Author Topic: My 22-250 loves 55 grain Sierra BT HP'S!!!!!  (Read 930 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
My 22-250 loves 55 grain Sierra BT HP'S!!!!!
« on: July 10, 2010, 01:00:09 PM »
My 22-250 loves 55 grain Sierra BT HP'S. I bought a box of them on the way home from work yesterday to give them a try. I shot a couple different one hole groups today with them and Varget powder. I am going to load some more of them with powder weight between 35 and 36 grains of Varget to see witch are the most accurate. I don't think I will be looking for any other bullet for this rifle now. I think I found it even though the Sierra 53 grain HP Match bullet shoots great. I think this one shoots just a little better. Here are a couple pictures of the targets I shot today. I think 35.5 grains shows real promise. The one center target that was shot with that weight is not all that tight of a group but the barrel was pretty hot when I shot it. The group prior using the same charge was a 1 hole group. Take care Dale

The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline DalesCarpentry

Re: My 22-250 loves 55 grain Sierra BT HP'S!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 01:07:05 PM »
34.6 grains also looks promising. I have to say this rifle is turning out to be a real good shooter with my reloads. It seems it will shoot under a 1/2" at 100 yards pretty easy as of late. I can't wait to replace the stock with a Bell and Carlson stock and get the barrel free floated. I really think it will shine then. The rifle has also proven to be a Groundhogs worst nightmare. I have taken 16 of them this year. :o ;D Take care Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 02:54:02 PM »
This new bullet I am loading is the Sierra Game King 55 grain boat tail hollow point. Acording to Sierra's website the Game King bullet is a large game bullet. Is this true? Could this bullet be used on deer? I would consider it a Varmint bullet what would call it? Thanks Dale
http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=bullets&page=rifle&brandID=2

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 03:04:46 PM »
The 55 gr Game King spitzer boat tail has a thicker jacket to drive deeper for deer and hogs.
I just loaded up some with H-380 for deer this year.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 03:38:46 PM »
 ;D  Dale, I think I mentioned at one point I shot quite a bit of game with the Serria 55 grain HPBT...it is deadly though the lungs...but a 165 grain .30 hpbt is even more deadly...but if you only have one rifle, you would have to make due...good luck and good shooting..keep whacking those chucks..looks like I will not make Pa. for any this year...instead will suffer fishing for trout is SW Montana...keep 'em thinnned...

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 03:37:30 AM »
I'm loading the SPBT Gameking 55 gr for my .223. I'm hoping to load a single "do it all load" so I can use it for foxes, coyotes, and deer (ours around here tend to be small).
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 06:54:56 PM »
I believe that is the Sierra #1390 bullet. I use those in my 223 AR platforms for matches and coyotes with a max load of AA2230. Shoots a tiny hole at 100 yds out of the quick twist barrels. It'll put ol' Wiley down in a heart beat out to about 250 yds.