Author Topic: 2 good then load opens upl  (Read 481 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
2 good then load opens upl
« on: July 28, 2010, 04:24:47 PM »
Is it regular for your first two shots to be good and the next two to open up. Seams that once the barrel gets even a little hot performance goes way down. I know different powders are hotter then others and 90 deg temps dont help. It is a fluted bull barrel.243 should I be expecting more or is this customary. have done the washer to float the barrels so they are not touching.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 2 good then load opens upl
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 04:33:04 PM »
Shoot it without the forend and see if it does the same thing, if it shoots good, then you need to work on the forend, see forend fit in the FAQs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 04:58:52 PM »
Is it regular for your first two shots to be good and the next two to open up. Seams that once the barrel gets even a little hot performance goes way down. I know different powders are hotter then others and 90 deg temps dont help. It is a fluted bull barrel.243 should I be expecting more or is this customary. have done the washer to float the barrels so they are not touching.

Like Tim said, with my BC .45-70, I have to keep the screw loose and pull down slightly on the front edge of the forearm.  Also, if shooting multiple groups it's best to let it cool about 5 min between groups in my experience.  My short colt barrel doesn't seem as sensitive to it.  8)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 05:55:37 PM »
I get 3 from the 223 then it's gone till it cools,

1 from the 7-08, subsequent shot's group well but that group is 3-4" higer than the first. Guess which shot the scope will be set for?
found elsewhere

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 07:47:11 AM »
I hit the range last night with the H@R 243 cal. I find for some strange reason 100 gainers are finicky but they will group o.k. 3 shot under a 1"
I also see the 90 grains and under bullet weight will tack drive 3 holes before the 4th rounds walks about 3/4" out of the group.
I think I am going to take a different approach to the H@R and start with the low end charge but shoot about 20 thou off the lands and see what group it will turn out with the 100 grain bullets
My Remington SPR has the 1 in 9 1/4 and she will take drive 100 grain bullet all day.I shot that gun as much as 5 rounds and still after the barrel warms up it still will shoot the same POI
The shim I placed with the J@B is still there

Offline NFG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 08:44:11 AM »
One thing I would suggest and STRONGLY advise for EVERYONE...before you start banging away...is to bed the chamber in steel epoxy.  Just a small bed of epoxy along both frame rails...it takes about a hour, it will center the barrel and position it the same place everytime you close it, it will take out all the "normal" slop and will make thing so much easier when you do start load development...THEN full bed the forearm groove.  I've had better luck with a full bedding job on the forearm or making a hanger, installing a pillar and locking the forearm to ONE point, metal to metal, than all the other ways ...but that is so argumentative I hesitate to even mention it...it starts up a brouhaa that has no point.

90% of the Handi users AND everyday shooter don't understand that 0.005" of movement...ANY movement in ANY part of the system will cause a 1" shift in POI at 100 yds.

NO Handi I own EXCEPT those that I have bedded the frame rails returns to the same place eveytime when they are closed...and even the bedded ones aren't perfect, but DON'T flop around.

Freds way of shimming the lug also helps but still leaves gaps...I can still feel looseness with the one I shimmed and that is with the shims dragging on the frame sides.  But try them, it might work for you.

I read so many accounts of people being disappointed in their groups, but I don't read too many accounts of HOW they solved their problems and some getting disgusted.

Handi barrels aren't the best in the world and temp can cause some problems, but before ANYONE can address the REAL problems of load development, the Handy HAS to have certain basic mods accomplished...or live with the limitations and stop whinning...the Handi has ALWAYS been a cheap, mediocre, questionably accruate rifle, and you CAN'T make a benchrester out of it, but you CAN make it shoot very well...it just takes work.

Luck

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 10:51:43 AM »
I glass-bedded the barrel lug into the forearm stock the forearm sit center of the barrel and it full free floated.I still can run the dollar up and down the barrel even when used at the range so I would say no stock to barrel pressure

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 11:27:30 AM »
NFG, I'm sorry.  I can do a lot of mechanical and physical things, but I won't try to bed a barrel.  It's just a phobia I've got.  I guess I "O" ring em or second guess them.  I'm not a paper puncher, so an inch or two off on a deer or any game isn't critical.....it could even be off in the right direction.  I haven't tracked a deer in almost 20 years, so I believe what I do works for my rifles.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Handi-Fan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »
That's right Petemi moa and modeer or two totally different things aren't they??? I worry about moa when I'm shootin fleas off the squirrels ::) ;D

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 04:12:51 PM »
NFG, I'm sorry.  I can do a lot of mechanical and physical things, but I won't try to bed a barrel.  It's just a phobia I've got.  I guess I "O" ring em or second guess them.  I'm not a paper puncher, so an inch or two off on a deer or any game isn't critical.....it could even be off in the right direction.  I haven't tracked a deer in almost 20 years, so I believe what I do works for my rifles.

Pete
That's right Petemi moa and modeer or two totally different things aren't they??? I worry about moa when I'm shootin fleas off the squirrels ::) ;D

AIN'T THAT THA TRUTH !!!! ;D
these are hunting guns.... not sleepers         first shot from a cold barrel... ifin ya know what your do'n, thats all that counts
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.