Author Topic: 1 inch bore powder charge  (Read 1724 times)

Offline bert-nc

• Trade Count: (0)
1 inch bore powder charge
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:39:45 PM »
I have checked out the safe load chart for smaller than 2 inch bore cannon, thou it is for cannon firing a projectile.
what would be considered the max load for a 1 inch bore, 9 or 10 inch barrel, sole purpose being as a salute cannon?
Plan on a barrel, 3 1/2 diameter, 1 inch bore, 9 or 10 inches long.
Made from 1018 cold roll steel rod from speedy metals. 
I have seen some of the manufactors of cannons suggesting 400 grains for their 1 inch barrels.
all recomendations welcomed.

bert-nc

Offline robbob

Re: 1 inch bore powder charge
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 04:45:31 PM »
I usually use 250 grains of ffg for my inch bore Brooks 24 pounder. It's 3" at the breech.  I stated at around 80 grains and worked up. I don't shoot projectiles and I use  a 1" firework end cap for a wad.

Rob

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 05:29:38 PM »
I have checked out the safe load chart for smaller than 2 inch bore cannon, thou it is for cannon firing a projectile.
what would be considered the max load for a 1 inch bore, 9 or 10 inch barrel, sole purpose being as a salute cannon?
Plan on a barrel, 3 1/2 diameter, 1 inch bore, 9 or 10 inches long.
Made from 1018 cold roll steel rod from speedy metals. 
I have seen some of the manufactors of cannons suggesting 400 grains for their 1 inch barrels.
all recomendations welcomed.

bert-nc

If you made a cartridge and used Fg there is no need to exceed the maximum loads listed on the chart.

400 graind is based roughly on the oz per inch rule.  It applies to bores greater than two inches.  I have fired an oz per inch (437 grains) in my Cairo gun both pushing a projectile and blank.  My gun is made off 4140, has a 4 inch breech and 1 inch bore.  Recoil in this 65 lb gun with that load is brutal.  The gun use to end up, up side down after shooting.   It would not take long to break something  with these heavy loads.

Here is 195 gr Cannon grade and 7 oz slug. Click on picture to sees the video.

I don't need or want this kind of recoil in my gun so I have changed to a  one in round cast lead ball.  I am changing even that going to steel ball on a sabot.

Here is  the 195 grs and lead round ball.

Still a lot of recoil.

In inch and up bore it much better to use Fg powder, leave the FFG for the smaller guns.  You will get much less pressure with FG.  There is nothing gained by using FFG. 

Offline bert-nc

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 01:36:08 PM »

If you made a cartridge and used Fg there is no need to exceed the maximum loads listed on the chart.

400 graind is based roughly on the oz per inch rule.  It applies to bores greater than two inches.  I have fired an oz per inch (437 grains) in my Cairo gun both pushing a projectile and blank.  My gun is made off 4140, has a 4 inch breech and 1 inch bore.  Recoil in this 65 lb gun with that load is brutal.  The gun use to end up, up side down after shooting.   It would not take long to break something  with these heavy loads. 
I hope you are talking about breaking the carriage, and not referring to damaging the cannon.
using 1F goex bp was my intention
was thinking of leaving a 3-inch breech, would then bolt the trunnion to the breech.
similiar to the KISS method golf ball mortar you made

if the guy who is going to do the milling has no problem with the grade of metal.  would I be better off buying a steel bar of 4140 steel?
bert-nc

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 05:17:40 PM »
Yes damage the cannon.  Bending trunnions for sure. Did it.    Bursting the barrel, of a properly constructed barrel not likely, but I would never say never. Heavy loads can reduce barrel life, just like in any gun.  Of course the carriage won't stand up to the punishment very long either.