Author Topic: cva elite stalker  (Read 23906 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
cva elite stalker
« on: July 10, 2010, 04:25:48 PM »
Saw these at dicks. All stainless barrel and receiver. they have them in .270 and 30-06 with black synthetic stock for $219.00. Anyone have one and if so how are they. Called cva and they said the barrels are not exchangable.

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: cva elite stalker
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 09:52:29 AM »
My local Dick's has 223, 7mm-08, 270 and 30-06 on sale. They also said no change barrels, but the barrel is a CVA Optima Elite Stalker, is not that the changeable barrel model?

Even if the barrels are not interchangeable, at $220 you can buy whole rifles for less than stainless changeable barrels.

Would also like to know how they shoot.

I hope to have enough saved by the end of the month to buy something.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 10:02:30 AM »
all my dicks in 100 miles only got 270 and 06. I want one in a 7-08. I hope one comes in soon. for that much Ill get one and find out if it shoots.

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 07:37:34 AM »
If you have an Academy Sports in your area, they have them for $179.99 now. I may have to look at one for my son.

Offline lrthumper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 01:35:14 PM »
Just bought one at Academy. I have the optima elite in 7-08 and it shoots inside 1 1/2" at 100 yards. The stalker is .243 and i think it is going to be a shooter.

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 10:26:49 AM »
ltr,

How much difference is there between the two guns?

Offline lrthumper

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 02:26:14 PM »
The optima elite has the thumb hole stock, the stalker doesn't. The stalker also has the full contour barrel, it is also drilled for sights and scope. but it doesn't come with either. Mine didn't come with a scope base. Everything else seems to be the same, going to disassemble and check to see if barrels might inter change. By the way Academy prices were, 179.00 for blue and 199.00 for stainless.

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »
I took the kids to the movies yesterday in the big city and had to stop by Academy before heading home. I saw the CVA Staker and handled it a little bit. I have been wanting to pick up a single shot CVA for some while now but just never got around to it. Well at this price they are hard to pass up. My money was a little short after a movie, snacks and supper ;D but I will be back down there in a few days and hopefully will get to pick one up. What scope base do this rifle take? Salesman said no scope base comes with it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 01:48:07 PM »
Should be the same as the Optima Elite, see the sticky, you just can't swap barrels.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline vietnam71

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 06:19:02 AM »
I'm new to GBO but just bought one the Optima Elite Stalkers in .270 at Dicks.  Mounted a Nikon 3x9 BDC on it.  At the range yesterday sight in session 1/2 groups at 100 yards.  Took a chance on the purchase and it paid off.

Chuck
Hudson Valley NY
Chuck
POW-MIA's
Never Forget

Offline danget727

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 02:54:09 AM »
I just bought the Elite Stalker from Academys in San Antonio....270 cal for $159+tax.....got the Nikon 3200 3-9x40 scope and boresighted it.....now to take it to the range and try it out.....hope I'm not disapointed....

Offline rbstern

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 06:20:23 PM »
For those of you who are curious about the Stalker Elite, this may be interesting.

I've been trying to buy a .308 barrel for my Optima Elite for a number of months.  Nobody has them.  But they kept showing up at Academy attached to Stalker Elite frames, so I was getting curious.  Today, I picked up a used Stalker Elite in .308, took it apart, and compared the receiver and barrel to my Optima Elite.

Here's what CVA did:  The Stalker Elite barrel and receiver are exactly the same as the Optima Elita barrel and receiver...except for one minor change.  Just in front of mating hole where the receiver pin slides in, they machined away about 0.025" of metal from the either side of the barrel lug.  The Stalker Elite receiver has about an extra 0.025" of metal on each inside shoulder at the front of the receiver, where the receiver interfaces with the barrel lug.  The Stalker Elite barrel (which is labelled "Optima Elite" on one side and "Stalker" on the other) fits in the Optima Elite receiver.  Fits up perfectly with the pin in.  The Optima Elite barrel does not fit in the Stalker Elite frame due to the extra metal in the shoulders of the Stalker Elite frame.

I don't know if they machined the different calibers of Stalker Elite receivers and barrels slightly differently to prevent caliber interchange.  It's certainly possible.

I also don't know what the marketing or corporate mission was with this:  They added an extra manufacturing step for both the receiver and the barrel to create a product that's less flexible and sells for less at retail.  Would probably have had to been a fly on the wall at CVA headquarters to really know why they did it.  Optima Elite too costly/not selling well?  Contract with Bergara for a minimum number of barrels, and couldn't sell them at $200+ per barrel or $300+ per rifle, hence a hobbled $179 rifle?

Fascinating stuff. Regardiless, these are great rifles for the money.

Offline briannmilewis

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 08:31:38 AM »
Outstanding work rb! I do not own either, but it sure adds a lot of value to a Stalker Elite purchase.

One question, have you fired some rounds thru the Optima frame/Stalker barrel combo yet?

I know if it locks up tight you should not expect any problems, just wondering.

Offline rbstern

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 09:41:37 AM »
Outstanding work rb! I do not own either, but it sure adds a lot of value to a Stalker Elite purchase.

One question, have you fired some rounds thru the Optima frame/Stalker barrel combo yet?

I know if it locks up tight you should not expect any problems, just wondering.

