Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun  (Read 87271 times)

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Re: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun
« Reply #540 on: March 05, 2011, 07:12:27 PM »
DD had the nerve to call me in Sunny California and brag about his being the first out the door !
At least my water is not freezing up in my camper as is his .  ;D
They look Great !   
But something has to be done with the permanent ghastly smile DD has on his face ;)

Good Job Mike and Tracy 

Soon as I get home we will organize some sort of Kruppted kontest .
The Koloring Kontest of Kruppted krayons has been weighing on what is left of my mind .  :-*
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #541 on: March 06, 2011, 01:50:16 AM »
DD had the nerve to call me in Sunny California and brag about his being the first out the door !
At least my water is not freezing up in my camper as is his .  ;D
They look Great !   
But something has to be done with the permanent ghastly smile DD has on his face ;)

:P :P :P :P :P  Jealous!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #542 on: March 06, 2011, 02:24:45 AM »
who isnt ??  cry cry cry   :'( :'( :'(
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #543 on: March 06, 2011, 04:32:03 AM »
   Just one question for you, Tim.  Have you ever considered the fact that a Krupp Calendar would have 12 monthly pictures that all looked identical?  Not a criticism, just wondering, that's all.  At least with a cow calendar you get some variety with the Guernseys, the Jerseys, the Herefords, the Holsteins, the Angus, etc.

Tracy and Mike
there would probably be plenty of variety in the pictures.  There's any manner of angles and environments they could be shot in, and some may be in action while others just looking cool. 8)

Of course, some chassis options would be nice, and you could always make a custom long barrel one for yourselves just to be completely different... ;)

Ya! I vill include zum German Small arms und a Pickelhauben in ze photo it should look very tutonic.......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #544 on: March 06, 2011, 05:30:27 AM »
Unfortunately, I will not be one of the proud owners of one of these magnificent creations.  I do want to see a lot of pictures that involve the imaginations of the owners.  I don't necessarily want to see one on every page of my calendar. 
If I am correct, and someone help me if I'm not, there are 24 models and 1 prototype.  I am sure those 25 people would buy a calendar.  I'm not so sure the rest of us would.
I have an idea. :o
How about a Krupp only contest.  By some "to be determined" date in the future, owners will submit action or static photos.  We as a group will vote for our best photo.  The top three winners will move on to the calendar contest.
That way we will have a variety of cannons in our calendar and the fun of a Krupp only contest.
Okay, I'm ready for any criticisms you want to throw at me.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #545 on: March 06, 2011, 06:03:12 AM »

If I am correct, and someone help me if I'm not, there are 24 models and 1 prototype.   

Zulu!

Thanks for reminding us of this fact.... This means there are two years worth of photos for Kalinders  so we can have one for
2012 and 2013 GREAT!
;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #546 on: March 06, 2011, 06:07:15 AM »
No criticism at all Zulu. The premise of your statement is good.

If you have a good picture of your Krupp then submit it to the  Calendar contest. No preferential treatment, no quotas, no unequal opportunity.   If the members like  your picture they will vote for it they will vote for it. 

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #547 on: March 06, 2011, 06:08:27 AM »
      Who started this whole Kalendar thing anyway, oh yea, the cat whisperer.  Well, Timothy, I might have to take direct action in order to stop it.  Let's see, how do you kill a snake?  Cut the head off, right?   ;D ;D  I bet your familiar with the capabilities of a 1917 155mm Gun like the one on Commerce St. just north of the RR tracks in Pulaski, Virginia.  The way I figure it, a rotation of 100 degrees CCW  and an elevation of about 15 degs. to clear the buildings ought to do it.  Charge 1/4 should get the range.  Nervous yet, Tim?    ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

TK

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #548 on: March 06, 2011, 07:52:25 AM »
TK,

It's too late the Cat's out of the bag...... there are too many of us..... Ve Vill kruppupt this zite vith kalinders.....

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #549 on: March 06, 2011, 07:58:49 AM »
Zulu   Why don't you make a wooden Krupp? That'd be an eye  opener for sure!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #550 on: March 06, 2011, 08:03:12 AM »

It could even shoot wooden firecrackers/crayons!   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #551 on: March 06, 2011, 08:13:07 AM »
      Who started this whole Kalendar thing anyway, oh yea, the cat whisperer.  Well, Timothy, I might have to take direct action in order to stop it.  Let's see, how do you kill a snake?  Cut the head off, right?   ;D ;D  I bet your familiar with the capabilities of a 1917 155mm Gun like the one on Commerce St. just north of the RR tracks in Pulaski, Virginia.  The way I figure it, a rotation of 100 degrees CCW  and an elevation of about 15 degs. to clear the buildings ought to do it.  Charge 1/4 should get the range.  Nervous yet, Tim?    ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
TK

What ME worry?  You mean this cannon?  (pix from Google)
It would take YEARS to restore it.  You've lost the element of surprise, but by the time it was restored it would be all forgotton.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #552 on: March 06, 2011, 09:46:02 AM »

Ex 49'er,
I have considered it.  I am still considering. ;D  If I made one it would be a larger scale.

