Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun  (Read 87321 times)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Seacoast Artillery to Re-Create Krupp Seacoast Gun
« Reply #900 on: July 09, 2012, 04:51:13 AM »
    Thanks for your order, John!!  We were looking for an excuse for a first trip to Europe.  I must admit that I did a "Big Gulp" when I first saw the Copenhagen Krupp, but I didn't feel guilty all, because I haven't lived in New York for 40 years, so I thought, "Screw Mayor Bloomberg and his Orwellian ban on soft drinks over 16 oz!".  Ha!  Building one of those would be quite a challenge as would convincing the Danish Museum officials to let us disassemble and measure all the gun's component parts.  Speaking of challenges, John, are you up to the challenge of being Seacoast Artillery's first "Patron"?  Mere customer status won't cut it on this project.  We are hoping that the contents of your vault are diametrically opposed to that which Geraldo found when he opened Al Capone's Vault on live TV!

I did get pretty excited when I had visions of a Brink's Armored Service truck rolling our way!  I said to Mike, "Just think about the possibilities!"  An end to beans and cornbread for every meal.  On our research trips we won't have to travel by "Third boxcar, midnight train; Destination Bangor Maine in old worn out suits and shoes."  We will be smokin' Havanas, not "old stogies we have found; short but not too big around."  We can shuck the Roger Miller lyric life for good.  Finally...................sweet success!!

Plated gears?  No problem!

Tracy and Mike

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Spuddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #901 on: July 09, 2012, 10:29:28 PM »
Destination Bangor Maine.  :)

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #902 on: July 10, 2012, 02:07:57 AM »
Just found out from that friend that the model in Copenhagen is about 18 inches long.  All-expenses trip to Copenhagen?  Bribes for museum officials?   No sweat, jes' put it all on my bill!

This model looks like a dead-ringer for the 14" Krupp seacoast gun pictured at the top of this thread, or is it?  That'd be about right, wouldn't it, an 18" long model in 1/10 scale?

Offline steelcharge

• Avid Poster
« Reply #903 on: July 10, 2012, 03:00:54 AM »
There's this thing about 3-hours drive from where I live:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/70591690@N00/388155991

I guess it uses "slightly" larger firecrackers than seacoastartillery's models?
IIRC the bore was big enough to fit my head in it...

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #904 on: July 10, 2012, 02:49:19 PM »

Destination Bangor Maine.  :)   

Actually the plan is to blow by Bangor and go on to Halifax, Nova Scotia via Presque Isle, Maine to see a few of those beautiful Armstrong RMLs at the Citadel in Halifax.  Tim, do you know anybody in Presque Isle who might be able to hold on to our shop copy of the 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Seacoast and Navy Rifle for a few days while we go across the border?? 

Cannonmn,    I agree with you on 1/10 scale.  Our CW 1/6 scale guns are about 23-24" long and the originals are much shorter that the Kraut gun was, 1/8 is probably too big a scale.   If 18 is correct, 1/10 is more like it.  It really looks a lot like that long barreled Krupp Gun that won some award at the Paris Exhibition of 1867, yes, a 14" bore long tom.

Steelcharge,   I have seen that photo before and understand that's beautiful country around that area.  Do you have lots of birch trees in the forests where you live?  Larger firecrackers than ours to be sure!  A least an 11" bore.  One of the respondents to that photo's postings mentioned that it was maybe from the Crimean War.  No chance of that.  The initial model was the 1866 which is about 12 years too late for that war, (1853 to 1856).

Tracy

Offline steelcharge

• Avid Poster
« Reply #905 on: July 10, 2012, 10:09:22 PM »
    Steelcharge,   I have seen that photo before and understand that's beautiful country around that area.  Do you have lots of birch trees in the forests where you live?  Larger firecrackers than ours to be sure!  A least an 11" bore.  One of the respondents to that photo's postings mentioned that it was maybe from the Crimean War.  No chance of that.  The initial model was the 1866 which is about 12 years too late for that war, (1853 to 1856).

Tracy

Plenty of birch trees here and very beautiful country especially during summer!

I guess people might think the guns are from Crimean War as during that war (in 1855 exactly) the Suomenlinna fortress was heavily bombarded and probably saw most action during those times.
I visited that fort last summer but completely missed one museum there and found my pictures very lacking, so I guess it's a new trip this summer again.

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #906 on: July 10, 2012, 11:23:42 PM »
   "Actually the plan is to blow by Bangor and go on to Halifax, Nova Scotia via Presque Isle, Maine to see a few of those beautiful Armstrong RMLs at the Citadel in Halifax.  Tim, do you know anybody in Presque Isle who might be able to hold on to our shop copy of the 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Seacoast and Navy Rifle for a few days while we go across the border?? "

I know the perfect place!  Just let me know when.  I would love to have you stop by for a visit as well.
Tim

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #907 on: July 11, 2012, 01:49:58 AM »
      A visit, of course, was the purpose of mentioning our route.  Our lack of subtlety sometimes surprises even me.  We are terribly busy this morning as we are getting almost 1,000 pieces of custom made hardware blued for the four Brooke seacoast guns, so I will email you later today.  With several million square miles of Maine woods nearby, I bet you could find a place where we could shoot that company gun we will be hauling!

Tracy

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #908 on: July 11, 2012, 03:42:00 AM »
Shooting space is not a problem.

Offline IvarForkbeard

• Avid Poster
  • Former US Navy BB stacker
« Reply #909 on: July 11, 2012, 06:28:35 PM »
Going to pop into Fort Knox? No not that one, the one in Penobscot Me....
Former US Navy, living in West Michigan

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #910 on: July 11, 2012, 09:27:05 PM »
     We will be going to Fort Knox for our second visit.  It was over 100 degrees when we visited in 2007 and we missed a few features of the fort along the south side.  Also, four 24 Pdr. Flank Howitzers M1844 have been installed since we were there and we want to study their rebuilt carriages which had been in storage since the 1870s.  We will be building one of these guns in half scale within the next two years and we want to see how our ordnance drawings compare to the real thing.

Tracy

The fort from the town of Bucksport across the Penobscott River.  The burgundy colored patch is called the "Rockmount" which is a revetment wall of immense proportions which keeps the hill which supports the fort in place. 

Here is Mike heading toward the sally port and central bastion with his flashlight.  For quite a while I wondered why the main entrance to the fort was in the scarp or front wall of the fort.  Then I figured it out.  This was a really fast and effective way which Chief Engineer Totten designed to get the infantrymen in the fort to stream out and flop down on the grass between the scarp and the top of the Rockmount where they could engage any hostile Marine or naval landing party forces attempting a frontal assault.

Up on the Terraplein with the scarp and Rodman gun mounts where the guns which were never mounted, but would have been mounted "en barbette" (over the wall), looking south towards the central bastion and the new Penobscott River bridge.  The fort guides called this area the "Hot Box" in the summertime.  That day the glare of the sun off those big blocks of granite was terrific and the temp. there was over 100 deg.

On both flanks and the gorge there were ditches and counterscarps, (walls opposite the scarp).  Behind these counterscarps were galleries from which riflemen could cover any area of the ditch.  We found that the gallery on the north flank was wet with dripping water and cool on a blistering day due to evaporation and a slight air current which went up the galleries' length.  We spent quite a while there pretending to measure things and reviving before going outside again.

Posted previously, this is one of my favorite photos from our travels showing the vast expanse of the masonry arch, the 10" Rodman Gun in it's granite and brick casemate and my research assistant of the giggling kind.  She is actually a member of another party and is standing on another gun's chassis rail.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #911 on: July 27, 2012, 02:42:53 AM »
The first leg of the road trip had one of those crippling events that all computer users dread...no not a motherboard failure, or hard drive crash or even the dreaded virus infection...I left my power cable in the Motel room in Salt Lake.  None the less Number 24 continued his road trip.  Met up with my daughter Wednesday and her power cable fits my computer.  The motel shipped my cable on to Dad's place and I will pick it up tonight

Tuesday  Number 24 stopped in Arnold  California and had lunch with DivArty--Ron and his lovely wife Esmee. 

I spent Tuesday night with my long old friend  Mr.Maverick.  Doug is a lurker here and we have been friend for over 35 years.

Then Wednesday as I was passing through Anderson Ca.  I stopped off and met Rock6.3.  Joe works in one of the most fascinating machine shops I have ever been in...I wanted to stay and watch their work....you do not want to she chips fly in their shop!  Joe can explain.

Offline Double D

« Reply #912 on: July 27, 2012, 06:42:35 PM »
Number 24 made it to Port Orford on the southern Oregon coast and stopped in to see  Boom Lover.

I like the project gun you showed me Jim and thank for the project material

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #913 on: July 27, 2012, 08:18:44 PM »
You are more than welcome, Sir! Thanks for your visit!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Double D

« Reply #914 on: July 31, 2012, 06:08:02 PM »
A recap...

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #915 on: July 31, 2012, 06:51:40 PM »
I haven't seen a nastier rogues' gallery in a long time.   ;)
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #916 on: July 31, 2012, 11:44:35 PM »
Hmmmm.   MOST of us have whiskers.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline quickgun

• Real soon now...
« Reply #917 on: August 01, 2012, 12:12:14 AM »
Might be just a little bit late but was wondering if there are any of the Krupp Seacoast Guns left over that you would sell?
Would love to have one.
Thanks much,
Carl
I don't fail... I succeed in finding what doesn't work!!!

Offline Double D

« Reply #918 on: August 01, 2012, 02:57:09 AM »
Might be just a little bit late but was wondering if there are any of the Krupp Seacoast Guns left over that you would sell?
Would love to have one.
Thanks much,
Carl

The Krupp's were a limited edition subscription that sold out several years ago.  One and perhaps two have shown up on Ebay and went quite well...even the protoypes were sold.

But then your question was realy directed to M&T, so they should answer.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #919 on: August 01, 2012, 04:06:13 AM »
     Double D. is correct, Quickgun, they are long gone, but there is a glimmer of hope for a resurrection.  Mike mentioned several times that we should do a second edition of the Krupp Howitzer.  When?  Who knows.  After the 150 Pdr. Armstrong RML is complete, I suppose.  That will be a two year build and we won't start on it until Oct. of 2013, so about 3 years or so.

Here I am, Mr. Happy Go Lucky with my Missouri farmer's hat on and look who I am flanked by.  I have a business partner Grump on the left and now a proven, southern California, curmudgeon on the right!  ;) How did this happen?

Tracy

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #920 on: August 01, 2012, 06:18:39 PM »
     Double D. is correct, Quickgun, they are long gone, but there is a glimmer of hope for a resurrection.  Mike mentioned several times that we should do a second edition of the Krupp Howitzer.  When?  Who knows.  After the 150 Pdr. Armstrong RML is complete, I suppose.  That will be a two year build and we won't start on it until Oct. of 2013, so about 3 years or so.

Here I am, Mr. Happy Go Lucky with my Missouri farmer's hat on and look who I am flanked by.  I have a business partner Grump on the left and now a proven, southern California, curmudgeon on the right!  ;) How did this happen?
Tracy

Karma!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #921 on: August 02, 2012, 04:35:42 AM »
 M&T,

Is the 150 lb Armstrong gun going to be another project for forum purchase? Or part of the seacoast lineup?  If part of a forum member purchase put me down for one now! I don’t care when it happens but I have to have one….. can I reserve serial # 2 to coincide with my Krupp?  ;D