Haven't fired 'em yet.  There is no difference in lockup.  Tight as a drum.  The pivot pin is what provides the barrel-to-receiver fit.  The shoulder area that CVA is varying to limit interchangability appears to be a non-critical fit area.  Even on my Optima barrels, that shoulder area of the receiver doesn't mate tightly with Optima barrel lugs.  WIthout the pin, there is play right there.  The very close tolerances of the pin to the barrel and receiver holes is what makes the gun lock tightly.  And it's a very hefty, hard, steel pin, as it should be.  The quality of the metalwork on these guns is pretty impressive.  They are well machined and the steel is hard.

Offline danget727

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 02:34:16 AM »
Sighted my Elite Stalker in at 100 yards yesterday....real nice groups...didn't physically measure them with a tape but eyeballing the holes from 100 yards looks like an inch apart...this rifle is a keeper for me.....

Offline mwsc18

• Classified -- Banned
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
Does the barrel eject the spent shell or does it have to be pulled out...?

Offline rbstern

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 07:49:23 AM »
Both the Optima Elite and Stalker Elite use extractor style mechanisms.  The shell is pulled partly out of the chamber, and you have to finish the job.  As a reloader, I prefer this to an ejector.  Would rather not chase my brass into the weeds.

Offline oldyardog

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 07:48:22 AM »
I bought the Stalker in 7-08 and am very pleased with it. Has any one gotten a .223? How is it shooting out to 200 yds? I think I want another one in that cal.

Oldyardog

Offline APEX PREDATOR

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 07:41:13 AM »
I was checking one out at dicks yesterday, they feel good, but does dicks carry a 308.
Thanks
Apex
There is nothin higher on the food chain than me

Offline rbstern

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 08:09:23 AM »
I was checking one out at dicks yesterday, they feel good, but does dicks carry a 308.
Thanks
Apex

Yes, but they've gotten extremely scarce.

Offline RangerMan

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 11:44:50 AM »
Academy has blued barrel stalkers on sale for 159.00.  Bought stainless in .243 two months ago and got 1" groups at 100 yrds with Burris Fullfield II 3 x 9.  Bought 7mm 08 today and another Burris scope - hope to get similar results.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 01:02:58 PM »
I was down at a friends shop today,and there was a guy there with a new Stalker that he had just bought for $160 at Acadamy. He mounted a $80 dollor Barska scope on it,and took it and some handloads to the range.I could not belive the 200 yd. target. This gun shot a less than 1" in one group and 11/4" in another group at 200 yds. To say he was proud of the stalker would be a huge understatment. I don't know if all of the stalkers are this accurate,but if they are,its the best bargain in the gun world. And to top it all it was a 30 06.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline dd6

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 04:40:20 PM »
First post here.
After looking into it, bought CVA Elite Stalker .223, $169 at Dicks, 3-9 Busnell Banner scope $89. They install scope mounts, Weaver rings and bore sight it. At the Plymouth Mtg. Pa. store they only stocked it in .06 and .270, but they overnighted it from the Harrisburg store for N/C.

At the range, it was way off and had to eye ball it through the barrel to line up the scope, but that was it. Got on paper, then it was a shooter, so far down to 3/4" groups. The trigger lock time is what you expect for a hammer, but when you get the feel, its ok. So far about 100 rounds through without a glitch, prob. get to 1/2" with time. The scope is good, clear and consistant as my Luepold vxII's.

For rifles, having a Rem. 700 in 30-06, Rem. 721 in .270 and a .22, the only other need was a .223, so this seemed to fit the bill. Satisfied so far!

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 02:26:41 PM »
What base and rings are u guys using on your stalkers as they dont come stock with one?

Offline rbstern

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 07:07:10 PM »
What base and rings are u guys using on your stalkers as they dont come stock with one?

I use this base in the 1 piece form.  It allows a lot more spacing of the rings than the two piece setup.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHeadŽ-Z2-WeaverStyle-Scope-Mounting-Bases/product/64579/-1264679

For rings, I have Traditions medium height steel rings on my 223 barrel, and NC Star's QD rings on my 308.  WIth 40mm objectives, any reasonably "medium" base works.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 11:30:22 PM »
Is it a z2 base or weaver and if so what #. Ordered a Z2 with connected rings and was just told it was on backorder so was hoping weaver had a one piece.

Offline rbstern

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 03:18:33 AM »
Is it a z2 base or weaver and if so what #. Ordered a Z2 with connected rings and was just told it was on backorder so was hoping weaver had a one piece.

Z-2.  Bass Pro item #38-886-198-01.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHeadŽ-Z2-WeaverStyle-Scope-Mounting-Bases/product/64579/-1264679

Offline dd6

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 04:03:35 PM »
Dicks inst'd the 2 piece weaver on my 223, Deerhunter is right about having little windage movement so i might try the 1 piece mount too. The thing i like about the Stalker like most break actions is the drop in comb and the high stock, makes shooting the 700 and feel wrong.

Offline Magnum_A5

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 11:39:10 AM »
rbstern,
have you shot the stalker barrel while mounted to the elite? If so, what type of outcome did you have?

Offline rbstern

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 11:41:51 AM »
rbstern,
have you shot the stalker barrel while mounted to the elite? If so, what type of outcome did you have?

Magnum, bad weather, too much work (not a bad thing), family obligations (not a bad thing either), and a busted truck (definitely a bad thing) are preventing me from getting to the 100/200 yard outdoor range at my gun club. 

Promise a full shooting report as soon as it happens.  But it might be weeks from now.