Author Topic: I bought a T/C Cherokee 32  (Read 1375 times)

Offline shotgunner

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
I bought a T/C Cherokee 32
« on: July 09, 2010, 06:13:57 PM »
I have been hunting with a Traditions 32 caplock for a couple of years, and have wanted a Cherokee. I looked on-line and never found one for less then $500. I went to an auction the other day and my wife bid on one that looks unfired and won it for $225! I married well. Haven't shot it yet, but will probably move the Traditions. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Hunter/ Trapper/Fisherman
Owner, Skyline Skeet & Trap
Gun nut
"Game butchery is as objectionable as any other form of wanton cruelty or barbarity; but to protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: I bought a T/C Cherokee 32
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 06:22:59 PM »
That's a great price.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline shotgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 06:24:51 PM »
That is a fast reply, I just posted it. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Gun nut
"Game butchery is as objectionable as any other form of wanton cruelty or barbarity; but to protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Semisane

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 07:04:56 PM »
How much do you want for your wife?   :D
CLICK ON ME: .
Link to... highchairstands@cox.net

Offline Hopalong7

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 02:50:43 AM »
      shotgunner, You are a lucky man for at least two reasons(the rifle AND the wife).  I finally found an unfired 32 barrel for my 45 Cherokee a couple of years ago.  You didn't pay much more for the rifle than I did for just the barrel.
     BTW  I had heard all kinds of stories about how hard the 32's were to load or clean and how picky shooters they were.  I found none of that to be true.  The only thing that beats the smell of that black stuff burning on a crisp fall morning's bushy tail hunt is the gravy frying the next morning.  Mmmmm...Mmm..Mm.
You gonna love the Cherokee. ;D
Walt

Offline shotgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 03:41:16 AM »
I decided when I turned 50 that while I still love to hunt squirrels, I don't need all of them. I started with the 32 caplock gun and had a blast, pun intended. The CVA is a good shooter, will keep them in 3/4" at 25-35 yards, which will do for squirrels. Even the 32 really knocks them out of the tree. I am going to shoot the T/c first and see how it does, but am confident it will be as good or better. I use 777 powder and a round ball. It is loads of fun. Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Gun nut
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 09:03:24 AM »
I decided when I turned 50 that while I still love to hunt squirrels, I don't need all of them. I started with the 32 caplock gun and had a blast, pun intended. The CVA is a good shooter, will keep them in 3/4" at 25-35 yards, which will do for squirrels. Even the 32 really knocks them out of the tree. I am going to shoot the T/c first and see how it does, but am confident it will be as good or better. I use 777 powder and a round ball. It is loads of fun. Shotgunner
Got a .45 barrel for my .32 Cherokee a couple of years ago..In the .32, I've found that 20 grains of P Pyrodex shoots that little RB hard enough and with spitpatch wipes between shots it shoots like a .22. Don't git mine out but about once a year,sure enjoy shooting it when i do though... :)
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline Rock Home Isle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 06:46:42 PM »
I have been hunting with a Traditions 32 caplock for a couple of years, and have wanted a Cherokee. I looked on-line and never found one for less then $500. I went to an auction the other day and my wife bid on one that looks unfired and won it for $225! I married well. Haven't shot it yet, but will probably move the Traditions. Shotgunner

Congratulations...very nice purchase. You will love shooting that little gun.  8)
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline shotgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 02:08:54 AM »
Correction, the 32 I had to start was a CVA Squirrel, not a Traditions. Too many guns to keep track of I guess.  Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Gun nut
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Czech_too

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 12:26:52 AM »
I just picked up a 32 Cherokee, in kit form, yesterday.  The previous owner had started to assemble it.  The stock needs a bit more sanding and then a finish of some sort.  Haven't decided whether to go with linseed or...
My 'problem' is that most of the wood screws in the kit are no longer in the packaging so I have no way to tell which belong to what/where.  Could someone post pictures of the left side, opposite the lock, and the trigger guard?  I want to make sure I get this right.

This is my first BP rifle and I REALLY look forward to shooting it.  I'm not trying to hijack this thread, it just seems to be the best way to get the information I seek.

Brian, in Ohio
NRA Life Member
Cruffler
INOA

genealogy, another area of interest

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 03:12:29 AM »
I would use Minwax Satin Tungoil Finish.  Linseed Oil is a pain in the butt even if you know what you're doing.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 12:54:25 PM »
Agreed, tungoil is the way to go.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Lost Oki

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 03:44:14 PM »
I have used the quick dry linseed oils and did not like the finish.  Then tried Formby's Tung Oil, nice finish but nothing to keep the sun from fading out the stock.  Last two stocks I used a Danish Teak Oil finish.  Have not tried the Minwax but will bet its good.  Key is prep.  If you will search GBO you will find lots of help.  So far, the teak oil is my favorite. does take a little longer to dry but is holding up great after 4 years.