Author Topic: Single Action or Semi-Auto?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline RIFLE MAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Single Action or Semi-Auto?
« on: July 11, 2010, 05:05:13 PM »
How many would feel comfortable carrying a single action revolver for personal
protection? Which would you trust most of the time as far as dependability is
concerned...single action or semi-auto? Please elaborate on your answers.

Most kindly,
Rifle Man
"Smile, Shake a hand, and be a friend."

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Single Action or Semi-Auto?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 05:55:33 PM »
i almost always carry a glock on me when im out and about
but when im out in the woods or more rural settings i carry my vaquero
the thing to me abt carrying a single action is that you can operate it with one hand in case the other hand is needed to fend off, hang onto, drive or whatever the case may be. unless you carry your semi cocked and locked or round chambered then you are gonna need two hands to operate it.
the main thing abt carrying my glock especially is that with it fully loaded it still weighs less than my vaquero does empty.
admittedly i was just about born with a single action in hand but i can draw from cover and put two rounds just as accurately and alot faster with my vaquero than i can with my glock or any other type of handgun for that matter.
i would never feel undergunned with my vaquero.
just my two on it
sureshot

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:05:14 AM »
if it were all i had id use one and it probably would do fine as ive yet to fire a shot in self defense anyway but theres better guns for the purpose
blue lives matter

Offline flintlock

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 02:12:50 AM »
Sure, you can jack a round in that Glock by raking it across your leg...

I to carry a Glock for concealed carry and usually carry my .357 or .44 Blackhawk when in the woods...

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 03:53:56 AM »
I love my single actions, and love carrying them in the woods.  But for defense, it's a semi-auto.  Usually a 1911, cocked and locked, but often now days it is a Kel Tec PF9 DAO.  In the woods, it's a single action every time.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Axehandle

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 05:40:36 AM »
Single Action Semi Auto...  Primarily because when actions become spinal I am hard wired 1911...

Offline jimster

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 05:44:29 AM »
Comfortable with a single action in countryish settings, for defense in more of a public place a 1911 or .38 special revolver.
I cut my teeth on single actions, but I'm a lot faster with cocked and locked auto while presenting it from a concealed position.  
Far as dependability I don't see a difference, they all are working at this time until something breaks.

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 12:15:51 AM »
I carry a SA revolver mostly when camping of hunting.  My favorite for this purpose is my old C&B Remington replica.  Its great for potting small game and I would not feel unarmed if I had to use it socially.  However,  for CCW I use either my 357mag 2 inch revolver or my Taurus PT 145 Millennium pro on 45 ACP most of the time.  If I am not wearing a jacket I mostly carry my Beretta Tomcat in 32 ACP in my pocket.

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 11:53:48 AM »
I have had a few semi-autos in the past, and currently have 2 Colt 1911's, but my normal cary gun used to be a 2in Ultralite 5 shot DA 38 special. I say used to be, because the last year or so, I find myself more often than not carying a Uberti SA 45 Colt caliber revolver. 3in bbl with the Thunderer gripframe and Tru-Ivory grips. The gun sits nice in my hand, carys well in an ITW holster, has the little spring safety on the hammer, and holds one more round of a more powerful caliber if I ever need it. As far as shooting, there is no advantage for me in a DA revolver, as I find that I neither can, or wish, to brake myself of the process of thumbing back the hammer for each shot on any revolver I shoot. But then, I've shot mostly SA's for most of my life, and only shot the DA's for a couple years long ago when I was a small town cop in NM. I carried a SA there for the first year, till I could afford a DA, and never felt disadvanted with it then, or now.

This summer I'm not shooting at all due to an impinged nerv and the Dr. restricting me from shooting till mid or late August, but in a normal year, I might shoot half a box of shells in one of my semi-auto's, maybe a half to full box in the ultralite, and probibly 200 to 500 rounds a month in assorted SA's.

That help explain my choice for a SA for cary most of the time?? It's an extension of my hand, and a DA or Semi-Auto just don't "Feel" right to me.

Greeenriver
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 12:05:50 PM »
I depend on several big bore S/A's for protection when I am out in the bear / moose woods, but for self defense against two legged predators, I'll reach for a laser sighted Glock every time....  It's just not a matter of reliability, as both are.  It's also based on speed, handling, and ability to put rounds down range at multiple targets, maybe in poor light,  fast and accurately.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 02:53:48 PM »
In rural settings and farther out in the brush, I have always been fine with a good single action, but entering the big towns, the chance to encounter multiple assailants (as in gang activity) has become too high to think of any option other than a good semiauto. 

With that said, new situations are beginning to arise in remote areas across the Southwest.  Just last week, in the county of our 18 year old hunting camp, it was confirmed that a group on foot armed with semiauto carbines escaped with a truck taken from an oil & gas company employee while in the field checking pressure tanks.  While there had been rumors for some time, this incident was observed and documented well enough to cause companies in the area to change security procedures for field operations and stations across the Brush Country and Trans-Pecos regions.  This season's outings will require planning and communication that we could never have imagined a few years ago.

Offline Keith L

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 03:36:39 PM »
For personal protection a single action was fine 125 years ago.  Now if you really need the protection get a semi-auto and get real good with it.  Fact is that even the best single action handler will be able to get fewer shots off at the assailant.  And you will not have time to aim.  most attacks start within 9 yards.  If your single action is a long barrel like mine are you won't even clear leather in time.

Many of the people I know that carry never take the time to learn how to defend themselves, or even shoot their carry weapon.  For them it is a fashion accessory anyway, so it really makes little difference.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Frank V

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 04:20:02 PM »
I'm going to be pretty vague here. There are a growing group of people who are very proficient with a SA Colt style revolver. For those who are good, really good, with a SA revolver, I'd say carry it. I firmly believe a person should carry what they are comfortable with. Getting first round hits & keeping cool are what will win a fight.
  for others I'd say a good SA auto will be a good choice. There are even some who don't feel unarmed with a good DA revolver, myself included, that said my feelings are to carry what you are comfortable with. Nowdays predators tend to run in packs in citys & a good SA auto if you can really use it is a good choice.
Frank
" U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 01:53:28 AM »
woods protection and urban protection are two totaly differnt things. In the woods where there are bigger animals i want power more then speed. In urban protection when someone could be shooting back ill take speed and ease of reload. Way to much stress in a gun fight to keep your cool enough to quickly reload a sa gun. I see nothing wrong with a da and speedloaders if your good with them and practice but me ill take a 1911. I can run one in my sleep and everything comes without even thinking even under stress. No matter what you carrry thats the most important thing. Most defense shootings will be up close and personal and very stressfull. Hell i wouldnt want to face a man with a knife that is actually competent in using it.
blue lives matter

Offline sixgun_symphony

• Avid Poster
  • Rabid, Avid Shooter
    • http://www.myspace.com/sixgun_symphony
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 07:37:41 PM »
 A large caliber SA revolver will drop a crook just fine.

As far as firepower, a trip down mainstreet or even the meanstreet is not the same as a ride into Baghdad. The way some go on about needing firepower, I am surprised they are not wearing the full IBA/IOTV with SAPI plates and groin protector.
NRA - Endowment Life Member
NMLRA - Life Member
SASS - #62632

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 01:33:05 AM »
Personaly i live in an area where your more apt to be hit by lightning twice in the same day as have to use a gun to defend yourself but i still do carry one. As to firepower if you ever do need to use it i can bet you it aint going to be up against one guy with a muzzleloader. Any criminal thats going to shoot you is going to have a semi auto and chances are theres going to be more then one of them. In a case like that i wouldnt want to be strapped with a SA gun. Sure it better then a stick but ill take a semi auto any day over a sa and the nice thing is there easier to conseal. Ive never heard a person that  was attacked or a police officer that used a gun against a criminal say they felt they had to much firepower. Like i said if anyone could get away with carrying a sa it would be me as the chance it would ever be fired is slim and none but it snows in july on rare occasions too.
blue lives matter

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 03:31:03 AM »
I would like to say that it would be a SA because it is the one that I routinely use and am comforatable with...besides that, I do not even own a Semi-Auto.

Additional handicaps are that my State does not allow CCW so my point would be moot anyway.

I have seen more than one gunfight that was captured by surveillance video...There is usually so much ducking and dancing going on that a kid with a BB gun could calmly shoot the perp and the citizen without suffering a hit.

With that being said, I would still lean towards the SA if ccw did pass here as it seems that the ability to stay calm and cool under the circumstances would hold trump. I do not know if I could do this but do know that when I shoot, I like to take the split second necessary to get a hit. One can draw from his\her hunting experience and I have had my share of the unexpected deer, or especially a fast Coyote close in very quickly. They usually do not get away as the rifle or handgun seems to do its thing all by it'self to include that SA which mysteriously seems to have re-cocked it'self immediatley after firing.

Suprise would also be a big factor. Once the criminal's find that their (pigeon) is armed, one might have taken out a couple of them and be working on a third. Five shots can be a lot if administered correctly.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 03:45:48 AM »
I shot a single action in competition for several years and feel confident in its use . I shot IDPA with a DA revolver and autos . A DA revolver is a good choice , A Da auto is also good , a SA revolver would not be my first choice and a SA auto like the 1911 is one of the fastest first shots you can have IMO , when you cock a SA revolver you have to adjust your grip if shooting with one hand . With a 1911 as you wipe the safety off you can fire as your grip is good . After the first shot the 1911 wins hands down for speed ( why else is it used for comp and spc ops ) .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 03:49:53 AM »
Glanceblamm, sorry you don't live in a part of 'real america'. 
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 10:49:31 AM »
Glanceblamm, sorry you don't live in a part of 'real america'. 

If we could just cut off that N/E corner here in IL (Read Chicago) we would be ok as most counties are Red. The Mayor of Chicago was outraged at the recent Supreme court ruling and was threatining to take the issue to the U.N. World court or something like that. This would be highly laughable if it weren't so serious. The fight for ccw is not over here...We continue to push hard and there is hope as the likes of Neighboring Indiana has lifetime ccw avalible for $50.

Offline EdK

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 11:52:56 AM »
Seems to me if you knew you were entering a zone where multiple armed assailants was a real possibility, I would choose to (1) not go if at all possible or (2) go with a long gun such as Benelli M1 or carbine. I structure my life so I don't have to go to these places - ever. As to the original question, it seems that both choices are a mistake if you go somewhere expecting trouble. Now if we were talking typical America where crime is the exception and not the rule, I don't know if the choice really makes all that much difference provided that one was proficient with whatever one's choice were to be.

Offline Keith L

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 04:07:59 PM »
I hope all the people who are convinced they will prevail in a gunfight with their ability to stay calm and aim never have to find out what one is like.  Kind of reminds me of the guy who told me once that only the stupid guys died in Viet Nam, so he would have survived for sure.  Those never there will never really know. 
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 09:33:59 AM »
I would say most of us tend to try and avoid places where you may encounter multiple attackers but there are times you may not due to work circumstances or such. The other problem is gang activity is now showing up in suberbia and the fringes of some rural areas around here. House break ins and crime in general is way up and now occuring in places where it was virtually unheard of. The worse unemployment and the economy gets the more problems there will be in places they do not usually happen. The big cities are not the only places with the IA problems. They are enlarging the ranks of the gangs around here. These days you just dont know what the heck you are going to run into and it does not have to be in the big city . Whether its the nut that goes postal at McDonalds or the local Mall or it could be 3 or 4 guys that are going to hit the gas station you just walked into. They know what they are up to but you dont until its already going down. I love my single actions but for CCW I'll take a DA revolver that I can use SA if I need to. You can argue about how fast a SA is on the first shot all day but there is now way you can tell anyone how many shots you will need to fire or if you will need to reload. We can quote stats and probablities and guess all we want and if you can tell us with 100% certainty whats going to happen before it does would you please give us the winning lottery numbers too ;D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 09:58:09 AM »
I hope all the people who are convinced they will prevail in a gunfight with their ability to stay calm and aim never have to find out what one is like.  Kind of reminds me of the guy who told me once that only the stupid guys died in Viet Nam, so he would have survived for sure.  Those never there will never really know. 

And those who have - know that falling apart out of sheer fear will almost insure your defeat . One who has really faced the danger can atest that a predator be it animal or man senses fear in its prey often not showing it and showing a calm and direct reply to agression will often cause the attacker to rethink his position and call off the attack . This is because he thinks your ablity to face him with out showing fear might mean you have the means to destory him . I do not compare this to combat as i have not been there but i have faced predators both on the street and in my home and can assure it is true.
There is also an old saying about aiming in a fight - you can't miss fast enough to win !

And that little POS about our soilders in VN , the guy who said it should be tared and feathered IMHO. WE OWE OR MILITARY COMPLETE RESPECT !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 01:56:53 PM »

Yeah, gunfights sure do look easy in the movies.

I have had to draw several times for real in the civilian world, but did not have to fire a shot, thank God !!!

I can tell you, your perspective will be a whole lot different when death (either yours or his) is imminent.

:o  :o  :o

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 12:28:21 PM »
For urban self defense I cary a single action semi-auto; a 1911.  However in the woods it's a Blackhawk in 45 Colt with a 5.5" barrel.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 04:11:40 PM »
I would like to say that it would be a SA because it is the one that I routinely use and am comforatable with...besides that, I do not even own a Semi-Auto.

Additional handicaps are that my State does not allow CCW so my point would be moot anyway.

I have seen more than one gunfight that was captured by surveillance video...There is usually so much ducking and dancing going on that a kid with a BB gun could calmly shoot the perp and the citizen without suffering a hit.

With that being said, I would still lean towards the SA if ccw did pass here as it seems that the ability to stay calm and cool under the circumstances would hold trump. I do not know if I could do this but do know that when I shoot, I like to take the split second necessary to get a hit. One can draw from his\her hunting experience and I have had my share of the unexpected deer, or especially a fast Coyote close in very quickly. They usually do not get away as the rifle or handgun seems to do its thing all by it'self to include that SA which mysteriously seems to have re-cocked it'self immediatley after firing.

Suprise would also be a big factor. Once the criminal's find that their (pigeon) is armed, one might have taken out a couple of them and be working on a third. Five shots can be a lot if administered correctly.

Under the right circumstances,concealed carry being illegal makes it all the more important to carry that way and do it well.
 If you have the reflex down so well that it just happens,then SA isnt that much disadvantage so long as you dont need to reload. I wouldnt want to bet on six bullets for three attackers though. Lets say you hit perfectly each time. That leaves three bullets if you dont one down in a single try. If it takes a second bullet, then that leaves two if one of the other two dont go down in a single try. If it takes three,that only leaves one. There just is not a lot of margin for error. While I dont see the need to carry 4 17 round magazines around,I do see the need for spares. If I had something that had that kind of capacity,I would carry one spare,not for the extra ammo,but in case of malfunctions. With my 1911 I carry two spare 8 round mags. If figure by 25 shots,either Im down or hes down. Honestly most criminals Ive seen dont carry extra ammo. In fact,Ive seen alot of 25acp and 22lr handguns in such bad shape that its not even a sure thing that they will actually fire. They think a gun,any gun,makes them a god,and are 100% confident in their ability to be an expert marksman should they want to shoot someone. I worked with a guy at a mini-market many years ago who carried a little chrome 25 ,claimed he could hit anything under any conditions,and whose entire experience firing a handgun (by his own admission) was shooting a magazine at a street lamp. He thought my Browning Hi Power "was a big gun".