Cat,
Never let anyone think it is okay to shoot a wooden barrel.  It isn't!!!!!!!!!  I don't care what you are shooting out of it.  If someone shot a firecracker and it worked, they might next try something that wouldn't work.
DO NOT SHOOT A WOODEN CANNON!  EVER!!
Allright, now I got that off my chest.  It would still be cool to make one out of wood. 8)
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #553 on: March 07, 2011, 01:14:43 AM »
This has been the most amazing discussion topic. It started July 8 last year when Mike or Tracy introduced the notion of making a Krupp replica. And now look at it 8 months, 19 pages and over 12,000 reads! Is this a new record for the BP Cannon forum in terms of longevity and participation in a single topic?

Now that the Krupps are going out and we have the first 2 recipients I hope we keep getting a countdown from the next recipient. Like who is #3? This is great!

Offline Double D

« Reply #554 on: March 07, 2011, 02:00:02 AM »
you can go to the list off topics in this forum and click on the column title and the topic list will sorted by the column title  This topic is the 4th most viewed and the 3rd most replied to topic in the non sticky topics,

Now if you you go to the Master list of GBO  Forums at http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php  and scroll all the way to the bottom to the  GBO info center you will find the statistics for the entire  GBO operation. There is a pie chart icon next to forum stats.  Click on the icon an see where the Cannon forum post  ransk on the entire  GBO board  http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=stats

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #555 on: March 07, 2011, 03:11:41 AM »
Thanks DD - I'm sensing that wide grin has still not left your face from the Krupp!

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #556 on: March 07, 2011, 08:31:28 AM »
Quote from DD a couple days ago.

"Tracy,
I was prepared to say some really nice things about you guys after today...then you post flame material...The Dogs are American Rat Terriers and of no relationship what so ever in any way shape or form other than being a canine to those neurotic little ankle nipping  Jack Russel's.  I'll overlook your lack of good taste this time because you let me walk out the door with the first  Krupp gun-even ahead of Gary!!! Under such conditions the insult can be overlooked.  However next time you see the dogs don't be surprised if one of them bites you and they don't nip.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D "

First of all, American Rat Terriers are great and DD's  are exceptionally good natured and smart.  It seems like no one has much good to say about the giants though.  The following is a true story and occurred as it is told.  Our Mastiffs, Prometheus and Rose defended our family once at a local park and didn't even have to draw blood to send the other dogs howling off to the next county.

Also, some Mastiffs are smart and very graceful as well.  Rose proved her creativity and planning one day when she did the following:

Terrier tricks are cool, but the execution is not nearly so graceful as our English Mastiff's method for creating a recess in the living room wall for a unit of 'built-in' nick-nack shelves.  Rose carefully eyeballed a target area on the wall four feet above the floor, then slowly backed up to the end of the long central hallway.  With shoulder and leg muscles rippling, she propelled herself forward and was doing 30 mph at the living room's edge when she jumped up vigorously and did a graceful pirouette, switching ends for a resounding BUTT-SMACK of the sheetrock!!  A very regular, rectangular recess resulted.

Tracy

Offline Double D

« Reply #557 on: March 07, 2011, 12:52:50 PM »
After 5 days cross country in a travel trailer at 60  MPH and watching gas prices climb to $3.50 a gallon...smiles are in short supply right now.  No 24 is safely under wraps in the the closet with my clean socks.  No. 24 may perhaps probably will get tested for ring in the Spring the 20th.

Full grown adult size Rat Terrors are called Timber wolves.  I have seen a rottweiler and Mastiff guard dogs after visit by some Wolves in Idaho.  Well the owner said they were a mastiff and rottweiler. We could tel that they were some sort of animal. 

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #558 on: March 07, 2011, 01:07:09 PM »
Doug I've shot Oprah about 8-10 times  8), the darn firecracker whizzes out real quick . Last night I was bouncing them off my fence . They would lite and go out like a tracer thump the fence which put out the fuse !

I may have to use less than the full cylinder of powder ,or maybe go to 2F ,I'm using Remington caps they work well and usually fall off the nipple when the sliding piece is withdrawn and split open nicely .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #559 on: March 07, 2011, 02:19:03 PM »
Gary -

Pics?

I finally found some #10's - in Roanoke.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #560 on: March 07, 2011, 03:27:31 PM »
No ,no pics ,but I just showed my wife how to load and shoot it ....she was thrilled beyond belief  :o

I shot it out the front door for more range . That firecracker cleared the street on the fly and honest 25 yds right towards my niegbors front door it landed and bouced sizzling all along ,,...   Bam  ;D! OH Happy Happy JOY JOY  ;D

I guess I'll have to shoot it down the street for even more range :-\ ..........Life is Hard .

I have the smaller bore and am using the newer style red firecrackers with waterproof fuse .
They are sold in a box loose or bulk packed .

Gary

eta the rem. caps I'm using have no size designation that I can find ...? I think they are #11's as thats what I usually try to buy .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #561 on: March 07, 2011, 04:06:02 PM »
That's good news; I have the same red firecrackers with the green fuse (as well as a bunch of other Black Cats etc. etc.)

Just waiting for the new cannon to arrive to become a well-used cannon.  :D ;) ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #562 on: March 07, 2011, 07:58:29 PM »
Oh Woe is me , 1500 miles from home , no kannon to play with , no BP , no crackers .....

But The wife and dog are happy  :)

Land Yacht from E-Bay is running fine ....

Heading northernly tomarrow again , may dock in Merced for a couple days .
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Double D

« Reply #563 on: March 09, 2011, 03:26:27 PM »

No 24 stopped in to chat with Brokenpole.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #564 on: March 09, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »
     We are so glad you all had a chance to meet.  Mike and I try to meet at least a couple new members on each research trip we take.  We would like to take this opportunity to once again thank Brokenpole and his wife for their help with this identification of the guns of the Cairo.  As I recall it was Sharon's photos that really helped us a lot.

Brokenpole and Double D have proved that Krupp guns compliment any decor.  The Krupp Howitzer looks quite at home in that stately kitchen with a brother by another mother in the background.  I'm assuming that is a Krup coffeemaker.

Mini update:  Doing the final packaging drop and bounce and roll across the backyard tests tomorrow.  Two plywood pieces top and bottom, foam side protection, 6 sets of 1/8", twisted, plastic coated, steel wire binding the assy to the bottom plywood plate and special Masonite and felt end protection.  It has taken a lot longer than we figured to do the final adjustment of the striker assy.  They all went together just fine, even with such close tolerance parts, but the final timing or regulation of the sear and striker engagement took some time and thought to optimize performance.  The hole in the brass cocking piece is drilled for the 'T' handle only after all internal parts are regulated and firmly bound together with RED (Permanent) Loctite.  This keeps the 'T' handle horizontal when the piece is in the SAFE, Not Cocked, position.

Shipping will start only after we are satisfied that the packaging will provide excellent protection of the "Farm Impliments" shipped from SAC Corp............no sense in tempting anyone!

Tracy and Mike

Offline Double D

« Reply #565 on: March 09, 2011, 05:04:12 PM »
You guys get high grade industrial strength packing with your  Krupp, we got chocolate cake with ours....We Win!!!

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #566 on: March 09, 2011, 07:56:24 PM »
      Mini update:  Doing the final packaging drop and bounce and roll across the backyard tests tomorrow.  Two plywood pieces top and bottom, foam side protection, 6 sets of 1/8", twisted, plastic coated, steel wire binding the assy to the bottom plywood plate and special Masonite and felt end protection. Shipping will start only after we are satisfied that the packaging will provide excellent protection of the "Farm Impliments" shipped from SAC Corp............no sense in tempting anyone!
Tracy and Mike

I kinda figured that you guys had corraled all of Santy Clauses helpers for this part of the job. Looking forward to a tractor ;D arriving from SAC Corp. Hope the postal gorillas take it easy on the packages.

Thankyou for the update.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #567 on: March 09, 2011, 09:52:02 PM »
"Farm Implements"

That ought to totally confuse the mail room personnel.  At least their New Jersey socialist anti-gun sense shouldn't be awakened.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #568 on: March 10, 2011, 12:13:19 AM »
"Farm Implements"

;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #569 on: March 10, 2011, 12:24:19 AM »
You guys get high grade industrial strength packing with your  Krupp, we got chocolate cake with ours....We Win!!!

BUT, it may be, generations from now, that the REALLY valuable example of the the Famed Krupp Krayon Kannon "is this one here, with the ORIGINAL packing crate."  "We are still researching the odd use of the term 'Farm Implements' to deterime what agricultural use this this had."

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired