Author Topic: Age of powder  (Read 476 times)

Offline tipiguy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Age of powder
« on: August 03, 2010, 03:49:17 PM »
I have a 1 lb. can of H380 that I have had for 10+ years.  It has been kept in an ammo can so I feel confident about it now having drawn moisture, etc.

My question is does powder get too old to be safe?  I am not planning on using it for max loads but do not want to blow myself up either. Use it or pitch it?

Thanks.
Tipiguy

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Age of powder
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 04:21:14 PM »
If it doesn't look like it is covered in weird talcum or rusty and smells like it is supposed to smell, you know like something with an acetone base, it is alright.  Old powder doesn't get more potent when it goes bad, it just gets lazy.  Most canister powders can be kept for decades if stored in an atmosphere where it is not subjected to high humidity or tempurature fluctuations.  Like I said, if it smells proper (no sour smell) and looks proper it is OK.

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 05:30:14 PM »
Olin published a test on ball powder and it was good for more than thirty years.  The test was limited to the powder they had in storage so it was based on the oldest ball powder.

http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/pdf/msds/msds_w64.pdf

Check item 7.  Storage
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 07:10:38 PM »
I have just about used up a 1 lb can of Bullseye powder that I know is 30 years old or a bit older. Some of my primers are about the same age as well, and they are working just fine. I have kept it stored in my basement, and in 2 out of the three houses I have owned the basements leaked water when it rained a lot. But they were cool most of the time, the wood stove warmed them up--but not excessively.

If it smells good--you should be ok.

cybin

Offline shot1

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 03:10:40 AM »
I have some IMR 4895 that was taken from pulled down US 30-06 military ammo. The last 06 ammo the US military had made was in the 1960's. It shoots just as well and to with in what different lot numbers of the same canister IMR 4895 made today will do. If it does not smell or look funky it should be good to go.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 03:33:49 AM »
I have just about used up a 1 lb can of Bullseye powder that I know is 30 years old or a bit older. Some of my primers are about the same age as well, and they are working just fine. I have kept it stored in my basement, and in 2 out of the three houses I have owned the basements leaked water when it rained a lot. But they were cool most of the time, the wood stove warmed them up--but not excessively.

If it smells good--you should be ok.

cybin
I have some bullseye bought in 76 , also 2400 and unique .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 04:01:15 AM »
I have a 3 lb cardboard canister of Alcan AL-5 that I use for light pistol cartridges.  I think that Alcan has been out of business for 30 years or so!  It has always been stored in the original container and in a reasonable controlled environment. Works great!

Offline tipiguy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 08:14:37 AM »
Sounds good.  Thanks everyone!

tipiguy