Author Topic: Where have I been?  (Read 1165 times)

Offline 45Bullet

• Trade Count: (0)
Where have I been?
« on: July 21, 2010, 12:33:02 PM »
"GEEZ" I've been building this stuff and destroying everything from old buildings to cars and about anything else that will fly apart sense the late 60's. I didn't have a clue this site existed. This is great! I feel better now knowing I'm not the only guy that loves this stuff. I sure wish I would have had this much info. when I started, things would have been much easier. Thanks for putting up a great site. I'll be watch'in with great interest.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Where have I been?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 12:36:56 PM »
45Bullet --

WELCOME to the board!  There is indeed a wealth of info here because of the folks that haunt this forum.

It's an addiction - we too would like to see what you like to shoot and see some pix of smoke and flames!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 12:39:41 PM »
Cat's right!
As much fun as it is for you to see our stuff, we have equally as much fun looking at yours.  Post some pictures of some of the stuff you have made.
Welcome! ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline 45Bullet

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 12:54:42 PM »
I'm probably a whole lot better at running a mill or lathe then figureing out how to post pictures. When I do, I will.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 01:10:32 PM »
Welcome 45 .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 02:42:48 PM »
Welcome to the board!!
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 03:06:11 PM »
Hopefully, you will have looked around the board and seen the concentration on safety amongst the members here.  So don't take anything personally if you post a design that looks unsafe to someone and he posts a reply making a safety point about it.  We don't want anyone taking an idea away from this forum that could be intrinsically hazardous to his health.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 03:13:20 PM »
Hopefully, you will have looked around the board and seen the concentration on safety amongst the members here.  So don't take anything personally if you post a design that looks unsafe to someone and he posts a reply making a safety point about it.  We don't want anyone taking an idea away from this forum that could be intrinsically hazardous to his health.

Good point.  I and a couple of others here have witnessed cannons exploding.  Enough said, be safe, have fun, consider us as partners in your addiction.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 03:23:16 AM »
I think I might be that "someone"  ;D
but I bark worse than I bite  ::)

just cant keep silent when I see something that might be unsafe to use
its too many people thats stuck in the statistics since they have been in the wrong place at the wrong time
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline 45Bullet

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 03:45:25 AM »
I'm with you guys on the safety issues. I have only one gun tube that may be under your recommended wall-thickness specs. I blind-hole gun drilled a piece of 4140 chrome-moly 5in. OD. with a 2in. bore. Wall thickness is 1.5 with a 2in. thick breech. It's been fired approx. 400 times. Standard load is 1.975 patched lead ball with 1000grs. of 1F. No blank-loads have been fired. I proofed the barrel with 1lb. of goex. FF and two patched balls then took measurements and magnufluxed. We're going to have it phlorascoped (ex-rayed) next week to check for internal stress fractures, for my own piece of mind, after reading your forums.  If a replacement tube is needed, I'll do a 6in.X34in.X2in. replacement. So far this gun is extremely accurate with no signs of fatigue, but SAFETY FIRST.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 04:31:51 AM »

SHAZAM!    I love it when someone plays the saftey card IN SPADES!!!   ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 06:34:53 AM »
I'm with you guys on the safety issues. I have only one gun tube that may be under your recommended wall-thickness specs. I blind-hole gun drilled a piece of 4140 chrome-moly 5in. OD. with a 2in. bore. Wall thickness is 1.5 with a 2in. thick breech. It's been fired approx. 400 times. Standard load is 1.975 patched lead ball with 1000grs. of 1F. No blank-loads have been fired. I proofed the barrel with 1lb. of goex. FF and two patched balls then took measurements and magnufluxed. We're going to have it phlorascoped (ex-rayed) next week to check for internal stress fractures, for my own piece of mind, after reading your forums.  If a replacement tube is needed, I'll do a 6in.X34in.X2in. replacement. So far this gun is extremely accurate with no signs of fatigue, but SAFETY FIRST.

Well lets see. Safety first.  There are  some things you should consider to increase your safety threshold.

1.5 wall in 2 in bore.  The safety guidelines we point to from AAA and N-SSA recommend 1 caliber.  It helps that you used  4140 even though it doesn't meet the quidlines.  But as you note thickness of the wall  should be one caliber.  I wouldn't change. There are other things you can do to reduce stress on the barrel.

Windage.  The rule of thumb for windage is 1/40th of bore.  2 inch bore/40 = 0.05".  2- 0.05 = 1.95".     The ball you use is 1.975".   On top of that you use a patch of unstated thickness and a lead ball.   Basically you have zero windage.  You can decrease the ball size to 1.95 leave out the patch and use zinc balls.  This will reduce pressure probably significantly.  If needed you can add a sabot to stabilize the ball in the bore. Even though this ball shoots good, you have a barrel that is not built to full safet standards and this ball will stress the gun.

Load.  Again guidelines suggest a maximum load of 2 ozs. per inch. 2 inch bore max load is 1750 grains.   Your load is 1000 grains, so you are within parameters there. You are using Fg which has a higher burn rate and generates higher pressures than Cannon grade. Use cannon grade powder to reduce the pressure and reduce stress on the barrel.

If you have access to some 6" x 34"  4140, then that should be your next gun!

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 01:15:41 PM »
I just love reading threads like this.  Make we feel all warm and tingly all over...ummm...I mean great job DD as always.  :D

Oh and DD...do you have all these threads memorized cause you sure seem to find them quick.  ;)

Offline Double D

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 03:14:27 AM »
I just love reading threads like this.  Make we feel all warm and tingly all over...ummm...I mean great job DD as always.  :D

Oh and DD...do you have all these threads memorized cause you sure seem to find them quick.  ;)

Remember when you were a little  kid and had to memorize verses in Sunday school or the Gettysburg Address in in grade school and did it by saying it over and over again....well I have been saying this stuff for 7 1/2 years,  and I know where the bodies are buried.  I have George to check my math...glad his forte isn't grammar.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 06:41:36 PM »
45Bullet,
I don't know where you've been, but if you want it, you've found a new home. Welcome!
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 08:01:08 PM »
I have George to check my math...glad his forte isn't grammar.

Actually, I am pretty good in grammar, too; I correct spelling errors in old posts if I find them.  But I let it ride unless the verbiage is too confusing as is.  And when it is, I talk about it back channel instead of in public.   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 05:30:16 AM »
I have George to check my math...glad his forte isn't grammar.

Actually, I am pretty good in grammar, too, but I let it ride unless the verbiage is too confusing as is.  And when it is, I talk about it back channel instead of in public.   ;D

Well now that I think about it....:)

Offline 45Bullet

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 12:19:34 PM »
You asked for a picture. Here it is.