Author Topic: 243 data different in 2 manuals? help!  (Read 537 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
243 data different in 2 manuals? help!
« on: July 17, 2010, 05:42:42 PM »
hornady book says 45 gr. (imr 7828) is max load for 100 gr.  bullet.  lee says 47 gr. is max and lists pressure for it at 47900 cup. now with other loads for 100 gr. bullets reaching 52000 cup, i don't get hornadys data, and wonder if lee made a mistake? aby help?

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
Re: 243 data different in 2 manuals? help!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 06:10:38 PM »
IMR's on-line data shows max for a Speer 100g BTSP is 46.0gr, compressed, of IMR 7828 and produces 51,100 CUP pressure.  I'd guess the Lee load stops before it becomes compressed - some don't like to publish compressed load data.  You can see IMR (and Hodgdon and Winchester) powder load data online at http://data.hodgdon.com

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline fastchicken

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 09:33:51 PM »
I can't speak for the powder you're using, but I found that with the powders I'm using, one book's minimum was another book's maximum. But 2 other books used the higher charge, so I went with the 3 out of 4.

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 03:50:43 AM »
That is the reason that they give START loads. No two weapons are the same. What might shoot with no problem in one will be over pressure in another. Start low and work up to find accuracy and pressure signs in your own rifle. By the way I don't think you could get enough IMR 7828 in a 243 case to be over pressure. That stuff is slooooooooow burning, just a notch above charcoal.

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 04:08:50 AM »
First, take a look at other cartridges and you will quickly see the differences aren't limited to .243.  Books vary and that creates confusion.  Having more than one manual is not the aid many "old hands" seem to think, especially so for noobs; we too quickly forget how confusing it all was at first.

Then, as Shot 1 suggests, your rifle is different from their's and their's are different from each others.   If we all used the same firearm we would all get the same results.  Whatever their pressure level may have been during their tests yours won't be the same as either of theirs.

Pick your book of choice and follow it.  "Start low, only move toward max unless or until...." etc.  The way we develop a load is much more important than what any book lists for a max charge.  There is little point in starting low if we are blindly going up to max anyway.  Yeah, book data is USUALLY safe but not always; those who proclaim loading books are "lawyered up" are wrong.  I know one guy who got blown primers - WAY HOT! - by starting with book mid-range charges of Varget in a brand new Winchester M70 rifle.  

Knowing what we're doing and paying attention to what's happening is the ONLY way to stay safe.  No book, or ton of books, even if they come from the specific powder or bullet makers, nor any "Pet Load" source, can take us by the hand and carry us to that end.  Noobs can't possibly know all they need to know about pressure signs so staying conservative until they learn is the only intelligent way to go.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 05:23:04 PM »
 You can also consider the differences in that '100 grain bullet'. I bet we are talking different bullets also, which is another variable. I look over several manuals, think about what I'm trying to do, & go from there.
NRA, Veteran

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 08:22:27 AM »
The explanation I've "heard", was that different bullets cause different pressures, thus the reason behind different book listings.
Now whether that's for real or not, I don't know...

HWD

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 08:45:53 AM »
hornady book says 45 gr. (imr 7828) is max load for 100 gr.  bullet.  lee says 47 gr. is max and lists pressure for it at 47900 cup. now with other loads for 100 gr. bullets reaching 52000 cup, i don't get hornadys data, and wonder if lee made a mistake? aby help?

I only trust http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp since they are the powder manufacture.

Start at the minimum and work slowly to maximum until you reach the best accuracy not maximum velocity.  Don’t barrow someone else’s pet loads, they might be unsafe and not worth the risk.  Also don’t fall into the speed hype, accuracy kills, speed doesn’t.

Quite honestly you can’t stuff enough IMR-7828 to cause high pressure in the 243 Winchester, truly isn’t enough room.

yooper77