Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun  (Read 87389 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun
« Reply #840 on: October 02, 2011, 12:49:08 PM »

Member Id: b***7( Feedback score is 500 to 999)
   US $627.77
Oct-02-11 14:21:33 PDT

Well it was not our main bidder and I don't know if anyone here bid against him who ever one it paid more than the asking price and I am sure it will help his situation.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #841 on: October 02, 2011, 12:53:41 PM »
Perhaps Soot can make a new member out of the winner, if they aren't GBO members already!  ;)

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #842 on: October 02, 2011, 05:06:41 PM »
I hope that whomever the winner was will be happy with their purchase. The high bid was $100+ over my high bid. The final price was too rich for my blood. Can't win 'em all!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #843 on: October 02, 2011, 10:43:06 PM »
Looks like there is another one for auction.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #844 on: October 03, 2011, 04:21:10 AM »
duplicate post

Offline nematode

• Avid Poster
« Reply #845 on: October 03, 2011, 04:37:01 AM »
That was an amazing listing and no surprise with the quality of SCA's Krupp. I did not know so much discussion was going on here about it but I'm glad. I have listed my Krupp #13 which I hate to sell but have not fired it a single time. It has been a beautiful knick-knack but deserves to be in the hands of someone like you guys here, who know what to do with it. Hoping my listing gets as much interest as Soot's did. He is a true gentleman and helped me make corrections in my listing so that I did not violate ebay policy - thanks very much Soot! #13 is on the block with my apology to SCA because I did not order my Krupp for resale. I hope to get a good price because ebay, paypal and shipping will gobble up a good part of final price.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #846 on: October 03, 2011, 06:24:23 AM »
Ye gods, with these prices I'm gonna have to move mine to a higher shelf away from curious hands. This gun is well worth the prices realized, just glad I got mine wholesale!  Thanks Mike and Tracy
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #847 on: October 04, 2011, 12:43:48 AM »

Future pricing will have a lot more to do with the level of income we are trying to attain.  Will we try to make an hourly wage equal to a ditch digger in Guatemala like last time or will we shoot for a wage closer to what an entry level ‘Lot Associate’  at Home Depot makes in Colorado, about $9.00 per hr.?

Time will tell.

Tracy and Mike

M&T,

I think your Krupp would have been a bargain at twice the price you sold it for. With all the precision breech and elevation parts, I know those guns took a lot of time and skill to design and make. I expect we'll be seeing them come up for sale at ever higher prices for decades to come.

Here's hoping that the next one will net you more than minimum wage. A little Parrott (hint, hint) would be nice. They still sell those rifled liners for not too much.  ;)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #848 on: October 05, 2011, 06:31:32 PM »
     It is fascinating to see what these auctions will yield.  So what if we made day laborer wages!  The fun quotient was very, very high indeed and to us, THAT is what was important.  The $5000 take home was necessary, but the way we earned it was up to us.  It's probably a good idea for us and maybe some of you to look at the creative process used to achieve a cannon design capable of being manufactured.  The following is that story.

During the initial 20 day discussion of what type of cannon to build, which we called the ‘Brainstorming Session', Mike and I talked to each other and 6 or 7 GBO Cannon and Mortar members about the size of cannon to build, type, model, muzzle loader or breech loader and blank, firecracker or ball shooter.

GBO member Wolff suggested we look into the elements of what is termed, “Steam Punk”.   Interesting is the fact that the story of Captain Nemo’s exploits in his submarine, the Nautilus, begins in 1866, the same year that Krupp first displayed his giant 14” Seacoast Howitzer.  Brad posted the following image of the Nautilus created by German  Computer Graphic  Artist, Malerwerkst, an extremely talented fellow. This photo was brought forward from this thread to save everyone time.

I responded to his post with this:   " Brad,   I think I am at least a full generation ahead of your 'Steam Punk' terminolgy, but I was curious, so I Googled it.  Hey, that's the stuff I like!  Tom Swift novels, old steam engine technology with gleaming stainless steel, futuristic, sheet metal.  Art Deco stuff.  'Rocket Man' movies.

