Author Topic: Gun Socks  (Read 2054 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
Gun Socks
« on: July 22, 2010, 08:13:12 AM »
well as you know i live in FL and this is a very wet place. I have been keep my air rifles on the floor under my bed and one in the guiter case. Well are  Gun Socks a good way to keep my guns from getting rust and moisture from getting inside my gun?  Do they work well?
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
Re: Gun Socks
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:06:11 AM »
The best way to prevent rust and moisture on any surface is to keep it in an air conditioned space with good airflow around it.

Assuming you don't have a gun safe with a little heater in it, the best place to keep a gun may be behind or near the refrigerator; the air is as dry as the rest of the house, but its also warm from the refrigerator condenser.

I don't see a gunsock offering any rust protection, unless it had some lubricating property.
I think gunsocks only offer protection from bumps and nicks.

I'm in Ala and if I take a gun outside from a cool spot indoors during the summer, the scope fogs up and the metal sweats.
I try to put them in a place to "pre-warm" before I go outside.
Where the hot air blows out of the refrigerator is a good place to warm a gun.

The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:17:56 AM »
I use gun socks instead of more traditional cases for my shotguns during the seasons.  I don't store them that way.  They are allegedly treated with silicone but I've never trusted that...

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 09:20:47 AM »
i am looking at the one that are Silicone-treated, polyester/acrylic gun socks. They say on the box that it  give valuable firearms protection against rust, dirt and scratches. The fabric won't hold moisture, making these gun socks ideal for year-round storage. Four different sizes to choose from to accommodate virtually any gun - scoped or unscoped. Extra-wide version stretches for use with large scopes. Drawstring closure.

I saw one like the Cabela's Knit Gun Socks  for sale.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 09:34:50 AM »
I use the ones from Cabelas and one I got from the NWTF.  They WILL hold water if it rains but they do protect from scratches and dirt... They are just like a less padded case that is easier to get around.

Offline PowPow

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 11:05:14 AM »
The sock itself may not hold moisture, but it will allow moisture vapor to travel through it to condense on the cold metal surface under the right conditions. like going from air conditioning to muggy outside conditions, like today in Ala or Fla.

Rainy winter days are a different situation.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 08:11:10 AM »
so it's a waste of cash? I have seen the Bull Frog Rust Blocker Gun Sleeve or Aloksak  Weapons Bag are they a better deal?  Also can i just buy a Mini DeHumidifier and keep it under my bed to keep rust at bay?  This one looks like it should work http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP186-1.html   it says Odorless, non toxic, and safe.

Offline PowPow

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 09:54:43 AM »
This CAMP186-1 is just a desiccant, like the bag that comes in new shoes or electronics. You could probably find an equivalent item at Walmart.

In my opinion, it is the dehumidification equivalent of those pine-tree shaped air freshers. It will suck 6 oz of moisture out of the air in your home over some period of time and then you can throw it away.

An air conditioner will do the same thing in the normal course of keeping your home comfortable.  If your home is air conditioned continuously and evenly, you should not be having a problem with rust. Don’t turn the a/c off when you go to work; turn it up a few degrees.

If you already have rust, get rid of the rust and spot re-blue with the Birchwood Casey reblue kit. They have them at Academy.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 03:35:33 AM »
I use some with silicone in them.. the problem is it is tough to tell which rifle is inside!

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 07:01:03 AM »
The last apt. i live at it was closer to the bay and i had a fish tank in my room(wd40 and kept things inside there boxs they came in) . Here in tarpon springs it seem dryer. I live in a 2nd floor apt. and the A/C and water heater are right in my bed room(by the door) and about 5 feet from were i keep my guns.  I used to have rats and so i keep my room at about 82-72 all year long with the windows open(when it's hot out) but with the curtains close. There is always a fan on all day and it stays dark and cool in my room all day.  There also lots of dust all over the places, every few weeks i have to clean dust off of everying.

My handgun i keep in a hard case with those little bag that comes in new shoes(i was told they work well when you put 3 in there).  It seem to work for handgun cases.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 07:49:42 AM »
I thought you sold your guns?

Offline PowPow

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 03:17:41 PM »
...the A/C and water heater are right in my bed room(by the door) and about 5 feet from were i keep my guns...all year long with the windows open(when it's hot out) but with the curtains close.

Okay, the A/C is blowing on the guns to keep the surface of them cold, and the window is open to let moist air in.
If it ever turns off for a moment, moist air hits the cold surface of the guns and makes them wet.
That is the best way to guarantee your guns will rust.

Close the window and the a/c won't run as hard and the apt will be less humid and the guns won't rust.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 12:26:18 PM »
I thought you sold your guns?

did, kept some ammo, the handgun case and some other  things.

...the A/C and water heater are right in my bed room(by the door) and about 5 feet from were i keep my guns...all year long with the windows open(when it's hot out) but with the curtains close.

Okay, the A/C is blowing on the guns to keep the surface of them cold, and the window is open to let moist air in.
If it ever turns off for a moment, moist air hits the cold surface of the guns and makes them wet.
That is the best way to guarantee your guns will rust.

Close the window and the a/c won't run as hard and the apt will be less humid and the guns won't rust.

the A/c is never turn on. Only fans keep the place cool. I have not had any rust so far but i am try to make sure it does not happen. My knifes, swords and other weapons have not got any rust on them and i just have them sitting around the room.  The inside of airguns are made out of stainless steel or aluminum(co2 and pump up are at least) but the outside is blue steel.

really i just trying to find a easy way beside keeping the A/C on all day. In the past when i got rust on things it was sand and used black or camo spray paint on it.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 01:37:15 PM »
So just to be clear:

You sold your guns, and you considering buying socks to store them in?

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 09:45:21 AM »
So just to be clear:

You sold your guns, and you considering buying socks to store them in?

i sold all center fire, rim fire and any firearms i had. I still own airguns, a bow, blade weapons, blowguns, slingshots.  I wanted to keep the airguns from getting rust. The things so far you guys have told me will work but i don't want to have the A/C on(i think it's a waste of money to have on and the heart med's i am on make me feel cold all the time). So i thinking of getting a gun sock or a hard case and maybe put some desiccant silica gel packets in there or just wrapped my airguns with oil or dry cotten rags.

when i had firearms i did not think about rust at all and kept them in hard cases wrapped with WD40 or oil rags. I was told that how people in WW2 and nam kept there guns when they shipped them.

Offline PowPow

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 11:09:21 AM »
if you don't run the a/c, keep them near the refrigerator, so the warm air offthe outside of it will keep the guns slightly warm around the clock and moisture won't condense on them in the morning or when the weather changes.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 09:55:39 AM »
that i can do. thanks.