Author Topic: Forum "Road-Kill" (MORKO TRANSLATION PROJECT)  (Read 9136 times)

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
Re: Forum "Road-Kill"
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 04:15:33 PM »
Progress (of sorts).

Everything points to the rune being influenced by Anglo-Saxon useage.

"Whoa!" you learned ones are saying. "They were subjugated by the Normans in 1066 when William The Conquerer, defeated Harold at Hastings. Morko came 300 years later".  

Aaahh but there was an unexplained reemergence of Anglo-Saxon verse and "things" Anglo-Saxon in the 14th century (morko time), e.g. Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, Mallory's Mort D' Arthur, Piers Plowman, The Pearl, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, etc..  The Baltic, where morko was seined, was a crossroad.

Morko was plastered with Anglo-Saxon schmoltz.

Now I haven't looked at the verbage yet but what some say is "poor Latin", with "letters that are backwards", may be Old English/Medieval Latin.  I'll check it out later.

As for Gary's mentioning clover and vines, the images are not clear enough for me as of yet.

The arrow is barely descernable but I made it out.  It clearly indicates the direction you should point the weapon ::)  Besides that, it is a two-part rune, offering "PROTECTION for the WARRIOR".

The other rune, that some are reading inverted, primarily represents the EARTH but it is combined with another that represents the diety THOR/TOR and also represents GIANT. So the choice is open.  Now the troubling issue for me is the extended line off the crescent. I know of no rune like that.  

As has been said before by others here, craftsmen make errors. This may be a craftsman's error, since only a minority would remember rune and the wealthy commissioner of morko would be one of them, by the cut of his jib.

The jury is out but I cast my vote for "guilty".

Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 05:15:27 PM »
So that is where Winchester got their proof mark.    ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2010, 06:38:19 AM »
When Cornwallis and his British army surrendered to Washington and his rag-tag terriorist, patriot militia (according to which side one was on) at Yorktown in 1781, the British Army Band is supposed to have played the tune, "The World Turned Upside Down" (poor chaps!):'(  The Colonial's are said to have rubbed it in by playing, "Yankee Doodle Dandy";D  which had been the derogatory tune the British had always aimed at the "rag-tag terrorists" during the War For Independence :P  What goes around, comes around! 8)

The point I am introducing here, as obtuse as I seem to be making it, is that perhaps we had better change our way of thinking' in light of the possibility that your Jesus, isn't on the Morko gun. :o  Your world has been turned upside down.

Stay tuned. :-X  

Maeve and I are going out to play soccer now. ;)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2010, 08:24:58 AM »
Wilson! ;D
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2010, 10:55:29 AM »
"Odin" (Scandinavian), "Woden "(Anglo-Saxon) and  "Wednesday" as far as you are concerned ;D, was chief of the gods and was regarded by the Anglo-Saxons as the ancestor of their kings, a belief still current in the Middle Ages.

By the "early" Middle Ages, his position in the Germanic pantheon was secure. To later poets and artists, he was "The High One" and "Lord of the Spear" and "The All Father".

Here is a 13th c. manuscript which traces the genealogy from Adam, through Woden to Henry II.

He resembles Mr. Morko :o

The "birth" of the world.

In the beginning, all living things emerged from the primeval ice.  

First, the GIANT (remember the "P" rune that formed the tail of the EARTH "W"). He was named "YMIR" whose body was to become the EARTH (remember the  EARTH rune "W" with the tail "I") and his blood was to become the sea. This confirms the meaning of the rune to the rear of ODIN's head.  It stands for YMIR the GIANT who is the EARTH.

Some sources have the "P" with its "th" sound, meaning THOR/TOR but in Anglo-Saxon, it comes across as GIANT too.

More to come!

BTW...Maeve won. :(

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2010, 11:19:34 AM »
That is some great work ! Thanks
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2010, 12:25:24 PM »
Well I just spent 2 hours typing the conclusion with attachments and this crud-hopping site ate it. GONE! It said I was timed out. Everything that has to be rewritten.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2010, 12:35:41 PM »
I'll at least add the attachment.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2010, 12:38:11 PM »
When you have long texts to post, you should create the text in WordPad or Notepad, then copy and paste it into the post window.  No timeouts in Notepad.

Also, if the text is still on the screen when you get the timeout message, cut it and save it in Notepad or WordPad.  Then you can start another post and insert it without retyping.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2010, 12:55:24 PM »
Oh yea thar stuff happens all the time ....."are you sure you want to leave the page ?"

I called comcast once they acted like they never heard of this "timed out crap" gosh sir I geuss we cant help you .... I'm thinking oh yea you could help me ...... "pull your own spleen out and I'll say Gosh lady I never heard of that B4 ."

That mad LP ?  ;D

Thanks for doing all this , I hope it is getting saved by the museum as I am hearing FAR more explanation on this here than anywhere else .

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2010, 02:06:53 PM »
George, the only pad I know at my age is a heat-pad. I don't know computers.

O.K.. The sites that Douglas gave us have clear pictures of morko. You can see for yourselves (above) that the flora is clear.  The one side has what appears to be a full bloom and the opposite side has what appears to be the base without fronds. There may be a reason that eludes to the TREE OF LIFE.

YGGDRASIL is the WORLD ASH...the TREE OF LIFE....the tree that all things rest upon. ODINS totem is the RAVEN and it rests in the upper branches.  See one of my attachments. The CROSS attachment is also Anglo-Saxon and has foliage too, like YGGDRASIL. One of ODIN's names is YGG and the World Tree's name is ODIN'S HORSE.

The use of the WORLD TREE in a text, can be a substitution for the name of ODIN.

The death of the world will occur when the wolf FENRIR and his brood will roam the world spreading death. YGGDRASIL upon which all things rest, will be shaken and the gods will perish and a new race will inherit the earth.

Were the leaves shaken off the symbol on the one side of morko?  Is this morko gun prophetic? Was the owner part of a group or just heavy into mythology. Maybe he was a 14th c. "Tea Bagger"? :-\

I'm not taking chances. I'm cutting this off and beginning again below.

See all of the images I've attached above.

Richard The Gun-Shy

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2010, 02:38:35 PM »
Now comes the difficult part.  I began this by saying that; "what was sited as poor latin with backward letters, is not medieval latin. It is Anglo-Saxon script".

I've been working with rune, medieval latin and Norse mythology for 50 years; so I had a clue as to what was being remarked upon and what to expect without having looked at what is on the gun.

Here it is in a nut shell. When the Saxons in Germany were being converted to Christianity in 820 +-, the oath was recorded in a mixture of latin and Saxon; the later written in a script based upon the latin alphabet, with gothic lettering but also with additional letters for purely Germanic sounds.

BTW: The Norse Satan is LOKI and ODIN is the precurser of Father Christmas.

The man who commissioned morko in the 14th c. was no light-weight.

I think you know now what morko is and what morko is not.  I'm sure there are some who will not agree but machs nix mit me. I have no agenda and nothing to prove or disprove. I'm just offering my 2 cents worth.

I'll try to do more. It's the least I can do for Gary's work. Telling him that his work is great, hardly covers his talent. Gofuhvit Garyola.

Richard the Slightly Less Pissed ;D

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
This is very interesting!  I'm really glad you're breaking it down.  Please keep breaking down the rest of the symbols/runes as you can, and if you come up with any theories as to what connects them that may explain who and why the Morko was made, I'd love to know them as well!

When you type a long post, you don't need to copy and paste it into anything else to save it.  Just copy it, and your computer will save it to the clipboard (working memory), which you can then paste if the system times out.  You can just highlight your whole post (or press [Ctrl]+[a]), then copy (right click\copy or [Ctrl]+[c] or Edit menu\copy).  If it times out, start the post over and paste it in (right click\paste or [Ctrl]+[v] or Edit menu\paste).

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2010, 03:12:30 PM »
Wow LP , this is near unbelievable ! I was almost ready to order two of whatever you were drinking . ;D LP  ;D it all sounds poetic !

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2010, 03:37:06 PM »
What surprises me the most is that as old as this gonne is dated to, the museum never got it to someone else that could provide this information.  Most of the old gonnes don't have any markings on them, so you'd think they would have been chomping at the bit to get a language/culture expert to investigate it.  Given the amount of work undertaken to have all the characters on this gonne, you know it's probably important.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2010, 04:31:39 PM »
GCBP,
Posession is 9/10 of the game.  After that, the 1/10 remaining is educational information. They have posession and that's what counts in the grand scheme of things.  

You're right.  You would think that the obvious markings would peak an interest?  Perhaps they do know.  Putting something like morko on display without a clear explaination, to me, it's like wearing shoes with the laces untied.  

From what I gather, the piece is in storage because they have so much.  We cannot fathom that line of reasoning because we have a real interest in the piece but how many would just stroll past the display case with hardly a glance?

Besides, people do not read anymore.  TV has killed the written word and when they put TV in bars, conversation and communication ended. I do not have television in my home.  We have been invited to homes where the TV was left blaring while we tried to have a conversation.

