Author Topic: Anybody seen this?  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Crow Buster

• Trade Count: (2)
Anybody seen this?
« on: August 03, 2010, 06:18:34 PM »
I noticed today that the breech face on my Ultra Varmint is impressed with the case head.  This isn't merely a witness mark, in a small area left of the firing pin there is a definite impression.  It appears to be a gouge from the primer pocket edge .010"-.015" deep.  I don't load for this caliber (.223), it has only had factory Winchester 45gr. JHP through it since new.  It is a matched set, gun is as it came from the factory.  

Is this normal, or possibly an indication of improper surface hardness on the breech face?

CB

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Anybody seen this?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 06:22:02 PM »
Yes, we have seen this before once.  It may be that the metal has failed and cracked at this point.  Just making an impression is probably unlikely, the breach face is likely cracked.  I remember one of these from a few years back.  I am thinking I would stop shooting it until you get it figured out.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Crow Buster

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 06:36:12 PM »
Great, I just got my first new barrel today and was still on the "new gun buzz" when I discovered this.

CB

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 06:42:21 PM »
I was looking for the old pictures of this type of failure but I can't find them.  It looked very simular to yours, but his had progressed so far that it was difficult to open the action as I recall.  I bet NEF will be all over themselves replacing this one.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 06:55:52 PM »
Send pics of the breech to H&R... like Larry says, they'll likely want to replace it. I wouldn't shoot it anymore.

Spanky

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 07:20:06 PM »
Here it is, blow up the pictures, it looks almost exactly like yours.  Larry

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,113601.0.html

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 08:18:28 PM »
Just out of curiousity... when was your frame manufactured? What are the first 2 letters of the serial number?

Spanky

Offline Crow Buster

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 02:10:10 AM »
The gun is 2005 (serial #HV).  

Those pictures from the other post are very dramatic.  

Mine is not quite as bad.  My brass looks completely normal with some primer flatness, and while it is tough to tell from the photo, it does not appear to be cracked only compressed.  Can't officially tell without a Zyglo or Magna check though.  While this gun gets carried a lot, it's had a very easy short life.  I've shot quite a few chucks with it, but I don't target shoot or burn ammo for kicks.

Suppose I'll forward my pics to H&R, but whatever they say about my frame I'm not giving up the barrel.  It throws .5-.75MOA with white box varmint ammo, plus it's a 1 in 12 ejector.  

This sucks!  Here are a few more angles:

CB

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 05:59:53 AM »
That's really a shame, but I wouldn't shoot it any more, I checked a bunch of mine, and at worst, there's a stain of brass on some that have been shot a lot, but it comes right off leaving no mark on the stand breech face, I'd contact them and get an email address to send the pics to, but they'll probably just have you send it in for replacement. I'm guessing it's a poor casting or wasn't properly heat treated.  :'(

Let us know what happens.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Crow Buster

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 06:15:41 AM »
I appreciate everyone's feed back.  To say I'm bummed out would be an understatement.  Looking at the pictures, first thing I'd say is what knuckle head overloaded the ammo.  But, this gun hasn't even seen mil ball ammo, let alone handloads.

I guess I shot my last woodchuck last night :-[, ironically while test fitting the new 30-06 barrel I just got from Longtom.  Didn't even get to test fire the new barrel yet.

CB

Offline Crow Buster

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 11:03:21 AM »
Update:  Just spoke with H&R, frame was cracked per their inspection.  They replaced the frame, restamped and fit my original barrel.  Gun was in the gallery for test firing when I called, will ship by end of week.  They told me once again that they have zero accessory barrels on hand, won't have any until after the first of the year.  Said it was due to tooling updates.

While it sucks that this happened, I'm very pleased that they listened to my request and fit my original barrel.  That counts for something in my book.

CB

Offline RWK

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 12:06:03 PM »
If you have a machinist in the house, he could fix it by boring the area out than taping it and then make up a threaded filler pc with firing pin hole,install and face area off. Lot of work but if you have nothing to do OK. Rich

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 12:58:21 PM »
That's great news CB, and good that the barrel could be fitted to the new frame, but unfortunately that isn't always the case, the underlug has to be long enough to cut to fit, they don't shim barrels.

If you have a machinist in the house, he could fix it by boring the area out than taping it and then make up a threaded filler pc with firing pin hole,install and face area off. Lot of work but if you have nothing to do OK. Rich

Doubt that would work because the firing pin isn't in line with the bore, it's angled down from above.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/documents/manuals/new/Handi-Rifle.pdf

Offline 26-t

• Retired
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
  • Father and Son At Bonneville SpeedWeek 07
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 01:21:20 PM »
Did you ever have a cartridge with a primer leak on the frame ? Thanks 26-t

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 01:23:37 PM »
Not likely shooting factory ammo.

Tim

I noticed today that the breech face on my Ultra Varmint is impressed with the case head.  This isn't merely a witness mark, in a small area left of the firing pin there is a definite impression.  It appears to be a gouge from the primer pocket edge .010"-.015" deep.  I don't load for this caliber (.223), it has only had factory Winchester 45gr. JHP through it since new.  It is a matched set, gun is as it came from the factory.  

Is this normal, or possibly an indication of improper surface hardness on the breech face?

Offline Crow Buster

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 01:43:13 PM »
Did you ever have a cartridge with a primer leak on the frame ? Thanks 26-t

Nope, just flat primers but that seems to be pretty normal these days with white box.  No flowing into the firing pin hole or gas leakage.  No issues at all actually, just visually noticed the breech face when I had the barrel off.

CB

Offline Crow Buster

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 08:23:39 AM »
Final update:  Picked my ultra up from William's Gunsight on Saturday.  The receiver was new, but it came back with my original barrel and stock per my request.  Not only that, but the trigger broke exceptionally crisp and light on the new receiver.  I remounted the scope and checked for zero, now I'm ready to go.

I was expecting to be charged for the shipping and FFL fee, but all was waved.  While this started out rough, it turned out great and I'm very pleased with H&R's response.  Even the packaging it returned in is much more secure than original.

CB

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 08:38:40 AM »
That's great news and pretty much par for the course with H&R, be sure to vote and post a reply in the Ilion Satisfaction Poll.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,150915.msg1098634010.html#msg1098634010