Author Topic: Single Action or Semi-Auto?  (Read 6583 times)

Offline RIFLE MAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Single Action or Semi-Auto?
« on: July 11, 2010, 05:07:05 PM »
How many would feel comfortable carrying a single action revolver for personal
protection? Which would you trust most of the time as far as dependability is
concerned...single action or semi-auto? Please elaborate on your answers.

Most kindly,
Rifle Man 
"Smile, Shake a hand, and be a friend."

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Single Action or Semi-Auto?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 02:38:51 AM »
I am not sure I understand your question completely, for years I carried a colt 1911, that I carried with the hammer down, so the first shot was single action, my main carry gun is now a Glock.
I do not believe in spray and pray, but I do believe in giving myself every advantage if the need arises, and a single action revolver, in my opinion would hinder follow up shots.
But with any firearm, the one you have when needed it, is better than no gun at all.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 03:26:20 AM »
Depends on what for. I've never been a auto fan, don't currently own one, but you can't find a SA small enough to conceal in warm weather. On the other hand if you are looking for bear protection SA's have the power to do some good. Also they can be loaded with a much wider variety of ammo from shot loads for snakes to squib loads for bunnies without making a big fuss to some real high power stuff.

I would say in general SA's for the country and autos for urban areas

You pose an odd comparison by not including DA six shooters which would be my choice for concealed carry and they would meet a lot of uses for country living too.

Offline J'hawker

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:59:26 AM »
I would say in general SA's for the country and autos for urban areas.

I'd agree, it makes a lot of sense to me.
Well done is better than well said....Benjamin Franklin

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 02:07:54 PM »
but you can't find a SA small enough to conceal in warm weather

Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 02:44:46 PM »
I would not feel comfortable carrying a Single Action revolver for personal protection. But I do carry them for hunting.

For the application described, I prefer the Double Action revolver, in any clime and place. Why? clearing procedures on a DA revolver is one handed: pull the trigger again. You can get them in .357mag, which gives you lots of loading options. Many are much more mechanically rugged than many semi-autos, and you can get them in snubby form for concealability.

If I had a reasonable suspicion that I would be confronted by a large group of armed opponents, I'd skip the semi-auto pistol and grab a carbine with hi-cap mags.
held fast

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 06:15:06 PM »
I am not sure I understand your question completely, for years I carried a colt 1911, that I carried with the hammer down, so the first shot was single action, my main carry gun is now a Glock.
I do not believe in spray and pray, but I do believe in giving myself every advantage if the need arises, and a single action revolver, in my opinion would hinder follow up shots.
But with any firearm, the one you have when needed it, is better than no gun at all.

Ive carried a Browning Hi Power and a 1911,both "Condition 1",hammer back with a round in the chamber and the safety on. I love single action semi autos and consider them very reliable. I do have to say though,a single action revolver is about the most reliable thing you can get your hands on,except perhaps a single shot break open shotgun. I know there are some who insist that the only thing worth having in a gunfight is a plastic gun that holds 20 rounds,but for quite awhile,the final word in self defense handguns was a single action revolver. I think the MOST important thing is being skilled with whatever weapon you carry and of course proper maintenance so that you can be sure it will do its job if the time ever comes.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 06:26:57 PM »
I would not feel comfortable carrying a Single Action revolver for personal protection. But I do carry them for hunting.

For the application described, I prefer the Double Action revolver, in any clime and place. Why? clearing procedures on a DA revolver is one handed: pull the trigger again. You can get them in .357mag, which gives you lots of loading options. Many are much more mechanically rugged than many semi-autos, and you can get them in snubby form for concealability.

If I had a reasonable suspicion that I would be confronted by a large group of armed opponents, I'd skip the semi-auto pistol and grab a carbine with hi-cap mags.

If I had a reasonable suspicion that I would be confronted by a large group of armed opponents,Id skip the fight. If I couldn't,that would mean that they were coming to me and that's a whole different game involving sandbags and something with a scope.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 06:29:32 PM »
And probably aiming stakes and forward observers.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 09:52:06 PM »
And probably aiming stakes and forward observers.  Larry

Time to grab my Mosin and turn the front yard into Stalingrad.   ;D

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 12:37:03 AM »
Single actions are to slow.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 01:50:56 AM »
Rifle Man:  it has been demonstrated that it takes a man armed with a knife 1.5 seconds to cross a distance of 10' and strike twice, fatally.  It takes a trained gun handler 1.5 seconds to draw and fire two rounds (da revolver as I recall), hence the Thurston (sp?) defense of using a gun against a knife.

It has also been shown that carrying the hammer down on a 1911 or P-35 style pistol takes about 2-3 seconds to draw, cock and fire 2 rounds.  I can only assume it would take one hell of a lot longer to do the same with a single action revolver.  We are not all Clint Eastwoods, and fanning a single action revolver for speed is said to be about the most inaccurate and ineffective use of a handgun short of using it as a bludgeon. 

That said, I'm sure there are experts in fast single action draw and fire but I'm not one of them which is why I prefer either a 1911 or P-35 style carried (chambered) cocked and locked or a da/sa snubnose in my pocket with my hand on it.  HTH.

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 05:31:52 AM »
One other thing to think about is the fact that the bad guy or guys will probably have a semi auto of some type. In a situation where you would need multiple follow up shots and the need to reload you would be putting yourself at a serious disadvantage in not having at least a DA revolver. This is real life and not the movies ;D This is your life on the line and maybe a family member.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 05:55:09 AM »
How many would feel comfortable carrying a single action revolver for personal
protection? Which would you trust most of the time as far as dependability is
concerned...single action or semi-auto? Please elaborate on your answers.

Most kindly,
Rifle Man 
The single action would be serviceable right up to the first reload in a fight . If one only looks at history they would see the evolution of the fighting handgun from single shot to single action revolver to double action revolver to single action self loader to double/single action auto loader to DAO auto loader .
 Thre DA revolver and all the auto loaders would work in a good brand .
I like a DA revolver and single action auto loader for personal security as first choice but any are better than none. The man with a single shot revolver might use different tatics than the auto man . In a fight its run whay ya brung !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline RIFLE MAN

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 07:59:19 AM »
Friends:
Perhaps this can be considered: many if not most gunfights (according
to what I remember reading several years ago), are relatively close
range and as a general rule only a few shots are fired. So, it may be
the case that the man carrying a single action revolver that he knows
well and shoots effectively may actually have the advantage. Why?
Perhaps the guy with the semi-auto would depend on the number of
rounds at his disposal and sacrifice accuracy rather than making the
first few shots count. There is something about the "underdog" that
makes him cautious and determined to make an impending gun fight
short but effective. Perhaps this does not make sense, but maybe,
just maybe there is substantial validity to this reasoning. I would
like to read your perspective about this.

Thanks for your ongoing input,
Rifle Man
"Smile, Shake a hand, and be a friend."

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 08:28:01 AM »
In a low light ( as most seem to take place) close up shoot out i would rather have a DA revolver or SA auto. Why ? because thumb cocking a SA could be slower . You may be fighting off the attacker with your other hand. Also you may have to shoot with your weak hand if you are injured . The auto may be good depending on rounds needed to stop the attack. Either can be tied up if you shoot while the muzzle is in contact with attacker , auto can be out of battry if it has pressure on the muzzle and both can be tied up from STUFF comming back into the action at the shot . The DA revolver may over come this better.The one quality the DA revolver has over the auto is its ablity to fire from inside a pocket where the auto with more ammo can't but once in most cases .

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 03:27:46 PM »
Rifle Man:  C'mon man.  If you're going into a fray or expect getting into one you do not want to start off as a underdog counting on possibilities.  No firearm is foolproof and ammo is the same; one or the other or both can malfunction at the same and worst possible time regardless of revolver or semi-auto, and in a encounter against heavier firepower regardless of the accuracy of placement, you do not want to start off as the underdog, you need to be the top dog to survive.

Stay the hell away if you cannot go into the encounter with equal or superior force.  Don't count on the particular bullet you are shooting, don't expect one hit to completely disable a opponent and do not expect it to deter any of his buddies who may be around.  So, if you start with only 5, unless you carry your SA revolver with 6, you are at a serious disadvantage after your first shot.  Go in heavy if you are going to go in or stay away.  

Gun manufacturers make all sorts of small lightweight multi-round powerhouses that would be a much better choice of handguns than a SA revolver, and my personal favorites are a 1911 or P-35 with a couple of extra mags; this is for handguns.  Battle rifles are a different story.  jmtcw.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 06:37:07 PM »

That said, I'm sure there are experts in fast single action draw and fire but I'm not one of them which is why I prefer either a 1911 or P-35 style carried (chambered) cocked and locked or a da/sa snubnose in my pocket with my hand on it.  HTH.

I think that about sums it up. Its not that single action revolvers are slow. Its that they take a great deal of training to be able to use effectively,but there were and are those who can do it. Furthermore,if you had that amount of time and effort invested into using something else more modern,you would probably still be better off. Still,in most cases,I think (and this of course is my uninformed opinion) that six shots is going to be more than you need so reloading wont be an issue. Speed of firing aimed repeat shots however certainly would be a disadvantage of a SA revolver. I think the auto wins hands down here,you can pretty much fire it as fast as you want,the REAL limit of course being how fast you can bring it back on target. (In other words,if your really stupid,you can just squeeze pull yank the trigger as fast and hard as you can,probably while holding the gun sideways and as high as your arm can reach)

I personally think the MOST important thing is getting lots of practice,the more realistic the better. Im of the opinion that a man with a 22LR revolver who does everything right is going to be better off than the man with a 3000 dollar custom semi-auto,who does everything wrong.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 02:36:02 AM »
The one thing about round count is that most people always state FBI figures that claim MOST fights last less than 6 rounds . How does one know he won't be in one of the fights that didn't fall into the most side ?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 09:46:42 AM »
Exactly!

