Author Topic: Rejection!!!!!  (Read 1307 times)

Offline mauser98us

• Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
Rejection!!!!!
« on: July 18, 2010, 06:57:31 AM »
Found out yesterday in the Arizona draw for deer, I drew a big fat zero. That's three for three this year. As a life long resident of ths state,{53 years} This has been the first time I am not going hunting for either elk,pronghorn or deer. In the past one could always be pretty assured that at least you would get a deer tag. I think a muzzleloader may be in order.Over the counter tags for that,and the mulies are in the rut during that longer time frame season.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • The Daily Limit
Re: Rejection!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:06:05 PM »
In 53 years how many quality elk tags have you drawn?

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 06:37:39 PM »
Every one Arizona has a high quality elk population. Even the cows taken have been goodies.  Arizona has many record book elk taken over the years.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 06:41:31 PM »
So how many bull tags have you drawn?  I have heard horror stories about AZ residents only getting to hunt once a decade... Just wondering what your experience has been?

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 02:33:08 PM »
Seems like about every three to four years on bulls.  Cow tags are a lot easier to get .  The horror stories are probably pretty close to true for some. Some get drawn every year,some seem like never. About a decade or so ago, they started this preference point system. You get drawn, the following year you drop down to the bottom of the barrel and the next guy with more points gets drawn. In typical government bureaucratise, the system does not work at all. Nothing Gov't touches works like they said it would.On the other hand I would say this to out of staters, try other state that would be friendly to non resident permits. It's dog eat dog here.

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 06:05:31 PM »
So how many bull tags have you drawn?  I have heard horror stories about AZ residents only getting to hunt once a decade... Just wondering what your experience has been?

You could allways drive north to Utah. I got leftover elk and deer tags the day the went on sale. (didnt have a license here when the draw happened,so I figured I was SOL) I know the deer sold out quick but I think there are still elk available. I struck out completely on the antler-less draw though.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 06:53:15 PM »
I feel for you.
I drew the same 0 on my deer tags for montana.
Adding insult to injury, my buddy drew a combo tag for deer and elk and I am going with him.
if he scores then I can go bird hunting a day or two.

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 07:03:21 PM »
I got skunked in AZ too. No elk or deer tag this year for me. I have had 2 bull elk tags in the last 20 years. I have had 7 cow tags in the same time frame. I have not drawn an elk tag at all in the last 3-4 years. It is getting even worse it seems lately, and it's always been tough to draw. I know guys that haven't been drawn for elk in 15 years. It's also very, very critical as to which areas you put in for. You have a better chance of winning the AZ lottery than to get some of the "trophy" area tags in this state.

I'm going to try for one of the leftover tags for deer this year. It looks like most of the leftovers are in lesser desirable areas.

I did draw a deer tag last year. All I saw were does, and I did shoot a nice bobcat.

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 06:50:01 AM »
Problem is, all the leftover tags are pretty much along the border. One has to leave a person or two in camp or the illegals help themselves to your sustenance and water. Sometimes they even vandalize the camp. This happened to us about 20 years ago. Things have only gotten worse in that area since. Plus all the drug running. I'll think I will pass on that area. Tis a shame, it's a good area too.

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 01:51:36 PM »
You're right about the leftover tags. I was down in 34B a few years ago (3 years I think). We didn't see any illegals. We saw lots of Border Patrol agents, quite a few hunters, and absolutely NO deer, rabbits, quail, birds of any kind, or any game at all. Not even a stringy old jackrabbit. Only talked to one hunter while gassing up in Sonoita on our way out, that even saw a doe. And he said he saw her standing next to the highway when they drove in on Thursday morning.

We only heard one shot all weekend, and we found out (from talking to the guy that fired the shot) that was from a guy that saw a coyote (4-legged one) from far off and took a shot at it.

There was no grass, and no deer sign or tracks anywhere. There was a TON of cows, cow tracks and cow patties everywhere however.

I'm not really in a hurry to go back to that area again.

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 02:46:29 PM »
Tis a shame. Used to be a Hunter's paradise down that way. Just too much activity for critters in that area.

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 07:17:05 PM »
Friend of mine lives in Sonoita. The cartels from mexico are using that area as a major distribution point for all the illicit drugs coming up from Mexico. He also has lots of illegals traveling his property by night. He set up some motion detectors to keep them away from the house. he also leaves items for emergency use staioned around different parts of the house for easy access. It's a hell of a way to live.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 01:55:34 AM »
Go muzzle loader, you won't regret it.

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 06:15:48 AM »
Yes I know. I have fought that urge for years. Looks like I might have to. The muzzleloader season is very generous,and in the desert,it takes place during the rut.

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
One of the leftover tags I put in for was for muzzleloader deer. I haven't hunted muzzleloader in close to 30 years. I still have an older TC caplock gun, a blackmountain magnum. My first "hunting" muzzleloader was an early TC hawkins 54 cal. I got my first bull elk with that gun when I was stationed in New Mexico in 1986.

I think if I get drawn for the leftover muzzleloader deer season, I'll go out and get one of those "newfangled" guns. Been looking real hard at the Savage 10 MLBSS-II, or maybe a TC encore.

My eyesight isn't what it used to be, and it was never great. I think I'm going to need a scope'd rifle for muzzleloader now.

Offline Blue Duck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 04:15:26 AM »
I was lucky this year and drew an antelope tag in Idaho this year.  I have been pretty lucky at it over the years and draw one better then 50 percent of the time. 

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 04:50:24 PM »
Double rejection!!

I just got my application returned for the leftover deer tags.

Looks like I'm sitting this year out.

Maybe I'll buy a bear tag.

Or I might just get ticked off enough to pay way too much for a NM landowner elk tag! Will have to see how "angry" my wallet will let me get.

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 06:49:34 PM »
I think I will be doing a lot of quail hunting this year.

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 11:59:41 AM »
Holy cow!

I just got a turkey tag in the mail last night!

I can't believe it.

Now what?

I haven't hunted turkey's in 30 years... I have my 11-87 premier that'll shoot 3", somewhere I have an extra full choke, and I'm pretty sure I have some 3" duplex turkey loads somewhere... I seriously doubt I have any turkey calls left. Never was any good with a diaphram. Spit a few out on the ground, and gave up on them. Do they still sell stick and plate calls? What else works for turkey?

I'll be in Unit 7 the first week of Oct.

Still in shock...

;D

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 02:12:23 PM »
Seen a lot of turkeys in 7 west esp near Red Mountain. I killed my pronghorn in that area.  Good Luck