My cardiologist told me that if I keep taking my pills, I could live into my 90s. I asked him which ones I could cut back on and maybe eliminate. :-\

Civility is dead; common sense isn't common; entertainment is vulgar and language is ......aaah forget it.  You know what I'm driving at.

rc

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2010, 05:02:39 PM »
I feel like I need a shower after that  . ;D

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2010, 01:00:56 AM »
The point I am introducing here, as obtuse as I seem to be making it, is that perhaps we had better change our way of thinking' in light of the possibility that your Jesus, isn't on the Morko gun. :o

Anathema, a pox, and maybe even a flat tractor tire upon "Richard the Crispy" says I...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2010, 01:17:24 AM »
television , whats that ??
I havent had one in the last 7 years or so
thrown them all away when my son stoped looking at cartoons
the news I check at my computer
it probably was the best thing I did in my life
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2010, 03:23:30 AM »
Yo Victor!
I can take the heat ;D   I run a smoker too::)   Rent "Name Of The Rose" :o   Here's part of my collection of cultural curios that go back thousands of years :D   I'm prepared for a myriad of European tribal groups ;)  and religious fanatics :-*

"Fascination" is a fascinating study 8)

Richard the Prepared :P

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2010, 04:54:58 AM »
Dan,
You had written in another post that the morko was inscribed with, "Ave Maria" (Hail Mary). Where did you get that information from??????

Here's the 14th c. lumination I have framed on my dining room wall. As I had written before, I translated it and will use it as a guide. It was collected in the south of France and will serve our purpose.

I'm on my way to do the monthly food shopping. A trip of 150 miles.

As the "Groper" says. "Aaaal be bach".

rc

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2010, 07:31:46 AM »
that info comes from the historical muse'um in stockholm
they believe the writing is phrases from ave maria
either misspelled or misunderstand

but I have read somewhere that it was both latin and ancient german language used on it ,
sorry dont remember where I read it
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2010, 08:22:17 AM »
Yo Victor!
I can take the heat ;D   I run a smoker too::)   Rent "Name Of The Rose" :o   Here's part of my collection of cultural curios that go back thousands of years :D   I'm prepared for a myriad of European tribal groups ;)  and religious fanatics :-*

"Fascination" is a fascinating study 8)

Richard the Prepared :P

But what about the Spanish Inquisition?

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2010, 12:19:56 PM »
Anathema, ............. 

Victor,
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for expanding my vocabulary, (you're a swell guy in my book) and I want you to know that I for one do not mind having to keep a search engine open while I'm reading your posts; you know, just in case I've got to look up an unfamiliar word. :P  At first I thought you were talking about our National musical song thing. ::)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2010, 03:16:52 PM »
Dan,
It has nothing to do with the "Ave Maria" (Hail Mary) prayer. I believe it is ancient German (Anglo-Saxon) and not even medieval church Latin.  The text seems to be war-like. One of the words seems to be derived from "punish".

Victor,
Rent "Name Of The Rose".  I'm viewing it for the umteenth time this evening. It's inspirational.

I have my two Latin dictionaries working. Actually, the 2,019 page one is my wife's and the 511 page one is mine. Problem is, as I had suspected, it does not  seem to be pure Latin and the script is not exactly Palmer method penmanship :-\  It's tough breaking into; like a code.  I've got my mojo working.

r

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2010, 03:20:22 PM »
Maybe it's Navaho. ;D
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2010, 04:06:52 PM »
if you could solve that mystery Im sure there would be plenty of people at the historical museum in stockholm who would be very very happy

I remember that you solved the mysteri with cannonmn:s scottish cast bronze piece
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2010, 09:56:45 PM »

It has nothing to do with the "Ave Maria" (Hail Mary) prayer.

BLLLLAAAAAAHHHHHCH!!! (rends garment, beats chest, throws dirt in the air)

That's it.... No HOT STEAK (stake?) for you. All you're worthy of is a COLD CHOP!

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2010, 10:10:16 PM »
Anathema, ............. 

Victor,
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for expanding my vocabulary, (you're a swell guy in my book) and I want you to know that I for one do not mind having to keep a search engine open while I'm reading your posts...

No problem, Boom. You needn't run the search engine out of gas on my account though; I don't know too many $10 words.  ;)

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2010, 02:16:41 AM »
My grandfather kept a dictionary at hand -  and used it often.

The New English Dictionary has the objective of recording EVERY definition/use of EVERY word in the English language.  Volume "A" is about 8" thick. 
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)