Author Topic: I think I've developed a flinch.  (Read 860 times)

Offline AlbanyCO

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
I think I've developed a flinch.
« on: July 15, 2010, 06:52:21 PM »
There I said it. Over the past year, I've been using a 12 gauge barrel on my Encore. Between sighting it in for deer with slugs, and then re-sighting it in with 3 inch turkey loads I think I'm flinching. I was shooting my 209x50 barrel today and I know I pulled some shots. What is the best way to get over this? The 209x50 doesn't kick nearly as hard as the 12 gauge barrel so that's a start. I also think the rifle could benefit greatly from a trigger job. The trigger I can have worked on....myself however.... :-[
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. -George S. Patton

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
Re: I think I've developed a flinch.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 02:27:08 AM »
You've taken the most important step, admitting that your subconscious brain is telling you to stop hurting yourself. The next step if I was you would be to quit shooting the combination until you pull the trigger on a gobbler. Get some of the lightest 12 ga loads you can find if you need to practice, If they are still making you jerk the trigger, find a friend that reloads to make you some super light loads. My uncle used to load 7/8 or 3/4 oz in 12 ga. I think he used millet bird seed as a filler.

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 04:50:42 AM »
i think i would drop down to a 20 ga.  for deer and turkey.  maybe practice with a .22 to get past the flinch but just knowing you have it is the biggest part.
                      rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 08:22:17 AM »
My advice would include about ten thousand rounds of dry firing, without a single round of live ammo. Get your gourd wrapped up in the idea of trigger control not pain avoidance. Shooting should become dry firing with noise, instead of pain with noise. You should be so sick and tired of that action that dry firing makes you want to watch Oprah reruns. Go to the range shoot a round out of the shotgun, then pick up a .22 and practice with that. Once a gun is physically sighted in it shoudn't matter if you shoot it a bunch or a similar one.

Trigger control at home, sight picture and alignment at the range ... with a .22.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 04:13:39 PM »
+1 on the dry fire.  I used to do it at lunch every day and I was a much better shot then.

Offline LabRat2k3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 04:54:52 PM »
the best thing I ever did to improve my shooting was get a good .22 and put lots of rounds down range while concentrating on the fundemintals. I have worked alot on my focus, breathing and trigger control and cut my groups in half with my deer rifle.

Offline AlbanyCO

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 12:31:06 PM »
That all sounds like good advice. I am going to get some snap caps so I won't damage the encore and mix in some .22 practice as well. Ill let you guys know how I make out.
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. -George S. Patton

Offline RMulhern

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 12:24:18 PM »
Play 'Ball & Dummy' and after you get tired of making an ass of yourself....you'll break the habit!! ::) ::)

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 12:57:04 PM »
Remember it costs the same amount to pull the trigger whether you hit your target or not.  The pounding on the shoulder, recoil on the wrist or the hit to the pocket book.  Concentrate on squeezing the trigger not pulling it.  Also take a friend with you to the range and have them load your weapon or not load the weapon and hand it to you to shoot.  It will make you concentrate because you won't know if it is loaded or not.  When you pull the trigger with an empty gun you will see how bad you flinch.  Concentration is the key ;)

When load testing a heavy kicker use a past recoil pad or a clean diaper if you have a friend with small kids...both work great ;D

Good luck,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 01:03:41 PM »
I started wearin a helmet and it stopped my flinch after about three weeks. Now when my wife raises her right arm, I don't flinch. The Doc says my PTSD is gettin better too. Of course I still have to wear the helmet when I'm around her. ;D
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline DennisB

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 05:45:24 PM »
I started wearin a helmet and it stopped my flinch after about three weeks. Now when my wife raises her right arm, I don't flinch. The Doc says my PTSD is gettin better too. Of course I still have to wear the helmet when I'm around her. ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D
Dennis In Ft Worth

Offline boondocker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 03:19:57 AM »
I also agree with dry firing and light loads to practice. I am teaching my grand kids with light loads.
I also say when you have a deer or turkey in your sights the flinch never crosses your mind, but buck fever is a different critter.
Now as far as my wife, when I am heading out the door I have practice not flinching like I didn't hear her say something to me.
 Wearing hearing aids also help for an excuse lol.  ;)