Author Topic: Duplicating DoubleTap Speeds  (Read 463 times)

Offline GrassLakeRon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Duplicating DoubleTap Speeds
« on: July 23, 2010, 11:41:53 AM »
Question:  Has anyone duplicated the speeds match by the DoubleTap Company?  The reason is this, their speeds for their 375 H&H 350gr is at 2450 fps.  I can come no where close to take and stay within SAAMI pressures.  Whats going on they can get to that speed?

Ron

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Duplicating DoubleTap Speeds
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 12:36:07 PM »
Ron

Are these speeds what YOU chronoed or are the speeds that THEY say they get ?

The reason I ask is that ammo manufacturers do sometimes list speeds that were gotten from closed-chambered , super tight chambered pressure guns and taken from right at the muzzle . None of these numbers do any real world good if the Ave person can't ever get close to them with a factory rifle .

Secondly , way too much is placed on matching the speed of factory ammo compaired to hand loads , the real question is what load groups the best / does the paper target or game animal care if the slug that hits it is going 100 fps less than it should ?

And lastly , most major ammo companies us a blended powder that you and I can never have axcess to .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline GrassLakeRon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 02:10:51 AM »
Stimpy,

I agree with you on the best groups.  I was wondering how such a small company would get access to a blended powder?  So the question is, if I were to start a small manufacturing company I could get the same......  I have had mixed results with "super fast" loads.... and I hunt with none of them. 

Ron

Offline Dill45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 11:46:51 AM »
Odds are its probably their own blend.  Hornady just came out with one of its own blends for their super performance cartridges.  They really nailed it there.

Since they (double tap) have access to more resources and pressure testing equipment, they can take the time to mix their own powders.

Though I will admit, some of the numbers I see from double tap are pretty eye popping.

Offline shot1

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 03:47:15 AM »
Like has be stated. Have you crnoed that ammo in your rifle? I would be willing to bet that it is no where close to that advertised velocity in your rifle. Check out some of the data that ammo companies give for what they tested their ammo in. Like has been said it is tight chambered pressure barrels and most of the barrels are very looooooog. It depends on the caliber but you can get anywhere from 25 to 50 fps on average more per inch of barrel. For instance I have some 6.5X55 rifles. With the same load and a 140 gr bullet the 24" barrel gets in the 2500 fps range but the 29" gets in the 2800 fps. Same with a friends 264 Win mag and mine. His has a 24" barrel and with the same load as I use with 130 gr Nosler AB he gets average 3050 fps but in my 27 3/4" barrel I average 3350 fps.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 03:54:08 AM »
Like has be stated. Have you crnoed that ammo in your rifle? I would be willing to bet that it is no where close to that advertised velocity in your rifle. Check out some of the data that ammo companies give for what they tested their ammo in. Like has been said it is tight chambered pressure barrels and most of the barrels are very looooooog. It depends on the caliber but you can get anywhere from 25 to 50 fps on average more per inch of barrel. For instance I have some 6.5X55 rifles. With the same load and a 140 gr bullet the 24" barrel gets in the 2500 fps range but the 29" gets in the 2800 fps. Same with a friends 264 Win mag and mine. His has a 24" barrel and with the same load as I use with 130 gr Nosler AB he gets average 3050 fps but in my 27 3/4" barrel I average 3350 fps.

;)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 08:18:43 AM »
I don't know about their rifle ammo, but their pistol ammo always falls well short of their advertised velocities.