Author Topic: Myths and Old Wives tales regarding guns, shooting, hunting  (Read 1968 times)

Offline billmaly

• Trade Count: (0)
Myths and Old Wives tales regarding guns, shooting, hunting
« on: December 01, 2003, 09:30:29 AM »
Earlier today, someone mentioned myths and old wives tales and how they often surround guns and shooting. We've all got some "fact", passed on to us from an old trusted family member or hunting buddy, that is just plain not true. Some of us get past these items, some of us fly straight into the face of reason and continue to confound the laws of logic and common sense!  :-D

One that comes to mind is the old warning of "Never" dry fire a gun. True for some guns, totally false for others. It seems to me that words like "never" and "always" are sure warning signs of what could be a myth. (Obviously, "NEVER point a gun at something you don't wish to destroy!" is NOT being discussed here, sometimes, never and always are important words!!!)

Myths displacing facts is a real grind on me. So, let's open it up for discussion....what are your myths/preconceived notions regarding guns and hunting, and what facts have you discovered to set them aside?

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Myths and Old Wives tales regarding guns, s
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 12:10:34 PM »
"Don't ever take a leak anywhere around where you are hunting cuz the scent will scare away all the bucks".   Gee, I been relieving myself for years and never saw a deer spook yet from the scent.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 03:17:17 PM »
This one will get it started. The (insert favorite cartridge) is a great brush bucking cartridge. IMHO if it's not a Browning 50 cal. forget it. Some may fare better than others but none are consistant enough to work reliably.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2003, 04:11:50 PM »
dave,
I dont mind shooting trough brush as long as the brush is closer to the deer then it is to me. this way the bullet will have lass a chance to deflect.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003, 02:52:09 AM »
Rick, I too hunt brush and I try to shoot through the openings where I can find them. If the shot doesn't look good I pass or wait for a better one. I don't blindly expect the bullet to penetrate a wall of brush as some do. This is not to imply you do.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline rickyp

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2003, 05:04:42 AM »
you are right I do not just shoot to shoot. i will waite for a good shot but if i get  a good side shot and ther is a small branch or leaves only a few feet away from the deer and I still can see the 'target spot"  I will take the shot. the few feet from the brush to the deer will not make a miss.

Offline billmaly

Fuel to the fire...
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2003, 06:26:16 AM »
This one is sure to fire up the debate.

"A gun has to always be cleaned before it's put away!".

For some, cleaning is a cult like activity that demands procedures and protocols that make a surgeon scrubbing in seem positively unsanitary. To others (me), knock off the chunks, swab it down, and put it away.

I usually don't like cleaning guns, it's a dirty, smelly chore. It presents a host of oppurtunties to break or lose small parts, to thump or push against sights/scopes, knock things out of alignment and to generally wreak havoc with all the hard work and time you spent getting the damn thing dirty. After cleaning the gun, the only way to be sure that it's still 100% is to go shoot it, MAKING IT DIRTY AGAIN!!! *&#$&*!!!!

However, I do realize that it needs to be done, so when things get crusty or obviously dirty, it's time for a tear down and I do get in and take care of business. But, after a box of shells spent on trap, or a handful of pistol bullets shot at paper in nice weather, I am more likely to run a patch down the barrel (which is why I love Boresnakes!), wipe off the outside and call it good. Oh, and I am not discussing black powder here....for black powder, cleaning is obviously required.

There, I've confessed my sins.  :D Tell me why I am wrong!  :shock:

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2003, 01:58:03 PM »
billmaly, I will join in and agree.  I shoot A LOT, and I don't always clean my guns after a session, although they do always get the boresnake, or at the very least, a shot of break-free down the barrel.  When hunting I prefer a lightly fouled bore because my rifles always throw the first clean shot off, then group great.  I shot my .454 Casull today for the first time in about a month, I put 60 rounds of cast through it the previous session and one jacketed to take some of the leading out.  I took it out with the bipod today and proceeded to take out 12 oil bottles with 12 shots at various distances, the closest 25 yds, the farthest 150 yds., and quite a few in between, I then spent ten rounds on a Prestone Anti-freeze bottle at 100 yds, give or take, and put them all within 3 inches.  I'll clean it tonight, but my rule is, if you're spending more time cleaning your guns than shooting your guns, you're spending way too much time worrying about your barrel being dirty than enjoying shooting it!  I will confess that the excuse "I need to clean my gun honey" is a good way to get out of changing diapers once in a while. :)  I can't wait until our little angel is old enough to introduce to a .22 RF, she's 7 months now and doing great!
Selmer
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
Myth, it's bad to dryfire a centerfire rifle
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2003, 02:00:19 PM »
Here's one to stir up the conversation!  I've read that it's ok to dryfire a centerfire rifle as many times as I want, and I have, it's great practice without burning powder and I've never had a problem.  I'll qualify it by saying that dryfiring a rimfire or shotgun isn't a real good idea.  I don't know the specifics, but I know that I've broken enough firing pins on .22's and shotgun without dryfiring to know that dryfiring has to be hard on them,  if someone could explain why, I'd appreciate it.
Selmer
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline willis5

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2003, 06:41:59 AM »
I think that one of the main reasons dry fire is so taboo is because people are worried that someone may "dry fire" without checking the chamber/mag/barrel direction etc. If dry firing is "bad" to do in one's mind then one might be less likely to pull the trigger when not intending to shoot...
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline SBF

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.members.cox.net/cruffler
Re: Myth, it's bad to dryfire a centerfire rifle
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2003, 10:24:55 AM »
Quote from: Selmer
I don't know the specifics, but I know that I've broken enough firing pins on .22's and shotgun without dryfiring to know that dryfiring has to be hard on them,  if someone could explain why, I'd appreciate it.
Selmer

I don't dry fire my rimfires.  With the firing pin being on the outside edge I've been told that it might hit the face of the chamber and A) peen a nice little notch in the chamber face or B) break the firing pin due to the added "abuse" of hitting something hard, not soft like the rim of a brass cartridge.
SmallBoreFreak and Cruffler

Offline Savage

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2003, 07:33:57 AM »
Can't even begin to tell you how many times I've dryfired my weapon in the military--------We used to spend an hour or two "snapping in" before each range session. If I dryfire anything now, it's with a good "snap cap"
They are inexpensive, and good insurance against damage.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2003, 08:59:24 AM »
Here's a good one...."deer never look up so treestand hunters have it made".  Bull butter.

Offline cdnclub45

• http://www.cdnbearoutfitters.com
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2003, 02:39:10 PM »
Heres one:  Big heavy bullets will bash through almost all brush,  hense the term 'good brush gun'.  In truth, they are worse than the smaller calibers.  
One more:  I always aim for the heart 'cause that'll drop 'em where they stand.  Crappola!

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2003, 06:53:46 PM »
Here's one...

It is claimed that the .300 Savage cartridge is "difficult to reload due to its short neck".

Bull-pucky!!!

I've been reloading .300 Savage cartridges for a good many years and NEVER had a SINGLE problem reloading them.  They are no different to reload that any normal center-fire rifle cartridge.  I even trim all my .300 Savage cartridges to their "trim-to-length" minimum length (1.865 inches) each time BEFORE I reload them.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2004, 02:26:01 PM »
i got a .22 that has been excessivly dry fired. there's a little burr on the chamber mouth. i  can't see how dry firing a centerfire wolud damage it.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline Bushnell Boy

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.hotspothunting.com/common/showsite.asp?dovend=0&id=29555
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2004, 01:21:21 PM »
I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me on this one but I've always been told that old deer meat is tougher than a young deer. I disagree. I think the toughness comes from a deer straining all its muscles before it dies. So if you shoot it right and the deer doesn't run very far it is going to be much more tender than a deer you have to chase for two hours throught the woods.

