Author Topic: Best Buy...22 Rim Fire?  (Read 5051 times)

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: Best Buy...22 Rim Fire?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 11:37:48 AM »

Right now there is a deal going on where you can buy a Marlin 795 for $125 and you get a $25 rebate from Marlin.

I'm getting ready to buy another 10/22 myself. This time though I'm going to go with a deluxe version that is a limited distributor model from TALO with a French Walnut stock.

I've never cared much for the tubular magazines myself, but that's a personal thing. If you look up the total made for different firearms the M60 Marlin is about the top one made.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 03:06:48 PM »
The 10-22 mags are ok, but I think the big reason I dislike clip feeds is that I've lost them when something bumps the release, I fail to push it in completely or latch wears out.  I've replaced 3 on my Glenfield Model 25 marlin bolt gun.  I have been looking at the tubular bolt from Marlin to replace it, but I cannot bring myself to do so.  This gun was my Grandpa's and he gave it to me when I was 13.  Years later, the stock had taken some torture and I wanted to improve on the squared off, blocky forearm area, so I hand sanded it to more of a high powered rifle look to me then.  I hand rubbed Gunstock Oil into it and transformed that factory nasty stock into this one and added a sling of my own devising from an old dress belt:

Sometimes, I still prefer the ultimate simplicity of my Steven's Crackshot:

No clips to lose there!!!  8)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 04:50:30 PM »

Sometimes, I still prefer the ultimate simplicity of my Steven's Crackshot:

No clips to lose there!!!  8)
[/quote]

+1
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2010, 02:34:17 AM »
bang for buck.. i don t see any that beat the mod 60 marlin.. mine is accurate an serves as second
home defence gun .. this after they somehow avoided the #4 buckshot that my 12 ga. is loaded with..
 if you want to limit how often you need to clean the action use cci ammo.i usually give the rifle a mini clean , after each use..if it was more resistant to rust[the action ,trigger etc]..it would be my survival rifle..
 i may have found the answer though..lucas oil treatment,topped with a little rem oil on trigger an safety..so far so good.
 if you gonna use rem bulk ammo..just plan on gunking the action up,at least thats the case with mine..
that rem 550 brick is just the dirtiest ammo ive found..jmo

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 06:29:04 PM »
I also like CCI and Federal of the many I've tried.  I like Stingers in my Bolt for a little extra zip and in my .22 revolver.  8)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2010, 06:09:47 AM »
Just as a side note- "A best buy, meaning less expensive" may not be the best in the long haul. If the rifle does not do what you want it to do and you become dis-enchanted with it. You will suffer with something you will not shoot and enjoy.
You do not have to get the cheapest gun when for $30-50 more you can get the firearm you will enjoy to shoot and have fun.
In the past when I wanted a certain firearm, I waited and saved wntill I got the extra dollars. I now have the firearms that I really want and love them.
You may want to look into a used rifle or look for sales in places like Walmart, Dicks etc.
Determine what you want to use if for, features that are a must, features you would like THEN look for the rifle that fits your criteria.
MONTVEIL IN THE NC MOUNTAINS

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2010, 02:04:16 AM »
I am going to expand on the last thought.
I have never regretted---never regretted---getting what I really wanted---but---have regretted getting something cheaper.
Folks, life is shorter than you might think----and who wants to pass on a cheap wannbe.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2010, 08:55:39 PM »
bang for buck.. i don t see any that beat the mod 60 marlin.. mine is accurate an serves as second
home defence gun .. this after they somehow avoided the #4 buckshot that my 12 ga. is loaded with..
 if you want to limit how often you need to clean the action use cci ammo.i usually give the rifle a mini clean , after each use..if it was more resistant to rust[the action ,trigger etc]..it would be my survival rifle..
 i may have found the answer though..lucas oil treatment,topped with a little rem oil on trigger an safety..so far so good.
 if you gonna use rem bulk ammo..just plan on gunking the action up,at least thats the case with mine..
that rem 550 brick is just the dirtiest ammo ive found..jmo

I find that mine (model 70,I have a 60 that needs a mag tube that I havent used much yet,but they are pretty much the same except for the mag) gets dirty real easy. Ive used Winchester,Federal and Remington ammo in it with little difference with the exception that the cheapest of cheap 1.50 a box Walmart unjacketed Federal ammo jams even when the gun is clean. I tried a dry lube becuase someone recomended it and it was a disaster. It jamed every other shot. Ill give the CCI a shot. (No pun intended) Other than the fact that you get 250-300 rounds before cleaning becomes necessary or it starts to jam really bad,I really like my 70. (actually its a Coast to Coast model 440,which is a rebadged 70) I find it to be very accurate,at least alot more accurate than I can shoot even with a rest.

