Author Topic: Best Buy...22 Rim Fire?  (Read 5056 times)

Offline RIFLE MAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Best Buy...22 Rim Fire?
« on: July 24, 2010, 04:30:41 PM »
Anyone have any opinions as to what you believe to be the
best buy in a semi-automatic 22 Rim fire rifle? I am looking for
an all-around best buy for the money? Its main use will be squirrel
hunting with an occasional coon or rabbit thrown in.

Kindly,
Rifle man
"Smile, Shake a hand, and be a friend."

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Best Buy...22 Rim Fire?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 05:50:02 PM »
There are several of Ruger's guns that don't really please me, but one that does is the 10-22.  One of the most dependable and accurate little rifles out there for the money, and has a bunch of aftermarket mods available....
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline RIFLE MAN

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 05:55:04 PM »
What is the market price of used Ruger 10-22's in good to
excellent condition?

Rifle Man

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 06:32:30 PM »
I see them used for about $150.00 around here is like new condition, with the birch stock.  New they run from around $200.00 to much more dependent on options. 

The one I bought in the early 70's has had thousands of rounds through it by the young ones in the family, and presently my nephew has it.  It will later go to my grandson when he is older.  No repairs and no problems.  Just an occasional cleaning.

Ben 

Offline RIFLE MAN

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 06:42:40 PM »
Thanks Mechanic. Your info is very helpful. I think I will
try to find one in excellent shape. A 22 is cheap to shoot,
is great for honing shooting skills, and is very useful on
small game.

Rifle Man

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 06:47:39 PM »
Here is one on this site that is all dressed up for show and go......

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,212050.0/topicseen.html

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 04:18:44 AM »
  If you are buying new, i'd say you will get the most 22 for the least $ spent, buying a Marlin 60.  The ones i've fired were more accurate than a out of the box Ruger 10/22, and they don't sit in your hand like a beached whale, like the Ruger does.

For the record, i have both...

DM

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 05:01:59 AM »
I've had them all and I shoot a Marlin 60.

"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 05:15:10 AM »
I have three 10/22 s
a standard model that was the first gun I purchased the summer after I turned 18.  It has had thousands if not 100,000 rounds through it, has been apart completely multiple times and it works great.
As Mechanic said there are thousands of after market items that you can bolt on and custmize it the way you want it.
The 10/22 action is simple and easy to clean, disassemble, and more important re assemble.
If you buy one will you will not be disapointed.

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 08:37:56 AM »
All things being said, one has to determine what the 22 will be used for.  Target shooting, plinking, small game under 75 yards etc. Secondly, where will it be stored and how quickly does it have to be available, Thirdly will there be minors where the firearm will be stored.
As for myself, absolute MOA accuracy is secondary as I use my 22 for plinking, small game and varmints out to 75 yards. Also I want the 22 to be able to be loaded quickly with the magazine stored away from the firearm.
This pretty well eliminates any stock or tube feed 22. I have a problem with any magazine protruding below the stock as it gets in the way when shooting off a bench or flat rest. There are some magazines that hold fewer rounds that would be acceptable.
As you may guess by now I went for the 10-22 to fill my needs. Reliable, separate 10 round magazine, quickly loaded and unloaded and reasonable cost and a blast for plinking.
If cost is primary then a secondhand gun may be a consideration
MONTVEIL IN THE NC MOUNTAINS

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 02:40:29 PM »
  I guess i owned the only 10-22 in the world that was a jam o matic. Wouldn't shoot anything i fed it. Traded it for a Marlin. Never had a problem with that.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 03:50:42 PM »
  I guess i owned the only 10-22 in the world that was a jam o matic. Wouldn't shoot anything i fed it. Traded it for a Marlin. Never had a problem with that.
A good cleaning and a new Magazine do wonders.
Could also have been a bent op rod,  Loose barrel screws, missing bolt block pin, .....
Then again some times you get one made on a friday before a long weekend.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 04:02:16 PM »
and remember, there is now an aftermarket trigger for the marlin 60
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 04:14:37 PM »
My 10-22 was a new gun. Never worked right out of the box. Yes i did clean it before i fired it.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 04:43:45 PM »
My 10-22 was a new gun. Never worked right out of the box. Yes i did clean it before i fired it.

You aren't alone, over the years i've seen a couple Ruger jam-0-matics too, but i've seen far more that weren't.  But, that's not my complaint with them...  My complaint is, they are terrible to carry as they are fat as a beached whale, and the average one just isn't all that accurate, UNLESS you starting pileing $$ into them.  I just hate to buy a new gun, and then have to pay again to fix it!

DM

Offline Duke0313

• Contributor
  • I am the way, the truth, and the life. -John 14:6
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 12:57:21 AM »
I've had a Marlin model 60 for 15 years. Kept it clean...shoots great, no problems! And I didn't have to spend $1,000.00 on after-market gadgets, either!
"Republic:  I like the sound of the word -- means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, however they choose.  Some words give you a deep feeling.  Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat. -John Wayne- The Alamo

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 04:46:40 AM »
FWIW, the "best buy", dollar-wise is often not the best value (aka: bang for your buck).

Likewise, the best value is often not a best-buy, dollar-wise.

You need to decide what things are important to you, besides the ability to pop squills - which just about any gun can do, if properly instructed.   ;)

For example:
While some espouse a Ruger 10/22, and others a Marlin 60 (type) - take note of their magazines, and how that would effect YOU, and YOUR hunting situation.

The 10/22 has a detachable magazine, while the Marlin has a non-detachable tube-type.

If your situation is one where you move frequently between different hunting areas, loading/unloading the rifle several times a day, the advantages of a QD magazine should quickly become obvious,
If you hunt afoot, in a single area a day, the point is moot.

Another thing to consider would be whether or not YOU like the looks & handling of one particular make or config rifle over others - NO ONE really loves the Ugly Duckling for very long, but beauty is also in the eye of the beholder, and no one else.

There are other considerations, too - but those should be enough to prod your thoughts.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 01:24:26 PM »

I'm with ya.  Model 60 and I have a good old model 25 bolt also and a packable original blued model 70p.  Have put much meat in the pot and many days of fun.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 07:19:12 PM »
Have a marlin model 60 and a 25 bolt action. Both shoot well but the model 60 has to be kept clean. My ruger 10-22 I gave to a buddy for his son. Frank

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 08:04:48 PM »
I bought a Marlin M-60 years ago new for 60.00 for the base model. It was a great little rifle as long as you kept it clean. It will let you know when it wants a bath by not going to battery all the way and needs a little push. I got more than my money's worth out of it. After I used it for a few years, I sold it for the same price I paid for it. I have a Stainless 10/22 now with a 22" bbl and sporter stock that I like even better. Not so finicky about cleaning and very accurate. It cost more than a standard carbine model but has a nicer stock and balances better. It came with an extended mag release and all I did to it was tweek the trigger and mount a scope. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 08:31:56 PM »
The Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin 60 are both nice rifles, but different.  Go to a gun shop and handle each, see what you like, as a rifle is a personal item, with the most practicality being only one factor.  I have owned both, and to me the Marlin felt better in the hands, the Ruger was a little more reliable, accurate, plus has a ton of aftermarket accessories available if desired.  In the end, I think there is a reason the Ruger 10/22 is the best selling .22 semi auto ever made.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline bubbinator

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 09:01:13 PM »
Savage makes some of the most accurate and cost effective rifles on the market. I have multiple .22s. A Ruger 10-22 with a HB/Red Dot setup that is deadly. A Rem 552 w/ a 4X scope that shoots .22 S-L-LRs and is also accurate. I mention Savage because they sell an HB .22 w/ Thumbhole or regular stock, Accutrigger and a scope, usually a Bushnell  3X9X40 for $299. at places like Dicks Sporting Goods or Academy Sports.  I have a Savage .17HMR from Dick's that is a deathray out to about 175 yds!  My neighbor has the same gun, same thumbhole stock that is just as accurate, just not as far out.

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 10:07:46 PM »

I have a Marlin 60 and a Coast to Coast model 440 which is a re-branded Marlin 70 (same as the 60 but with a detachable box magazine instead of the tube magazine,as well as a shorter barrel). The 70 is much older but much less used. I like them both (I just finished fixing some stock damage the 60 came with and it came out real nice) but there is one drawback. You get around 200-300 rounds before it needs quite a bit of cleaning. It sort of hits a wall in reliability. They are working fine then a few shots later they are jamming like crazy and you have to take them apart (its easier than it could be,but harder than I would like) and clean them then they work fine again. Someone suggested using a dry lube and it was a disaster. Jammed like crazy. Had to clean it all out. Break Free CLP works well for me though. I find them both to be alot more accurate than I can shoot.
   In fact,I know the Coast to Coast 440 is very accurate. The first time I had it out,I snapped off a magazine from a standing position and put them all into about 3/4 of an inch at 50 yards with iron sights. Its not like I can do that normally of course,I just got lucky,did it without thinking and must have done everything on my part 100% perfectly. (wish I COULD do that on demand) Still,it shows the rifle is capable of it. People say its becuase of the microbore rifling it has. I like mine,but if you get one,just remember if its going to work reliably you have to keep it very clean,and in fact may have to stop at the range,and clean it once or twice a session depending on how much you shoot.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »
All things being said, one has to determine what the 22 will be used for.  Target shooting, plinking, small game under 75 yards etc. Secondly, where will it be stored and how quickly does it have to be available, Thirdly will there be minors where the firearm will be stored.
As for myself, absolute MOA accuracy is secondary as I use my 22 for plinking, small game and varmints out to 75 yards. Also I want the 22 to be able to be loaded quickly with the magazine stored away from the firearm.
This pretty well eliminates any stock or tube feed 22. I have a problem with any magazine protruding below the stock as it gets in the way when shooting off a bench or flat rest. There are some magazines that hold fewer rounds that would be acceptable.
As you may guess by now I went for the 10-22 to fill my needs. Reliable, separate 10 round magazine, quickly loaded and unloaded and reasonable cost and a blast for plinking.
If cost is primary then a secondhand gun may be a consideration

The Marlin 60 is marlins tube magazine fed model. The 70 (I think they call them the 795 now) is the detachable box magazine fed model. They also make where you can unscrew the barrel and break it down. That one looks really nice but I dont know how much it goes for.

I am curious as to the build quality and materials used in the 10-22. One of my Marlins is very old and has a metal trigger assembly. On the other the entire trigger guard is made out of plastic and I see the new ones are made that way too.It looks sturdy and seems to have held up well though. The 60 with the plastic trigger guard is much more worn than the much older 70,but the trigger assembly and trigger guard are fine.so it does not seem like a problem. Still,I dont really like it,I prefer a piece of metal.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 10:13:50 PM »
The Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin 60 are both nice rifles, but different.  Go to a gun shop and handle each, see what you like, as a rifle is a personal item, with the most practicality being only one factor.  I have owned both, and to me the Marlin felt better in the hands, the Ruger was a little more reliable, accurate, plus has a ton of aftermarket accessories available if desired.  In the end, I think there is a reason the Ruger 10/22 is the best selling .22 semi auto ever made.

Larry

The Marlin 60 is also available at Walmart at a good price,if you dont mind feeding the beast.

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 03:51:03 AM »
My 10-22 also has a plastic trigger housing that I have no problems with as I also have a Nylon 66 from 1967 that is all plastic and is considered one of the most durable rifles ever made.
As far as 10-22 modifications they are all optional for the shooter. They are available if one desires, but not necessary. I installed a extended magazine release but I now see they come as stock and had a $30 trigger lob to smooth out the trigger. I'm very happy with my 10-22 and recommend one.

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 03:55:56 AM »
You may want to ask the same question on rimfirecentral.com if you want more options but the answers will probably follow the same lines

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 12:28:46 PM »
I noticed that a couple of posters brought up the fact that Ruger has gone to a polymer trigger guard assembly on the 10/22. I have given this some thought too and had considered buying a metal alloy one for mine. Here is what Ruger has to say about it. They show in a video test of strength that the polymer trigger guard is stronger than the metal one.......It makes me feel better about plastic. You can decide.

http://ruger.com/products/1022Sporter/extras.html

The other thing I take into consideration is that the metal ones look all junky after they get the black paint scratched off of them. The same with the alloy grip frames and ejector rod housings on their Blackhawks.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 06:43:03 AM »
I reciently bought a rimfire for my wife. I got a Marlin 981T, bolt action. I thought about the magazine feed vs tube feed and decided one less thing to lose, or damage in handling, so I went with the tube feed. I also like the tube feed for it's sleek look, nothing hanging down from the bottom of the rifle.

My second choice was the Mod 60. I've read that the Mod. 60 is VERY accurate out of the box. But I chose a bolt action...

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 09:20:23 AM »
Reading with interest. Seems to me we need to define the best buy---is it the best, most dependable, with accuracy and craftsmanship.
Is a good purchase price of a Mercedes the best buy?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD