Author Topic: Topper M48  (Read 1466 times)

Offline jwal

• Trade Count: (0)
Topper M48
« on: July 29, 2010, 10:50:09 AM »
Guys, just picked up a H&R Topper M48 in 12ga. I am trying to find out the year it was made. I went to the link in the archives, but am still unsure. It looks old, and with a real wood stock, not the pallet wood. Can someone help please. The serial number is: H 66XXX. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jeff

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Topper M48
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 11:52:26 AM »
See the FAQs and Help sticky build year code list.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jwal

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 12:02:45 PM »
I have determined it was built in 1947. Now, I need some help. I am trying to get the gun cleaned up. It was a friend of mines fathers. Two problems with it.

1. It had camo tape wrapped around the barrell and forarm. I removed the tape, but the bottom layer of the tape is still there. I can tell it has been there many years. It is dry, but on there good. Any ideas how to remove it without removind the bluing, or finish on the wood/

2. After removing the tape, I can see why it was there. The post that is supposed to be on the bottom of the barrell, that snaps into a hole in the forarm, has broken off. It is actually in the forarm. Any ideas on the proper way to put this back on the barrell/

Thanks is advance for any help,

Jeff

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM »
Mineral Spirits, WD-40, or acetone are good for removing the sticky stuff.  I'd have the post silver soldered back on.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline jwal

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 12:43:52 PM »
Thanks for the help Swampman.

Jeff