Author Topic: New guy, new project  (Read 2905 times)

Offline projector

• Trade Count: (0)
New guy, new project
« on: July 19, 2010, 03:13:25 AM »
Hello all, this is a my first post as a new member.  I was told of this site by Irishman who I ordered a barrell from last week.  I will be building my first cannon as a 60th birthday present for a family member and, if all goes well, I'll eventually build one for myself.  Thanks to Irishman for all his help and information. 

The project is a ships cannon built arround the Brooks 7.5" howitzer barrel.  I did a lot of online looking arround and studied Double D's SAMCC project, which Irishman sent me the link.  I scaled his carriage drawings down to fit my smaller barrel and built this mock up to familiar to the scale.  It is much smaller than expected but I like it.  The materials are .5" PVC board and 1.25" pipe.

I'd post pictures but can't figure out how.  I've uploaded the attachments but am missing something on how to get them into the thread.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline projector

Re: New guy, new project
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 03:21:52 AM »
Okay now I'm really confused.  The pics don't show in the preview but do after I submitted the post.

Anyway, once the barrel comes in I'll check in on my mock up and tune the carriage proportions before building the real one.  The plan to make the carriage out of teak with an oiled finish.  I'll figure out my level of hardware detail as I get into it.  My shop is set up for woodworking but not metal.  Here's more pics, one with a teak frame as a material reference and the other to give it scale.  Sorry for not having a black powder can, I had to use what was readily available.  I look forward to your comments.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 05:19:57 AM »
Welcome aboard, Projector!
I think your carriage design looks fine, but whichever way you choose to elevate the barrel, (with a screw or quoin/wooden wedge) I would suggest lengthening the carriage, so the rear axle is approximately under the breech end of the barrel.

ETA: Your pics came through loud and clear.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 06:33:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum! You will really like it here, great bunch of guys, and some of them even have the support of their better halves! Stay tuned for lots of info, pics, review the many pages of postings, and above all, keep the safety factor foremost in your mind! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 11:16:03 AM »
Looking good!

The reason you don't see the pictures is that you are only attaching them to the post.  That's one way.

To display them in a post you need them posted on a photo hosting sight.  Folks here are GBOCannons all have a free photohosting site to use at https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/join.php.  Just go there and sign up. 

You will have to format your picture using your personal photo software so they are no larger than 500K, to up load.  Once uploaded you only have to copy the BB code shown under the picture and paste it in the reply window.  It is preformatted so you don't have to do anything else.

If you use any other photohost you can use their pre formatted BBcode.  You can also use a url from a photohost site.  If you do that just highlight the url and click on the icon above the reply window and the url will be highlighted.

Offline projector

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 02:58:46 AM »
Thanks for the replys.  I figured out the pics.  The barrel was delivered yesterday and my guessing on the size worked out for me.  It fits quite nicely.

I think my next step is to review the detail the mechanism to elevate the barrel in the back.  I doubt the cannon will be used for more than a noise maker so this would only be for looks.  I like the sliding wedge. 

Also I'm looking at the carriage proportions.  I found this image on line and like the shape.  I'm going to scale it to fit and see how it looks.

Other thoughts are proper wheel size and material, how to build the trunion straps/blocks, and then eventually a case and firing platform. 

Any advise on these would be appreciated.

Joe

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 04:06:45 AM »
Joe,
Some ship carriages have the front wheel a little larger diameter than the rear wheel.  It angles the carriage and gives it a rakish, wicked look. 8)
Buliding a carriage.  What great fun! ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline projector

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 04:54:18 AM »
So far it has been great fun.  I was planning on larger and different sized wheels like in the drawing above.  What's on the mock up is from the only hole saw available at the time. 

Question:  Has anyone considered stacking pieces of wood for the carriage sides instead of using one piece like the original cannons?  Double D's yellow cannon has them in 2 pieces and I think the detail line does a lot for how it looks.  It also might make it easier to finish the inside corners before the pieces are glued together.  Then there is a question of whether it would be strong enough to be fired without coming apart.

thoughts?

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 05:01:53 AM »
So far it has been great fun.  I was planning on larger and different sized wheels like in the drawing above.  What's on the mock up is from the only hole saw available at the time. 

Question:  Has anyone considered stacking pieces of wood for the carriage sides instead of using one piece like the original cannons?  Double D's yellow cannon has them in 2 pieces and I think the detail line does a lot for how it looks.  It also might make it easier to finish the inside corners before the pieces are glued together.  Then there is a question of whether it would be strong enough to be fired without coming apart.

thoughts?

Originals were not necessarily one piece.  They were certainly stacked also.
These are stacked.  Bolts going vertically through them held them together.
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline projector

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 05:36:19 AM »

[/quote]

Holy crap, that's cool!

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 07:15:14 AM »
It's a non-shooter.  I cast the barrel out of concrete. :D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline projector

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 09:57:58 AM »
That is one fine pool-side ornament!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 10:22:13 AM »
Zulu

Which means, that you MADE your own mould for the barrel?  Have we seen pix of the mould? 
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 11:08:52 AM »
Zulu

Which means, that you MADE your own mould for the barrel?  Have we seen pix of the mould? 

Yes you have seen it before in a post.  Here it is.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,190056.0.html
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 12:31:18 PM »
projector -  WELCOME to the board!  It is always a pleasure to see the development of new cannons by new folks - there is something new and different each time.

Zulu -  THANKS for the link!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline projector

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 10:10:44 AM »
Last night I did the majority of the wood cutting.  I decided not to make the carriage sides from 5 individual pieces and went with 2.  More than that was looking like to much of a hassle and the wood grain is tight enough to get that "horizontal graphic" in the sides.  I still need to cut the arc in the sides and front, the wedge for the back and the wheels but otherwise it's pretty close.

This weekend I going to the local marine surplus store, hardware store, hobby shop and gun shop for particulars.  With any luck it should be finished next week.

Does anyone have photos or ideas on a storage case/crate for these? 

Offline Double D

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 10:44:20 AM »
This is the only storage case I am aware of for these.

;D

Offline projector

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 11:06:34 AM »
But where do you store that?

Offline Double D

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 03:35:53 PM »
But where do you store that?

Out back at your dock, with the rest of the fleet... you do have a dock, don't you?  ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 03:50:05 PM »
And a fleet , right ?
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline projector

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 02:26:38 AM »
My fleet consists of a 13 Whaler and a couple of kayaks; with a crew of my better half, a border terrier and a yellow lab.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 12:34:31 PM »
Last night I did the majority of the wood cutting.  I decided not to make the carriage sides from 5 individual pieces and went with 2.  More than that was looking like to much of a hassle and the wood grain is tight enough to get that "horizontal graphic" in the sides.  I still need to cut the arc in the sides and front, the wedge for the back and the wheels but otherwise it's pretty close.

This weekend I going to the local marine surplus store, hardware store, hobby shop and gun shop for particulars.  With any luck it should be finished next week.

Does anyone have photos or ideas on a storage case/crate for these? 

projector,
Here is a link to the woodworking forum where I posted pictures of a couple of ammunition chests I made.  What ever you make for your cannon, it has to be cool. 8)  Its a rule. ;)
Zulu

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,204408.0.html
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2010, 05:26:40 AM »
Well that looks real nice !  ;) nice lines .

You have hours of fun with that cracker gun . @8 gr fff one nice craker loaded in butt down with the fuse folded along the side ..... pop ,Bang !
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline projector

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 09:54:38 AM »
I've debated back and forth on how the box should be treated, same material and craftsmanship as the carriage or more like a shipping crate (like a Winchester box).  Thinking that the cannon will be displayed, the box can be more crate-like but with nicer joinery.  I'd like it to hold the cannon, a can of powder, fuse, ramrod, cleaners etc.  Everything would have a place.  I also considered the lid be removable and become a fireing platform.

I had so-so luck looking for hardware.  I'm going to attempt to make my own 6-32 brass square nuts unless someone knows of a source.  These and a brass rod with threaded ends will hold the pieces together. 

I'm planning to make the trunion caps out of 1/16" brass, hopefully forming them like double D described.  Will brass hold up to the cannons force?

thanks

Offline Double D

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 10:21:23 AM »
Brass will work as long as they are tight.

I like you idea about the shooting platform-carrying case.

Offline projector

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 11:25:35 AM »
Brass will work as long as they are tight.

I like you idea about the shooting platform-carrying case.

How big/heavy does a shooting platform need to be?

Offline Double D

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 02:12:14 PM »

How big/heavy does a shooting platform need to be?

The flip answer is big enough for the purpose it is intended, but its also the right answer. 

Here is some platforms used by the folks at SAMCC.

The SAMCC platform needs to be solid and raise the cannon up high enough for you to sight down the top of the barrel at the targets.

The Dom Dictator needs a good solid base.

A noise maker doesn't need a platform.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2010, 01:09:24 PM »
Regarding your carriage, on most carriages of that style there is a transom above the front axle that gives it stability against racking and a horizontal member that bumps against the side of the ship just over the front axle which also prevents racking in the horizontal plane.  The image below shows the bumper but not the transom which is in line with the cross bolt below the trunnion.

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
A custom made carring case . That would be cool , and to doubble as a shooting platform . Well thats a Great idea if the wheels come off easy then have them back on either side single trail .

Then put it together and shoot right off the top .

Gary 

Offline Double D

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 05:02:56 PM »
Regarding your carriage, on most carriages of that style there is a transom above the front axle that gives it stability against racking and a horizontal member that bumps against the side of the ship just over the front axle which also prevents racking in the horizontal plane.  The image below shows the bumper but not the transom which is in line with the cross bolt below the trunnion.

G,

He's copying the SAMCC carriage, no bumper.  I see the holes for the transom.