Author Topic: reloading equitment  (Read 1310 times)

Offline wind drift

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
reloading equitment
« on: July 17, 2010, 04:51:32 PM »
Want to know what kind of press and dies work the best and not to tuff to use i want to keep it simple but at the same time get good quality reloads thanks for the help.I will manily be reloading for my 223,308, and 25/06.THANKS

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: reloading equitment
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:06:26 AM »
I suggest you read the "definitive beginner thread" and other threads at the top of this forum. But I think you'll find that most of the reloading equipment commonly available, Hornady, RCBS, Lee, Redding, Lyman will all do a good job for you.  You'll have to decide how much you want to spend. For new equipment, Lee is often the least expensive, Redding is one of the higher cost brands (and really good) others are in the middle.

If you shop for used stuff you can find deals some times. But beware, I thought a got a good deal on some dies that turned out to look ok but were improperly made. By the time I tried them it was too late to go back to the seller and they were old enough that the maker didn't want to replace them. Some companies back their stuff up better than others. I think RCBS has a reputation for backing up their stuff very well.

Get a good powder scale - I'd buy new, and like Hornady's version - not a place to scrimp in my opinion.

Read and shop and have fun. You might want to consider a kit to get started with all the main pieces needed.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 01:28:42 AM »
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 08:04:03 AM »
Want to know what kind of press and dies work the best and not to tuff to use i want to keep it simple but at the same time get good quality reloads thanks for the help.I will manily be reloading for my 223,308, and 25/06.THANKS

For starting loaders I say get a single stage press , it makes you do the steps one at a time so you learn what is needed to do each step .

Get your hands on atleast one good manual , better yet two , read them and then read them again , mind you , there are tons of very useful info on the internet too , just make sure it is reliable ( not just some web site ) .

Handloading is truly Rocket Seince , solid propellent used to lanch a projectial  ;D :D ;D :D that being said , " ITS NOT THAT HARD TO DO " just follow the rules and have fun .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:04:26 AM »
Check the reloading presses and powder measures on Ebay.  There are some good deals.  I would consider buying carbide pistol dies used but I would not buy used rifle dies or a powder scale.

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 11:43:29 AM »
I would suggest you get a Lyman manual and read the how to part of it several times. I have not been at this all that long and that book has been my best friend getting started. If you run into a snag from time to time these guys here will steer you right.
 Have me several times. Just believe what it says where it says NEVER Exceed on the power charge.
                                  Beerbelly

Offline wncchester

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 03:24:39 PM »
"Want to know what kind of press and dies work the best ..."

Well, would you believe it's a Ford-Chevy-Dodge truck thing?   What I prefer isn't what my neighbor prefers and you may not prefer what either of us prefer.  Meaning, it mostly personal preferences  but fact is they all work just fine.   Most folks prefer whatever they started with.   Most of those who prefer something else just screwed up at first and now perfer what they finally got it right on!

Presses are simple devices, no secrets to making them and all makers do a good job.  I have five presses of three brands and wide price ranges, each was chosen for specific purposes, not by what is "best" because that isn't a definate thing at all.

Choose your's by how much you expect to load over the rest of your life.  If you will be a low volume shooter, say less than two-three hundred rounds a year or if you aren't sure, any current press will do nicely.  If you expect to load much more, say up to several hundreds of rounds a year any cast iron single stage press will work great for two lifetimes of heavy use.  If you expect to shoot more than a couple thousand rounds a year you might want to consider a progressive press.

Dies are dies.   I now own some three dozen die sets from all makers, have owned more but sold them.  I've never found any average effective difference in function due to brand between any of them. Ammo is made on the inside and they are all made to the same (SAAMI) standards.  External appearances vary greatly by price, pay what you are willing to pay for the amount of pretty you want to own.

I used to buy some items on eBay but quit.  For the last few years it seems most used things go for as much as new retail, sometimes more, especially after you pay the shipping.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline flashhole

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 04:09:05 PM »
I find the dies you select make more of a difference than the press, especially the seat die.  I like the sliding sleeve design that captures the bullet and the brass and keeps good axial alignment of the two.  This keeps runout to a minimum.  Forster Benchrest Dies are a good deal.  Redding and Hornady copied the Forster design and work well too.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 06:53:46 PM »
wncchester sumed it up pretty good.  40 years ago or so I bought a lyman reloading manual and still use it----but it educated me on the how to do it, very well. I have other manuals now--but still like the lyman--and it isn't all that different from the one they sell now, at least for the calibers I reload for.  It still has the how to information in the front of it too.

My nephew got into reloading this past winter--he is hooked--bad. He loves it--his wife told me that she didn't know it was going to be so expensive--I told her--"It is only as expensive as you want to make it--but you have to get started first--and that is where the real expense is."

Good luck

cybin

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 04:43:10 PM »
Not meaning to offend anyone, but speaking from considerable experience, I suggest you buy the RCBS Rockchucker and RCBS or Redding dies. Maybe a bit more money, but for reloading you are looking at a lifetime investment. I have been reloading since about 1962 and almost all of my dies are one of the above except for Dillon or Vickerman. The Lyman manual is a good start and I have them going back to 1958. I really like Sierra and Nosler manuals a lot and feel they are the most accurate and well done. Buy several, you will enjoy them all.

Good luck and good shooting.

Ken

Offline dickttx

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 02:41:51 PM »
You can never have too many manuals.  Keep in mind that if it is a Sierra manual, it will only cover Sierra bullets, if it is a Winchester it will only cover Winchester bullets, powders, primers, etc., therefore they may not cover your preferred components.  Some of the old manuals are from third parties like P.O. Ackley and others.

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 02:51:51 PM »
As previously stated all the major manufacturers make good equipment with the possible exception of the lowest priced Lee equipment. However RCBS sets the standard in customer support. I would go with RCBS just for their outstanding support. My favorite dies are the Redding dies.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 04:43:39 PM »
I agree that the RCBS' customer support and "free" parts is pretty good but it sure ain't "free."  We pay for it  up front if we ever need it or not.   And precious few of us ever bend or break our tools anyway so when we buy green stuff we are paying for those who do. 

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 04:58:23 PM »
As previously stated all the major manufacturers make good equipment with the possible exception of the lowest priced Lee equipment. However RCBS sets the standard in customer support. I would go with RCBS just for their outstanding support. My favorite dies are the Redding dies.

I've never had anything but stellar Lee support either.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 05:18:17 PM »
+1 to Lee support.  They've even fixed my screwups for free, not only no questions, but no shipping charges, and I told them I was the one who caused the problem.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline pmang

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 05:54:30 PM »
Here we go again with the Lee is junk and so and so is better....

I am gonna go get some popcorn and sit back and see where this one ends up!

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 06:38:49 PM »
The reason Lee has good support is the same reason Chevy has OnStar...... BECAUSE THEY NEED IT!!!!!

I really don't care about the Lee arguement. I have never used Lee stuff.   ;)
I just like using that line and thought I'd entertain the guy with the popcorn.   ;D
Not to mention taking a shot at the Chevy popups.   ::)
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 01:44:46 AM »
I would suggest you stick with rcbs and hornady. They both make great products and stand behind them. Only exception to this is pistol dies. I actually prefer lee handgun dies to any other.
blue lives matter

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 04:13:20 AM »
They are all good, some are just better than others. I have found that most will last a lifetime if treated properly.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 07:06:03 AM »
yes a life time i use my dads old press a lyman and hi powder measure a redding 1962 i think my son will too
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline wncchester

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 11:50:11 AM »
"I would suggest you stick with rcbs and hornady. They both make great products and stand behind them."

Lloyd, that suggests you know of some maker(s) that don't make great products and stand behind them.  Current alternatives are Lyman, Redding, Forster and Lee.   As far as I have experienced, for a very long time, they all make excellant tools.  And, from what I've seen and heard, they all stand behind any reasonable and some unreasonable problems.  So I wonder who you might be refering to?

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 12:41:24 PM »
I have a mixture of all, but use a Lee O press for my main one.  Have a Lee cast iron in the corner if this one gives up.  This is kinda like the argument about mechanics tools, some guys only want Snap-on, other Mac, still others Matco, and some of us that have done it professionally for years, should I venture to say.....craftsman.  I have a set of impact sockets, imported that I have used 20yrs, paid $40 for the set.  The Snap-on equivalent was around $300.  I think I got the best deal.

I like RCBS, but I love Lee for the price and innovation.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline southernutah

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 02:23:31 PM »
I find the dies you select make more of a difference than the press, especially the seat die.  I like the sliding sleeve design that captures the bullet and the brass and keeps good axial alignment of the two.  This keeps runout to a minimum.  Forster Benchrest Dies are a good deal.  Redding and Hornady copied the Forster design and work well too.

I bought Forster seaters for my rifle calibers,

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 02:34:25 AM »
out of all of them Ive had fantastic luck with customer service from all buy lyman. I wont buy another new lyman product. Lee customer service is hit and miss but for the most part good. Rcbs and hornady and redding will stand behind anything a 100 percent.
"I would suggest you stick with rcbs and hornady. They both make great products and stand behind them."

Lloyd, that suggests you know of some maker(s) that don't make great products and stand behind them.  Current alternatives are Lyman, Redding, Forster and Lee.   As far as I have experienced, for a very long time, they all make excellant tools.  And, from what I've seen and heard, they all stand behind any reasonable and some unreasonable problems.  So I wonder who you might be refering to?
blue lives matter

Offline wncchester

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 04:35:00 AM »
I started loading in '65 with a Lyman six station turret press, M-5 (Ohaus) scale and two sets of dies (+ a Redding powder measure).  Still have it all, and more, but haven't needed any Lyman (or Redding) customer service support yet so I can't say anything about that.   Later added more stuff, a lot of it, and from many different makers.   Some features are different by brand but I just don't find a lot of difference between the average performance of any brands.

Eventually I stored my head up my rectal canal and bent a RCBS die decapping rod.  Called 'em and soon got a new rod, postpaid, nice!  Then I had a sizer die body to rust in storage during a move.  Called RCBS to buy just the die body.  The nice lady told me they didn't replace rusty dies (which I had not asked for) and they didn't sell die bodies seperately, but she could sell me a complete set (at full "retail" price).  Said no thanks, I'd just buy them locally; did too, Lee.  Only meaning RCBS isn't quite what they are often presented as being.

I've never needed help or parts for any of my Hornady stuff.  

Seems if I keep my head out where I can see with both eyes I won't mess up very many of my tools!    ;)

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 06:12:51 AM »
I have the Lee four hole turret press. If I had it to do over I would go with something else. The plastic parts that make the thing index don't last long. I have replaced them two times already and they are bad again. I am indexing by hand. Had they made those parts of say brass it would hold up. But the plastic is junk!
                         Beerbelly