Author Topic: 410 brass reloading data  (Read 4754 times)

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
410 brass reloading data
« on: July 20, 2010, 03:51:21 AM »
I know this has probably been asked before so I looked but couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm looking for a reloading manual that has data/instructions for loading brass shot shells. Particularly 410. If you have one that does I'd like name and edition.

Thanks, Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: 410 brass reloading data
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 07:48:50 AM »
no known data that i am aware of on it but 8.5 gr lil gun works in mine
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 04:26:58 AM »
Charlie, Ballistic Products Inc. has a little info on brass shotshell loading, mainly for black powder. The July issue of "Handloader" is supposed to have an article on brass shotshell loading. I use .444 brass and load with a standard shot wad and what ever reloading data I have for 2 1/2" shells. I don't think you get as much pressure since you have no crimp to hold it and the wad fits tight only at the bottom of the shell. Good luck, JamesIII

Offline Dakoma

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 06:00:43 PM »
www.endtimesreport.com   Miles Stairs website ,I use anealed 303 British brass fireformed and will last longer than me.Handloader was 2 part June and July covering load data and components of the type brass you are useing and you might be able to find a copy at Wally World (Walmart) I use Win.wads but made a punch to cut my own also.I got with Miles several times and shared a load useing splitshot crimped on monofiliment 80 # test fishing line and he had never heard of it and posted it there on his website,he sells load book for the formed brass such as mine but gives some data but not much.My Dad taught me the fishingline trick and must be something old done years ago.Shot a Turkey with one and took his head clean off,the line kind of slices and dices and preforms well for long shots and you should weigh it out(I do) line and splitshot, the round kind not the removeable kind.should find your datta there at those 2 places,Magazine and website.

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 05:09:59 PM »
Here's a pic: Standard .410s. A Magtech brass hull and two hulls formed from .303 British brass.

Remember that standard .410 components are too small to use in Magtech hulls.
Pete

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 08:24:16 AM »

Having just obtained my first .410 I find this interesting. Has anyone ever tried .444 Marlin brass? It seems a closer fit than .303 British.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 05:21:01 AM »
Rusty,

PM me your email address and I can send you scans of the Handloader article pages.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 04:54:27 PM »

PM Sent, thanks.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 12:21:18 PM »
Rustyinfla,
The 444 marlin is a close fit but you have to watch the rim. with some firearms the 444 case will slip under the extractor and the rim may be to thick to close the action.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 05:35:56 PM »

Thanks Ricky, I'll keep an eye out for that if I ever go that route. As it is now I don't have any .444 brass. I have a box of Magtech and a box of 9.3X74R I'm going to blow out and use. I might try the .444 brass if I ever come across someone that doesn't need their brass.

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 06:38:55 PM »
Rusty,

you may want to try 303 british brass as well.  go to the section on www.endtimesreport.com for more info.

St762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 09:04:04 AM »

I saw the refrence to the .303 brass as well. That's on the todo list as well.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 03:05:58 PM »
Rusty,

you may want to try 303 british brass as well.  go to the section on www.endtimesreport.com for more info.

St762
I used their directions and had good results after doing it and adding up the costs of everything involved I'll just order magtec next time.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 03:07:07 PM »
Rusty,

St762

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 04:21:24 PM »

I've read over the end times report several times and want to do some more reading there, it looks like a good site.

If I have to buy the .303 Brit I'd just as soon buy the magtech stuff, but if I can find someone shooting it that doesn't reload it I'll ask for donations to my foundation. It's a non profit organization. It wasn't planned that way, just the way it worked out.

Offline rem700-3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 02:45:44 AM »
Im loading the magtech .410 brass with 11 grains of lil gun a 1/2 fiber wad filling the case almost full with shot (I do 6's and 9's) and then a small amount of silicone to hold it all together.  This works well for me, its a little messy with the silicone but Im getting good loads. I started with 8.5 grains and worked my way up ( as I suggest anyone else do) and 11 grains is a little more than Ive seen anyone else say that they used for this but it shoots well for me with no pressure signs.

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 09:32:41 AM »
I've been loading the Magtech brass with 13.0 grains of #2400 powder. I cut my overpowder wads from 1/8" thick leather. I can then fit 3/4 ounce of shot and close with a Styrofoam top wad secured with Elmer's glue. I bought some of the Russian slug loads which come in a zinc plated steel case. Those are Berdan primed but they can be used to cut wads of the perfect size for the brass cases. Drill out the primer pocket to 1/4" so a rod can be inserted to punch the cut wads back out. Although they are steel they are still pretty soft and I doubt they would stand being hammered into thick cardboard so I spin mine in a drill press and used that way they cut very neat wads.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 11:45:02 AM »

I've never heard of the  steel cased Russian stuff where did you git it? I was going to use a .45 acp case to cut mine.

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 04:22:10 AM »
The brand name is "Silver Bear", it is available form Sportsman's Guide, Cheaper than Dirt and most online ammo sources. They also make it in 12 gauge but only with #8 shot I believe. It's really not great ammo but the fired case does make a good wad cutter. Your .45 case will also work just fine but being so short you have to stop and punch out the cut wads after two or three and that is a bothersome process if you're spinning it in a drill press. I modified one for use in my drill press with a spring loaded "wad ejector" so that after the wad is cut it is pushed right back out and remains in it's hole in the leather strip rather than flying about.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.