Thanks Brad, now I have a name for the way I see the world.  When completed, the cannon should reflect some element of this.  We decided which  of the cannon’s nuts and bolts and other external hardware features to create with this in mind.”

Further thoughts on design came later, after the first set of drawings had been completed. Normally during this period the design is simplified for manufacturability.  In this period from the end of July to mid September we decided on breechblock indexing for capping, loading and firing and also finalized the striker assy.  Not until the end of November did we know exactly how long the entire breech would be.  Loading experiments revealed a serious fault in the length of the loading port.  It was lengthened in the fourth prototype eventually purchased by member, Gulfcoastblackpowder.
I sure do love this part of the cannon making business and I am probably most oblivious to my surroundings when I am right here:

We sure had lots of help designing this gun and we hate to try to publish a full list and risk missing someone. So we thank everyone very much and extend a special thank you to Victor and RocklockI for giving us lots and lots of good ideas, some of which were produced and placed into the Krupp Gun assys. Finally, we don’t begrudge anyone’s success in these auctions.  It’s your property; you can do what you want with it.  After all, it is the actual designing and the creation of these guns that keeps us interested, not the pile of finished pieces or the money derived from the sale.  We will be making more of them, although of a different model, because, for  10 years now,  we have been having more fun than working people are supposed to have.

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #849 on: October 08, 2011, 10:05:42 AM »
The new owner of #16 is pleased with his Krupp and is looking for more cannons.
I invited him to join the forum here, so I guess we'll see.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #850 on: October 09, 2011, 02:56:29 PM »
Only 20 minutes to go on Nematoad's Ebay auction of his Krupp Howitzer.

T&M

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #851 on: October 09, 2011, 03:06:38 PM »
I'm sure the snipers will let themselves be known in the last 1/2 minute and the price on this Krupp will go up.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #852 on: October 09, 2011, 03:26:56 PM »
I was outbid in the last 6 seconds by the second place bidder on Soot's #16. Can't win 'em all.

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #853 on: October 09, 2011, 03:38:59 PM »
$669.99 was the final price.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #854 on: October 09, 2011, 04:01:05 PM »
Yup, thanks again T&M.

Time to raise AGAIN my insurance on mine.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #855 on: October 09, 2011, 04:50:58 PM »

Yup, thanks again T&M.

Tim,   We thought you were kidding the first time you wrote this, but after seeing the seriousness of the bidding, we understand now the prudence of your statement.  $669.99 ??? What the..........
I mean, come on, there certainly are prettier cannons out there and fancier and shinier.  Maybe it has something to do with the probable future worth of these pieces.  Why else would this occur?  Congrats Skip.  Sorry Ex 49'er.  We were rooting for you!

Tracy and Mike

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #856 on: October 09, 2011, 05:04:51 PM »
M&T for President & Vice President!!!! You guys seem to have done more to stimulate the economy then others in high office.  :) However, you guys will need to figure out the P & VP positions yourself.  ;D Keep up the great work and we look forward to your future cannon products...
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #857 on: October 09, 2011, 05:13:05 PM »
Geez, maybe I better go get mine out of the back of the pick-up...all that noise it makes  rolling around back there annoys me anyway..  ;D

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #858 on: October 09, 2011, 05:31:54 PM »
Probably should take it off of the shelf and to the bank and a safety deposit box. These are the next gold.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #859 on: October 09, 2011, 10:17:55 PM »

Yup, thanks again T&M.

Tim,   We thought you were kidding the first time you wrote this, but after seeing the seriousness of the bidding, we understand now the prudence of your statement.  $669.99 ??? What the..........
I mean, come on, there certainly are prettier cannons out there and fancier and shinier.  Maybe it has something to do with the probable future worth of these pieces.  Why else would this occur?  Congrats Skip.  Sorry Ex 49'er.  We were rooting for you!

Tracy and Mike

Really? ???  you think it is future worth ? It is only $100 more than what you should have sold them for in the first place !

Beleive me when I say there will never and I mean .....proly almost never going to be a second issue of these things.

