Author Topic: The pop up Chey Ad  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
The pop up Chey Ad
« on: July 19, 2010, 11:50:19 AM »
I'm sorry there is nothing I can do about the Chevy pop up add.  For details about it got to http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,211730.0.html and put in your two bits!

Offline Double D

Re: The pop up Chey Ad
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 11:52:09 AM »
If like me you use screen resolution of 800x600 then yes the close button is off the screen to the right so ya can't close it. We will work on that and see if it's possible to better center it. Any higher numbers for screen resolution above 800x600 it should be centered and the close button should show.

It appears to me that any given member should not see the ad more than perhaps 4 or 5 times per day. I saw it about that yesterday and then it never came back up. Today I've seen it a total of four times and don't expect to see it again.

That is both a good and a bad thing of course. It's good in that you shouldn't see it very much but bad in that we're not likely to get the revenue we were kinda sorta promised.

Now for workarounds for those of us who can't close it I suggest you try this. Since you shouldn't see it more than 4-5 times daily just refresh the screen and it will go away and you'll still be where you were to read. You can of course as has already been suggested become a GBO Subscriber and see no ads at all. Yeah I know that means the site isn't free. Sorry but the facts of life are ya can't have your cake and eat it too.

The cost to run this site is a bunch and it all comes from my check book so I must have income to cover what I spend and for the time and effort we put in we expect a modest profit as well. In the first several years of site existence I footed the bills from my own funds and didn't even begin to approach breaking even on it until 3-4 years or so ago. I truly wish it were possible to run the site with no outside revenue but I'm retired and on a limited income and in debt such that not having the site make money is just not a reality. If I were rich you'd have to see no ads and I'd even have some annual get together at no cost to the folks who came. I'm NOT tho so this is the facts of life. Most if not all the other sites such as this one deal with this same company and get a large share of their revenue from them. This is the newest revenue producer they have introduced and it's new to them just like us and is still being tweaked to what will be the final product. We are one of the first to take advantage of it but rest assured since these ads pay at a rate of about four times what the other banners of theirs pay a whole lot more sites will be jumping on board to dispaly them as well.

If you are seeing them more than say 4 or 5 times daily I'd like to hear about it as I'm not. If ya can't put up with seeing them that few times a day then man yer picky. Truly they are obnoxious on my screen as it takes up almost a full quarter of my screen at 800x600 resolution but I see it so few times per day I can live with that. If you use a higher resolution then you can close them as soon as you wish or click them as you wish.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 12:47:28 PM »
I get some dude that looks like he works at Orange county choppers and some Bow Babe who if the clothing were .....  gone wouldnt be bad at

But to just have this chopper guy and this amazon trying to sell me somedarn thing ?

......a motorcycle I think  , and a truck ,I think it was a TOYOTA or a Datsun and some babe that wants me to goa borea hunting with her ...I mean IF I had the money I might goa borea huntin with her ......

Dont need a chopper there are way too dangerous.

I am getting them alot nearly every time I switch a page . 

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 12:57:44 PM »
I see them every time I get a new page also.  maybe 20 times so far >:(
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 01:03:01 PM »
maybe 20 times so far

Me too.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Double D

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 01:32:23 PM »
Suggest you post over on the link I made in the opening post

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 01:39:14 PM »
I was going to post a " How do I get rid of Micheal Wadell for good?
Glad to see that Government Motors is paying Greybeard for the space.
Bill are they paying you per pop up?  is that why the come up for every page or post?
But since it is Government Motors and Obama is in charge why do i think I am paying 3X what Bill is getting to see the add every time?

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 01:46:19 PM »
Yes they are paying me and at many times the normal industry rate for that ad. Still it ain't supposed to be doing what it is doing now. It will be fixed to not show so much. Here is a response I just typed to the same question on another forum here. None of the new ads are supposed to be showing more than just a few times per day per person. Even the folks paying us to display them do not want them displaying often enough to be a nuisance as that's counter productive for us all.

Yes I guess government motors meaning all of us tax payers is now paying GBO indirectly of course.

Quite honestly I dunno what's going on with them. They are NOT supposed to be doing what they are doing on my screen this afternoon. I'll speak to OSH again tomorrow about them. We have an agreement that they won't show up often enough to become a nusiance and they clearly know that if they show too often it has the opposite effect of what they are hoping it will have. To be honest I thought those were gonna show only on the Home page and that on the forums we'd only have the 728x90 banner that floats at the bottom of page which on most screen resolutions is not that obtrusive tho on my 800x600 it is a serious PITA.

Now on the pop up that is now showing this afternoon. How big is it on your screens is it just a kinda small thing or does it dominate the screen? On 800x600 that I run it is dominating the screen and I have already seen it at least a dozen times. No one is supposed to see either type more than about 3-4 times a day.

For sure I'll be discussing it with them tomorrow. Matt maybe able to do something himself. It's new to us and we're still trying to figure it out. It's also brand new to OSH who is a contractor ad seller. They buy space from GBO and hundreds of other outdoor related sites and they resell the space to big advertisers who would never deal with a smaller site like us. They provide the majority of our total income and quite frankly without them we don't make enough money to keep the site running.

Still what I'm seeing this afternoon is NOT acceptable and will be dealt with. That ad is paying us some serious bucks but we cannot allow it to be such a PITA that it runs folks off. We will deal with it. I'm not allowed to discuss the specifics of our compensation but suffice to say that particular ad pays at least five to six times as much per 1000 than any other ad they have on GBO and vastly more than our other advertisers pay us.

Bear with us a day or two. Matt just walked in and said "he thinks" that's one he can alter the frequency of display on and if so he will adjust it to a more reasonable level tonight. It's making us a bunch of bucks but we can't have it showing so often it runs folks off.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »
Thanks Bill, it is a serious PITA.  Covers 2/3 of the screen @ times.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 02:06:15 PM »
It was bad this morning , tonight , not so much . Whatever you are doing seems to be working .

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 02:10:22 PM »
Bill,
If you took what I wrote as being mad.
Sorry.
I think it is great that the site has gotten big enough that Chevy would want to advertise.  ;D
There is a little close X above the add and it will stop it.  
Small inconvience for a day or two while you and Matt iron out the glitch.
Sorry The Government lied to you about what it was going to do.  But with all the President has been saying about health care, taxes ,adn not resting till this or that is done....
Well Heath care is not what he promised, taxes are going up for everyone in one way or another, and he has played more golf than Tiger in his time in office, Has held more parties, and gone on more vacations that President GW Bush did in all 8 Years.
 ;)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 02:26:38 PM »
You don't have to be mad I'm mad enough about it for all of us. I'm sure if the folks paying us every time it pops up knew it was being displayed so often they'd be as mad as me as they don't want it doing this either. We will get it ironed out and being shown only a few times per person per day as it is supposed to.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 02:37:30 PM »
1600x900, and when the truck pops up, it covers the bottom 1/4 of my window.

It's poping up on every refresh or foray into another thread.

It would be better if it were at least a new ad each time (or at least a cycle of a few), but the same guy popping up will get annoying.  I don't have a problem with dealing with it for a while though, until the kinks are worked out.  I think the graphic needs to be smaller for those like you using 800x600, so you can at least have the option of clicking it off.  I agree that too much advertising has a negative effect, especially when it's so obtrusive.

I'm not really a fan of the bottom pop up banner either, because when I load the page and start to scroll down to look at new/updated threads, it bumps me back to the top when it pops up, though I haven't gotten that one so far since this new guy has been popping up.

Of course, I fully support whatever you have to do to keep the site operating, so long as it doesn't become a detriment to the quality of the site.

(He even popped up when I tried to post this, linking me over to Chevy's site - yeah...that's annoying... :(

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 02:51:48 PM »
It's an intrusion but relief is just a click away.  Just think...if you owned a Chevy, you couldn't get rid of it that easily ;D   Things could always be worserer ::)

rc
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 03:03:54 PM »
It's funny they had the annoying popup at the bottom of the screen yesterday and now the big pop up videos today,
I've got to ask what filters they are running at work because non of it showed this morning or late afternoon when
I was on.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 04:09:47 PM »
video ads are turned off for now... I am working on it guys....

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 05:23:50 PM »
No problem,
All new products, especally ones that generate $ have slight glitches.
We know you will get them worked out.
 ;)
Hey if it pays for the forum and is slightly annoying it is still worth it.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 06:47:09 PM »
Uh...what's all the fuss about? I haven't seen even one of these ads....either I better spend more time on here of my 'puter cut's them out ....BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Double D

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 06:59:16 PM »
Uh...what's all the fuss about? I haven't seen even one of these ads....either I better spend more time on here of my 'puter cut's them out ....BoomLover

You should have been here it was ugly--

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 01:43:44 AM »
Mostly a PITA when one tries to scroll before shutting it off.  Only worthy of mention, not winging.  It pays the bills.   ;D  Pun not intended, but accurate.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 06:38:20 AM »
There are two of the new ads. One is what they call a DASHBOARD ad. It is a 728x90 that is supposed to remain fixed at the bottom of the page as you scroll. It is not supposed to take over or do anything but just sit there. Anyone other than an 800x600 resolution user can easily click close and it will go away. If you can't see the close button then you can go to the bottom right just above the START bar and change screen size to say 75% rather than 100% and you can then close it and change back to 100%.

A little pain yes but that ad should not show more than four times per day per member unless you dump your cookie and then return. If might not recognize you as having seen it if you dump cookies on leaving. I used to do that but haven't in a good while. Today I've only seen it twice so far.

The other is what they call a Rovio and is the pop up video. Yeah it was a serious PITA yesterday but that IS NOT how it was supposed to work. Matt has it shut down completely for now. OSH is working to fix a new tag for us that is supposed to allow it to show only once per day per member. It will not be turned back on until they have the fix ready.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 06:47:11 AM »
God bless Graybeard and long may his beard curl 8)

Matt gets an ATTABOY :)

Chevy gets 4 flats ;D
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 11:11:40 AM »
I've noticed something about the dashboard ad. If it appears in a thread after you click "new", the thread will jump to the correct page but it will not scroll down to the new post.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 11:22:21 AM »
I get into the board and start scrolling down - the popup comes up and makes the page jump up and back.  What will NEW people think who try that?  Not a well designed advertizement in my book.

It leaves the impression that the board is screwed up.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 05:13:51 AM »
It hasn't done that for me so clearly not everyone sees what you are seeing Tim. In fact today when the ad came up twice I just kept on with what I was doing and ignored it. Once I made a post and once I responded to a PM. It in no way interferred with what I was doing.

I believe I saw ads at the bottom only three times today before they stopped.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2010, 08:32:58 AM »
I just tried to get to this page twice and the ad shut the page down completely. Nothing worked, including the scroll bars. Refresh did not work the first time, it did on the second try.

The header also changed, it said: #new

I just tried again in a new tab and it did the same thing. Page will not scroll.

-------

When I submitted this reply, it locked the page down again.

I'm at a loss...

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Scrolling is jerky
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2010, 08:41:11 AM »
But then maybe it's just me   ???
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2010, 08:46:56 AM »
It's not just you.

Something I forgot to mention: The computer at work is immune to the Chevy ad. It never shows at all, ever.

Don't know why.

Offline Double D

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2010, 08:51:52 AM »
Terry,

At this point, this is where we suggest you delete cookies and start over.

I had to do that the other day when the problem was reported as cured.  Once I did that. I only get the pop up twice in the morning.

Any suggestions beyond that far exceed my skills and abilities.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2010, 11:08:51 AM »
Yeah I'm about as technically competent as a rock so I'm really no help in telling ya what to do. I do know that it isn't common but clearly some folks are having a little trouble with it. Why I dunno. When the dashboard ad first went up it affected my computer a little like you mention but only for a few seconds and only the one time. It's not done any such since.

I either ignore or refresh and keep doing what I'm doing. I've not seen the pop up video since Matt turned it off when it went crazy. It is supposed to be back tamed down but so far I've not seen it.

Matt isn't able to spend much time online right now as he is kind of a one man show building a new home on my land up behind me on the hill. He has a deadline to be out of the current place and he is not sure he can meet that dead line even working at full speed ahead. Right now he can only put in a minimal amount of time when he leaves here each day and he is dead tired when he leaves each day.

Try clearing cookies to see if that fixes it. You might also want to tell us what kinda OS you are running so we can see if there is some conflict with that. What browser might also help Matt or the tech guys at OSH figure what's going on.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125