Author Topic: Wolves being returned to New England, California, and other locations  (Read 2575 times)

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Wolves being returned to New England, California, and other locations
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2010, 12:59:42 PM »
Yeah, I have a friend near Pinedale, Wyo. who hasd a large cattle ranching opeartion. Some of the wolves introduced into Yellowstone several years ago have left the park and he has lost in the last year or so 200 head of cattle to wolves and bears. Most of the cattle were wolf kills. Put the math to those losses and see how that affects your bottom line in cattle ranching! Yep the wolves are protected!
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2010, 01:36:58 PM »
Same thing is going to happen in California and New England.  Then wait till they start moving into the South.  Dairy Farms, Small Farms, there sill be complaints, but wait till they start going for Horses in places like Virginia, Maryland, and the stock of the rich and famous.  We will then have a new age of Wolfers.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2010, 07:12:37 PM »
Too bad they can't be trapped and turned loose in the gang neighborhoods accross America. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Dems live in cities, Reps live in the country. I am betting that the wolves eat more Reps.

Offline Pat/Rick

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2010, 07:30:45 PM »
Looks like wolves are going to be released in the Mt St Helens area. The area is over populated with elk. The state could of issued more hunting permits for the area.........but NOOOOooooooooo. The bambi lovers cry and whine about wolves as the natural way to take care of it. Wolves will take care of the elk overpopulation, then, when that food source is depleted will go for easier prey in the surrounding area. They used to roam in the puget sound region as well but the ----- won't release them at the base of the space needle. How long will it be before the mantra is "hunting ban declared,due to unnatural competition for wolves food source. My mantra is, "oh look, there's one! Bang"! They had their shot, just like trolley cars. Most of the ------- who want them re introduced will NEVER journey and put the time in to track them for observation. Hope the wolves eat a whole bunch of pets and kids.

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2010, 04:25:38 AM »
Too bad they can't be trapped and turned loose in the gang neighborhoods accross America. POWDERMAN.  :o :o

I nominate this for the "best post in thread" award.

Offline 45454

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2010, 09:33:21 AM »
I do agree;let nature run it's course.
They call it, "The balance of nature."
I'm all for to re-locate 50 hungry wolves to CBD,with the doors blocked.
Hope the wolves don't get sick.
You have a good week pard !
The old calibers and guns got the job done
Life-United Prospectors Inc
WARTHOG-The Open Range forums

Offline southernutah

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2010, 03:05:24 PM »
put a bunch in central park NYC

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2010, 06:14:24 PM »
it sure is easy to tell who has had real world experience with wolves and who hasnt.  i especially enjoyed the guy who posted pictures of him and 'his' wolf.  and pictures of his daughter with wolves.  makes me wish there was a puking smiley.   
   some of you need to quit watching walt disney, and step into the real world.   and, i might add, why is it that wolf promoters are always about letting nature take it's course, right up until their wolf is in danger??? got news for ya, i am part of nature, and so are the rest of the boys who have had enough of touchy feely imbeciles pushing their baloney on us.   

Offline 45454

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2010, 07:16:47 PM »
Wouldn't that be called a pot luck dinner ?

Offline southernutah

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 06:04:12 PM »
Wouldn't that be called a pot luck dinner ?

Welcome to the real world...........

Offline 45454

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 07:23:58 PM »
http://www.saveelk.com/
This link was originally posted at California Predators Club.
I've known about this website for quite some time.
Anti-hunting ? No.The website gives facts,not bull.
Wolves do kill just for the thrill of it.Same as coyotes/coydogs.
They do not kill just, the old verbage, "the old or weak".They go after healthy
animals too.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 08:58:25 PM »
To Abelt...:  When the pet wolf issue hit Alaska there was a huge debate and finally the law came out to prohibit pet wolves and hybrids -right move. One of the telling arguments was by a guy who had kept wolves and hybrids for many years with no trouble. He had long been a defender of the practice. But he said, one day he had sprained his ankle badly; when he limped out to feed his wolf it nailed him. The wolf was responding to the signs that the alpha male (man) was weak. It really changed the guy's view of keeping wolves - its a dumb idea. And many of the really old time dog sled drivers came to the same conclusion; wolf hybrids were big and tough but never dependable, safe, or fully domesticated into a team.

