Author Topic: Problems with Plated bullets??  (Read 598 times)

Offline wallacem

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
Problems with Plated bullets??
« on: August 06, 2010, 04:16:56 PM »
Guys, I was reading on another site someone saying that plated bullets takes some kind of special attention in reloading.  I just bought a big box of 180 gr 40 cal plated bullets, and was planning to use them just like they were cast bullets.  Can someone tell me what I need to know about loading these plated bullets?  I can't imagine there could be any danger.  Thanks,  Wallacem in Ga

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Problems with Plated bullets??
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 02:09:23 AM »
ive used thousands of them and never seen where they needed special attention.
blue lives matter

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 09:25:50 AM »
Wallacem, you just have to keep the velocity similar to a cast lead bullet and be careful not to cut through the plating by applying too much crimp.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 11:51:42 AM »
Lloyd, I assume this would also apply to copper coated bullets..maybe that is plating...but several years ago when I spent several mths. in Oreg. I found a little gunshop with all kinds of neat bullets.. many hand cast...they shoot good, so they must have been done by someone who knew the score...in the same place I found cast bullets in .44 that were copper coated...they were cheap, the guy said they came out of an estate...so I bought like 500 or 1000, they are sitting in my loading room, I felt I could load them as cast, but wasn't sure...I remember when I saw Elmer the last time, he had some copper coated cast bullets......so from what I see here, my cast data will be fine...