As for the guys who don't clean there weapons because they don't enjoy it I think thats crazy. Do you not change your oil in your truck because you don't enjoy it. For me I worked hard to buy these tools/toys. I take pride in keeping my weapons clean.
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Two roads diverged in a wood, and --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2004, 08:50:51 PM »
I'll agree with not cleaning right after shooting, depending on weather conditions, and I mean black powder also.

I work off shore and work 14 and 14, I shoot a lot of cap and ball revolvers and while I'm in they are lucky to get a brush through the barrel and a wipe down.  I do tear them down and give them a good cleaning befor putting away to head back to the rig though.  But on black powder I try to season the bore with wonder lube and it seems to help.  Haven't had a problem with rust yet.

On the other hand my hi wall shooting black powder carteriges gets a good bore scrubing after shooting.  Seems the more expensive the gun the better care it gets!

Hears one I've heard, cap and ball revolvers are bad about chain firing.  Crapola, I've put enough rounds down range over the years to start a lead mine and have never had a chain fire.  I always use an over sized ball and most times use either a wad under the ball or lube over the ball, but that's more to keep fouling soft than to prevent chain fires.  A ball ramed in the chamber is not that much differant than a bullit shoved in a brass case.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2004, 08:38:02 PM »
Quote from: longwinters
"Don't ever take a leak anywhere around where you are hunting cuz the scent will scare away all the bucks".   Gee, I been relieving myself for years and never saw a deer spook yet from the scent.

long

I know someone that actually takes leaks "on" scrapes and then covers em back up with leaves, he says he does it to "tick em off" and causes them to return more often  evidentlly it works because He kills his fair share of deer every year.....for the book I have never triied it.

Yes I DO keep my firearms clean, out of respect mostly, but also because I depend on them and just have more faith in a well maintained tool than a mistreated one.

"NEVER go hunting without checking your shoes for dog crap." I some what believe this one because deer are generally cautious of coyotes and other predators, but I have found a lot of coyote/wild dog scat in the woods that still hold a lot of deer.

"NEVER sit on a log without first checking for snakes and such." I faithfully practice this.

"ALWAYS leave the woods to eat lunch." I shot a nice buck one year after I sit my bologna w/mustard sandwich on the ground

"ALWAYS leave an area alone after you spook deer/have deer see you." Deer are VERY curious and will a lot of times circle back around to get a better look...

I could go on and on......

Just remember these cause they ARE true..."ALWAYS stop when you see a crow overhead, they can/will alert wild animals when they see you, they caw and everything looks..." "ALWAYS stop when you see a bird fly off in terror, unless you scared it something else is close."  "ALWAYS listen to the forest, she never lies."
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2004, 04:56:36 AM »
How about  "That 12 ga. will knock you down unless you brace yourself" or "You gotta hang on to that 44 or it will come right back and bust your head" Of course I might be to blame a little when it comes to lying about the power of a 44mag :cry:  I shot a 14 point whitetail that weighed 240 field dressed. And seeing that my truck wasn't running at the time .I took the wife's conversion van :roll:  Well I couldn't put the deer inside ,and the ladder on to the roof of the van wouldn't hold me (210 plus the deer) Sooooo I cut the deer in half right at the bottom of the rib cage.When I got home I pulled both pieces down and layed them together to take a picture. I live on a pretty busy street  and people started to stop and come back to look at this big deer.They  all had the same questions (what you shoot it with?) I didn't relize until a black man asked,  and when I told him a 44mag. handgun ,He just looked amazed and said "MAN!  IT BLEW HIM IN HALF!"  I  just looked at him and said "Yep" :wink: -- Willy

Offline rickyp

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2004, 07:19:02 AM »
I live on a pretty busy street and people started to stop and come back to look at this big deer.They all had the same questions (what you shoot it with?) I didn't relize until a black man asked, and when I told him a 44mag. handgun ,He just looked amazed and said "MAN! IT BLEW HIM IN HALF!" I just looked at him and said "Yep"  -- Willy

That is tooooo funnny :-D  :-D