In the 'future' they will be sought after by collectors .
JMHO Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #860 on: October 10, 2011, 10:38:22 AM »
I wonder what a new in the box , never open'd is worth ?
Poor ole "8 Ball" is till in the dark ages  . Likely to stay that way till # 9 , still unfired  is willing to submit to a black powder bath .  ::)
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #861 on: October 10, 2011, 11:41:59 AM »
I wonder what a new in the box , never open'd is worth ?
Poor ole "8 Ball" is till in the dark ages  . Likely to stay that way till # 9 , still unfired  is willing to submit to a black powder bath .  ::)
Some day you will awake to find a square hole cut through the side of that box....... and it's muzzle sticking through...... with evidence of black powder being fired from it...... "HOW!" you will ask....... The answer my friend is black powder gnomes..... they are sneaky little buggers..... hate to see cannon left forelorn and unloved..... ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline McTodd

« Reply #862 on: October 22, 2011, 05:44:43 PM »
Whilst surfing the web I came across this thread about your model of the Krupp Great Gun, a weapon that has always fascinated me. The models you have produced are fantastic, and I'm even more amazed that you've mass-produced them, so amazed I have had to join the forum simply to express my admiration! Also, I wanted to attach a couple of images of the gun that I have not seen on this thread, though I have not looked at every single one of the 29 pages so apologies if someone has already brought them to your attention. They are contemporary drawings and give very useful profile views, though the proportions appear to differ slightly. I have no idea if they are of any use, given the models are already made, but they may at least be of interest.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #863 on: October 22, 2011, 07:18:49 PM »
     Thanks for the kind comments, McTodd.  Thank you very much for posting those new photos of the Krupp Howitzer.  Neither Mike nor I have ever seen those before.  We are happy to welcome you to the board.  We have learned so much here, it is truly is the most complete board of it's type in the world that we are aware of.  You are starting off in excellent fashion by sharing documents that advance the knowledge base of this topic.

Please let us know if you have any more 'favorites'!

Tracy and Mike

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #864 on: October 23, 2011, 07:11:49 AM »
 8)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #865 on: October 23, 2011, 11:52:56 AM »
McTodd -

WELCOME to the board?  What do YOU like to shoot?  Any pix?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline McTodd

« Reply #866 on: October 24, 2011, 05:39:18 AM »
I do have to say that I would not describe Seacoast's limited run of finely crafted miniature Krupp cannon to be "mass produced"...
Apologies for any offence caused! You are, of course, right that it is a limited edition run, but any number over one is astonishing to me as I had never realised how extensive this activity (of building and firing miniature cannons) is!

To answer a couple of other questions, sadly I do not shoot - I live in the UK where there are massive restrictions on any activities in that area. Also, I live in a flat in a city (London) so that reduces even further any chance of getting involved! My interests lie more in the history of various weapons, which is what led me here, and you can get an idea of those interests from a few articles I wrote for a Great War website, Landships, on the subjects of the Paris Gun, Japanese 28cm howitzers, the Flying Elephant tank project, the Macfie landship, and I also contributed to a piece about the Dicke Berta 42cm howitzer.

Actually, I would have thought the Japanese 28cm howitzer would make an ideal subject for another working miniature cannon! It is a simple design with no complex barrel cradle and fiddly recoil mechanism, it's simply a stubby bottle-shaped breechloading barrel on a two-sided mounting which moves on an inclined slide (the recoil cylinder is built into the base of the slide), all fixed to a turntable. Here's my article, if anyone wants to build it I could probably get hold of scale drawings in a week or so:
Japanese 28cm Howitzer

Attached is a photo of one in Japan, to give an idea of what it looks like, plus a longitudinal cross-section of the barrel.

Offline Div Arty

• Avid Poster
« Reply #867 on: October 24, 2011, 01:18:10 PM »
Greetings.  Had the computer to the doctor and I think it is all fixed.  It was the body and fender man that took so long after its trip out the window. 
Here are the pix of the Krupp Barbette that I promised so long ago. 
https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/images/DivArty1/1001842.jpg

Offline McTodd

« Reply #868 on: October 24, 2011, 01:49:59 PM »
Good grief, that is AWESOME!  ;D

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #869 on: October 24, 2011, 01:57:26 PM »