD, because it has the full balloon shoot. Let me know what you want.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #460 on: January 11, 2011, 03:04:01 PM »
Lance, PM sent.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #461 on: January 14, 2011, 02:58:35 AM »
I purchased a book yesterday titled German Artillery of WW 2 by Ian Hogg and on page 106 there is a photo of the barrel, very similar to the awesome firecracker ones being reproduced by M&T. This one, known as the 28 cm Haubitze L/12 has only a slightly different [tapered] chase. The barrel is mounted on a 360 degree turn table Barbette style carriage with hydraulic dampers and crane.  Two of the photos show the barrel being lowered to the carriage.  

The article states; " This was an old Krupp equipment dating back to pre - World War 1 days.  A few were still on inventory during World War 2, but they were statically emplaced as defensive weapons- largely owing to the considerable time (3 to 4 days) required to emplace them.  A massive ground platform had to be assembled and dug in, and the weapon was then literally built on top of it using winches and gins.  The H L 12 was the only bag - charge gun of the German design in service until the ring obturation experiments began in 1943 - 1944."

Photos, later...

FYI ,  Dom

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #462 on: January 17, 2011, 03:11:22 PM »
     Dom,  I would like to see a couple of those pics posted, if you have the time.  I found that book available at all the online used book stores.  Incredibly, Ian Hogg has 123 other titles to his credit and a few are co-authored.  Almost all titles are military weapons inspired or firearms related.

Yesterday and today I worked on final deburring of all parts except the tubes and numerically classifying each base plate and transom.  The cheeks are already numbered 1-24 and P4.  Because of some variations in the 'face-of-rimbase' to 'face-of-rimbase' dimension, 3 sets of base plates and transoms had to be custom built about .020" to .050" wider than all the others.  Live and learn; the next time we do this we will have a 50 ton press rather than a 20 ton.

Regards,

Tracy

With all the critical 'mating' dimensions checked and listed by size, the first Functional Fit Assy. is begun.  We started with Gulfcoast's Krupp carriage, S/N P4, and are going backwards up to S/N 1.  Why should he always be last?  I am running in the 4-40 screws for the transom in this photo.  After all the carriages are assembled, the tubes will be placed upon them and then each of these parts will be labeled with the same S/N that the cheeks already have.  That way we can put these critical fit assys. back together, using the correct parts, after they receive their final blued finish.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #463 on: January 17, 2011, 03:39:32 PM »
Ahhhhhhhh.  True to tradition, every (censored word) part serial numbered!

;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #464 on: January 18, 2011, 02:40:49 AM »
     Dom,  I would like to see a couple of those pics posted, if you have the time.     

I get the photos to you.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #465 on: January 19, 2011, 12:44:15 PM »

With all the critical 'mating' dimensions checked and listed by size, the first Functional Fit Assy. is begun.  We started with Gulfcoast's Krupp carriage, S/N P4, and are going backwards up to S/N 1.  Why should he always be last?  I am running in the 4-40 screws for the transom in this photo.  After all the carriages are assembled, the tubes will be placed upon them and then each of these parts will be labeled with the same S/N that the cheeks already have.  That way we can put these critical fit assys. back together, using the correct parts, after they receive their final blued finish.
And the first shall be last and the last shall be first! ;D  (Not that I mind being last.)

It's nice to see them coming together!

I'm also looking forward to seeing those pictures, Dom!

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #466 on: January 20, 2011, 07:37:55 AM »
rubbing hands together - good things come to those who wait and this is a perfect example. sure appreciate all the expertise and workmanship that has gone into this unprecidented project. SCA rocks!

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #467 on: January 21, 2011, 06:11:12 AM »
Ahhhhhhhh.  True to tradition, every (censored word) part serial numbered!
 ;D

Tim, I have yet to master the banned word list.  But, for the life of me, I can't figure out what would be wrong with, "every darn part serial numbered!"  It wouldn't be true though.  Only critical fit parts are serial numbered, just seven parts. 

Thanks Dom.  Strange that they should look so similar, being about 80 years apart in the design.

And the first shall be last and the last shall be first! ;D  (Not that I mind being last.) 

I'm just trying to figure out why I had your tube positioned at the end of the rows.  It's the 4th Prototype, the very last one, in which the important changes to the carriage were made, that of stretching and lowering.  In fact you can see the old, 3rd proto scribe marks on the inside of the right cheek, those show a different radius and a different length.  There's a story to be told in that alone.  But the position should be one in front of number one rather than behind #24.  I mean, who in their right mind would want to wait behind Double D. in a line, anyway. He would be reminding you constantly that You were behind Him!  He, he.   ;D ;D

Thank you, Nematoad!  We appreciate that and the following photo will show what 3 hours of sorting, juggling and switching tubes will get you.  We are now at that point where all the carriages are in order by the numbers and all tubes fit and everyone has their correct, requested caliber.  Cheek numbering and caliber designation and customer names will keep all my hard work in order until all seven parts are stamped with the serial numbers.  Only one howitzer at a time will be dissasembled for S/N stamping and then set aside for a final visual inspection and deburring of all sharp edges on the tubes.  Then they get packed for the trip to the Plater for their black oxide finish (Bluing).  I'm going to leave the cutting of the striker springs, (the last of the manufacturing operations) to Mike.  He will be back in Broomfield on Monday and will need something to do.

Getting close!

Tracy

The next time you see these, it will be after bluing and final assembly, ready for packaging and shipping at the end of the first week in Feb.  Soon, an email from us will give payment info to those that have not done that yet.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #468 on: January 21, 2011, 06:53:28 AM »
OOOOoooooWwww!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D I'm getting excited!!!!!!

Now before they are dispersed to their new owners you need to do a Utube video
with the 1812 Oveiture playing and do some mass firings!  ;D

This photo reminds me of one of the dock at Bannerman's Island around WWI when it was loaded
with heavy guns being sold back to the goverment for the war.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #469 on: January 21, 2011, 06:59:29 AM »

All is quiet on the Eastern Front.....
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #470 on: January 21, 2011, 11:01:17 AM »
If not the 1812, at least do another mass photograph of the finished guns.  That's a fantastic picture, and not just because mine is in the forefront (though that certainly doesn't detract from my appreciation of it!).  Is #24 the only one with the breech assembly installed?

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #471 on: January 21, 2011, 01:35:56 PM »
     About the 1812 Overture, is KABAR2 wants to fly out here to stand ready and clean every one of the howitzers thoroughly after they have finished their musical debut, then we will agree to do it.

All is quiet on the Eastern Front.....

Very good CW, very, very good.  We could add, BUT NOT FOR VERY LONG!!

Gulfcoastblackpowder,   We could do another group pic of the blued and finished guns.  Yes, you are correct; for some reason Mike picked DD's howitzer to use for functional striker trials using the new, more powerful springs.  As I recall it was pop, pop, pop all afternoon, one day about two months ago.  So, please don't tell Double D that the howitzer he's getting is really a 'used' howitzer, (but we refer to it as "thoroughly function-tested") for a, and this is really good for us, new price!    SSSSSsssssh....... don't tell him.

Someone sent me an email to ask what parts will be serial numbered.  You all should know, so you can look for them if you want to.  The Krupp Howitzer piece-parts that I am serial number stamping today are the Base Plate (Bolster), the Transom, the Tube, the Striker Assy. Can and the Breech Block.  The two Cheeks are already serial number stamped.

Back to stamping,

Tracy

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #472 on: January 21, 2011, 06:32:57 PM »

Gulfcoastblackpowder,   We could do another group pic of the blued and finished guns.  Yes, you are correct; for some reason Mike picked DD's howitzer to use for functional striker trials using the new, more powerful springs.  As I recall it was pop, pop, pop all afternoon, one day about two months ago.  So, please don't tell Double D that the howitzer he's getting is really a 'used' howitzer, (but we refer to it as "thoroughly function-tested") for a, and this is really good for us, new price!    SSSSSsssssh....... don't tell him.

So, you're charging him extra for the extensive testing, then? ;)

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #473 on: January 21, 2011, 08:41:38 PM »
Somewhere in those rows I think I saw the one I'm getting. Nice battery! Looking good!!!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #474 on: January 22, 2011, 01:20:09 AM »

mine's the 3rd one in the second row.   ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #475 on: January 22, 2011, 02:03:32 AM »

This kind of reminded me of a group of proud fathers outside of the nursery at a hospital.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #476 on: January 22, 2011, 07:51:15 AM »
     I was going to leave this alone until we were ready to load these guns on a donkey cart and ship them out!  But I just can't let Cat Whisperer's comment go unchallenged.

First, Gulfcoastblackpowder, the answer is yes.  He's in the chips now. That testing is worth an extra $50 we figure.  I mean you have to know that grain harvest money is burning a hole in his jeans!  For the life of me I can't quite understand how he got that gig the second time.  Didn't he say his pal, Ernie put his Name out to quite a few of the growers who needed this service?  Well, if you recognize the name then your mind goes back to last season and all the dogleg rows, squiggly rows and 45 degree starts on a new row at the end of the field, etc.wouldn't you say, No thanks. I just don't understand it, but we are real happy he got the job, And, most of all, the payment for the work!!

Ex49'er, you are toward the middle of the first row if memory serves.  We are proud to have yours in the line-up!

Nope, wrong row, wrong number, but you're being cute with us aren't you?  You can see that TZ on the second howitzer from the end of the first row, right?

Just think of it, a  KRUPP for KUNTZ made by KUNZE and COUTURE!  I think the Krauts outnumber the Frogs by three to one!

Spuddy,   I've been through that several times and if I gazed through the window and saw a boy who looked like one of those, I would say,  No need to name this one,  SUE !!!

Tracy

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #477 on: January 22, 2011, 10:46:28 AM »
I figured I'd have a good chance of hitting it since either row could be first and that would make 4 ends for whcih to come in to the 3rd one.  ::)

Since this particular model is short, this will be a KURTZ KRUPP for KUNTZ made by KUNZE and COUTURE!  ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #478 on: January 22, 2011, 12:41:27 PM »
First the baiting, and now the PUNishment... ;D

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #479 on: February 13, 2011, 07:50:17 AM »
Allis ist quiet on Ze Vestern Front...........