To Siskyou: I have to admit I have actively encouraged the transplant of brown bears from Alaska to California. Mostly in response to all the CA city folk trying to mess with Alaskan wildlife management et. Especially that knot head Miller who whips up Alaskan environmental issues to fill his campaign coffers and to distract CA voters from home issues. I figured if a few bears were loose in the Sacramento Valley it might help educate the CA city masses on real wild life. A "put up or shut up" reaction. It worked many years ago when Gov Hammond offered free wolves to any state after they were making uproars about our wolf control back then; there were NO takers.

My apologies to the Californians in the back country (or not) who still have a clear mind on the issues and who might be more directly impacted. Still, don't you think CA should have a few real brown bears not just on the flag?   ;D

Sourdough tells it as straight as I know it about the Chignik teacher death last winter. Those wolves weren't sick or aged but they WERE REALLY hungry and she presented an easy opportunity.

I had a book about wolves written by a wolf expert and he noted that tho wolves often cull the poor condition animals they are also fully capable of taking top condition animals too - and had observed it a number of times. He wrote a few paragraphs speculating on how that could be but came to no conclusions. Wish I could remember the title - Something like Wolves Elk, Deer and Moose.

Sourdough, while future wolf transplants might come from Alaska, we aren't disease free up here either. Have you found any wolves with no guard hairs? From an Alaskan trapping forum, I'm reading that they are showing up more and more over a wide area of the State. Some speculate sarcoptic mange like is known on the Kenai but hasn't been documented elsewhere. Some of the wolves don't seem to have mange but are fuzzy like puppies and show other strange characteristics  (blue hides?) - I think one of the fur bearer biologists in Fairbanks may be looking into the phenomenon.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline powderman

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2010, 07:30:44 AM »
Dems live in cities, Reps live in the country. I am betting that the wolves eat more Reps.

TRUE, thats because wolves live on real meat and can't live on what the dems are full of. POWDERMAN.  :D :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline 45454

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2010, 07:44:13 AM »
Powderman,that was an "ouch"   :D

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2010, 08:08:31 PM »
Turn 'em loose... I need somethin' new to shoot at. ;D

Spanky

Offline 45454

• Contributor

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2010, 04:09:39 PM »
Dand:  Have heard a few runblings about Mange, but LICE are now our problem here in the interior.  That fiasco we had during the Knowles adminastration, when Defenders Of Wildlife convinced them to move Wolves out of the 40 mile instead of shooting them.  Take them to the Kenai and turn them loose.  Everyone knew the Wolves on the Kenai had lice, lice had been a problem since back in the 70s.  F&G caught and moved a bunch of healthy Wolves from the 40 mile.  Within two years all but a couple had returned to the 40 mile.  All returning Wolves had an infestation of lice.  All the Wolves they had came in contact with along the way ended up with lice as well.  Now many of the Wolves trapped in the Alaska Range are not worth skinning, eat up with lice.  Had two trappers try and give me Wolves if I would take them home and skin them.  I passed as soon as I saw the hides. 

My fear now is that the lice will somehow be transmitted to the bears and other fur bearers.  All it takes is for the other fur bearers to come in contact with an infested dying wolf, or one that has just died. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2010, 07:18:24 PM »
Some more insite into Wolves that you won't hear in the Animal Planet.

Everyone knows Wolves are territorial.  A pack has a set territory and will not tollerate another Pack or Wolf invading their turf.  It will be a fight to the death many times.  Well that is true in areas where plenty of game abounds, like in Yellowstone, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and areas where you have lots of Deer and other game.

Now come to Alaska.  In the Alaska Range the Wolves are Territorial as well.  The Caribou pass through and the Wolves in the area feast while the Caribou last.  Then they go back to Moose, Non-Migratory Caribou, and small game.  But then move to the 40-mile country, and areas north of there.  There is not much up there on the Tundra for a pack to subsist on.  They follow the Caribou, year round.  In the winter the Caribou move into Canada, the Wolves follow.  The Caribou move back into Alaska in the spring, the Wolves follow.  Where the Caribou goes, so does the Wolves.  The North SLope herd, The Porcupine herd (the herd in ANWR), and the 40 mile herd, all move to Canada then back to ALaska.  The wolves follow.  In winter they single out an animal and make a kill, any animal will do.  Old, young, healthy, or not, does not matter, its all meat.  In the spring they follow the herd back west into Alaska.  stragglers are the preferred victums.  Make a kill and move on before the herd leaves them behind.  It's too hard to kill healthy strong running animals now when on the move.  Then Calving starts, and calves are the target.  Also cows giving birth and unable to run away.  Kill the cow and get the calf as a bonus.  Then the packs gains strength and no longer needs to conserve strength, so they take any animal they set their sights on.  Their territory is where the Caribou is.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2010, 02:48:18 AM »
Sourdough, you left something out about thier territorial behavior, that will also not be shown on animal planet. Not only do they not tolerate other packs of wolves in thier territory, they will not tolerate any canine in thier territory. In northern MN they kill many many dogs, that is one of the reasons many locals in northern MN gut shoot wolves when they see them.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline powderman