Offline pneuby

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 02:45:16 PM »
To address your question, I would give up the reliability and power advantage of a single- action revolver for most any auto pistol. Single-actions are fine for wilderness carry against critter attacts. There's no reason you souldn't be carrying a DA revolver for personal protection on the street.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 12:30:36 PM »
Single action offer safety whe riding a hores somewhat like a folding knife .

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 12:43:21 PM »
???
An empty chamber is an empty chamber.
If you ride with an empty chamber under the hammer of a single action or double action revolver or carry the auto in condition 3 to the same effect.
But most Doule action revolvers (modern ones) and the double action autos have a disconnect from the hammer and need to have the trigger pulled for the gun to go off.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 02:36:22 AM »
???
An empty chamber is an empty chamber.
If you ride with an empty chamber under the hammer of a single action or double action revolver or carry the auto in condition 3 to the same effect.
But most Doule action revolvers (modern ones) and the double action autos have a disconnect from the hammer and need to have the trigger pulled for the gun to go off.

and taking a spill in brush or running thru. it in a wild azz fashion or a tangle with other equipment could cause a trigger to get pulled . A single action even a Ruger with 6 in would be safer . Remember a double action places another round in line when trigger is pulled . Keep in mind also the 1911 has all the safties because it was for calvery use  ;)

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 12:16:20 PM »
I answered your question on the SA forum, with my reasons, so I'll only add here that I shoot maybe half a box of shells in a Semi-Auto a year, maybe half to a full box in a DA, and, in a normal year, 200 to 500 rds in SA's. Mu first shot is always faster on target with a SA than any DA or Semi-Auto simply because that's what I have in my hand part of every day. Either dry fireing in the house, or live fireing outside.
What time I do have to practice I chose to use on my shooting sprot, and that involves SA's.

I will never be able to compete at the top of my sport, age and health have insured that, but I do chose to give myself every advantage I can, and though it most certianly might not be a wise choice for most, for me, a SA is the BEST choice.

For the average person that only shoots their cary gun a few times a year, A simple DA revolver is a much better choice, or a Semi-Auto if they take the time to learn to use it.

I have to use what practise time I have to my best advantage, and I do.

Greeenriver
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 01:22:14 PM »
I really can't think of a reason to have a SA except if to belong to a club.
Now, a SA Buntline makes a good club.
There is a reason SA fell from grace when the Colt Lightning was produced.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 02:49:22 AM »
Given those two choices, I would probably choose the SA revolver.  The only semi auto I have eperience with is a S&W M3913 and while I find it a reliable piece, I prefer larger cartridges when I carry a firearm.  Yes, I know S&W, Colts, and a host of other companies make semi autos in 40 caliber and larger, but I am not familiar with them.  I am familiar with revolvers and if the two style of firearms were laid in front of me and I was given for choice, I would take a SA revolver.  

If left to my own devices I would carry the same piece I have carried for nearly 40 years, a 4" N Frame chambered for the 45 ACP.

williamlayton, the Lightning and the Thunderers did not replace the Model P, they were offered as replacements but found to be to delicate and then discontinued from production.  A lot of hand fitting went into the production of those DA Colts, enough so that interchangability of parts is practically nonexiastant.  They were "popular" because they were percieved to be smaller in size and perhaps faster.  Reality proved perception to be wrong. 
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 03:32:24 AM »
Given those two choices, I would probably choose the SA revolver.  The only semi auto I have eperience with is a S&W M3913 and while I find it a reliable piece, I prefer larger cartridges when I carry a firearm.  Yes, I know S&W, Colts, and a host of other companies make semi autos in 40 caliber and larger, but I am not familiar with them.  I am familiar with revolvers and if the two style of firearms were laid in front of me and I was given for choice, I would take a SA revolver.  

If left to my own devices I would carry the same piece I have carried for nearly 40 years, a 4" N Frame chambered for the 45 ACP.

williamlayton, the Lightning and the Thunderers did not replace the Model P, they were offered as replacements but found to be to delicate and then discontinued from production.  A lot of hand fitting went into the production of those DA Colts, enough so that interchangability of parts is practically nonexiastant.  They were "popular" because they were percieved to be smaller in size and perhaps faster.  Reality proved perception to be wrong. 

then also the S&W DA revolvers came on the market with other brands .

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 04:04:34 PM »
Good arguement here Shootall.
The first were as you argue---however---if the concept was flawed why do the still make them? I will stand by my original thought---the DA was the beginning of the end for the SA in terms of being more desirable and quicker.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 02:26:27 AM »
I was pointing out that the first Colt DA's may have been week but many new and improved models followed . I have read where many old West law men carried the DA colt in a shoulder rig  . It was faster . The same is going on with rifles as we see the AR and other similar rifles becomming accepted in the hunting fields . With hand guns its still changing with wonder 9's , better materials - read that lighter weapons and more accurate . Like that old general said about showing up firstest with the mostest and winning . The guy with the light weigh high-cap auto starts shooting first and the guy with the 6 shot SA revolver may just feel under gunned . The good guy always has to play catch up , he has to be attacked to respond .