Author Topic: lifespan of treestands  (Read 671 times)

Offline anweis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
lifespan of treestands
« on: August 02, 2010, 07:16:49 AM »
I have an aluminum Viper climber, which is stored in a dry place when not hunting and i expect this stand to last 20 years at least. However, i am installing this year two ladder stands, steel, which will be left installed because they will be in good places and because they are too much work to haul, install, disasemble, and store.
What is the expected safe lifespan for one of these? I've found an old ladder stand in the woods, rusted and shabby, which made me think...
Thanks.

Offline jhm

Re: lifespan of treestands
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 04:12:43 AM »
     If you do a good job od placement and keep it out of water it should last several years, inspect it of course B-4 using and if any repairs are needed corect it b-4 using, we are building a all metal frame box stand for me that will be insulated and installed 14 ft. up on a metal tower, Im 63 and Im sure it will outlast ME.   Jim

Offline okieshooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • shoot for the moon, land in the stars
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 06:47:41 AM »
I have left metal ladders out for the past 3 years and they are fine BUT the ratchet straps dry rot every year. The first time you climb them each year be careful and have a spare strap with you to replace the old one if you have the nylon straps, or whatever they are, holding it to the tree. Be safe.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 07:17:36 AM »
If it is steel, be sure you prime and paint it very good, and it should last several years.  May want to use a good chain or metal strap and it will last longer. 

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 07:24:23 AM »
Now, that is what i needed to hear; i did not think of the nylon straps rotting. Thank you.

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 08:33:57 AM »
DEPENDS...(don't you love that!)

In a salty environment, Salt Lake is within two miles of me, a shop painted China-made, "American Hunter" 2-person steel stand with three part ladder and independent seat just doesn't hold up (I had four of them).  Not much China-made stuff does.

The strap rot as mentioned is problematic.  Be sure you use good Proof Chain to secure the seat to the tree or it might "grow legs and wander off" to someone else's property, which is also problematic.

The expanded metal seat and foot rest will corrode at the edges where they were welded.  So too will the welds at the ladder rungs, which are the most insidious problems.  They are hollow tubes, not painted on the inside, and tend to rot from inside out and on the underside where the dew and rain lingers longest.  Rungs do not give much of a visual of the corrosion and then let go when weight is placed on them.  Not good when you are 15 feet up.

I recommend an extension ladder of KNOWN stability be used when testing a metal tree stand that has been in residence in the woods for an extended period.  That way you transfer load from the extension ladder to the rung of the tree stand slowly.  Place the extension up against the stand ladder, climb the extension and slowly rock your feet over onto the tree stand transferring load one foot at a time.  If a tree stand rung lets go, you are already standing on the extension ladder.

Stands that are made from "substantial" metal such as 2" x 2" x 3/16" thick angle steel (and up) will last and last, but like all metals, they too should be cautiously used and investigated before applying 100% of your load to any rung.