Author Topic: Cut hammer spur to clear scope *pics*  (Read 590 times)

Offline StevenK11

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Cut hammer spur to clear scope *pics*
« on: July 15, 2010, 05:51:54 AM »
Took a shot at cutting down the spur on my H&R Buffalo Classic.  The hammer spur now clears the scope bell and allows me to use medium weaver rings.   I used a dremel tool to do the job, and put some blueing on the steel spur after polishing it up.

Weaver 2.5-7x 32mm mounted low.  Sights perfectly now with cheek on the stock.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Cut hammer spur to clear scope *pics*
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 05:59:17 AM »
Nice work and great pics, check out the FAQs low profile hammer mods, part 1 and 2, lots of ways to skin a cat, it sure would be nice if H&R would take a hint and make the hammer low from the get go, I sent pics of modified hammers and old style hammers to H&R about 2yrs ago, and it was presented to the engineers and R&D, still no change.  ::)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline StevenK11

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 06:17:03 AM »
I used the standard scope rail for the H&R, which included the hammer spur extension.  Unfortunately, the extension was too chunky in size to install and clear the scope.  I tried grinding it, but ended up with nothing usable afterwards.

What I'd like to do, per ideas from the FAQ, is drill a hole and mount an extension; instead of bolting something on.  Haven't seen one yet that I can buy to do this.  For now, my thumb clears enough to pull the hammer back as is.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 06:36:46 AM »
You can thin the shoulders of the hammer so the extension sits lower, or just take a little off the extension in the right places to allow it to fit lower, I use a small reinforced cutoff disc in the dremel, one that's been worn down to about ½" or smaller, then it's easier to work on the extension.  ;) But the bulkiness of the factory extension prevents it from being mounted too low due to interference with the barrel release, then you have to remove material from the back edge of it for clearance.....or mount the extension on the left side.....if it isn't one thing, it's something else!! :-\

A 6-32 or 8-32 socket head screw with an aluminum spacer will make a nice screw in extension.  ;)

Tim

Offline StevenK11

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 07:43:54 AM »

A 6-32 or 8-32 socket head screw with an aluminum spacer will make a nice screw in extension.  ;)

Tim

I like that idea.  I have spacers and may give that a try.   When I said "nothing usable afterwards", it meant that I had ground that clamp-on extension down until it was a worthless piece of metal.    :o  ;D

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 08:26:16 AM »
I use the Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32 in med. rings without modifying anything.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
The Nikon will mount in low rings with a simple hammer bob.  ;)

Tim