Author Topic: cva elite stalker  (Read 23901 times)

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: cva elite stalker
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 01:57:19 AM »
If you have an Academy Sports in your area, they have them for $179.99 now. I may have to look at one for my son.

If you can find one, I was in NLR last week & no dice & they did not know if they will get any.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline qotsarock

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 06:00:44 AM »
rbstern,
have you shot the stalker barrel while mounted to the elite? If so, what type of outcome did you have?

Magnum, bad weather, too much work (not a bad thing), family obligations (not a bad thing either), and a busted truck (definitely a bad thing) are preventing me from getting to the 100/200 yard outdoor range at my gun club. 

Promise a full shooting report as soon as it happens.  But it might be weeks from now.

Sorry to drag this topic back up, but am really interested to hear if anyone has tried this and can report the result?  Just got a Stalker in 7mm-08.

Thanks!

Offline rbstern

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 06:33:51 AM »
rbstern,
have you shot the stalker barrel while mounted to the elite? If so, what type of outcome did you have?

Magnum, bad weather, too much work (not a bad thing), family obligations (not a bad thing either), and a busted truck (definitely a bad thing) are preventing me from getting to the 100/200 yard outdoor range at my gun club. 

Promise a full shooting report as soon as it happens.  But it might be weeks from now.

Sorry to drag this topic back up, but am really interested to hear if anyone has tried this and can report the result?  Just got a Stalker in 7mm-08.

Thanks!

Yes, I have shot the Elite Stalker 308 barrel on my Optima Elite frame.  Functioned fine, but the offhand accuracy was iffy, if I remember correctly.  That could have been me, the gun, or both.  Haven't worked up a series of ammo for a serious test of accuracy (yet).

Offline qotsarock

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 07:42:42 AM »
Rbstern,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'd love to hear the result after some time on the bench. 

Does the barrel shoot well in the original Stalker frame?

The option of switching barrels is really attractive, even if it means getting an Optima Elite frame.

Offline rbstern

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Rbstern,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'd love to hear the result after some time on the bench. 

Does the barrel shoot well in the original Stalker frame?

The option of switching barrels is really attractive, even if it means getting an Optima Elite frame.

Honestly, I can't recall that I even tried it in the original configuration.  Other priorities have taken my attention away from shooting sports for the last six months.  Hope to get back to it sometime soon, and if I do, I will share any data I accumulate.

Offline evidrine

• Avid Poster
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 08:30:37 AM »
Hi fellas! New here so for give me for bringing up old topics in the near future. I was very happy to see that CVA had finally come out with its "response" to the TC contenders and encores by offering thier own single shot rifles. Started getting the urge for a single shot but was not nearly ready to handle the TC price tag. I originally purchased the Optima elite in .45/70 and absolutely love this gun. As soon as I had seen that the Elite Stalker had made an appearance i jumped on it. Picked up the .270 version for around $150 bucks at Academy and topped it off with a Simmons 4x12x50. I found that the standard weaver rail and rings that you find down the CVA Muzzleloaders isle of your local sports and outdoors store work great with a cheaper price tag. I have had this gun for a while now, but unfortunately things got way too busy for me and still have not had a chance to shoot it. As long as its performance it anything close to the .45/70 I own, the results will be great. Appreciate all the info, especially from rbstern. Very interesting stuff. Thanks.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 08:44:50 AM »
I have a .444 Stalker on order. I was told there the same as the OE except changing barrels and at a less exspensive price.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline evidrine

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2011, 05:33:39 AM »
 8)

Offline crazylikeafox

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2011, 05:26:52 AM »
I picked up a Elite Stalker last week in a .35 whelen, with a stainless steel barrel and realtree apg green stock.  I must say, I've been very impressed with it so far.  I just have an old NcStar red dot shotgun scope on it at the moment, but will be fitting it with probably a Nikon prostaff 3x9-40mm soon. 

Offline evidrine

• Avid Poster
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2011, 07:14:34 AM »
Lets see a picture of it. 8)

Offline crazylikeafox

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2011, 04:37:25 AM »
I'll try and get one for you tonight and get it posted.

Offline grnyammer

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2011, 05:54:07 PM »
Hi guys, new guy here just wanted to post this.
Just got  a Elite Stalker in .35 Whelen yesterday. Combo package with a Nikon 3-9 BDC. Haven't had time to shoot it yet. Hope it shoots well. Matte blue (black??) with black spider web stock. Really like the high rise cheek piece. Strange note, CVA web site does not show or reference the Elite Stalker. Wonder why? According to the Stalker Manual barrel is not interchangeable.
God, Family, Friends what more could you want....oh yeah GUNS!

Offline rbstern

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 07:31:04 PM »
Sorry for the delayed report.  Finally back at it with this 308 setup.

I had a chance to run about 25 rounds through the Stalker 308 Win barrel, mated to my Optima Elite receiver.  After I got the Leupold M8-3x dialed in, I put 10 shots into a 1.5" group at 75 yards with 42.5 grains of IMR 4895 under a Hornady 150gr Interlock SP.  That's about the best I can manage with the trigger on this receiver.  It's crisp, but the break is still a bit stiff.  Need to work on lightening it.

I also tried some 155 grain hard cast/gas checked rounds from a Lee mold (the 312-155...Lee's 7.62x39 mold, sized .309).  40 grains of IMR 4895.  Didn't group well at all.  Probably pushing them too hard.  I'm going to dial back that load a few grains and try again.  I'm hoping to use these bullets for a mild 308 Win deer load for my son and his cousins to use.

Overall, pleased with the barrel and the fact that it works with my Optima Elite receiver.