Offline CajunBass

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 02:02:48 AM »
I've got ten 22 rifles.  Half of them are 10/22's.  I don't particularly care for the base model carbine, but I do love the walnut stocked DSP models, or the hardwood stocked DSP styled "Wally World Special" stocks.  The only carbine I've got is a green laminated stock, SS one.  They're all reliable, and as accurate as I expect a 22 rifle to be.  I've had a trigger job done on one of them, and I've installed bolt buffers in all of them (but only because someone gave me the bolt buffers, I don't think you "need" them).  I bought all of them off the used rack, and I paid about $200.00 for each.

I don't think they make a better looking rifle, not just a 22 rifle, than this.

FWIW.  This particular one was made in 1977 and has a "no warning" barrel.  It's trim, light, and a joy to carry in the woods. 

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2010, 03:49:34 AM »
  There's NO such thing as "trim" when you are talking about any 10/22!  They all feel like a beached whale in your hand.  Have you ever picked up a Browning semi auto?  Now, that's trim!

DM

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2010, 08:03:51 AM »
I am going to expand on the last thought.
I have never regretted---never regretted---getting what I really wanted---but---have regretted getting something cheaper.
Folks, life is shorter than you might think----and who wants to pass on a cheap wannbe.
Blessings

You are so right!!!!  We can't take the money when we leave this earth so why settle for something cheaper that you really don't want.  I never seen a brinks armored truck in a funeral inbetween the cars yet taking the money to the grave.  If i pass on my misses will spend my $$ on some other swinging dXXk butt head anyhoo so i'm spending my $$ now. And willing my toys to my kids.

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2010, 08:08:51 AM »
Back in '76 i got a ruger 10/22 made in the 200th year of american liberty.  I took it out of the box and took it apart to clean and lube it.  I found burrs inside the top of the receiver were they tapped the scope screw holes and didn't deburr them.  I chamfered everything and lightly stoned the sharp corners off of everything.  So far its been an awesome rifle.

I also have a new marlin from back then too its a 782 bolt action in 22wmr.  At 100yds it can put 10 rounds in the "x" ring(scoped).  I don't think i shot 1 full box of ammo yet because we can't hunt with it in my state.  Its still new.

Offline CajunBass

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2010, 08:12:41 AM »
  There's NO such thing as "trim" when you are talking about any 10/22!  They all feel like a beached whale in your hand.  Have you ever picked up a Browning semi auto?  Now, that's trim!

DM

Thank you for your opinion.  I don't happen to share it.

I'm glad you like your Browning. 

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 10:51:32 AM »

Here's mine....pretty slim and trim!  I am intrigued about the Remington Speedmaster though...any thoughts??
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 11:13:04 AM »
 There's NO such thing as "trim" when you are talking about any 10/22!  They all feel like a beached whale in your hand.  Have you ever picked up a Browning semi auto?  Now, that's trim!
DM

Thank you for your opinion.  I don't happen to share it.
I'm glad you like your Browning.  

I'm with CB about the "feel" of the 10/22,(at least the sporter stocked models). If a Browning fits your dainty little hands better then by all means pay extra for one. Which brings us back to the original poster who asked about affordable .22s. Some may be able to afford a 700.00 .22 and some may not . My jist of the topic was to give suggestions about less expensive semi-auto rifles that would give a good level of performance. It seems, so far, that we have narrowed it down to the Marlin M60 and the 10/22. There are a bunch of variations of both and the choice of which one you want is purely personal. I got the impression from the original post that he was looking for a good meat gun and something fun to shoot without spending an arm and a leg.

Congratulations, William, on the purchase of your 700.00 Browning!!  They are beautiful guns.

I went out plinking the other day with my "Wal-Mart Special" 10/22-22''. I don't shoot at targets too much after I have varified the  sight-in and accuracy. I was playing with the 60.00 Wal-Mart/CenterPoint rimfire scope and I ranged a rock, using the mil-dots, that I had previously measured at 4" x 7'', putting it at a little over 175yds. Using a holdover of 5 mils I hit that rabbit sized rock 5 times in a row before the breeze kicked up again.
I have about 300.00 in the outfit. It works for me and I like the gun.    ;D
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2010, 02:22:23 PM »
  I never said that i had a Browning, i just pointed out the "obvious".  It's not an opinion it's a fact, the 10/22's are pigs.  You just can't stuff a magazine as wide as the one that's in a 10/22, into a 22 rifle, and not end up with a "beached whale" feel to the gun.

Look at the above picts., look at how Ruger had to shape the wood around the magazine, it's just plain FAT in that area...  FAT does NOT = "trim"!

DM

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2010, 04:09:13 PM »
I'm another 10/22 lover. I musy have thousands of rounds throgh it with no jams. Couple years ago I took the ugly wood stock off and put on a Hogue composite. It's really a sweeet gun. The only complaint is the difficulty removing the magazine and loading it especially on a cold day.

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2010, 04:17:23 PM »
Expanding on Montveil's and Mr. Layton's thoughts:

The best buy in a .22 right now is the Kimber 82G from the CMP for $430 to your door.

JMO of course.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2010, 05:47:46 PM »

DM

They are kinda blocky feeling around the middle, but they sure do work well for spitting lead if one wants an inexpensive, reliable auto plinker and/or short-range hunting rifle with a detachable mag. I've had two over the years, and mainly sold them off because they weren't as accurate as I liked (and didn't want to spend 3x the cost of a base gun to improve them when I already had accurate rimfires).

On a side note, can't say as I've seen nor handled many a three-barreld gun that would be real comfy held around the middle either.  ;)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline saddlebum

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2010, 06:06:08 PM »
  I never said that i had a Browning, i just pointed out the "obvious".  It's not an opinion it's a fact, the 10/22's are pigs.  You just can't stuff a magazine as wide as the one that's in a 10/22, into a 22 rifle, and not end up with a "beached whale" feel to the gun.

Look at the above picts., look at how Ruger had to shape the wood around the magazine, it's just plain FAT in that area...  FAT does NOT = "trim"!

DM

Just funnin you a little Drilling Man. You are right. The 10/22 is a little stockier than other models. Guess thats where personal preference comes into play. One of the things I like about the model I have is that it has a little more heft than some of the other models and feels, to me, more like a mansized rifle. It weighs 7lbs ready to hunt.
Guess thats my preference. I respect yours and see your point.   :)
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2010, 06:25:11 PM »
I noticed that a couple of posters brought up the fact that Ruger has gone to a polymer trigger guard assembly on the 10/22. I have given this some thought too and had considered buying a metal alloy one for mine. Here is what Ruger has to say about it. They show in a video test of strength that the polymer trigger guard is stronger than the metal one.......It makes me feel better about plastic. You can decide.

http://ruger.com/products/1022Sporter/extras.html

The other thing I take into consideration is that the metal ones look all junky after they get the black paint scratched off of them. The same with the alloy grip frames and ejector rod housings on their Blackhawks.

It is now composite ruger does many things to hold down cost not all of them are good this is one of those bad things, trigger pull varies form shot to shot. if looking at a used one operate the mag release and look in the hole were it retracts shiny is a metal housing black is a composite housing, I have a good friend who makes a decent living selling fixes for the 10-22.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2010, 05:33:46 AM »

On a side note, can't say as I've seen nor handled many a three-barreld gun that would be real comfy held around the middle either.  ;)

You don't have to handle "many" to get a trim one around the middle, just like with a 22, you only need the handle the "right" one.  So, "Choose wisely Grasshopper"   :D

DM

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2010, 09:01:31 AM »
That Browning was a special purchase for a special person---my Grandson---and he can give it to his child.
Just soas you won't think there will be a groove left in it when he gets it---I am getting myownself a Reminton Speed-Master.
I don't care for magazines and I do like remingtons----now I have three to play with--if you count the Winchester model 62A that will go to my son.
Not a magazine in the bunch---just tubes full of .22's.
Yes---in response, before it is added---I like GOOD weapons.
Blessings 
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2010, 02:00:20 PM »
That Browning was a special purchase for a special person---my Grandson---and he can give it to his child.
Just soas you won't think there will be a groove left in it when he gets it---I am getting myownself a Reminton Speed-Master.
I don't care for magazines and I do like remingtons----now I have three to play with--if you count the Winchester model 62A that will go to my son.
Not a magazine in the bunch---just tubes full of .22's.
Yes---in response, before it is added---I like GOOD weapons.
Blessings 

I don't like magazines either, and my speedmaster has been a GREAT gun!  I bought it new in the 70's, and it just keeps going and going and going!

DM

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2010, 02:54:09 PM »

You don't have to handle "many" to get a trim one around the middle, just like with a 22, you only need the handle the "right" one.  So, "Choose wisely Grasshopper"   :D

DM

Sage advice, oh master of multi-tubes.;D  Now if I could just find me a side by side 22 rimfire with a 410 bbl tucked under them, my journey would be at an end.

Meanwhile, I have this 22 pump with a detachable mag that's pretty darn slender and a joy to shoot...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2010, 06:27:58 PM »
That's a cool lookin little bugger.  8)

Offline saddlebum

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2010, 05:29:10 PM »
I don't like portruding magazines and prefer tubes. My Marlin 781 bolt action with a tube is real nice.
I have no experience with the Rem. 552s, but they look nice.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2010, 05:41:45 PM »
  Another really nice fairly "trim" 22, is my Rem. 582,

DM

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2010, 06:54:22 AM »
Remington 22s have good barrells and most are accurate. My current remington 22 is a woodsmaster and is very accurate. But even the single shots I've owned over the years were accurate as well. I don't like 10-22s but thats just personal opinion. They dont feel good in my hands, and I don't see haw anyone could call them slim. They do work well though but leave a lot to be desired in accuracy dept.   :o  JMO

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE