Author Topic: Need 308 brass recommendation  (Read 420 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Need 308 brass recommendation
« on: July 16, 2010, 06:03:38 AM »
I'm getting back on the 308 bandwagon.  I found a super deal on a savage precision carbine and now I need to get some brass to reload.  I'm going to use the rifle 99% of the time at the range for long range, but it's likely this gun could go hunting at some point too.  I want to keep all of my brass from the same manufacturer and I already have some remington brass, but not very much.  I'm thinking of buying some processed/de-crimped mil surplus lake city brass, but I don't know if that's going to hurt my accuracy.

What brass do you recommend?  Is there a brand of brass to stay away from?

If nothing else, I may end up just buying a bunch of factory ammo to break the gun in and keep the brass.

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
Re: Need 308 brass recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 06:53:25 AM »
I don't think that there is anything wrong with either Lake City or Remington brass.  I've probably used both more than any other brands.  I'm too cheap to buy Lapua or any of the other "premium" types, and don't know many other people who do (other than bench rest guys).

Offline wncchester

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 06:55:51 AM »
Unless you are a highly skilled marksman AND an excellant hand loader it won't make any difference for a long time.  

All of our common brands are quite good.  The differences are small so which is "better" is largely due to which side you want to split hairs.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 11:25:31 AM »
I'd buy the factory stuff for break in and then use that for my reloads. I'm kinda funny about keeping my brass together with it's original box mates. That way I can keep up with times loaded and trims. Remington makes good brass, but ya gotta understand that they all let a bad batch slip out occasssionally. I reckon I've had problems with about all of them at one time or the other.

I'd not spend the extra bucks for match grade brass, but that's my opinion...

HWD

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 11:28:43 AM »
I try to use Remington brass only but I will use other brands if they are free or cheap.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline PawPaw

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 12:02:13 PM »
Back during the great ammo problem of the last presidential election, I needed some .308 brass and all that was available was Hornady Match brass.  It's good brass.

I also use Winchester and Remington brass, with good results.

Offline chutesnreloads

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 04:51:09 PM »
Have a 10FP in .308.Bought up some Winchester brass that I found at good price.With the groups this rifle shoots I can't see the more expensive brass getting them any tighter.Yours ought to be at least close to as accurate.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 08:54:33 PM »
I appreciate all the help guys, but unfortunately for me the deal fell through at the last minute so now I don't really need the brass.  I'll still have my eye out for either a savage 10fp, precision carbine, or remington sps tactical in 308.  Something about a nice heavy short barrel makes me think it'd be great for the field and range.

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 04:22:15 PM »
Teddy My SPS Tac is very much at home in the field or on the range.
I use Federal brass for my 308 reloads the reason for this is I have found that Federal's Gold Medal Match ammo is great to use for a accuracy  baseline. So I wind up with lots of Federal brass. I recommend that you start by finding a factory load that your rifle likes and then use that brass for your reloads. This way you have a factory load you know you can count on if you find your self out of reloads and you have a supply of already fire formed brass to build your reloads on.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Happy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 08:14:31 PM »
So when I was thinking of buying a 308 W , I started collecting brass , Getting stock here and there when ever a deal . When the rifle shows up at least you have something to start to load .
Well the 308 came and after a few years  gone , but kept adding to the brass .
Now it is a turn for the 338 F . I like the round , and again there is brass to start to load from .
It is "shopping" rather than needing to buy everything at once .Just kinda Know what direction you wanting to go as things then start to collect fast .