Author Topic: bottom pour - rate of flow  (Read 598 times)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
bottom pour - rate of flow
« on: July 25, 2010, 08:46:07 AM »
I've been using a (insert whatever here, in this case it's a 20 lb Lyman 20yrs old).

On occasion I would have to take the paper clip held by pliers and clean out the nozzle.

THIS time I must have done a better job than EVER before because the flow greatly increased.  So much  so that the bullets that I'd worked up for (insert your favorite, in this case it was using a 215gr 41mag mould for .405 Winchester target loads) cast VERY differently.

My point is this.  I would like to see a lead pot made with a removeable nozzle, with inserts of various sizes, so that it could be tailored to little .22 bullets and big .458 bullets.

I think that one of the benefits to dipping by hand is that  one (knowingly or not) can regulate the rate of flow to match the volume of the cavity.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline calvon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: bottom pour - rate of flow
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 09:43:53 AM »
The Magma Master Pot has removable orifices. Without knowing for sure, I'd guess that you could get orifices from Magma drilled to whatever size you might want. While that isn't the interchangeable orifices you speak of, it may well be a way to get what you want.

Offline WayneS

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 12:03:54 PM »
Don't know for sure but I'll bet the nozzle is "built in" to the pot, there for not removable, maybe the pare sticking out side the houseing could be threaded and custom nozzles made and threaded   to screw onto the OME nozzle. ???

Offline Larry Gibson

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 11:27:35 AM »
The rate of flow IS adjustable on the Lyman Mag 20.  The stop screw for the lever is the adjustment.  Screw it out to increase the flow and in to decreasethe flow.  The change you noticed probably was because that adjustment had changed.

Larry Gibson

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 02:04:44 PM »
I have a Lyman, a Saeco, and a RCBS, they are all screw adjustable.
H08