Author Topic: Has anyone reamed the 45LC to 460 S&W  (Read 2007 times)

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Has anyone reamed the 45LC to 460 S&W
« on: August 06, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
Thinking about reaming my 45lc to 454 C.  Would there be any reason to ream it to 460sw?  I have a 45/70 that shoots great.  It seem like going to 460 in the small carbines would be overkill.  What ya think?

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Has anyone reamed the 45LC to 460 S&W
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 02:56:40 PM »
It has been done several times over - most notably by Quick and Gendoc.  I had mine reamed out to 454 and learned the hard way that you have to be sure to check that H&R did not cut an oversized chamber to begin with.  The 45 LC is a low pressure round, so you could have an out-of-spec chamber diameter along part of its length and not even notice it in your cases.  Mine is now being redone to a 50 cal to clean the darn thing up - of course, now I have to have a rebore too.  Check out your chamber first.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 03:35:57 PM »
Go for it or the Casull Bobby, how's 2875fps with factory 460 200gr Hornady rounds sound to ya!!  ;D Did mine by hand with a rented reamer.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 04:21:13 PM »
It has been done several times over - most notably by Quick and Gendoc.  I had mine reamed out to 454 and learned the hard way that you have to be sure to check that H&R did not cut an oversized chamber to begin with.  The 45 LC is a low pressure round, so you could have an out-of-spec chamber diameter along part of its length and not even notice it in your cases.  Mine is now being redone to a 50 cal to clean the darn thing up - of course, now I have to have a rebore too.  Check out your chamber first.
What about reaming to 45-75 Winchester?
Bottle necked case about the speeds you want with modern Brass.
Some one was making new 45-75 for remakes and vintage 1876 Win rifles.  The Centenial Model.
And if I remember right the bullets for it are 452 rather than the 458 of the 45-70
Also guessing you could make some 500 S&W necked round to 454 to not have to re bore the rifle.  For that matter a 50 AE or 50GI necked to 454.
Do I hear "454 Guns o fun" as a new round?
454 -500 H& R Handi Express?  Or freight train if you do not like commuter trains.
or  call it by a British version of 500/ 454.

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 04:42:33 PM »
I've put off reaming mine because I've been trying to make that decision myself.  I was even going to buy a reamer and make it available as Tim did with his 357 max reamer.  I just can decide between the 454 Casull and the 460.  CW did his in the Casull because he too had a 45/70.  He seemed happy with his decision.  Tim and John did the 460 and are also happy.  

Hey Where has ole CWlongshot been?

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 04:44:54 PM »
CW was on yesterday, he's busy with other toys this time of year!!  ;D

Tim

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 06:24:58 PM »
I think I would like the Casull.  It really seems of no advantage for me to go to 460.  Its going to kick like a mule, and if I want punishment just grab the 45/70 dump almost 60 grains of 4198 and a little 300 grain bullet and dislocate a shoulder ;D  Wo be unto anything in its way!

Seriously looking at the Casull brass to trim to my chamber, may not really even need reaming?  It can handle the hot loads better from what I understand.

Kevin, I'll be your first customer if you decide to get the reamer.

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Dill45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 08:56:23 PM »
Can the modern H&R frames take a full house 460 S&W load on?  I know a lot of the loads top out around 55-60k PSI for most H&R cartridges, but what about 65k PSI?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 09:01:54 PM »
The SAAMI MAP for the 270Win is 65kpsi, same as the 460S&W which has a case head of just .008" larger than the 270Win, so yes. The 500S&W has SAAMI MAP of 60kpsi and a much larger case head at .526"-.530" depending on who's drawing you look at.

Tim

Bolt Thrust Calculation

Offline Dill45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 09:06:01 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I see now its more than just the pressure generated by the cartridge when it's fired.

Hmm....I want a 460 barrel now...

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 12:00:10 AM »
I carry  .460 Smith, a carbine in that cartridge might be helpful.  May look for a 45LC gun.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 01:30:56 AM »
hey sourdough,  they do make a nice couple....... but both will wear you down on a long stalk in tha brush.
i think my handgun weighs more than the handi !!! :D ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 03:29:29 AM »
What about reaming to 45-75 Winchester?
Bottle necked case about the speeds you want with modern Brass.
Some one was making new 45-75 for remakes and vintage 1876 Win rifles.  The Centenial Model.
And if I remember right the bullets for it are 452 rather than the 458 of the 45-70
Also guessing you could make some 500 S&W necked round to 454 to not have to re bore the rifle.  For that matter a 50 AE or 50GI necked to 454.
Do I hear "454 Guns o fun" as a new round?
454 -500 H& R Handi Express?  Or freight train if you do not like commuter trains.
or  call it by a British version of 500/ 454.

It is going to be a 50 Alaskan.  Long story - detailed in another post.  I could have shot it as a 454 - but the brass life would have been very short indeed.  Others here have had good luck reaming their own.  Sometimes with the H&R barrels, it's a crap shoot (WHOA -don't want to start a fight or anything).

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 05:01:52 AM »
And for those comtemplating this, or other similar conversions, as regards the 'oversize factory chambers':
Get some 'cerro-safe' (sp?), I know, its kinda pricey, but you can reuse it forever, and do a chamber cast. With it properly done you can see, 3 dimensionally, your actual chamber, throat, and the leade portion of your rifling, and measure each, as needed. It can weed out those chambers ahead of time, and expense and dissapointment. What price would you put on that?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 05:45:11 AM »
Best price I've found on Cerrosafe is at Track of the Wolf, used to be $11 a couple years ago, but they went up like everything else, still cheaper than anyone else I've seen. Complete chamber casting links can be found in the FAQs.

Tim

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partdetail.aspx?catid=2&subid=204&styleid=1074&partnum=cerrosafe&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1&as=1

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 07:28:35 AM »
bout 50 or so years ago, i watched my father do a chamber cast with wax !!!!
several steps are involved, but much easier than lead. and cleaning is a breeze.
i still use that when i need to check suspected problems.
i have used lead too. the wax, when properly applied and seasoned works just as good.

guess i've been lucky with my stock 45colt, rechambered casull and .460.
all 3 have great chambers and shoot very well with developed handloads.

i have seen people try to ream without removing the extractor !!! ::)

not only will it destroy the reamer, it will cause a wallered out chamber  :o

but i'm sure there are some here that have done it successfully. i wud'nt try it.

some say "no need for a .460 if ya got a 45/70".....   why not !!! ifin its what ya want, go for it !!!
i did and i'm happy wif alla them  ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.