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #922 on: August 02, 2012, 09:09:56 AM »
  Allen,   The 150 Pdr. (8") Armstrong Seacoast Rifle, RML is the last 1/6 scale rifle in our "Magnificent Seacoast Gun" series.  We bought a big pile of legal rosewood six years ago from Canada for the Upper Carriage on this particular gun and Honduras Mahogany for the Chassis, the same woods used by the Armstrong Co. to build two gun carriages for the Confederate States of America.  The gun saw extensive service during both Battles of Fort Fisher, North Carolina, (Dec. 1864 and Jan. 1865).  The second 150 Pdr. Armstrong at nearby Fort Caswell, saw none.  The gun we studied for more than two years resides at the U.S.M.A. at West Point, N.Y.  We supplied 5 copies of the gun tube drawing we created, which existed nowhere else, to West Point and 5 copies to the State of North Carolina facility at Fort Fisher.  Eight years ago we obtained an original drawing of the carriage once owned by Champlain Cannon Works who studied the original replacement carriage and built the third replacement carriage.  The Paulson Bros. built the fourth using steel and it's a beauty!

Mike and Tracy

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #923 on: January 16, 2013, 02:56:26 PM »
     Guess what, Carl, (Reply #918)  you're in luck!  Seacoast Artillery will be producing a 10 pc. run of Krupp Seacoast Artillery sometime this year.  At the urging of owners of the first Krupp release, which was a howitzer, the 10 pc. run of 2013 Krupps will be configured as the Gun was which was displayed at the Philadelphia Exhibition in 1876 or as an 11-Inch Seacoast Gun of 1867, a photo of which is below.  This will call for changes to the steel carriage as well, but the changes will be few to keep the cost of production down.  Wishing to make more than Guatemalan ditch digger wages this time, the Seacoast staff is united in our goal to equal U.S. Lumber Yard Cowboy wages.  You know the guy or gal that does the parking lot shopping-cart roundup several times a day.

The production & delivery schedule is unknown at this time, but will probably be closer to leaf watching time in Vermont rather than the 150th at Gettysburg.

The good news is that the Price is known and will be $499 per cannon.  Remember some of the previous edition went for over $600 on Ebay.

Brought forward from ancient history in this thread, this is the 14-Inch Krupp Seacoast Gun shown at the Philadelphia Exposition in 1876.

This is the 11-Inch Krupp Gun of 1867 with it's long tube and different carriage.  Maybe this one?

Good news for Rifled liner (sleeves) buyers too.  Today we ordered the steel from which the prototypes, ( 1.000" and 1.750" bore) will be made.  Also, much to our surprise, we WILL NOT be required to rifle these with 12 or 15 grooves based on the cutter width we could pull.  The larger 1.750" bore size can be rifled with just nine grooves.  By actual pull testing, we found that .340" wide grooves are possible with only a moderate extra force required.  So nine groove, (.3054" wide grooves) R.H. rifling will be used and lots of time will be saved over producing tubes with 15 grooves.  The retail cost went from $599 to $499 because of this change alone, the same price as the little Krupp Gun.

Any questions will be answered promptly.

Mike and Tracy 

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #924 on: January 16, 2013, 04:41:16 PM »
I'd like to put my name in the hat for one of the next batch of Krupps. I'd take any serial # that's available; but, #6 would match my 1st model Krupp. 10 of these won't go very far for all that will want one of them.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

« Reply #925 on: January 16, 2013, 06:05:07 PM »
I'm in for Number 24 in this series.

Will get the check out in the morning mail!

Check for Liner will go outhe 1st of  Feb.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #926 on: January 16, 2013, 07:31:14 PM »
I'll take one.  Do we really yet know exactly what our $499 buys?  Sketches would be nice.  Inquiring minds want to know.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #927 on: January 16, 2013, 07:58:43 PM »
I'm in for Number 24 in this series.

Will get the check out in the morning mail!

Check for Liner will go outhe 1st of  Feb.
No Marine! How many 24's are there in a run of ten guns ?  ;D   

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #928 on: January 16, 2013, 08:34:43 PM »
Ok I'll take #19 errr ...hum ehh #9 please left handed if possible. 8)

I am sure Spuddy will want #1 Subject to change .

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

« Reply #929 on: January 17, 2013, 02:35:27 AM »
 Serial number 24 of only 10 known to still exist...will generate wild speculation about what became of the other 14. It will be come a legendary legend.