Author Topic: Pyrodex  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Forestclimber

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
Pyrodex
« on: July 17, 2010, 02:32:21 AM »
Does anyone still use Pyrodex?
What kind of non-blackpowder propellants work best in traditional sidelock muzzleloaders?
I only use blackpowder, but sadly there may be  a day when it is unavailable.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Pyrodex
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 02:35:09 AM »
I would say that all of them will work for you with the exception of Blackhorn, which can only be used in certain in lines.  There is a bit of difference in the various brands, so load work up is necessary.  I personally prefer the Pyrodex in my side locks, but thats just me.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 12:12:40 PM »
They ain't gonna stop makein BP yet,,
But I use Triple 7 almost exclusivley.
found elsewhere

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 12:22:14 PM »
I have always used Pyrodex RS in my side lock guns.  May be better substitutes out there now, but it has always worked well for me with both RB and conical loads.  In my flint gun, I use RS in the main load, and BP pan powder in the pan, as I believe it ignites a little easier the Pyrodex.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 12:50:55 PM »
FWIW, while the actual manufacture of Holy Black may not stop, there sure are many jurisdictions enacting laws (or trying to) that make it's distribution & sale, if not possession, illegal - or, failing that, slapping so many expensive permit costs on, so as to make it financially impossible.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 01:32:24 PM »
I buy Pyrodex and 777 really cheap at Walmart at the end of hunting season.  They work fine in caplock guns.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Semisane

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 12:22:27 PM »
I buy myself a case of GOEX each year for Christmas, so that's what I shoot mostly.  But I've never had problems with Pyrodex, Triple Seven or Jim Shockey's Gold in any of my sidelocks.
CLICK ON ME: .
Link to... highchairstands@cox.net

Offline Huntsman1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 06:47:16 PM »
In my sidelocks I use "blackpowder" either Goex or Graf & Sons. In my Encore 209x50 I use Pyrodex Select FFG.

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 09:47:30 AM »
I got my first Muzzleloader in 1985, I have shot more P pyrodex than anything else over the years in my traditions .32's and.50, also in my Thompson's and the one CVA I had..If it ain't broke I ain't gonna fix it..though I do have a can of 3f black a sittin on the shelf..
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline nw_hunter

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 10:21:48 AM »
Does anyone still use Pyrodex?
What kind of non-blackpowder propellants work best in traditional sidelock muzzleloaders?
I only use blackpowder, but sadly there may be  a day when it is unavailable.

Pyro has worked in all my sidelocks, but Black 3f just works better.
If I use Pyro, I use the P. "Two reasons" Noticeable faster ignition time, and like 3f, more bang for the buck. About 10% less powder to do the same job, in most rifles.

If you can find it, try KIK Black. I cannot tell the diff in performance to the Goex, and it's cheaper.I see most have it on back order, so I guess it's getting harder to come by.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 05:50:54 PM »
I was mostly shooting Pyrodex last few, but experimented with Shockey's Gold (least accurate) and now 777.  I'm loading cartridges also, so I'm attempting, may not succeed, to find one which does both well.  I just loaded my first sets of 777 colt and .45-70's so we'll see if it pulls to the forefront.  I definitely prefer Shockey's for cleaning thus far and you don't get such a rotten egg smell.  The pyrodex is pretty accurate, but you really need to clean it pretty quickly after a range or hunting day.  I had a lot less speed needed with the Shockey's.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 01:51:58 AM »
 I have used Pryrodex in the past with no problems, in-line & sidelock. I do rate 777 above both Pryrodex and Shockey's Gold, in energy at least. I now use only B-209 in my in-line. I even gave away an unopened 777 to a relative a while back.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 06:30:37 AM »
Black powder is hard to find in my area so I have been using pyrodex select for a number of years. I use it in both rifles and C&B revolvers. I save my black powder for the flinter. I haven't experienced anything that would indicate that it is more or less corrosive than BP. I have been using Hoppe's BP solvent to clean with. 

Offline JBlk

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 02:41:34 AM »
I have harvested alot of deer with pyrodex P in my fifties with a round ball.I have also used it in my 54 flint with seven grains of black powder under the main charge.Alot of users report that pyrodex is very corrosive, much more than black powder, but if that is true I have never experienced that problem.I have tried some of the others, but I always come back to the pyrodex.

Offline bckskin2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 11:05:07 AM »
I got some FFG black from Gaf for my CVA. Next time I may try some substitute just because shipping is so expensive. I can by the 777 locally. I have also seen some stuff called American. If Pyro is that corrosive I might try it for smoke bombs to kill pocket gophers in the pasture.

Offline DennyRoark

• A Real Regular
    • The Ohio Outdoorsman
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 12:37:14 PM »
I've used Pyro RS exclusively for over 25 years.  Never had a problem with it...if it ain't broke, don't fix it, for me.  Don't let it sit in a barrel long, tho;  clean as soon as you are done for the day.
Denny Roark
Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
The Second Amendment...the one that makes all the others possible
I have no problems with vegetarians...I eat them regularly-Ted Nugent
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline bckskin2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 06:06:15 AM »
Strange question, but what are the advantage to the replacement over BP except it's easier to find and you don't have to pay big shipping charge to order by mail? Black is claimed to be less corrosive

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 09:55:13 AM »
That claim is false and based on bad science.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 06:38:19 AM »
All of the BP substitutes work, kinda sorta, more or less. The thing I keep hearing is "I can't get blackpowder around here". That just ain't so, you can get blackpowder anywhere in the U.S. You just have to order it. The $25.00 HazMat fee does add to the shipping cost but if you order at least 5 pounds the cost per pound works out to about the same as Pyrodex at your retail store and a lot cheaper than some of the subs or any of the pellets.
I just checked Graf's online site. Their retail price (glad I don't pay retail) for comparison to your gun store prices, is $13.99 per pound for Graf's brand which is at least as good as Goex, maybe better.
Five pounds with HazMat fee works out to $18.99 per pound.
Ten pounds with HazMat is $16.49 per pound and 25 pounds is $14.99 per pound
You can mix your order, say one pound of 3f, one pound of 4f, and three pounds of 2f, whatevery you like.
There may be better prices out there, Graf's was just the first place I looked. How long will it take you to burn up 5, 10 or 25 pounds? Not as long as you may imagine if you are at all serious about your shooting. I can burn 25 pounds of black nearly as quick one pound of Bullseye, thinking 3 grains of Bullseye vs 50-100 grains of black per shot.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline DennyRoark

• A Real Regular
    • The Ohio Outdoorsman
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 03:11:54 PM »
When I switched to Pyro years ago, it was the only sub around.  I switched because I was shooting a lot of competition and was able to get more shots off on the line before needing a complete cleaning.  Was lucky to get 5 or 6 with black, around 15 with pyro.  Just never went back.....
Denny Roark
Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
The Second Amendment...the one that makes all the others possible
I have no problems with vegetarians...I eat them regularly-Ted Nugent
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline bckskin2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 02:34:04 AM »
Once I use up my supply of PB I might get some just to try it. Doesn't seem to be a clear winner. Still hope they don't stop selling the real stuff.

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 05:29:52 PM »
That claim is false and based on bad science.
i agree real black is in my opinion is easer to clean up than the subs. and i dont think is as corrosive as some subs.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 06:12:02 PM »
All of the BP substitutes work, kinda sorta, more or less. The thing I keep hearing is "I can't get blackpowder around here". That just ain't so, you can get blackpowder anywhere in the U.S. You just have to order it. The $25.00 HazMat fee does add to the shipping cost but if you order at least 5 pounds the cost per pound works out to about the same as Pyrodex at your retail store and a lot cheaper than some of the subs or any of the pellets.
I just checked Graf's online site. Their retail price (glad I don't pay retail) for comparison to your gun store prices, is $13.99 per pound for Graf's brand which is at least as good as Goex, maybe better.
Five pounds with HazMat fee works out to $18.99 per pound.
Ten pounds with HazMat is $16.49 per pound and 25 pounds is $14.99 per pound
You can mix your order, say one pound of 3f, one pound of 4f, and three pounds of 2f, whatevery you like.
There may be better prices out there, Graf's was just the first place I looked. How long will it take you to burn up 5, 10 or 25 pounds? Not as long as you may imagine if you are at all serious about your shooting. I can burn 25 pounds of black nearly as quick one pound of Bullseye, thinking 3 grains of Bullseye vs 50-100 grains of black per shot.

My problem with this is I usually don't have enough budget to buy it this way.  Maybe if there were 4 others in my area wanting it to go in on 25 lbs, but that eats up my shooting budget too quick.  I want to be able to purchase locally otherwise.  8(
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline bckskin2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 02:10:06 AM »
I can still get the Regular Pyro @ a chain store cheaper by lbs than I can order BP unless I go with the big quantities. I just don't have the time to shoot enough to use. I still have the bulk of a can of Unique I bought in 2004! Hope it's still good. If I use up my supply of 2F BP I'll try a can of Pyro if I can find a end of deer season special. If I don't like it I'l make smoke bombs out of it.