Author Topic: Impact Bullet Puller - Shatter [Tales from the Bench]  (Read 999 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Impact Bullet Puller - Shatter [Tales from the Bench]
« on: August 03, 2010, 08:18:57 AM »
Anybody have an impact bullet puller shatter on use?

I am amazed that striking the concrete floor a resounding blow with a plastic hammer doesn't shatter the hammer to bits.  Over time, it must be getting strain hardened and will eventually let go.

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Impact Bullet Puller - Shatter [Tales from the Bench]
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 08:35:30 AM »
I have an early "Quenetics" (spell?) brand hammer puller that's still going. I just recently used it to pull some 44 mag apart. Mine's gotta be close to 30 years old.

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:05:59 AM »
I have a RCBS that in the pass I have hammered on the cement floor, and piece of RR rail that I have.  I discontinued the practice last year after reading the direction.  Basically the recommendation is to hammer it against wood.  I happen to have a piece of 4x6 inch X 3 feet Douglas Fir that has found a home next to the bench.  The Fir was scrape.
I did a little reading after another loader busted one.

Until recently I had a general purpose hammer with plastic end caps.  I have been abusing it for 40 years.  Rather than use the term shatter, it crumbled into a number of chunks in a pile next to what I was working on.  Nice to know that there was not a bunch of splinters flying.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:24:06 AM »
I have an old Quinetics that I've been beating the S*** out of for 30 years on a cast iron anvil.
Still no problem. Same with a newer Lyman.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:02:58 AM »
I don't use em.  I use diagonal cutters and my press with die removed, works great.

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 10:13:49 AM »
Anybody have an impact bullet puller shatter on use?

Nope... mine don't get used that much...  8)

:D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 11:02:15 AM »
I have a lyman and its got visible cracks in the plastic where it's supposed to impact.  I don't use it at all anymore since I bought a hornady cam lock bullet puller and collets for every caliber I own.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 04:22:20 PM »
Just pulled 40 .460 rounds tonight. 260 grainers with heavy crimp. Neighbor came over to see what the 'ell I was doing. I used a 12'' piece of oak board on the driveway while sitting on the steps. Wore my shooting muffs to save my ears and didn't realize how much racket I was makin' pullin' them ornery suckers. ;D

"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 04:38:24 PM »
Some years ago I had one from Midway shatter when I used it. I put up some negative feedback on their customer evaluation page and got a phone call saying that they did have a batch that were brittle, and they sent me a new one. That one is showing some wear and tear, but still works when I need it. 
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 04:55:25 PM »
+1 to using them on wood rather than concrete etc.  Keep a 4" section of 4x4 and hammer away - I use the end grain, but I don't know that it matters.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline KansasPaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 05:13:07 PM »
I've never had a problem with my RCBS bullet puller but it really doesn't get used often. That said, every time I do use it I make sure to have eye protection on - just the thought of whacking a plastic "hammer" hard enough to cause gravity to pull the bullet from it's case makes me wonder what would happen if the plastic failed.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 05:26:52 PM »
Mine got a real work out when I pulled 60 bullets from Belmont brand re-manufacture .303 British ammo.  The 4x6 took a real beating.

I also tested neck tension on some cases using bullets without a cannulure.  If a case will hold a bullet for the three wacks I feel the neck tension is adequate using that re-sizing die.

Eye protection is wise! 8)
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 07:03:25 PM »
My wife bought a pile of .38 special ammo at a gun show in NC about 10 years back---turned out the bullets had no lube on them--leaded up the barrel of 2 revolvers. So am in the process of removing them with a RCBS hammer type puller that I have had for around 30 years. Been beating it on the concrete floor for over 150 rounds so far--no telling how many times I used it before this mess turned up. Still looks great. When I started I told her that she would be buying me another puller--but the need has not arrived yet. I may start using a 2x6 to beat on though after reading the post here.

Then I have to decide if I am going to lube the bullets or make fishing weights out of them, and how to go about it if I lube them.

cybin

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 06:18:29 AM »
My Quinetics broke at the handle mount. This was my fault from not striking square on the floor. Now I have it taped on with a short handle and it's still working fine. The collets will wear if you don't really screw the cap tight.

Offline beerbelly

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 06:28:09 AM »
I had one shatter about three weeks ago. When I hit it on a brick I was using, the screw on top that holds the collets and case in place broke into two peaces. I tried hitting it on wood and never got it to pull a bullet.
                               Beerbelly

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 06:54:52 AM »
I prefer to use an RCBS collet puller, it makes recovering the powder so much neater.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 07:55:44 PM »
Well, I tried a couple of friends hammer type pullers over the years, and never liked the results or effort needed.

So, when Hornady came out with their collet puller, I went that way.  Bought what collets I needed plus a few and for other then bullets that do not allow for a good grip with the collet, they are, IMHO the only way to go.

Quick!!!! and clean.

RCBS is probably a fine unit also, but thumbs down on the hammer types.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 03:42:52 AM »
I have used the same one for 10 years, on a cast iron anvil. I once pulled 800 8mm Mauser mil surplus rounds with defective primers, to recover the bullets and powder. Still going strong.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline tvc15

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 04:38:43 AM »
I have discovered 2 things that make a big impact.

1. use a solid base wood or concrete nothing that will allow any vibration

2. Wack the fire out of it. Hammering like Chinaman won't work

TVC15

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 05:08:13 AM »
Close to 40 years ago, I was pulling bullets for my Dad, and had a bullet detonate in an RCBS unit.  The screw on end and the shell casing hit the top of the shop with great force, I got burnt powder in my skin, but the rest of the hammer was intact with the bullet still in it.  I have never used another since, and still don't know, can't explain how or why it happened.  If all else fails, I will use a pair of pliers and the press to pull.

Use eye and face protection in all phases of reloading! ???

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline wncchester

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 06:36:04 AM »
"...had a bullet detonate ..."

A "bullet" ???

Bullet pullers, impact and collet are different tools and need to be used for the correct tasks. 

Collets pull rifle bullets fine because they have some exposed shank to grip but they can easily damage the pulled bullets. 

Impact pullers pull both rifle and pistol bullets just fine and without damage.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Halwg

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 09:17:06 AM »
Most of the units I have seen tell you not to hit them on concrete or metal.  You should use a piece of hardwood.  I use a piece of 1 1/2" thick oak.  Use "sharp" blows, and the most tightly crimped bullet should come loose in 3 - 4 whacks.
The older I get...The better I was.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 09:39:20 AM »
RCBS recommends any non-metallic hard surface, FA recommends end grain wood for the best impact surface, no steel or concrete.

Tim

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/PowerPull_BulletPuller.pdf

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/StaticPages/pdf/Instructions/Bullet_Puller_Instr.pdf
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 04:59:41 PM »
I've been whacking mine on concrete for 30 years. After I wrecked part of the benchtop on the brand new reloading bench I made myself by trying to "save" my puller. I still have the workbench, it still has the chewed up part of the benchtop, but I have always whacked mine on the concrete ever since then.

Works fine. I only use it now when my RCBS collet puller can't get ahold of the bullet, like the .44 cal 240 gr SWC lead bullet I just finished pulling. Not enough surface area for the collet to grab onto.

The worst ammo I ever tried to pull with the hammer was some of the cheap crummy chinese 7.62x39 PLASTIC core bullets you used to get at gunshows. A friend of mine found a box, and brought it to me to take apart and render inert so they didn't just wind up in the trash. I liked to NEVER get them out, just no mass to the bullets.

Offline southernutah

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 11:17:29 AM »
broken 2, one was a Dillon plastic with metal handle, striking end end broke off- other was a new RCBS that the handle broke off. Both replaced under warrenty. Dillion was probaly 10+ years old and had the crap smacked out of it. Most if the problem was the angle I was hittling the floor.  I have a RCBS bullet puller but it  markes the bullets up when pulling.   Now if you want to talk about lose primmers on the floor and a vacume..........

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
Sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, let us hear about the loose primers on the floor and the vacumn!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D

Keep em coming!

CDOC

300 Winmag

Online gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 01:17:22 PM »
Been using a Quinetics puller for 20+ years. Use it on a concrete floor, as well as a 4x4 under the deep freezer. No problems yet.
Now, if you want a story about a primer and a vacum cleaner, I've got one. Had a 3'x4' piece of rug I kept to stand on next to the reloading bench. It was looking pretty nasty, so bought down the vacum cleaner, which was, a Hoover bag type, with bristle's and beaters. Didn't take 3 seconds of vacumming, and I found a primer. When it exploded, I don't know who moved faster, me, or my dog. Never seen an 80+lb German Shepard/Rotwieller mix  run up a set of basement stairs so fast.
The bag was smoking, as it set the dog hair on fire, and I had to take it off and get it outside rather quickly. Now, I sweep the floor with a broom. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman