Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun  (Read 87197 times)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun
« Reply #480 on: February 13, 2011, 09:28:12 AM »
  All is quiet before the 'Storm of Deliveries'!  Payment due emails go out tomorrow; the plater gets them for bluing on Thursday; packaging will be developed to protect the Krupps during transit by next week Wednesday and deliveries start after that for those who prepaid and after checks clear for those who did not.  OOPS, we have been so busy deburring and polishing that we forgot to write the safety and instruction manual.  One will be included with each howitzer.  Also, we dropped the Black Powder Only stamping.  Our Lawyer Dagget says, "Don't bother as that is not bullet-proof language.  Besides you can't even fit enough black powder in this breech loading cannon to possibly cause any harm if you load the powder in breech block chamber where you are supposed to!!

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #481 on: February 13, 2011, 10:13:44 AM »
Hmmmph.  I was looking foreward to seeing if "Blackpowder Only" was going to be in high German or Low German.   Krupp!   :P

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #482 on: February 13, 2011, 10:20:17 AM »
BP only text or not, I'm looking forward to receiving my Krupp.  I wish my county didn't ban fireworks sales.  I'll have to hunt down some firecrackers so I can test it out.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #483 on: February 13, 2011, 01:08:44 PM »
   Also, we dropped the Black Powder Only stamping.  Our Lawyer Dagget says, "Don't bother as that is not bullet-proof language.  Mike and Tracy

There is not enough room on the cannon for a "bullet-proof" liability dis-claimer.    :)

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #484 on: February 13, 2011, 04:11:59 PM »
I think it's a safe bet that those who ordered them know enough as to the type of powder to use....
I think it's also a safe bet that those who ordered them take responsibility for their own actions and or stupidity
and won't be suing anyone at SeaCoast Artillery besides if I wanted legaleses on my gun I'd buy a Ruger......

Looking forward to seeing mine!  ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #485 on: February 13, 2011, 05:05:43 PM »
     Our lawyer know a lot about guns and gunners and liability litigation.  His best advice yet is to overbuild by a factor of 3 as far as protection from the effects of pressures go and then you can tell future litigants to "Go Fish!".  We currently do this if you consider all relevant factors:  metal thickness, type of metal and metal heat treatment which has a lot to do with strength of alloy steel.  These low-carbon steel firecracker guns are overbuilt by a factor of 10 if loaded correctly.
     You guys are both correct; there is Not enough room and if I want to see that stuff I can buy a one size fits all, commercial firearm.  If we ever put those warnings on a cannon we build, we are seriously considering stamping it in High or Low German depending on our mood for that day.  Actually, stamping the warnings in German may help our sales.  Everyone knows that Germans make the best toys!

Tracy and Mike

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #486 on: February 14, 2011, 01:32:50 AM »
 These low-carbon steel firecracker guns are overbuilt by a factor of 10 if loaded correctly.
Actually, stamping the warnings in German may help our sales.  Everyone knows that Germans make the best toys!

Tracy and Mike

Hmmm.  Too short a bbl to get 10 firecrackers in it!   :'(

Ya!

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #487 on: February 14, 2011, 04:16:16 AM »
not too long now kiddies .... ! ;D

these things are very cool , the wait will be worth it . i've seen them as of a day ago , all laid out and labled with tape as to which is who's .

better go check the mail box ..... every day ,like Ralpie in A Christmas Story. is it here yet ??? 8)

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #488 on: February 14, 2011, 05:46:00 AM »
better go check the mail box ..... every day ,like Ralpie in A Christmas Story. is it here yet ??? 8)
Gary

I don't think the neighbors would like me camping out in front of the mailbox. They probably wouldn't want to hear that I wuz waiting for a cannon.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #489 on: February 14, 2011, 06:58:52 AM »
:o Me Want! ME WAnt! Hee hee har har hee hee.........

Good thing I don't live close by..... It would end up costing me twice as much........

you know the old sign in the repair shop......

"If you leave it  $ XX

If you wait         $XXX

If you watch       $XXXXX

If you help           $XXXXXXXXX.........
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #490 on: February 14, 2011, 07:02:33 AM »
     Now CW, you shouldn't give anyone ideas on how to create a bore obstruction.  Remember, it's better to have a relaxed shooting session with crackers or crayons, shooting them one at a time with just enough powder to light, then propel them; 4 or 5 grains is all you need.  Frankly, in these days of tight money, it brings a smile to my face when I just think about spending a leisurely afternoon shooting the Krupp Howitzer for less than 50 cents!  I get all the broken crayons I want from my grandson as long as he can view the shooting. 

Gary, you don't have a clue that the real excitement for the seacoast boys is yet to come.  Drop testing the carefully selected packaging components within a flat-rate USPS shipping box will be a hoot since the 15 foot free-fall test will feature Your Krupp, Our Packaging and Our concrete slab behind the shop.   :o :o :o  You are invited to attend, of course, so confident are we, in our crush-zone calculations!!

Mark,  you are probably right.  Even laid back neighbors like me might be a little nervous if they saw you living in a camoflage tent next to your mailbox and wearing one of those sweatshirts with those ominous sayings on them like, "Most difficult problems can be solved with the proper application of High Explosives!   ;) ;) ;)

Soon, gentlemen, soon.

Mike and Tracy

P.S.  Allen, do you ever have that cost concept nailed.  The Colo. School of Trades, in the late 70s had one more category appropriate for gunsmiths.  At the end of that list I seem to recall something like:  "For a basket case with missing parts, multiply the highest rate by 3 to calculate your cost."

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #491 on: February 14, 2011, 07:15:40 AM »
     Now CW, you shouldn't give anyone ideas on how to create a bore obstruction.

Agree, and your financial arguement carries a LOT of weight.

Speaking of weight, easy on the gravity checks.   ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #492 on: February 17, 2011, 04:20:33 AM »
Sadly I sit Basking in the sun 1500 miles from my mail box . :'(
Daughter only forwarding the junk mail  8)
Waiting for all new tires to come . We blew a tire on the road from Quartzsite to Peoria ,Az .
Service truck came out from Buckeye . Had to rewire  where the tire cap tore stuff up . 375$ later we were on the road again . Decided life was too short to spend it stalled out in the middle of the dessert waiting for help.
Played @ 6 Music jams in Q , lots of fun . Heading for Apache Junction for more jamm'n this week end.
Miss DD's Visits  but life is good in the sunny south where no sone is to be seen .
Not always near the computer to follow board  ,miss it also . :-\
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #493 on: February 21, 2011, 05:28:32 PM »
So, I need to stock up on #11 percussion caps.  how much and what grade BP!

Offline Double D

« Reply #494 on: February 21, 2011, 05:52:27 PM »
Did you guys notice this post ranks number 5 in replies on  all of GBO. 

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #495 on: February 21, 2011, 07:54:11 PM »
     Double D,   I don't know about 'stocking up', two tins should last quite a while.  The Krupp Howitzer uses a #10 nipple, so we have had good luck with CCI #10 percussion caps.  Another brand such as Remington works fine as well.  We have found that FFFg black powder works best.  FFg is almost as good, but a little less push.  Fg is unreliable; we don't use it.  FFFg  lights the fuse reliably and has enough snap to propel the cracker or crayon out to 25 or 30 feet on most shots with just 4 grains of BP.  You can get about 1,750 shots per can with this load, even with a 'Magnum' load of 5 grains you still get 1,400 shots per can.  Talk about economy!

Please let us know if you did not receive a payment due email over the last week.  Without a scan of your check or M.O. on file we cannot ship you a Krupp.  To those who have sent us payment, thank you.

Mike & Tracy

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #496 on: February 21, 2011, 08:49:23 PM »
I stocked up on my #11 caps today. I'll have to go back to town tomorrow and exchange them for #10's. There's a couple cans of 3FG in the safe.

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #497 on: February 21, 2011, 11:51:31 PM »
All my percussion guns use #11.  Would it be feasible to change out the nipple to a #11, or is this a critical design element?

Check's going out in the mail today!

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #498 on: February 22, 2011, 05:13:10 AM »

All my percussion guns use #11.  Would it be feasible to change out the nipple to a #11, or is this a critical design element?
Check's going out in the mail today!

At the time that we bought them, the #10 caps were the only ones available in the quantity that we wanted.  You can use a No. 11 nipple if you find one short enough to go into the breech block and that allows a cap to be fitted normally such that it lies below the surface of the cylindrical block.

Ex 49'er,  sorry you have to do that;  you probably remember our early experiments in which we used a No. 11 nipple and caps because that's what one of Mike's small black powder revolvers used.  It was really short and fit just fine, but then was unavailable in quantity from the suppliers we checked.

Everything goes to be blued tomorrow; just assy. and packaging after that.  We have to buy more plywood.

Mike and Tracy

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #499 on: February 22, 2011, 10:40:44 AM »
Good to know.  Do you happen to know the threading on the #10 nipple offhand?  (I'm certain you do, since that would be a requirement in tapping the breech - it would save me the time of checking, and would let me know if I've already got a compatible one sitting around.)

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #500 on: February 22, 2011, 02:22:21 PM »
     Gulfcoastblackpowder,   We are glad you asked.  you must use a nipple, either No. 10 or No. 11 that has a 1/4-28 threaded shank.  Wait until you get your howitzer before you buy anything.  You must use a really short nipple that allows the cap to fit under the breech block's cylindrical surface.

A Special Warning is this:  Do Not mill or grind off a portion of the threaded shank of a longer than supplied nipple in order to shorten the over all length.  This can result in your removing all of the .020" dia. hole where the percussion cap gasses exit, opening up the orifice to .080" or .100" significantly increasing the backpressure through the nipple and the amount of gasses going through the nipple, (a BAD situation).  DO NOT DO THIS.

Tracy & Mike

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #501 on: February 22, 2011, 04:40:37 PM »
Though I would never remove threads to shorten a nipple, thank you for posting the warning in case anyone else may have been thinking about it.  1/4-28 is one of the most common sizes of nipples out there, so I don't see it being too hard to find one in #11 that will fit.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #502 on: February 22, 2011, 07:53:34 PM »
Went to town today and traded my #11 caps for #10's. 1 box(10 tins) ought to be enough; that's alot of crayolas!

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #503 on: February 23, 2011, 10:57:48 AM »
You're still going to run out of caps before you finish off 1lb of powder at the recommended loads.  Maybe you should go back and get another 1000. ;D

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #504 on: February 23, 2011, 02:33:59 PM »
The store I bought the caps at is a 2nd hand store. They were selling the caps in a lot. All they have left are musket caps and #11's. I got my fffg powder from this store, too. Years from now when I die this store will probably get my cannons and powder and other goodies.

Offline Double D

« Reply #505 on: February 23, 2011, 03:25:16 PM »
The store I bought the caps at is a 2nd hand store. They were selling the caps in a lot. All they have left are musket caps and #11's. I got my fffg powder from this store, too. Years from now when I die this store will probably get my cannons and powder and other goodies.

Great loyalty!!! 

Of course we would rather you put a link in your will to the the GBO Cannon Classifieds so we could have a shot at them.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #506 on: February 23, 2011, 03:59:38 PM »
I don't remember if my stash of primers are #10 or 11"s.
I bought them 20 + years ago for my BP rifle and pistols .
It's a 1500 mile drive to check so will have to wait till April to have a look see. ::)
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Double D

« Reply #507 on: February 23, 2011, 05:28:36 PM »
It's a 1500 mile drive to check so will have to wait till April to have a look see. ::)

Don't forget to go see George!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #508 on: February 24, 2011, 12:19:16 AM »

Don't forget to go see George!

And there's room at the inn here in Virginia!

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #509 on: February 25, 2011, 04:24:27 AM »
Im glad you guys arent stamping any dos or donts on the cannon. It leaves room for my experimental nitroglycerin and homemade plastic explosive charges and I can't wait to test them!

(relax... i'm teasing!)