Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun  (Read 87288 times)

Offline nematode

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun
« Reply #570 on: March 10, 2011, 02:38:02 AM »
I believe the correct stencil should read Ackergeräte  or  Bauernhof implementiert

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #571 on: March 10, 2011, 03:07:09 AM »
"We are still researching the odd use of the term 'Farm Implements' to deterime what agricultural use this this had."

Just imagine future history books claiming people in 2011 sowed their field by firing seeds out of a miniature cannon.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #572 on: March 10, 2011, 08:02:52 AM »
When shipping my "Iron Gophers " I list then as steel parts. Never a problem with the USPO or UPS with that discription.
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #573 on: March 10, 2011, 08:30:42 AM »

Mini update:  Doing the final packaging drop and bounce and roll across the backyard tests tomorrow. 

Shipping will start only after we are satisfied that the packaging will provide excellent protection of the "Farm Impliments" shipped from SAC Corp............no sense in tempting anyone!

Tracy and Mike

Tracy & Mike,

For some reason there was something nagging me about your early giving Gary his Krupp......... Then I remembered
You were supposed to hang on to it for testing the shipping containers by dropping of a cliff - ala "Guns of Navarone"...
O well too late now.... I am sure your packaging would have protected it all the way to the cliff base.....  ::)

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #574 on: March 10, 2011, 11:32:02 AM »
Allen you must be mad crazy, out of your mind with sickness .

Are you feeling OK ,any suggestion that #19 S/B 'drop tested ' is absurd .

Tracy and Mike have the origanal to beat up ,#19 is for testing reliability and function testing .

Oprah will send a cracker almost 35 yds with 3.8gr. 3F ,hard to believe but true . I think it must have something to do with the cap ignition rather than fuse because none of my other cracker guns come close to that range . THIS IS WITH A .312 Dia. bore , your milage may vary

It will be necessary to clean them about every 12-15 shots . This is because fouling and lose powder collect in the tracks of the rotating bolt piece ,when this happens the bolt does completely rotate closed . Then the firing pin will hit the bolt itself and not the cap . It makes a very steelie noise when snapped ,not a dull thump sound when a cap fails to go .

Two little allen keys loosen then the bolt and cocking piece will come apart . These Krupp's are very finely made . Drop test indeed !   ;D

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #575 on: March 11, 2011, 04:01:09 PM »
The  National Krupp tour continues and today  No. 24 stopped in and visited Knoxville's Little Seacoast. 

Nice to meet you today  Pete and thanks for the great  barbecued ribs! Do appreciate it.  They were great.  I know you went shooting today so looking forward to a shooting report.   

Offline Double D

« Reply #576 on: March 11, 2011, 04:03:25 PM »
This evening No 24 met forum  Moderator Cat Whisperer.

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #577 on: March 12, 2011, 01:33:14 AM »
One thing is certain - don't ever get in a feud with DD - the man knows how to hurt ya! Talk about rubbing it in - great stuff DD. Just when I thought I'd seen the worst you could dish out - I'm impressed. With your permission I am going to recommend you as a trainer for US Special Forces hand to hand combat in a new course titled "Maximum Pain Infliction" - 2 thumbs up!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #578 on: March 12, 2011, 01:40:35 AM »
I'm declairing the DAY when we have them all in posession as "National Krupp Day". 
Hear ye, Hear ye, Hear ye!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #579 on: March 12, 2011, 01:45:22 AM »
Amen brother - the anticipation is a credit to the superb craftsmanship of Seacoastartillery - man they hit it out of the park this time, didn't they!

Offline Double D

« Reply #580 on: March 12, 2011, 01:52:19 AM »
One thing is certain - don't ever get in a feud with DD - the man knows how to hurt ya! Talk about rubbing it in - great stuff DD. Just when I thought I'd seen the worst you could dish out - I'm impressed. With your permission I am going to recommend you as a trainer for US Special Forces hand to hand combat in a new course titled "Maximum Pain Infliction" - 2 thumbs up!!

You miss the point, this is the National promotional tour...next step is the cheap $19,95 chinese copies all with the same serial number and if you buy in the next 30 minutes, we will include a free shamwow...operators are standing by.

Actually what I am doing is starting a tradition.  From now on when ever I travel and meet folks from this board No. 24 will be with me and those folks will get to meet No. 24 and have their picture posted in this thread.  I hope to carry it on for years and years.

Mike and Tracy did hit it out of the park!!!!

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #581 on: March 12, 2011, 02:11:56 AM »
Sounds good DD - if you have a marker for Delaware in your travels let me know!

Offline Double D

« Reply #582 on: March 12, 2011, 02:18:21 AM »
We will be near by  in  Maryland, but  Delaware is not on the schedule right now....being retired schedules are often as as as morning coffee. The only rock solid we will be at the  Grandkids this afternoon.

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #583 on: March 12, 2011, 02:51:33 AM »
Douglas,

From the wonderful food you are being fed I think you should rename this little tour "DD Eats His Way Across America One Board Member at a Time".

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #584 on: March 12, 2011, 04:15:27 AM »
or in the tradition of what brokenpole suggested you could call it "DD hitch hikes off the good work of others for fame, fortune and free food" Ha ha!

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #585 on: March 13, 2011, 12:21:52 PM »
      Double D. we sure do envy you, getting to meet all these fine GBO members as you cross the country.  But we are becoming a bit apprehensive about the possibility of receiving a hefty bill from you for all this Krupp promotion.  Whether you bill us or not, we sure do appreciate your efforts.  It will make selling all those hundreds of $29.95 Chinese-made copies so much easier!   ;D  Thanks to everyone for your kind comments.  To keep everyone happy and in good humor we are redoubling our efforts to get the last few howitzers regulated and spent the whole day Saturday out at or prairie range shooting small arms and Gary's cannon and then tried to duplicate his house to house shot (across a suburban street-long range). 

Neither Mike nor believed that he could get 90 feet our of his new Krupp.  We were wrong, he did just that with the miniscule charge of only 3.8 grains of powder.  That's 1,842 shots per can of powder!  To keep his neighbor friendly, Gary rotated the gun 90 degrees and after waiting for a couple cars to go by, he proved to us that 30 yards was not just possible, but expected!  The first cracker flew out to that range so quickly that we didn't see it go, just saw the flash and puff of smoke way down the street.  He did other shots with similar results.

About cleaning, a helpful hint from Gary who has tons of experience firing Krupp and other firecracker cannons, is to thoroughly clean and then dry after 15  to 20 shots.  With the Krupp, you can keep those close tolerance parts like the sliding and rotating breech block moving after 6 shots by doing a partial cleaning with tap water on a Q-tip swab.  Gary also found that if you ignore a thorough cleaning after 15 or 20 shots that BP residue can pile up at the ends of those milled grooves in the breech block, limiting rotation of the breech block to less than the 90 degrees required.  He found that a rotation of 75 to 80 degrees resulted in a misalignment of the capped nipple and the striker tip, causing the striker to impact the breech block at the edge of the nipple recess (threaded hole).  This results in a failure to fire, because the cap is not struck and also has the potential to slightly damage the breech block where it is impacted.  Take Note:   This Will Not Happen if you clean your cannon regularly.  :) :)

We received some valuable packaging advice from Dominick Carpenter, who has shipped hundreds of cannon, similar in size and weight to our Krupp, all over the United States.  We really appreciate his willingness to share proven methods with us and wish him much success with his new line of finely made and good looking 'Cheroot Cane Guns'. 

In our spare time we are preparing a very simple diarama of the Northern coast of Germany in 1870, seen through the eyes of a French spy ship as intelligence officers in the French Navy studied the coast for possible bombardment and amphibious assault.

Tracy and Mike

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #586 on: March 13, 2011, 12:48:29 PM »
Hmmm .    Firecracker-scale diarama.  How wide is the Channel in firecracker scale? 
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #587 on: March 13, 2011, 01:37:20 PM »
No. 24  meets DoubleDJr.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #588 on: March 13, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
Golly gee -  they BOTH look familiar!!
 ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #589 on: March 13, 2011, 05:10:59 PM »
These photos are great!  They all need to be compiled in a seperate thread.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #590 on: March 13, 2011, 05:15:07 PM »
These photos are great!  They all need to be compiled in a seperate thread.
Zulu

I figure that there will be at least 12 of them.   ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #591 on: March 13, 2011, 05:40:14 PM »
Douglas this show and tell is OK ,but have you shot it yet ? Anyone of these folks must have some caps ,powder,and a cracker .

'Please Sir may I have a cap'  ;D

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #592 on: March 14, 2011, 05:42:21 AM »
DoubleDJr. is a chip off of the old cannon/mortar!     ;)
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

« Reply #593 on: March 14, 2011, 11:17:59 AM »
No.  24 is mint unfired other than factor proofing.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #594 on: March 14, 2011, 11:41:33 AM »
No.  24 is mint unfired other than factor proofing.

Yes mint unfired..... BUT the finish will be worn off it from all the members fondeling it........  ;D
by the time it gets home it will look like it's been chromed from all the hands on it........ ::)

Just waiting for destructive box/shipping testing to be finished and my little Krupp shipped  ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #595 on: March 17, 2011, 02:10:55 AM »
     The first 3 Krupp Howitzers will be shipped today to Tim Hobbs, Allen Bond and Ed Fitler.  We are asking that these 3 gentlemen send us a note via email or call us, whichever is more convenient as to the condition of their cannon as received.  If the cannons are received without damage, we will begin to ship the remaining Krupps using the same packaging system.

Email:   seacoastartillery@gmail.com                 Phone:   303-469-0611

A brief Safety and History Note will accompany each cannon shipped.  This document and a How to Load and Fire the Krupp Firecracker Cannon will be posted on this thread later on today accompanied by Krupp photos.  Some of you may want to copy this and keep a hardcopy with your cannon.

Caution:  To those Krupp gun recipients.  To avoid scratching your new cannon, open the top of the box carefully and place the top plate and the document pouch aside.  Lift out the bottom plate and cannon assy.  Carefully separate the cannon from the bottom plate and, From the BOTTOM, Flat Side, Cut the Krupp free of the layers of Kraft Paper and tape. We have done this 3 times now with our Krupp and experimental packaging and found that a sharp box knife or Exacto Knife works best.   A little WD 40 on a rag can be used to get tape residue off the tube or cheeks of your Krupp.

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #596 on: March 17, 2011, 03:19:07 AM »
 ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #597 on: March 17, 2011, 04:00:30 AM »
Are they there yet?
Are they there yet?
Are they there yet?

;)
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #598 on: March 17, 2011, 05:12:11 AM »
Nope not yet.... thankfully they are being sent USPS and not these guys....

And OH BOY!!! MINE'S ON THE WAY!!! MINE'S ON THE WAY!!!   ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #599 on: March 17, 2011, 05:27:12 AM »
WOOHOO, I'm a guinea pig! :D Does this mean I'm part of the "Secret Krupp Cannon Experiment" ?  ;)  I do believe that the seacoastartillery packaging will be just fine as I know the boys put a lot of thought into it. I'm sure it will be much better then some of the tubes/cannons I have received by other people that were loosely packed with newspaper and a muzzle or cascabel was sticking out of the box.  :'(  Anyway, I look forward to receiving the new Krupp and I will follow up with the condition.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.