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2010, 06:26:00 AM »
Sourdough, you left something out about thier territorial behavior, that will also not be shown on animal planet. Not only do they not tolerate other packs of wolves in thier territory, they will not tolerate any canine in thier territory. In northern MN they kill many many dogs, that is one of the reasons many locals in northern MN gut shoot wolves when they see them.

They won't tolerate coyotes or foxes either, they see them as competitors for food. POWDERMAN.  ::) ::)
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2010, 06:30:02 AM »
I read this today in the Fairbanks Daily News Miner, and screamed.  They (the paper) had gotten it from somewhere else and do not have it on their web site.  I finally located it and thought many of you guys would be interested in reading this article.  In 10 to 15 years hope your kids and grandkids don't stray far from the door.  They are extreamely intelligent and adaptive animals.  Also rather aggresive, and a voracious preditors.  They also often adopt the habit of only eating hot meals.  Meaning once they make a kill, and eat their fill, they don't return.  Instead they look for fresh warm meat.  That makes it hard to trap and poison them.  What do they eat?  Anything they can bring down.

http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/07/20/1595570/petition-seeks-to-have-wolves.html
Its nice when the targets are furnished for you
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2010, 07:08:22 PM »
Killin' 'em is fine but gut shootin' 'em ain't. Nothin' deserves to be gutshot and left to suffer.

Spanky

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2010, 04:42:51 AM »
Killin' 'em is fine but gut shootin' 'em ain't. Nothin' deserves to be gutshot and left to suffer.

Spanky

Well Spanky you do it your way and we'll do it ours. Being some are carrying transmitters I think our method is much less likely to end up with legal difficulties. In fact I have never heard of onyone using this method being prosecuted, and it is a pretty common procedure.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline 45454

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2010, 10:55:12 AM »
Last link.
http://lobowatch.com/LOBO-WATCH-Home.html
Scroll down to about the end of the page.
There's "Guns for wolves".Or some such.
Wolves don't have a problem with suffering.
A deer or elk being eaten alive,the wolves don't care.They get their
bellies full,and move on to their next "kill for thrill".
The animals they attack,suffers more than an ethical hunter does with
one bullet,or arrow.
The animals can suffer for hours.I watched one movie that was posted on a website.
That calf was attacked by wolves.The anal quarters was non existant.
Someone outside of the camera range lifted the rear left leg.Hardly anything left insdie.
This calf,somehow,kept breathing.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
I've seen Moose walking around on three legs, with half of a rear ham eaten.  Wolves did it, then moved on, leaving the Moose to suffer for days before being humanely put down with a .22 pistol.

Also seen a pack of wolves chasing Caribou, ripping the bellies open.  When the intestines fall out and hit the ground the Caribou stops.  The wolves turn, leaving it standing there and go off chasing other Caribou.  Then do the same thing, over and over again.  That day my partner and I saw over 150 Caribou gutted in this manner.  This was in March, up in the high ridges and bowls above treeline, where the wind had blown all the snow off.  With no snow we were unable to get into rifle range to do anything about it.  I reported it to the area biologist, he said "Wolves don't do that".  One month later that Biologist had a piece in the Fairbanks paper saying they had no explination why the Caribou die off reported by airplane pilots, had taken place in the Alaska Range.  That herd went from 20 thousand animals to less than 1300 animals at last count last year.  Wolves are the reason, yet the environmental groups come unglued when we try and do preditor control in that area.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline powderman

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2010, 04:35:49 PM »
I've seen film on that on PBS stations, lions too will start eating as soon as the animal is down. I got no use for wolves. POWDERMAN.  :o :o

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2010, 09:59:14 AM »

Spanky

Well Spanky you do it your way and we'll do it ours. Being some are carrying transmitters I think our method is much less likely to end up with legal difficulties. In fact I have never heard of onyone using this method being prosecuted, and it is a pretty common procedure.

Have heard farmers say they gut shoot deer so they will run off and die , saves draging them out the field , sad but true.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !