Author Topic: AR15's by DEL-TON, Inc., Elizabethtown, NC  (Read 2817 times)

Offline huntfamily5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The pursuit of happiness is your responsibility
AR15's by DEL-TON, Inc., Elizabethtown, NC
« on: July 20, 2010, 10:04:15 AM »
I recently learned that DEL-TON, Inc., Elizabethtown, NC is an AR-15 manufacturer and retailer of $750 packages. 
Here is the linlk: http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifles_s/2.htm

Do any of you have any experience / reviews with or about DEL-TON AR's? 

Thanks

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
Re: AR15's by DEL-TON, Inc., Elizabethtown, NC
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:19:07 AM »
I just ordered an M4 carbine kit yesterday to build on a stripped lower receiver.  So I'll let you know whenever it comes and I get it built.  I'm figuring the total cost, less the sight, will be about $600.  I have a RRA match trigger sitting around that I'm going to put in it too.  My buddy on this project claims their stuff is pretty nice, so I hope that he is right.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:53:51 AM »
There is an article about them in one of the magazines saw it but did not have a chance to read it.. I would like to know how it turns out and how they treat you . Is all their product American made ? And GI ? I have heard some suppliers aren't so good . I built one from parts I picked up at gun shows . It was on an LAR grizzly frame . Took some adjusting to get it to shoot , At first it would pull part of the rim off a case and jam the gun . It would be nice to get an upper that slipped on and worked first time every time
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:31:14 PM »
So far so good!  I placed my order on-line Monday around lunch time.  I called on Tuesday to get an approximate delivery date.  The girl said it was "in the shop being built" and would probably be shipped Friday or early next week.  I got an email today saying it was being shipped.  So not much of a wait!  Assuming it comes by Friday, I might get a chance to put it together next week.

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 04:44:13 PM »
I have a del-ton, mid length gas block, semi heavy barrel with flip up gas block front sight.  Its a really good shooting upper.  Accuracy is good and it has funtioned perfectly.   I have a smith & wesson MP lower with RRA national match trigger.  ITs a really sweet rifle.   I have a 1-5 scope on it right now but I think I liked it with a removable carry handle  setup better,   I think an eotech and magnifer would be about perfect.

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 04:12:45 AM »
Well I got it put together yesterday.  A buddy helped me build it (mainly assemble the lower receiver) and I'm glad he did!  Many little parts etc. and the kit comes with no instructions.  If you've never done it I figure it could be very frustrating, but not totally impossible assuming you got a schematic and had some knowledge of AR's.  A set of punches and a small brass hammer are mandatory.  Everything fit and we had enough parts.

I ran a patch thru the bore and its pretty dirty.  I figure that they function fired it, and more than just a couple rounds.  So I'm going to clean the bore and try to get to the range.  It might be a few weeks though because Camp Perry is rapidly approaching and if I'm going to shoot anything I should practice some!  I'll try to post some pictures too.

Jim

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 07:03:26 AM »
I have one from Del-Ton.  Its a 20" flat-top with a M4 adjustable stock on it.  The only modification Ive made to it is adding a Timney trigger.  Since I've had it, its become my go-to gun for coyotes.  It eats the cheapest steel case Russian ammo you can find and still groups well under 1" at 100 yards.  Its accurate and reliable - like any other well-made AR.  Besides, Del-Ton gets most of their parts from DPMS/Panther anyway.  If I buy another AR, it'll either be a DPMS or Del-Ton.

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 05:39:32 AM »
I'm planning on buying one in the next week or so. Want to shoot surplus ammo in it and was wondering what works well with a 1 in 9 barrel. This will be my first AR.
Andrew

"Lost!!  Ain't never been lost. Fearsum confused for 2 or 3 months but never lost!!"

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 08:12:07 AM »
AQ - In my experience a 1-9 will do OK up to 69 Sierra MK's.  If its a 20" barrel, it might also stabilize 77 MK's.  I don't shoot any surplus stuff, so I don't really know whats available. If it has heavier bullets, just don't buy a ton until you try it out.

I took my M4 to the range last week.  I had 11 orphan brass from a lot laying around, so i loaded up some 57 gr. Hp's that I swaged from 22 brass.  The gun functioned great for all 11 shots, which was my biggest worry.  I got it on paper at 50 yds, and plan to go back when I load up some more ammo.  I just shot prone with no sling but got some decent accuracy IMO.

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 05:10:32 AM »
I got my kit and put it on a Saber Defense lower and it seems to function fine. But when I took it to the range for a shake down shoot it fired the first round and then jammed. So far I can't get the bolt to retract any at all. Can release the charge handle and move it back bout 3/8's of an inch but not the bolt. It appears to be fully engaged. Took the lower off and plan on trying a couple of things today to see what's happened. Biggest thing that worries me is there is a live round in the chamber.
Andrew

"Lost!!  Ain't never been lost. Fearsum confused for 2 or 3 months but never lost!!"

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 08:03:27 AM »
Well I got it apart with a little leverage on the bolt carrier assembly. Problem seems to be a sticky or too tight chamber. With the bolt out I dropped a round into the chamber and it stuck. Had to take a cleaning rod and tap it out from the muzzle end. Tried 5 different brands with the same results even after cleaning the chamber throughly. Thinking lapping the chamber will do the trick but will contact Del-ton before going any futher.
Andrew

Offline shvlhead.45

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 10:01:02 AM »
Andrew Quigley,

Some questions:
1.  Is barrel marked 5.56 or .223?  Don't shoot 5.56 in a barrel marked .223.

2.  Are you using .223 or 5.56 ammo? See statement above.

3.  What is twist ratio and what is the bullet weight?  If the round fits in the magazine, there shouldn't be an issue but may if chamber is not cut right.

4.  Is the chamber and barrel chrome lined?  Again if chamber not cut right...

5.  If a round is sticking in the chamber just by dropping it in the chamber w/o slamming it in with the bolt I believe you have a barrel not correctly chambered, like maybe for a .222 by accident.  If chrome plated incorrectly, tight chamber could be cause.  Barrels should be stamped in front of the gas block with caliber of barrel.

6.  I WOULD BE SERIOUSLY WORRIED ABOUT HEADSPACE ON THIS GUN.

7.  You are definitely doing the right thing by calling DEL-TON about this problem.

My brother shoots a DEL-TON, never had an isse with it.

Shvlhead.45

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 05:39:35 AM »
Should have posted this a few weeks ago. It turned out to be 2 things. First was the ammo. The ammo was some I was given and it was several different brands.  No idea what the problem with it is but Lake City would work fine but Winchester, Remington and PMC would hang up just by dropping in the chamber with no bolt closing behind it.
 I called Del-ton and talked with a very nice lady there and told her I was getting scratch marks on the brass. She had me a UPS shipping label in a couple of hours and it shipped the next day which was a Wed. They got it Friday afternoon, foumd a burr in the chamber Monday morning, fixed it, test fired anothe 20 rds of PMC thru it and shipped it that afternoon. I had it on Wed. evening. That's when I discovered the ammo problem and found I hadn't lubed the bolt. (one of my dumb moments)
 So on Sat. I went to the range with a brand new box of Remington ammo and a lubed bolt. Shot 10 rds just as fast as I pulled the trigger. Loaded another 10 and repeated. Problem solved.
 Went back the other day with a rear sight finally mounted and got it sighted in. Now I need to work on the trigger and get it to my liking. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another Del-ton.
Andrew

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 04:29:19 PM »
I've had one since last Christmas and the biggest problem I've had is getting it away from my wife when she starts shooting it. M4 16" barrel with pro mag iron peep.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun