Author Topic: New guy, new project  (Read 2904 times)

Offline projector

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New guy, new project
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 02:27:05 AM »
He's copying the SAMCC carriage, no bumper.  I see the holes for the transom.

I have the transom cut but i doesn't show in any of the pics.  I can see how it would add considerable structure. 
No updated pics yet but I got our machinist at work to turn the axle ends for me and fit a brass tube over them for the wheels to ride on.  He's also going to set up a trunion cap maker/tool/thingy.  It's nice having an on-site machinist.  I'll be returning the favor by woodworking when he's ready to build his own cannon.

I was hoping to glue it up last night but I didn't get to it.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2010, 04:10:32 AM »
FWIW the SAMCC is not glued and is fully bolted together.

Offline projector

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 02:39:03 AM »
FWIW the SAMCC is not glued and is fully bolted together.
Well is certainly is a challenge glueing up something so small and with so many little parts.

Offline projector

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 09:05:15 AM »
I removed the clamps during lunch and loosely assembled it.  The trunion caps need to be trimmed and drilled and the rear leveller pieces need to be installed.  I could use some opinions on a hardware delima.  Finding hardware in the right scale, look and material has been a challenge.  #6 seems to be the appropriate scale for the carriage.  Then there is wether everything should be brass or should I add some stainless details.  I kind of like the stainless details, I found some ss allen head cap screws that seem appropriate.  In the photos you'll see an assortment of hardware for reference.  One shows brass nuts on top and the other stainless nuts.  So far I can't find a small enough ring for the breech line, what's shown is a stainless split ring.

Here's the "money shot"

The transom came out nice.  The small screws in the sides were to help hold it together while setting up the clamps.  These will be replace with through-bolts, screws or a continuous rod.  I have brass cotterpins to hold the wheels on and I'm debating on finish washers to mimic wheel hubs.  Notice the wheels are made of 2 layers with opposing wood grain.

thanks

Offline Double D

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2010, 11:11:33 AM »
Lots of different schemes for the holding the wheels on.

The wheels on the SAMCC gun where pinned on with a piece of  "L" shaped brass rod.

You can see the the axles at one time there were some hubs onthe axle, but they are long gone.

On the actual Victory gun the were pinned.

I just made over sized hubs and pressed them on to hold the wheels.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 11:25:48 AM »
Projector: "So far I can't find a small enough ring for the breech line, what's shown is a stainless split ring."

Any hobby store that carries supplies for homemade jewelry makers will have the small size rings you're looking for; they're called jump rings.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline projector

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2010, 02:50:16 AM »
Well she's mostly finished, I did the final assembly last night. 

I made brass pins to hold the wheels on, they're just pressed in...at a jaunty angle of course.  I went through several scenerios on the jump rings, different thicknesses and diameters.  What shown is a split ring that I will relace with a brass jump ring that I'll make tonight.  I'll also dissassemble the crate, sand everything and glue/screw it back together.

Now for the fun part.  I fired it last night and OMG does she speak!   I did a couple of test fires alone at my shop to get a feel for it, then took it home and fired it a few times in a neighbor's driveway with an audience.  Nothing like a tightly packed charge to impress your friends!  We leave Friday for our trip where I'll deliver it as a gift.

Thanks again for every ones help.

Offline Double D

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2010, 04:50:12 AM »
Looking good!!!

What color ar you going to paint it?

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2010, 05:08:01 AM »
Looking good!!!

What color ar you going to paint it?

Don't paint it. ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2010, 05:46:09 AM »
Well she's mostly finished, I did the final assembly last night. 

I made brass pins to hold the wheels on, they're just pressed in...at a jaunty angle of course.  I went through several scenerios on the jump rings, different thicknesses and diameters.  What shown is a split ring that I will relace with a brass jump ring that I'll make tonight.  I'll also dissassemble the crate, sand everything and glue/screw it back together.

Now for the fun part.  I fired it last night and OMG does she speak!   I did a couple of test fires alone at my shop to get a feel for it, then took it home and fired it a few times in a neighbor's driveway with an audience.  Nothing like a tightly packed charge to impress your friends!  We leave Friday for our trip where I'll deliver it as a gift.

Thanks again for every ones help.

It is Great to refer a new member/barrel owner to GBO. I think that the enthusiasm the "projector" displayed here tells us how he got his name...PROJECTor.

Beautiful job and a great guy to work with!

Michael

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2010, 08:25:41 AM »
You did a fine job on the carriage, Projector.

FYI: 'Jump' rings is a jewelry term, not an artillery term.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline projector

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2010, 08:58:17 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I've had a lot of fun with this and am looking forward to building one for myself.  With what I've learned It should go quickly enough.

I don't think paint will stick to teak, not to mention the sacrilege part of it.

Offline projector

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2010, 08:59:42 AM »
You did a fine job on the carriage, Projector.

FYI: 'Jump' rings is a jewelry term, not an artillery term.

Thanks, both are new to me.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2010, 09:05:19 AM »
Projector , that is a fine carriage , It will be a very nice gift for someone  .

I can't wait to see future projectors projects . Keep it up you are an inspiration .
Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2010, 01:04:34 PM »
Good job!  I'm also looking forward to seeing your future projects!

Offline projector

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2010, 04:29:00 AM »
Good job!  I'm also looking forward to seeing your future projects!

This one might be deceiving.  Starting a project is always more fun than finishing one, so I have a lot of in-process things arround.  Having a deadline on this helped in keeping the pace up.  This has been a fun one, small scale but challenging. 

I'll post the final final pics when we get back from our trip.

thanks again, Joe

Offline projector

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2010, 11:46:22 AM »
OK, here's the final final.  The cannon was delivered and was a huge hit.  The first firing startled everyone with it voice, then they all laughed at themselves.  It was fired about a dozen times over 2 days.  The recipiant wants to fire it every night to celebrate getting through another day.  It was a fine addition to their new water front property.

Here's the last photos with the final hardware in place, and it cleaned up and polished.

And here's a few in it's crate.

I like how the crate turned out.  It has designated places for powder, cut fuse, powder measurer, and paperwork.  The lid slides and is the fireing platform.

Thanks again for everyones hep, this has been a rewarding project.  I hope to build another for myself soon but have someother things in front of it.

thanks, Joe

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2010, 12:05:55 PM »
wow thats a beauty
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2010, 12:10:21 PM »
Awsome little package . This is the one that you shoot off the top of isnt it ?

Show us the top . What cal. is that gun ?

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2010, 01:13:35 PM »
Really nice setup!  I don't know that I would want to shoot off a platform that had a can of powder in it, but still a very nice kit!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2010, 01:58:51 PM »
Andy ..... help us , to help you  :D

When shooting the gun , more than is likey the can of powder will not be in the box .

This is because to shoot the gun on top of the box ,  8)........ well the powder  ;)...should have come out of the the box ..... ;D ;)

Sorry , I just couldnt pass up an easy box shot like that .  ;D

Gary

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2010, 03:10:39 PM »
Perhaps you're right, but I'd never advocate shooting with a can of powder sitting out either. ;)

Offline projector

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2010, 02:21:05 AM »
Awsome little package . This is the one that you shoot off the top of isnt it ?

Show us the top . What cal. is that gun ?

Gary

You can see more of the box in reply #36 at the top of this page. The wood strip on the end with the eyelets also acts as a handle to slide the lid.  I was rushed to make the delivery so I didn't get more pics.  We found ourselves loading the cannon in one area then taking it out to a clearing away from everything so the powder can wasn't near it when firing.  You could use just the lid and keep the box remote but having the little elevation off the ground was nice.

It's a 50 cal. barrel purchased from Irishman.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2010, 02:53:05 AM »
That's a good looking cannon.