Author Topic: 22 Hornet Oversized Casemouth  (Read 439 times)

Offline TRIGGERTIME

• Trade Count: (0)
22 Hornet Oversized Casemouth
« on: August 03, 2010, 06:23:23 PM »
I recently purchased a used Handi-Rifle in 22 Hornet. It came with lots of Hornady once fired brass. I went to the range yesterday and set up all of my stuff. I wanted to work up a load with some brass I had previously neck sized and primed. Upon charging (12gr LilGun) I tried to seat a bullet (Sierra 40gr SP .224) and found that the case mouth was so large the bullet dropped into the case. It also did this with unsized brass. I have never used a neck sizer die before, but I followed the mfr. directions. Ideas?

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
Re: 22 Hornet Oversize Case Mouth
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 03:05:06 AM »
I would suggest you full length resize first, to see if that properly sizes the neck.

Possibly you could neck size thereafter with good results.
My collet die doesn't resize as tight as full length.

Also, you may not be running the neck sizer die down far enough. It is my understanding,
the shoulder on the die should just barely contact the shoulder on the brass but not
enough to reform the shoulder.
The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 22 Hornet Oversized Casemouth
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 09:20:48 AM »
Sounds like the neck expander is maybe oversize.  It should be at least a few thousands under .224.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 02:21:29 PM »
I agree that it sounds like there maybe a problem with the expander.  However on another note, you stated that you were neck sizing your brass.  I personally have never been successful with neck sizing in a break open rifle.  Because of frame stretch you need to bump the shoulder back a little until the frame locks up easily.  It has been my experience that the gun will not lock consistently in the same place with neck sized cases.  If it does not lock in the same place your groups will suffer.  But I do not own a hornet so they maybe different.

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 05:20:40 PM »
Full length verses neck sizing has nothing to do with the final opening size of the case mouth.  It is "ALL" in the expander nipple ???
NRA Life Member

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 05:43:32 PM »
Full length verses neck sizing has nothing to do with the final opening size of the case mouth.  It is "ALL" in the eapander nipple ???
Didn't say it did, by useing a full length die, which would be a "different" die completely, he could
determine if there was a problem with his collet die.
The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 07:25:08 PM »
I agree that it sounds like there maybe a problem with the expander.  However on another note, you stated that you were neck sizing your brass.  I personally have never been successful with neck sizing in a break open rifle.  Because of frame stretch you need to bump the shoulder back a little until the frame locks up easily.  It has been my experience that the gun will not lock consistently in the same place with neck sized cases.  If it does not lock in the same place your groups will suffer.  But I do not own a hornet so they maybe different.

Bobby

I do understand also that neck and FL sizing has nothing to do with the oversize neck.  Just thought he might save some bullets and frustration.  At least this has been my experience with break opens.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles