Author Topic: Heavy crimp and W296  (Read 814 times)

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Heavy crimp and W296
« on: August 03, 2010, 09:59:50 AM »
Any reason to use a heavy crimp when using W296 in the 357 maxi handi rifle?  The footnote of a Win brochure says that if you don't use a heavy crimp you could get a squib load that would be dangerous to user and bystanders.  I assume they mean it could squib an obstruct the barrel, then on the next shot blow up.  I've not crimped any other loads for the maxi, what's you're take on this?

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Heavy crimp and W296
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 11:07:06 AM »
Bobby...

Recommend you follow the advice for a heavy crimp.  When I first started loading for a .44mag using 296 I loaded and crimped like I did for other powders.  Most of the rounds fired fine, but I did have one round where the primer detonated but didn't ignite the powder.

The 240 gr. jacked slug plus a full load of W296 made it 6" down the barrel of my 71/2 inch Ruger.  That slug was a bugger to get out.

After that I started crimping tighter and have never had a repeat of the ftf.

Silvertp

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 01:40:18 PM »
Heavy crimp yes absolutely.  I load H110 in 357 Magnum, 45 Colt and 454 Casull.  I use a heavy crimp not only to prevent bullet jump, but more for proper powder ignition.  Oh, I am sure you realize H110 is the same powder as W296. In order to achieve the best crimp I trim each and every case to exactly the same length.

yooper77

Offline Dill45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 02:42:53 PM »
I often crimp rounds just to get the most consistent ignition even if its a single shot or the recoil isn't that great.  The crimp is that extra bit that will hold the bullet inplace as the powder starts to burn and gets up to proper pressure levels.

H110/W296 are very touchy about the pressure curve they operate at, and need time to build up to it.  Hence the "firm crimp" and also the warning not to load it below 3% of the starting load.  To low of load density will give you fail to fires just as much as a loose crimp.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 03:07:14 PM »
Thanks for the info. gentlemen.  I probably will just stay with the 1680 for the 357maxi, and maybe use the 296 on the 45lc.  With a good crimp of course ;D
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 03:32:35 PM »
Any reason to use a heavy crimp when using W296 in the 357 maxi handi rifle?  The footnote of a Win brochure says that if you don't use a heavy crimp you could get a squib load that would be dangerous to user and bystanders.  I assume they mean it could squib an obstruct the barrel, then on the next shot blow up.  I've not crimped any other loads for the maxi, what's you're take on this?

I've tried crimped and uncrimped loads with quite a few cartridges.  The ONLY time I found an accuracy advantage was with low pressure 45 Colt loads.  I crimp for heavy recoiling rounds to be shot in a heavy recoiling revolver (357 Magnum on up) or a very heavy recoiling magazine fed rifle (300 Win. Mag. on up).  Also, with Barnes bullets, when they're seated they're sometimes loose and a crimp tightens them up.  These scenarios are the only ones in which I crimp.

I don't crimp for cartridges to be shot in single shot weapons including loads with H110/Win. 296 and a variety of other powders.  This includes 500 S&W Magnum loads.  I don't know much about Handi Rifles but, if they can be loaded to the usual SAMI maximum pressure for the cartridges you shooting and you don't try to go for reduced loads, you don't need to crimp and you won't get a squib load.

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 05:57:20 PM »
NEVER use less than stated loads with 296/110. This could lead to detonation upon firing with quite dire results. Yes these powders do need a heavy crimp for proper ignition  and consistancy. Nothing to be skeered of tho, these are fine powders for magnum applications.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 10:13:13 AM »
All my handloads with H110/296 get heavy crimps and magnum primers. I've never had a squib, but have read about them when light crimps or standard primers are used. For my peace of mind, I use heavy crimps for all my .44 mags, and I'm using mostly Unique and WC820 (I ran out of H110 and haven't found any around here to replace it).

Online gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 04:01:08 AM »
I use a Redding profile crimp die. You can adjust it for just a taper crimp, in your case for the Handi, or adjust it down further, and get a slight roll crimp, if your shooting a revolver. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 02:26:11 PM »
Good advice has been given. Aside from that, you may as well schedule a trip to the hardware store and buy a short piece of round stock that will fit down the barrel. 3/8'' to 10mm should serve on a .45. One day you will need to drive out a bullet. When you do, you'll want a rod that will push the bullet without puncturing it. Dont forget to take the edge off and polish up the sides just a bit.