Author Topic: BRASS CASE STUCK IN RESIZING DIE  (Read 1040 times)

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
BRASS CASE STUCK IN RESIZING DIE
« on: July 15, 2010, 10:25:14 AM »
I been reloading for 40 + years never had a case get stuck man let me say a pain in the butt trying to get it out.I had a case that was primed (no powder) I forgot to resize.I lubed it (not enough) and it got caught.I have seen the tap that pulls a case out of the die but I never think I would need it.I would say every bit of 45 min: to remove the stuck case.I tried everything nothing worked.I went to the last resort I hacked sawed the belt off and use a drill bit in the press to thin out the brass wall:I then took a small screw driver and split the case of the die wall.I did have a helping hand to Kroil oil man this stuff really works.
I will make sure it will not happen again

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
Re: BRASS CASE STUCK IN RESIZING DIE
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 11:18:45 AM »
The best method is prevention here.

The one time I got one stuck, I ended up so frustrated, I threw the die in the cornfield.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:54:54 PM »
Take the die out of the press with the stuck case and toss it in the freezer for a few hours ?
found elsewhere

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 01:47:16 PM »
Rick,

Sometimes Murphy gets ya, you just can't avoid it!! I got a set of Hornady dies for the new 6x45 Handi last week, got all set to resize a batch of 223 brass, I sprayed the entire batch with Hornady One Shot, as I was adjusting the die down to get a proper fit in the chamber, I'd size a case, wipe the lube off, try it in the chamber, first one didn't quite chamber all the way, so I lubed the case with Imperial, adjusted the die down just a tad, wiped the case and tried it in the chamber again, still not quite there, I THOUGHT I lubed the case again with Imperial (but I apparently didn't) when I ran the round up into the die, it went up harder than normal, so I stopped.... thinking...hoping...just in time...that it wasn't too late,  tried to back it out, nope, notta, it's stuck good, pulls the rim off. Whata way to start off reloading for a new rifle. :-\ Removed the die, drilled and tapped the primer pocket 10-32, Kroiled the case/die from top and bottom, put it back in the press, stuck a 10-32 bolt in it and used a pair vice grips on it and tapped on the vice grip with a small hammer, no go. Stuck it in the freezer a while and tried it again, came right out, alls well that ends well.  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 02:55:50 PM »
lonewolf, drill and tap like quick said. Put die back in press from the bottom. Put a socket over the top with a washer that a 10-32 bolt will go thru and screw the bolt down till the case comes loose from the die. This is basicly the same thing as a stuck case removal kit is. HTH.

Gun Runner

Offline Dezynco

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 04:48:30 PM »
I recently got a 223 case stuck while forming 300 Wisper brass.  I used my stuck case remover with lots of penetrating oil - stripped out the threaded brass case.  I scounged up a thread tap a little bit bigger and tried with a larger bolt - stripped out the threads again!  Now I was left with basically nothing to grab onto with a thread tap......so I drilled it out as thin as I dared without damaging the die, then....

.... finally ended up taking a small punch and grinding a chisel point onto it and chiseling the brass out of the die by collapsing it down on one side. Threaded the die into the press upside down to hold it in place while I pounded the hell out of it!   Fortunately reloading dies are made from some very hard metal and no harm was done!  Took a good 2 hours to get the dang thing out, but at the point I was, I had nothing to loose!

Offline fastchicken

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 05:09:56 PM »
I had been handloading for all of about three days when I got my first [and so far only, after over 1k rounds] stuck case, I pulled the rim off on the down stroke. Those cheap Lee dies made it easy to remove the stuck case. Loosen the collet, hammer and a drift punch to remove the case and used a Dremel tool to cut the head off the case and pull the pin out.

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 05:20:47 PM »

The one time I got one stuck, I ended up so frustrated, I threw the die in the cornfield.

That reminds me of the time I found this perfectly good resizing die in a corn field. Case came right out..... ;-)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 05:33:34 PM »
 ;D :D :D ;D
found elsewhere

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 05:39:07 PM »
My 22-250 FL sizing die now resides in a Allied Waste Landfill.  I was trying to resize some primed brass (decapping pin removed from the die)when I put one in minus the lube.  Had the bright idea of tapping out the brass with the decapping pin.
  Bad idea, it wedged in the case mouth where it still resides under a few hundred tons of garbage.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 01:08:19 AM »
Take the die out of the press with the stuck case and toss it in the freezer for a few hours ?
I will remember that  ;D

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 03:27:00 AM »

That reminds me of the time I found this perfectly good resizing die in a corn field. Case came right out..... ;-)

Head back to that cornfield and see if you can find a cold chisel with a piece of thumb on it.....