Author Topic: Justify this round  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Justify this round
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 04:39:08 PM »
The OP asked a reasonable question from his own unique perspective...could it be to compensate for poor shooting...and  the Board turns on the OP for asking the question.  Comeon Man!  Aren't we better than this? 

My hunting partner uses a 338 Win Mag BAR from time to time and not unlike this later manufactured gun. 
http://www.cabelas.com/gun-inventory---dundee---browning---1762203-browbar-dun.shtml

It is a pretty interesting rifle.  It'll knock down a pig in short order.  But he can't get it to shoot straight on a 200yd range for deer with factory or hand loads.  So he doesn't use it for deer.  He also has a 20 ga. Browning Superposed Over/Under shotgun that he occasionally shoots coons with.  Now THAT is another story.

I figure, the way the OP described the shooter's actions, he WAS compensating for inaccurate shooting.  Just my $0.02

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 07:26:33 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with using a 338 for deer. Yeah it's probably overkill for a 50yd. shot on a broadside buck but if the shot was 400yds. on a quartering buck and it was the only shot opportunity you had it'd be just about perfect. ;)
If you look at things that way it's not overkill... it's versatile. :)

Spanky

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 07:55:45 PM »
I've heard of folks using the .375H&H on deer and I suppose if you could only have one rifle to hunt the world then I can understand that choice.

I can see a even better reason. Suppose you have all sorts of rifles from big to small. Maybe you just LIKE that one better. Theres more to a rifle than just the caliber. If I had a magnum chambered rifle and it turned out that I shot better with it,or I just liked it better than the others,thats the one that I would grab when I went hunting.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 09:43:30 PM »
I shot an adult White-tailed doe last year in Upper Michigan with a Weatherby Mark V in 338-06 A-Square.  I hand loaded 200 grain Nosler/Winchester Combined Technology Ballistic Silver Tips using IMR-4320 with 30-06 Springfield once fired brass.  I shot this deer at approx 125 yards behind the front shoulder.  At the shot she rolled over and never moved.  Upon field dressing the damage was minimal (double lung and top of heart), compared to my 270 Winchester using 150 grain Hornady Interlock’s and IMR-4831.  The 270 Winchester shoots this 150 grain bullets a little faster than the 338-06 A-Square’s 200 grainer but does more damage.

So now the 338 Winchester Magnum beats the 338-06 A-Square in velocity, but if he is shooting like a 225 – 250 grain bullet then the damage would be a lot less then some smaller caliber moving faster.  You never told us what bullet, so your facts are lacking.  I would choose the 338 Winchester Magnum, over any the 7mm Remington or 7mm Weatherby Magnum, since you didn’t specify.

Justify this round:  338 Winchester Magnum, Yes he got my vote as long as he can place the bullets, no worries.

yooper77

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2010, 03:25:57 AM »
Quote from: yooper77
You never told us what bullet, so your facts are lacking. 
I am guessing those facts are not in evidence because the OP's observation is one of speculation and not knowing...just speculating why the person would move up in caliber.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2010, 07:28:46 AM »
I didn't take it as speculation at all.  He was passing judgment on a caliber and the people who use it.  He had no intention of caring what answers he got.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2010, 08:11:39 AM »
I am guessing those facts are not in evidence because the OP's observation is one of speculation and not knowing...just speculating why the person would move up in caliber.
I don't think it matters what bullet you use on deer from a 338 Win mag.
From almost any angle it will be a through and through.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2010, 12:51:01 PM »
I don't think it matters what bullet you use on deer from a 338 Win mag.
From almost any angle it will be a through and through.

Yes I agree.

yooper77

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2010, 01:12:34 PM »
Some of Paul Matthew` books give a good description on the use of large bore magnums for deer hunting. Particular the .375 H&H mag and the .458 Win mag. Both of these rifles used were the Ruger #1. Great read and shows with the correct load that very little damage to edible
meat is noticed.
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2010, 04:42:47 PM »
Sometimes I carry a 375H&H to the deer woods. Is it my only gun? good grief no! Am I a bad shot? Again, No. It's just that I really like my 375 and would like to carry it somewhere other than the range. The deer don't seem to notice or care. Why would anyone else? And if I had a 460 Weatherby, every now and then . . . watch out deer.

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2010, 05:05:36 PM »
None needed, if you like it shoot it.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2010, 03:34:42 AM »
A couple of yrs back I found some Hornady bullets that were designed for the 33 Winchester. Moved them @ about 2100 ft.  Lots of fun.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline jhm

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2010, 03:55:48 AM »
     I would much rather see someone use a too LARGE caliber than some trying to see how SMALL a caliber they can get away with to kill a deer.   Jim

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2010, 04:35:29 AM »
 :D While you don't need a .338 to take a whitetail deer, some of us just enjoy using different firearms for our hunting...and I agree with the guys who said it is better to error on the side of too much rather than too little...While a big gun will not make up for poor shooting, if and error does occur, and it will if you hunt long enough, a more powerful rifle will help bring the game to bag with a less than perfect hit....as far  as using different calibers, if I only had my old 30-06 to hunt with, I doubt I would spend much time in the field....using something different is enjoyable to me...this fall I plan to do some hunting, with my .25-35 and .45-70 up to my .300's and .375 H & H..

Offline v-man

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2010, 10:33:49 AM »
+1 on the .375H&H. Mine has taken deer, hog, coyote and yes, even a wascally wabbit. None of them complained.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2010, 10:49:47 AM »
Vman, I just reloaded some 300 grain Nosler Part. for my .375 H & H and it turned in very acceptable groups firing off of sand bags over the hood of my pickup...while I have not used it on a wide variety of game...it sure is a killer...while you tried a rab bit, my pal had some old ammo from his #1, and we shot it though my rifle to just use it up...prairie dogs did not make it to the holes after a hit with the 260 grain bullets...plus this rifle is not difficult to shoot for as big as it is..no .22 certainly, but not difficult to drill out nice groups with it....

Offline v-man

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2010, 01:01:17 PM »
I've shot some 270's and 300's at the range but all my hunting was with 225gr Hornadys. All my load data is out in my workshop but it's a pretty stout load of Reloader 15 that groups about 1.5"at 100yds. The rabbit was an impetuous but perfect offhand shot at 75 yds at sundown on the last day of an unsuccessful hunt. I sort of felt bad about it but only sort of. The rabbit felt nothing.